ADVERTISEMENT

Rules changes for football in 2015

Lot of room for judgement on those changes.

I wish the NFHS would have banned Wing T Offense as part of rule changes.

With respect to the "excessive contact" rule, what are some examples of what would be called, and what will be allowed? If the offended player does excessive acting to try to get a call, is there any rule that allows a penalty to be called for this?

Other than tackles such as in this video, I can't think of many that aren't covered by existing rules, As I mentioned in another thread, the biggest threat to the existence of high school football comes from liability insurance actuaries. Football has risks associated with playing, but hits that are deemed more than just football -- hits that could be viewed as intended to injure -- have to be removed from football or there's no way any school division will be able to afford the insurance required to field a team.

Some plays that I've discussed are the victory formation, where a defensive player drills an offensive player right after the snap. Thing is, there are existing rules that cover this.

Tackle that's now illegal in NCAA and NFHS

Originally posted by DinwiddieProud:
With respect to the "excessive contact" rule, what are some examples of what would be called, and what will be allowed?
Is there suggested guidance or rules coverage on a "defenseless player" who should be protected from unnecessary roughness? Yes, defenseless players are especially vulnerable to potential injury. Game officials must diligently observe all action and watch for contact against players who are deemed defenseless. Examples include, but are not limited to:

(a) A quarterback moving down the line of scrimmage who has handed or pitched the ball to a teammate, and then makes no attempt to participate further in the play;
(b) A kicker who is in the act of kicking the ball, or who has not had a reasonable amount of time to regain his balance after the kick;
(c) A passer who is in the act of throwing the ball, or who has not had a reasonable length of time to participate in the play again after releasing the ball;
(d) A pass receiver whose concentration is on the ball and the contact by the defender is unrelated to attempting to catch the ball;
(e) A pass receiver who has clearly relaxed when he has missed the pass or feels he can no longer catch the pass;
(f) A kick returner attempting to catch a kick;
(g) A kick receiver who is immediately contacted after touching the ball;
(h) A player on the ground;
(i) Any player who has relaxed once the ball has become dead;
(j) A player who receives a blind-side block;
(k) A ball carrier already in the grasp of an opponent and whose forward progress has been stopped; and
(l) Any player who is obviously out of the play.
The game official must draw distinction between contact necessary to make a legal block or tackle, and that which targets defenseless players.
If the offended player does excessive acting to try to get a call, is there any rule that allows a penalty to be called for this?
No.

Thanks guys.

A few opinions.

(a) one of the defensive strategies to take away an option play is to always tackle the QB. Knowing the success of the play is in a large part based on the QB holding the ball until the very last second, does this rule impact this strategy?

(g) how long does a kick receiver get before he can be hit?

(d) is this saying that you must give a receiver time to complete the catch? Before the ball gets there, no problem, I understand that. But, the receiver is reaching to catch the ball and the defender times his tackle well, the receiver is vulnerable, but what's a defender to do?

(k) a real judgement call for you guys. We have all seen scrums that go on too long, and others that appear stalemated and the runner breaks free. Deciding if forward progress has stopped is for the officias to determine, not the players. I see a lot of bad calls if officials drag out blowing the whistle to end the play, and if good judgement does not prevail.

Unofficially, how do you guys react when you see a player over reacting to a hit, etc., meaning acting?

DP

Excessive acting should result in a flag, and 15 yards marked off, and loss of down. If players want to act, they should quit football and join drama team.

I don't know of anybody that likes showboating. Having said that, I don't think football needs to go into judging if a player was "acting" to gain consideration for a penalty. Officials already have a tough enough job judging what's going on. No need to add to their burden.

What is the penalty for excessive celebration, and acts like that, now? 5 yards? This might be a stretch, but if a player was really going overboard again and again, and he had reason to know he was pushing the limits of the officials, maybe they could call "delay of game"?

A player who puts on an act to draw a penalty is penalized by being laughed at by officials and opponents, and almost always admonished by teammates.

Excessive celebration is a 15 yard penalty. Most coaches are far more intolerant of it than officials. It's classless and reflects on the coach and the school.

Basketball

I think excessive celebrations are more of a problem in BB than football. Now on many dunks and 3 pointers, the shooter will scream and make an ______ of himself. This should result in a "T".

Re: New Rules

Sorry HR6, from the list of new rules above, and contrary to your "fight", it seems as though the Wing-T and running the football will still be legal next season
party0002.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 3/31 8:53 AM by gymrat10

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT