ADVERTISEMENT

Salem vs Handley

Who wins?

• Salem

Votes: 23 95.8%
  • Handley

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters
Handley will have to find success in the running game to make this a close game. I see Salem winning by 2 scores

Handley will have to find success in the running game to make this a close game. I see Salem winning by 2 scores

Would consider this an incredibly bad omen for anything beyond if all they can do is win by two scores.

Lost by 10 to 4-7 Musselman out of WV. Lost by 14 to Brentsville District. Lost by 25 to Kettle Run. Best win against 7-4 Millbrook, whom they beat twice. All other wins against teams that finished sub-.500 and only one actually dominating win period (48-7 over a hapless Warren County).

Salem is in prime form right now, firing on all cylinders. Don't see any way Handley holds such a balanced offense down while also finding the EZ against one of C4's best defenses.

Would consider this an incredibly bad omen for anything beyond if all they can do is win by two scores.

Lost by 10 to 4-7 Musselman out of WV. Lost by 14 to Brentsville District. Lost by 25 to Kettle Run. Best win against 7-4 Millbrook, whom they beat twice. All other wins against teams that finished sub-.500 and only one actually dominating win period (48-7 over a hapless Warren County).

Salem is in prime form right now, firing on all cylinders. Don't see any way Handley holds such a balanced offense down while also finding the EZ against one of C4's best defenses.
Why not toss Liberty Bealton in there as well. Handley was up 21-0 in the first quarter.
I was being generous with my score. That being at least 2 scores. Anything can happen in a game and teams matchup different with each other.

Taylor has been on fire since his return from the collarbone injury. With what’s he’s been able to do, it makes them exponentially more difficult to defend. Salem is not just their traditional “catch you sleeping with a play action once in a while”. Taylor is carving up the secondary with hitches, outs, posts, and screens. Then it’s almost a given that Garner is going to get behind the safety for at least one or two huge plays a game. Add in Lewis running behind a much improved O line, and points are on the board in a hurry.

That being said, Handley seems to have figured some things out and is playing their best ball of season when it counts. They have some size up front and speed in the skill positions as well as some bonafide playmakers. From what I’ve seen, they’ve scored a lot on some direct snap and read option packages with occasional pass plays to try and keep defenses honest. With that, they kind of remind me of Christiansburg. I expect a similar game with it being probably a score closer.

Last edited:
Reactions: mike salem
I’ll give Handley some leeway for losing to musselman to open the year. They’re a a new staff and musselman, while pretty awful by their standards this year, is a proud and well coached program. And their(musselman’s) record is a little harsh. They have 7 losses, all came against playoff teams, and only 1 came against a team that isn’t still playing this week. Not a good team, but not dreadful either.

That being said, I’d be surprised if Salem has any trouble here. Handley has some real size(including two brothers that are just huge, only sophomores or freshman I believe, can’t recall exactly), but they’re just not that good from what I can gleam from scoreboard watching. Millbrook is just ok, Sherando a little worse. I really haven’t been impressed with anyone I’ve seen from Winchester or loudoun(outside of SB, and even there not by their standards). I’d expect a genuine contender in 4A to be dominant in that field, handley has not been near that level.

Who’s got a good break down on Handley? Know zero about them

From what I can glean from articles, very run-heavy offense (300+ ypg average). Both TBs over 1k rushing on the season on 10+ ypc and the QB can contribute as well. They also seem to run direct-snap packages with both TBs, too.

Last edited:
From what I can glean from articles, very run-heavy offense (300+ ypg average). Both TBs over 1k rushing on the season on 10+ ypc and the QB can contribute as well. They also seem to run direct-snap packages with both TBs, too.
You are spot on @1MoreHokie. Against Sherando they ran for 300+ and only threw for 15. The highlights I viewed showed a pistol formation with some wildcat mixed in. Their running backs are capable of breaking a long one. I just don't see the Salem front seven being challenged by Handley. Especially when you can push the defensive backs up to help out.

If Salem's offense is rolling this game could potentially be over rather quickly.

Reactions: SFUWO
Seen not a mention ever but something I've picked up on for awhile is Salem defensive adjustments. They're filthy, especially after the half. Against the first team D, the only teams to score after the half is LCA once and PH once. In particular, the first drive is by far the shakiest for the defense (if I'm doing my math right and my memorization is good, 28 of the 61 points given up by the first team defense has come this way) and they tighten way down immediately.

Not sure if I haven't always been noticing but just seems such a stark contrast in the D this year to me, maybe more than ever before. They're vulnerable very early and then almost never again. Not exactly sure what to attribute this to either.

Good golly, not a single vote for Handley. There must not be a single Judges fan on the forum?

BTW, if you have never attended a game at Handley, you really need to.
Can someone post that drone video of the stadium that was floating around about 10 years ago, please?

Good golly, not a single vote for Handley. There must not be a single Judges fan on the forum?

BTW, if you have never attended a game at Handley, you really need to.
Can someone post that drone video of the stadium that was floating around about 10 years ago, please?
I remember that. Nice video.

Handley has a speedy running back , some solid athletes through out the roster. A much more physical Handley team than normal . Line play is not too bad , and QB can complete the normal pass, but not spectacular . All of this is not on the caliber of a Salem team, but if you are comparing teams I would say they are much like the Glass team that Sherando played last week.

Salem also has the four kids that won the indoor 4 x 200 relay nationals on their football team

Salem got worked.
And. They have been beaten before and will definitely lose to some team in the future. Martinsburg got worked by Highland Springs last yr. It happens
Like I said what does this have to do with this post?

The entire Salem football program & the officiating needs to be investigated for all home playoff games moving forward. What a huge joke of a program! Salem is not a good vhsl or any high school football program. Unnecessary flags thrown when the visiting team dominates & runs all over them. Unacceptable!
Take the L son. You are embarrassing yourself and the Handley fan base.

Reactions: RKE Fan
The entire Salem football program & the officiating needs to be investigated for all home playoff games moving forward. What a huge joke of a program! Salem is not a good vhsl or any high school football program. Unnecessary flags thrown when the visiting team dominates & runs all over them. Unacceptable!
Funny how Martinsburg, Amherst, Dinwiddie Co, LCA, Jefferson Forrest, Tuscarora and Broad Run have won games at Salem 🤔🤔

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT