ADVERTISEMENT

Salem/Lions.

I've been to all the state games at LU and there have been team fans that have outnumbered Salem. Dinwiddie, Christiansburg, Amherst, Sherando, Richlands and Louisa that I recall. Brookville had a decent crowd. The other schools wouldn't compare because of distance traveled.
Funny when Salem played all those teams, they didn't outnumbered the Salem fans. Maybe a lot of people showed up for the State game that normally doesn't go. Not to mention that some fans are from other teams that have been eliminated. Who knows. Like I said earlier. You can have 5 fans or 5,000 fans. The only thing that matters is the play in the field. I bet Lake Taylor had the smallest crowds.

Last edited:
I've been to all the state games at LU and there have been team fans that have outnumbered Salem. Dinwiddie, Christiansburg, Amherst, Sherando, Richlands and Louisa that I recall. Brookville had a decent crowd. The other schools wouldn't compare because of distance traveled.
I will say Amherst brought a lot of fans to Salem when we had those epic battles in Regions. Some of the largest combined crowds I've seen at Salem Stadium

Reactions: MaroonandGold29
They made changes for LT and Louisa in the state games. And that's just off the top of my head.
Did not say they wouldn't make changes if necessary. I highly doubt Salem has #73 or #51 playing O-line for this game. The less 2 way players the better. Could they play if needed? Yes

Funny when Salem played all those teams, they didn't outnumbered the Salem fans. Maybe alot if people showed up for the State game that normally doesn't go. Who knows. Like I said earlier. You can have 5 fans or 5,000 fans. The only thing that matters is the play in the field. I bet Lake Taylor had the smallest crowds.
Louisa probably had more fans in 2017 than Salem. Didn’t affect the outcome but that was the only time I’ve seen Salem be outnumbered. We saw that ridiculous debate on the 3A boards about LCA having home field advantage and more fans, but it doesn’t mean a hill or bean. It’s all about who’s most prepared, coached and ready to play that day.

Louisa probably had more fans in 2017 than Salem. Didn’t affect the outcome but that was the only time I’ve seen Salem be outnumbered. We saw that ridiculous debate on the 3A boards about LCA having home field advantage and more fans, but it doesn’t mean a hill or bean. It’s all about who’s most prepared, coached and ready to play that day.
It didn't help that Salem had to travel 3hrs and 38m to W&M on the back end of a 3 peat. 100% agree with your above statement.

I will say Amherst brought a lot of fans to Salem when we had those epic battles in Regions. Some of the largest combined crowds I've seen at Salem Stadium
Right up there with the 11,000-12,000+ for Salem and Pulaski in the late 80's early 90's.. Nothing like winning a $4000+ 50/50

Well enough about crowd size. Let's talk a little football. In my humble opinion Salem will now begin a series of games (or game if they lose) that the opponent will be good enough to take away Salems grind it out ball possession offense. So if Salem wants to advance they will have to be innovative in getting ball to number 11 Chauncey Logan. Long passes, short passes, screens, hand it to him or let him run wildcat, Logan is a difference maker. He is most likely the best player on the field in every game. He has to touch it.

Did not say they wouldn't make changes if necessary. I highly doubt Salem has #73 or #51 playing O-line for this game. The less 2 way players the better. Could they play if needed? Yes
Yep, they are the two best OL on the team but they haven't played one snap of offense all year. Neither will play offense barring injuries, imo.

Reactions: SFUWO
Pandemic, time of games, population getting older in Virginia. All of these have played a factor in attendance. Also, more games are available digitally.

Reactions: bulldog1150
Pandemic, time of games, population getting older in Virginia. All of these have played a factor in attendance. Also, more games are available digitally.
I watched Salem / Amherst game on line last week (Free). Bathroom, Fridge (stocked with adult beverages) just a few steps away, and my comfy recliner. Why go to a game and put up with the hassles.

Let's face it. It is easy to judge but even the great Mike Salem has to have help to get to games.

Reactions: gwb16
Well enough about crowd size. Let's talk a little football. In my humble opinion Salem will now begin a series of games (or game if they lose) that the opponent will be good enough to take away Salems grind it out ball possession offense. So if Salem wants to advance they will have to be innovative in getting ball to number 11 Chauncey Logan. Long passes, short passes, screens, hand it to him or let him run wildcat, Logan is a difference maker. He is most likely the best player on the field in every game. He has to touch it.
Just talking about the football game is only a guessing game. Louisa is 1b after Martinsburg at 1a as Salem’s best opponent this year. Both teams gonna play smash mouth football. If Louisa can stop those 4 yard a pop runs by Salem then the Lions will win. If Salem stops Wilson/Smith, they win. Thing is, Logan is good but I won’t go as far to say he’s the best player on the field tonight. Jordan Smith is damn good too and probably has something to say about that.

Yes we did. I just look at some photos from those games. It was completely full. I miss those days.

Reactions: SFUWO
Just talking about the football game is only a guessing game. Louisa is 1b after Martinsburg at 1a as Salem’s best opponent this year. Both teams gonna play smash mouth football. If Louisa can stop those 4 yard a pop runs by Salem then the Lions will win. If Salem stops Wilson/Smith, they win. Thing is, Logan is good but I won’t go as far to say he’s the best player on the field tonight. Jordan Smith is damn good too and probably has something to say about that.
The best FOOTBALL PLAYER on the field tonight will not touch the ball.... Unless he scoops a fumble or pics a ball off. CM51 is a Dude. If ya don't know, now you know.

The best FOOTBALL PLAYER on the field tonight will not touch the ball.... Unless he scoops a fumble or pics a ball off. CM51 is a Dude. If ya don't know, now you know.
He’s good too. Louisa and Salem both have very good players. Hard to say who’s the best.

This one is going to be low scoring in my opinion. Give me Salem 17-14. If it was in Louisa, I would reverse the score.

One thing is for sure. Louisa will have to play perfect from a discipline point. Salem is usually well coached and pretty disciplined, especially at home. Louisa shouldn't expect any 50/50 calls to go their way at Salem. Salem will always get the 50/50 call in their favor at home.

One thing is for sure. Louisa will have to play perfect from a discipline point. Salem is usually well coached and pretty disciplined, especially at home. Louisa shouldn't expect any 50/50 calls to go their way at Salem. Salem will always get the 50/50 call in their favor at home.
That is absolute bullshit.

Embarrassing. I honestly thought we were a 7-3, 6-4 team after the KG game anyway, but we look completely uncoached and unprepared. Disgraceful.

It happens! Great teams or great opponents can bring out the worst in your team or any team. Its Salem, reguardless of thier yearly talent or lack there of, they have a pedigree!! Suck it up, dont pout and move on to weight training and looking forward to Aug 2022. You had another great year will a lesser formidable team than usual. Next year, if not for Wilson returning, might take another step backwards. Albemarle, Orange with 17 starters back and Louisa will be early leaders of Jefferson next year.

Embarrassing. I honestly thought we were a 7-3, 6-4 team after the KG game anyway, but we look completely uncoached and unprepared. Disgraceful.
Should not have gone for it in 4th down inside of 30.

@SFUWO there're way too many things this coach does that scream lack of common sense.

Salem has common sense. That's the most glaring difference.

Louisa just not as good as Salem, that’s it that’s the truth. The lions are being tamed.

@SFUWO there're way too many things this coach does that scream lack of common sense.

Salem has common sense. That's the most glaring difference.
Also team speed/quickness favored Salem and Salem was much much better fundamentally.
Also Lions weren't the first team to come into Salem stadium and look shell shocked

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT