ADVERTISEMENT

Salem vs. Lake Taylor

I like Salem's chances this year, more than last year. If Salem can pick up good yardage thru the air, their chances are increased. But this game is "too close to call"

Salem is better equipped this year but will have to make very very few mistakes. Good news is Salem is narrowing the athletic gap and should be even more athletic the next two years. Salem will have 7 starters back on defense and six on offense.

Salem is far from the favorite... If Vegas had this game LT would be a 2 TD favorite at minimum. #shocktheworld
Well don't tell the USA Today computer. I remember the 2008 national ranking we had 2 teams in the top 40. The lower ranked team went Hogwarts on the higher ranked team. Maxpreps has Salem ranked ahead of LT. There it is #3 vs #11. gilliamratings has Salem ranked ahead of LT also. The point I'm making is graduation hurts. If a team can't be beat one year, walking across that stage will help ensure it is more likely. I'm just not buying the whole, "Alas, we are underdogs, we shall shock the world" concerning Salem. 3 experts in the field of high school football say Salem is not the underdog and that LT is. But in order to be the champ...

Well don't tell the USA Today computer. I remember the 2008 national ranking we had 2 teams in the top 40. The lower ranked team went Hogwarts on the higher ranked team. Maxpreps has Salem ranked ahead of LT. There it is #3 vs #11. gilliamratings has Salem ranked ahead of LT also. The point I'm making is graduation hurts. If a team can't be beat one year, walking across that stage will help ensure it is more likely. I'm just not buying the whole, "Alas, we are underdogs, we shall shock the world" concerning Salem. 3 experts in the field of high school football say Salem is not the underdog and that LT is. But in order to be the champ...
The so called "experts" spend too much time looking at stats and scores on a computer and rarely if ever watch the teams play. I saw the LT vs Salem game last year and can promise you Salem is a clear underdog in this game. In fact, Salem will more than likely have to play the best they have all season to keep the game competitive.

Last edited:
Reactions: shsspartan/taknight
The so called "experts" spend too much time looking at stats and scores on a computer and rarely is ever watch the teams play. I saw the LT vs Salem game last year and can promise you Salem is a clear underdog in this game. In fact, Salem will more than likely have to play the best they have all season to keep the game competitive.

I'll put my record of watching teams live and on film up against anyone in the state.

I'll put my record of watching teams live and on film up against anyone in the state.
I agree with you Rod. You are not one of the uninformed experts I was referring to. The earlier poster was referencing USA Today and Maxpreps as saying they consider Salem to be the higher ranked team and favored to beat LT. I would be willing to bet that no one from either of those has seen LT or Salem play on film, much less in person.

Rod who would you consider the favorite to be and by how much?

I agree with you Rod. You are not one of the uninformed experts I was referring to. The earlier poster was referencing USA Today and Maxpreps as saying they consider Salem to be the higher ranked team and favored to beat LT. I would be willing to bet that no one from either of those has seen LT or Salem play on film, much less in person.

Rod who would you consider the favorite to be and by how much?

My prediction, were I the one writing the 4A preview, would have been Lake Taylor 30, Salem 17

I have seen both teams play. Yes, I have seen full games for LT. My prediction: Salem 38 LT 28
Of course that's your unbiased opinion. I've seen Salem too on film. I won't make a prediction, but someone will be right after tomorrow night. GL to both teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Of course that's your unbiased opinion. I've seen Salem too on film. I won't make a prediction, but someone will be right after tomorrow night. GL to both teams.
Please don't think I'm saying LT can't beat Salem. Your team is talented. Actually, I try to be pretty realistic in my predictions. I think the score is possible, but anything can happen. I've been pretty close in all the games I've predicted. Predicting scores has become a superstition for me. It's a ritual I have to complete! I'll be the first one to admit I'm wrong, but I have a feeling...Yes, good luck to both teams!

I was wondering if you knew the Spartans were ranked #1 in Virginia by USA Today? LT is #8.
Please provide a link. So you are saying Salem is ranked higher than Oscar Smith, Highland Springs, Massaponax, LT, Ocean Lakes, etc? Some of these teams have multiple D1 recruits which is part of their equation obviously because they can't watch every team. Nothing against Salem but it's not making sense to me.

Th
The so called "experts" spend too much time looking at stats and scores on a computer and rarely if ever watch the teams play. I saw the LT vs Salem game last year and can promise you Salem is a clear underdog in this game. In fact, Salem will more than likely have to play the best they have all season to keep the game competitive.
Sorry but that's not completely true. I've talked to a few national level high school reporters over the years at games in Virginia. You have to realize that we've had a couple of high profile programs over the years that attracted the attention. Hampton, Phoebus, Curry, Harvin, Landstown, Royal, Westfield; names are pointless. I have seen teams in person that they've ranked. gilliamratings is really good with his power rating system. He has has been at it for years and I think he has been to one or two games. Many of these journalists didn't just wake up one morning and start writing down team names. I don't think it can ever be a perfect system but many of those teams in the top 20 are there for a reason. Hopefully it won't been the wash out that it was the last two years.

Th

Sorry but that's not completely true. I've talked to a few national level high school reporters over the years at games in Virginia. You have to realize that we've had a couple of high profile programs over the years that attracted the attention. Hampton, Phoebus, Curry, Harvin, Landstown, Royal, Westfield; names are pointless. I have seen teams in person that they've ranked. gilliamratings is really good with his power rating system. He has has been at it for years and I think he has been to one or two games. Many of these journalists didn't just wake up one morning and start writing down team names. I don't think it can ever be a perfect system but many of those teams in the top 20 are there for a reason. Hopefully it won't been the wash out that it was the last two years.
Your credibility is kind of shaky right now bro lol.

Please provide a link. So you are saying Salem is ranked higher than Oscar Smith, Highland Springs, Massaponax, LT, Ocean Lakes, etc? Some of these teams have multiple D1 recruits which is part of their equation obviously because they can't watch every team. Nothing against Salem but it's not making sense to me.

http://usatodayhss.com/rankings/computer/boys/football/VA/2015/1

I don't see anything wrong with it. I still think this is good for our state even if we argue about it. It is great discussion. You can check gilliamratings. We need more teams receiving attention. Salem deserves a shot at the top. Lets see if they can hold onto it.

http://usatodayhss.com/rankings/computer/boys/football/VA/2015/1

I don't see anything wrong with it. I still think this is good for our state even if we argue about it. It is great discussion. You can check gilliamratings. We need more teams receiving attention. Salem deserves a shot at the top. Lets see if they can hold onto it.
Dude you are showing us computer rankings lol. There's about 14 teams on that list that would beat Salem. On the National 25 list Salem is not listed but the number 14 on your Virginia list is listed. Like I said your credibility is shaky bro lol.

Dude you are showing us computer rankings lol. There's about 14 teams on that list that would beat Salem. On the National 25 list Salem is not listed but the number 14 on your Virginia list is listed. Like I said your credibility is shaky bro lol.
Dude stop assuming things. You sound stupid. I am talking about the Virginia ranking for this year. gilliamrating. USA Today and Maxpreps have Salem ranked higher than Lake Taylor. Stop trying to be a smart arse and read what is on your computer.

Reactions: aw19752
Dude stop assuming things. You sound stupid. I am talking about the Virginia ranking for this year. gilliamrating. USA Today and Maxpreps have Salem ranked higher than Lake Taylor. Stop trying to be a smart arse and read what is on your computer.
Arse? Lol...turn your card in bro.

A little off the topic, but it goes back to JF. Coach Christmas is a top coach, without a doubt. Why is there offense so effective, typically, and yet their defense is so poor. Does the coach put all his best athletes on his offense to the detriment of the defense?

Just confused by their situation.

Arse? Lol...turn your card in bro.
Too many years in too many European pubs. Listen I am referencing the person that started this thread. Did you notice that. Ask him why Salem is ranked higher than LT. But you say I have no credibility. It isn't my info. I don't rank teams. I just report on them, selectively because there are too many to cover. But when I do cover a highly ranked team they tend to be extremely good. A way above average team and carrying at least one 1.5%er. They tend to be great. Lucky for Va for the attention. I didn't mean to type stupid. That was mean I take it back. For nthis post I was only talking about state level ranking. Now virginiapreps has LT #1 Salem #2. I just want to see a good game.

I really think Salem has an excellent chance here. I believe they can hold the LT offense most of the game. The problem here is that LT has some incredibly talented playmakers there. They need very little to be gone and I can't imagine anyone (including Salem) playing that perfectly but you never know.

Defensively, LT is coming on every play. Their team speed there is the best in 4A, IMO. But they leave holes that can be exploited by a team with an effective passing game. BIG holes that can yield BIG yards. It's a sacrifice they make. Get everyone upfield and let the DB's do their job in coverage and tHese guys are awfully good. Salem has no one that can beat them man to man. The Salem OLine will really have their work cut out if they want to give the QB time enough to connect to the guy that will be VERY open.

LT makes lots of big plays with their team. Plays that result in points. Run backs, fumbles, ints, etc. You think you're right in it and suddenly, they run away.

Salem needs their best game of the year and a few breaks but they are the best representative available for this 4A title chance. They are very, very good and perhaps more balanced than any other team in 4A. Despite all I've said about LT, I certainly don't see them as unbeatable. As good as they are, they can also be sloppy. salem won't do that. Spartans can't out athlete LT but they have the heart, discipline and the Coach to get this done.

GL to both on Saturday

Final prediction though.......LT 35. Salem 28

Reactions: PhantomFan
I really think Salem has an excellent chance here. I believe they can hold the LT offense most of the game. The problem here is that LT has some incredibly talented playmakers there. They need very little to be gone and I can't imagine anyone (including Salem) playing that perfectly but you never know.

Defensively, LT is coming on every play. Their team speed there is the best in 4A, IMO. But they leave holes that can be exploited by a team with an effective passing game. BIG holes that can yield BIG yards. It's a sacrifice they make. Get everyone upfield and let the DB's do their job in coverage and tHese guys are awfully good. Salem has no one that can beat them man to man. The Salem OLine will really have their work cut out if they want to give the QB time enough to connect to the guy that will be VERY open.

LT makes lots of big plays with their team. Plays that result in points. Run backs, fumbles, ints, etc. You think you're right in it and suddenly, they run away.

Salem needs their best game of the year and a few breaks but they are the best representative available for this 4A title chance. They are very, very good and perhaps more balanced than any other team in 4A. Despite all I've said about LT, I certainly don't see them as unbeatable. As good as they are, they can also be sloppy. salem won't do that. Spartans can't out athlete LT but they have the heart, discipline and the Coach to get this done.

GL to both on Saturday

That's the issue with LT you can have a long drive and maybe kick a fg or punt and play field position and then boom they score in one or two plays. Salem is good but the athletes and speed LT has is very very undeniable. I just can't bring myself into saying Salem will beat LT. My prediction LT 35 Salem 17. Too many athletes that can runaway from you versus a team that will be one dimensional.

GL to both on Saturday

When it comes down to talking about the actual match-up, I thought both of your posts were the best and most thoughtful in this thread shauntclair. Good stuff...

I watched a few hudl highlights of both teams a few minutes ago. I try not to buy into the whole "this team is that much more athletic than that team" because there are a lot of so called "athletic" high school football teams out there... but you can see how Lake Taylor stands out from the rest in that department. I'm going go with Salem for the heck of it 25-21 over LT.

That's the issue with LT you can have a long drive and maybe kick a fg or punt and play field position and then boom they score in one or two plays. Salem is good but the athletes and speed LT has is very very undeniable. I just can't bring myself into saying Salem will beat LT. My prediction LT 35 Salem 17. Too many athletes that can runaway from you versus a team that will be one dimensional.
Salem is far from one dimensional it's not the same team that lost to your beloved Sherando Warriors that was loaded with upperclassmen that year.

I've said all along the east champ would beat the west champ...I've changed my mind I'm going with Salem in a close game.

Salem is far from one dimensional it's not the same team that lost to your beloved Sherando Warriors that was loaded with upperclassmen that year.
#1 Not a Sherando fan and never have been. That's actually hilarious. Hammy is the Warrior fan.
#2 I think they will be 1 dimensional because of the two corners LT have on the outside. I'm not saying they want give up a pass reception but I give LT the advantage in the passing game when Salem is on offense.

#1 Not a Sherando fan and never have been. That's actually hilarious. Hammy is the Warrior fan.
#2 I think they will be 1 dimensional because of the two corners LT have on the outside. I'm not saying they want give up a pass reception but I give LT the advantage in the passing game when Salem is on offense.
I'd take a look at some more film. ;)

Reactions: SalemPride
I'd take a look at some more film. ;)
I don't agree with much that aw says but I have to slightly agree with his #2. LT has two D1 defensive backs in Davis (Ohio State commit) and Bruton (VT commit) and a possible third D1 commit in the secondary in Wahee. No disrespect to the Salem passing game at all but it's hard to pick against a high school secondary with that much talent. I have been around high school football as a player and a coach for 12 years and the current LT secondary is the best I have seen. But anything can happen. That's why they play the game, right?

Reactions: SalemPride
I don't agree with much that aw says but I have to slightly agree with his #2. LT has two D1 defensive backs in Davis (Ohio State commit) and Bruton (VT commit) and a possible third D1 commit in the secondary in Wahee. No disrespect to the Salem passing game at all but it's hard to pick against a high school secondary with that much talent. I have been around high school football as a player and a coach for 12 years and the current LT secondary is the best I have seen. But anything can happen. That's why they play the game, right?
They are great players, but when LT loads the box they leave the pass open.

They are great players, but when LT loads the box they leave the pass open.
I would agree if it were any other team that did that but with their secondary, they don't "leave the pass open", even when they load the box. They dare you to throw the ball when they load the box. Salem might have a better chance to rub the ball even when the box is loaded, thier secondary is that good. Davis alone has 5 INTs returned for TD's this year. Even with all the of that, it should be a great game that could go either way.

Bruton is going to Temple.

This doesn't look very reputable. Oscar Smith isn't 13-1 and Salem isn't 13-0-1.
I saw those. But I don't think it's anything more than a typo. I was just asking about the 3 rankings. Max preps and gilliamratings have Salem ahead of LT. You don't think USA Today is a reputable company? I have seen typos on records on other sites in the past.

I saw those. But I don't think it's anything more than a typo. I was just asking about the 3 rankings. Max preps and gilliamratings have Salem ahead of LT. You don't think USA Today is a reputable company? I have seen typos on records on other sites in the past.

How any of you can look at anything other than VHSL-Reference, Gilliam's and VirginiaPreps.com for coverage on a statewide basis is beyond me.

Our staff wrote, at a very minimum, 21 articles per week during the regular season and postseason and we are getting better and better each year.

USA Today for VA high school football? Might as well be reading a coloring book.

How any of you can look at anything other than VHSL-Reference, Gilliam's and VirginiaPreps.com for coverage on a statewide basis is beyond me.

Our staff wrote, at a very minimum, 21 articles per week during the regular season and postseason and we are getting better and better each year.

USA Today for VA high school football? Might as well be reading a coloring book.
I didn't see where anyone said they were getting coverage. It was just a reference that 3 sites have Salem ranked ahead of LT, that's all. And I prefer cartoons.

Thanks Rod those rankings are a comic book. Any knowledgeable person of Virginia football would agree.

Thanks Rod those rankings are a comic book. Any knowledgeable person of Virginia football would agree.
I think you are still trying to be a little slick. I'll let you have that. I don't believe their is a population of football fans walking around like robots following one source. Personally, I've only be observing VA football since 77. Remember I asked the original poster, a guy that ranks teams if he knew USA Today agreed with his ranking. So you are kinda saying his work is a comic book. Max Preps agrees with his rankings as well. VaPreps has LT #1 Salem #2. Again, I don't rank teams. I just asked a question. Even if we don't agree, it's good. I don't think there is a rule that says we have to be a hive mind. That would be kinda yucky.

I think you are still trying to be a little slick. I'll let you have that. I don't believe their is a population of football fans walking around like robots following one source. Personally, I've only be observing VA football since 77. Remember I asked the original poster, a guy that ranks teams if he knew USA Today agreed with his ranking. So you are kinda saying his work is a comic book. Max Preps agrees with his rankings as well. VaPreps has LT #1 Salem #2. Again, I don't rank teams. I just asked a question. Even if we don't agree, it's good. I don't think there is a rule that says we have to be a hive mind. That would be kinda yucky.

To play your game....I don't think that anyone asked anyone to have a "hive mind".

I'm just saying that asking someone if they are aware of what USA Today has for their rankings is like asking a Jon Gruden if he is aware of what your four-year old nephew's opinion is of the route-running of Antonio Brown.

Actually, I think this is where Salem has their best opportunity to put up points. Remember, LT will have 9 in the box and leave their 2 DBs in man to man. It is very hard to get either one of the two Salem WRs open against them. They are very physical, College level DB speed and will hold them up at the LOS almost every time, fully disrupting routes and allowing the DL to get to the QB. But, there are ONLY TWO in coverage. Swing passes and slants, as well as TE targets COULD be VERY successful. Salem is THE best equipped team to implement this kind of game plan. Of course, many have tried this season. ALL have failed.

Also, because LT is often so unbalanced on the defensive LOS, the best place to run against them is right up the gut. If Ramsey and the OL can get something going, it will make the play action passes even more effective. Don't bother going outside on LT. That's a waste of time. But LT will wear down. They don't have the depth Salem does. If the Spartans can keep it close or even have a second half lead, this game could become something very special. No one is unbeatable.

ALL this actually plays to Salem's strengths. They have a very good chance. Much better than most are giving them.

But in the end, I think it's LT's athletes and their big play ability that puts the Titans over the top. The Titans have MAJOR game changers that can move the outcome in moments. Salem could easily have the most first downs and total yardage in this game, as well as TOP but still lose on the scoreboard.

GL to both teams today.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT