ADVERTISEMENT

Salem vs. EC Glass

Who wins and why?

• Salem Spartans

Votes: 27 75.0%
  • EC Glass

Votes: 9 25.0%

• Total voters
Respect what the Glass coaches are doing but hard to pick against the Spartans in this one. Thought Glass would beat Salem with Kendrick and a loaded team a few years back but couldn’t. Hope I’m wrong, I’d like to see the Hilltoppers represent the 434 in the states. Salem is clicking at the right time. Wilson has been there before and Peyton Lewis is a man amongst boys. Glass let Halifax hang 32 on them, mannn as much as I think George White is the best QB in 4D, I don’t see them matching Salem score for score.

Salem is Salem. Interesting. What really does that mean. I'll try to begin. I'm sure others will add. Remember PG.
Consistent
Physical

Reactions: VolNation85
Salem is Salem. Interesting. What really does that mean. I'll try to begin. I'm sure others will add. Remember PG.
Consistent
Physical
Salem is Salem. Not a knock by any means. It is respect in the highest regard. Salem is a program, a dynasty. The expectation is a state championship and nothing less. Y’all are fundamentally sound, balanced on offense and play great defense which equals championships. Salem played football last night and have hit their playoff gear.

Consistent
Physical
Salem is Salem is just that. It's a respect thing. Like last night if anyone else with Salems season record ect. I'd be surprised that they beat Louisa. But Salem they could be 0-10 an I'd still wouldn't be surprised they won.

Respect what the Glass coaches are doing but hard to pick against the Spartans in this one. Thought Glass would beat Salem with Kendrick and a loaded team a few years back but couldn’t. Hope I’m wrong, I’d like to see the Hilltoppers represent the 434 in the states. Salem is clicking at the right time. Wilson has been there before and Peyton Lewis is a man amongst boys. Glass let Halifax hang 32 on them, mannn as much as I think George White is the best QB in 4D, I don’t see them matching Salem score for score.
Glass had the squad to do it in 2019, but they were not very disciplined. I love what Glass has done with their coaching staff since then, but if I’m honest, this EC Glass team is not disciplined at all. Turnover prone, too many penalties, personal fouls and unsportsmanlikes, but yet have managed to win 11 games. If they can be disciplined, they can win this game. If they don’t have a mindset of “let’s go to work” they will get blown out at home.

If Salem wins, don’t blame the refs if Glass doesn’t play a clean game. and if a bad call is made, keep your composure. That has also messed us up in previous years.

Fundamentally on defense particularly the front 8, they are great. Secondary has been suspect since the summer. Salem offense was balanced vs Louisa and that’s a big challenge for Glass. Over the years, Glass has struggled with teams that can run AND pass. 3rd down and 4th downs stops will be crucial. If you don’t do the little things right on defense, Salem will make you pay. Persinger off tackle gave Glass fits in 2019. I expect Salem to let Lewis loose Friday.

Offense just needs to execute and hold on to the football. Simple as that. Don’t get away from what you do best. Run the ball.

George White, Vari Gilbert , and Maquwan Farmer were freshman on the sideline in that 2019 game. They will need to be leaders this week and make sure everyone is locked in.

Gimme Glass!

Glass had the squad to do it in 2019, but they were not very disciplined. I love what Glass has done with their coaching staff since then, but if I’m honest, this EC Glass team is not disciplined at all. Turnover prone, too many penalties, personal fouls and unsportsmanlikes, but yet have managed to win 11 games. If they can be disciplined, they can win this game. If they don’t have a mindset of “let’s go to work” they will get blown out at home.

If Salem wins, don’t blame the refs if Glass doesn’t play a clean game. and if a bad call is made, keep your composure. That has also messed us up in previous years.

Fundamentally on defense particularly the front 8, they are great. Secondary has been suspect since the summer. Salem offense was balanced vs Louisa and that’s a big challenge for Glass. Over the years, Glass has struggled with teams that can run AND pass. 3rd down and 4th downs stops will be crucial. If you don’t do the little things right on defense, Salem will make you pay. Persinger off tackle gave Glass fits in 2019. I expect Salem to let Lewis loose Friday.

Offense just needs to execute and hold on to the football. Simple as that. Don’t get away from what you do best. Run the ball.

George White, Vari Gilbert , and Maquwan Farmer were freshman on the sideline in that 2019 game. They will need to be leaders this week and make sure everyone is locked in.

Gimme Glass!
Salem does fine passing the ball when they don't have to. Now if you stop the run and they have to pass, then that usually doesn't go well for Salem.

Consistent
Physical
I like the explanations provided above and I also have used the statement "Salem just being Salem". This and "Salem is Salem" has a slightly different meaning to me.

1. Salem may not lose the first three weeks, but sometimes the Spartans struggle.
2. Based on the above some Spartans fan's go off the deep end and start questioning coaches, players and schemes.
3. The scheme/philosophy generally remains the same. It works. With most teams playing the spread the power I and traps make Salem very tough to defend.
4. Salem like Louisa, Dinwiddie, and King George are one school cities/counties who have excellent youth feeder programs.
5. By game 8 Salem coaches have figured things out and Spartan posters who expressed their disdain early have rejoined the crew and are now pleased with the play calling and coaching
6. Salem enters the playoffs hot and marches on to the same beat.
7. There is an occasional hiccup and a loss in the region final or state semi, but that's a rarity. Better get em early.
8. The City of Salem has to change the signs that say State football Champs............ Pretty soon it's going to be a bill board.

That's my take. There is hope for non Salem fans it's just takes a special team with a different scheme to beat the Spartans. Some people are envious and talk junk about Salem. In Dinwiddie we hold the Salem program in high esteem. We don't have the state championships banners, but we have the same consistency and expectations every year. Good luck to the Spartans. Yes it is Salem being Salem again. If you don't like it got to stop it.

4-4 I believe. Losses to LB, GW, Brookville and Heritage. Last years JV was really good. All those guys are on varsity now.
Spartans JV had an off year too. Any D1 or offered guys for the Toppers? Any cool things to look forward to playing at City Stadium? Might make the trip. Certainly don’t want a repeat of the 86 game!

Spartans JV had an off year too. Any D1 or offered guys for the Toppers? Any cool things to look forward to playing at City Stadium? Might make the trip. Certainly don’t want a repeat of the 86 game!
In terms of D1 guys George White the Qb committed to William and Mary(PWO), and WR Vari Gilbert has a D2 and NAIA offer I believe. That's all I know. City Stadium has been renovated in the last couple of years, and it looks really nice. Especially the entrance. Unfortunately with crime going up in Lynchburg you will be checked before entering the stadium, and they have a gate between the sides.

But other than that, I look forward to being at City Stadium on Friday nights. It's not quite on Salem, or Louisa's level, but great place to play a football game.

you need to watch film
If Salem could have kept the Freshman Glenvar QB Dawyot, Salem would have been in great shape this year and next 3 years. As is, they will only go as far as running game takes them. Could be a championship, but I doubt a strong running game is sustainable with what the caliber of teams awaits them.

• Wow
Reactions: lyhsports
Isn't Heritage at home if LCA Loses? Doesn't Heritage get first choice since Heritage beat Glass in the regular season?
Yes, Heritage would be home if LCA loses. But, from my understanding, Heritage chose first this past week, that's why Glass played on Thursday.

Reactions: lyhsports
If Salem could have kept the Freshman Glenvar QB Dawyot, Salem would have been in great shape this year and next 3 years. As is, they will only go as far as running game takes them. Could be a championship, but I doubt a strong running game is sustainable with what the caliber of teams awaits them.
Any idea about the last freshman to start at QB for the Spartans? For that matter freshmen starting anywhere in the Spartan lineup? Seems like the history and style of play which has won and will continue to win Salem a lot of ballgames is probably a big consideration. Kids are rarely patient to wait their turns and really stable consistent programs run on an established development pipeline.

Brody has been impressive as Glenvar's QB, but if he were at Salem he would have been playing JV. DaRon Wilson is a Sr and helped lead the Spartans to a championship as a Soph. Salem is a run 1st program, but make no mistake Daron is a very good QB. The competition will get tougher and Salem will need to be balanced like last night, but the passing game is very good.

Reactions: cutnjump
Any idea about the last freshman to start at QB for the Spartans? For that matter freshmen starting anywhere in the Spartan lineup? Seems like the history and style of play which has won and will continue to win Salem a lot of ballgames is probably a big consideration. Kids are rarely patient to wait their turns and really stable consistent programs run on an established development pipeline.
Most recently, I know Chauncey Logan started as a Fresh at CB.

Reactions: cutnjump
Brody has been impressive as Glenvar's QB, but if he were at Salem he would have been playing JV. DaRon Wilson is a Sr and helped lead the Spartans to a championship as a Soph. Salem is a run 1st program, but make no mistake Daron is a very good QB. The competition will get tougher and Salem will need to be balanced like last night, but the passing game is very good.
I see what you are saying. But as a coach, I want the best 11 players on the field. Just because you are a Jr. or Sr. doesn't automatically make you the best option. That's probably why he left the program.

Reactions: MaroonDude
I see what you are saying. But as a coach, I want the best 11 players on the field. Just because you are a Jr. or Sr. doesn't automatically make you the best option. That's probably why he left the program.
That has nothing to do with why the Dawyot family moved. Brody would have almost for sure started as a sophomore QB at Salem if he stayed next year... which is pretty rare for Salem.

Unfortunately, while Salem is going to be LOADED next year they really don't have any natural QBs with big talent currently on the team behind DaRon Wilson.

The good news is that next year's incoming freshmen class was even more dominant at Andrew Lewis this past year than this outstanding current junior class was.

Daron is the best fit for this team. He's a leader, can throw the ball well, and is one of the fastest players on the team. Daywot would have had a good shot at QB for Salem next year, if he had stayed, but we wish him well at Glenvar and move on.

Reactions: RKE Fan and SFUWO
Salem does fine passing the ball when they don't have to. Now if you stop the run and they have to pass, then that usually doesn't go well for Salem.
I think that's more on the defense than the lack of Salem being able to throw the ball when they have to.

Daron is the best fit for this team. He's a leader, can throw the ball well, and is one of the fastest players on the team. Daywot would have had a good shot at QB for Salem next year, if he had stayed, but we wish him well at Glenvar and move on.
It's a mute point anyway. Just saying Salem would have been set at QB for the future.

Yep I've heard this before. Think it was around 2013 and 2014. The West will never beat the East. We all know how that ended. Programs develop kids. Dawyot is a great kid and will be great for Glenvar.

No coach whose long term job security depends upon winning is going to put anything other than the best 11 players on the field that give him what he considers the best shot to win. The class of a player doesn't necessarily determine that nor does raw, physical ability, especially at the QB position.

Salem has a tremendous program, solidly constructed on foundational principles. It is why, at least in my opinion, you always here the words Salem does what they do. Coach White built the initial foundation, Coach Magenbauer refined and built on that foundation and now Coach Holter continues it. The kids that want to play there by the rules are embraced and the kids that want something different are wished the best as they move on. The results speak for themselves I think.

I watched Martinsburg and PH. I wasn't impressed.
Martinsburg would arguably be a favorite to win C4 if they were in VA. I'm sure you can say your not impressed most yrs about Salem. That's fine.

Martinsburg would arguably be a favorite to win C4 if they were in VA. I'm sure you can say your not impressed most yrs about Salem. That's fine.
Talking about QB play that is lacking during games which running game is virtually non-existent.
Not Salem in general.

Salem has always been exceptionally good at developing talent. Good community support. Really good youth football. Reminiscent of what you see at some Catholic schools.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1Gensfan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT