ADVERTISEMENT

Salem vs PH!! At Salem!!

Kilroy25

VaPreps Rookie
Dec 9, 2019
Well, this is gonna be Salems last test before playoff in my opinion. What y’all think?? Who ya got!! On paper and based on common opponents, looks like a pretty even match up. If play calling is the same as it was last year for Salem, it’s going to be a long night for Salem!!

LCA, Salem and PH are the 3 best teams in the western half of the state. I believe Salem has to be the favorite Friday. PH was lucky to beat Fleming on Friday. You don’t win many games with 5 turnovers - 3 fumbles, 1 int, and I muffed kickoff turned over. Then again, good teams find a way to win and PH did.

Both Salem and PH played without their star RB’s - Peyton Lewis at Salem, Chuck Webb at PH. If only one of these guys plays this Friday then give his team the advantage. Both teams have stud LB’s (Chris Coke and Jaelyn Allen at Salem, Bodie Kahoun and Troy Brown at PH). Both teams have other weapons and athletes all over the place. Their RB2’s (Jones at Salem, Murray at PH) are very good. Numerically, Salem and PH have more really talented players than anybody around.

Actually, My Niece's boyfriend told me the kids where saying the new plays are Barta Bone Double Dive and some runs out of the Texas Slot T.

What a sloppy game!! Salems offense is non existent and PH lost their qb, and there starting RB. Is out. 17-0 Salem at the half. 14 pts scored from pick 6’s 3 by the offense, smh

What a sloppy game!! Salems offense is non existent and PH lost their qb, and there starting RB. Is out. 17-0 Salem at the half. 14 pts scored from pick 6’s 3 by the offense, smh
Offense was at the very least limited because they had a 3 score lead at halftime! They limited themselves for a reason! SMH

Reactions: RKE Fan
I’m not sure I agree with that approach, you get better by reps and not limiting yourself. But to each their own. Salem will be ok in the region, at the moment region D is a hot mess. But if this mess isn’t cleaned up , it’s not gonna be a pretty site in the semi final, assuming we get by JF or Glass. SMH!!

Salem had 1 turnover. How is that sloppy? The game was 3 yds in a cloud of dust---I guess you don't like that. This was Willis White football

Congrats to Salem. They hit on some big plays and played ground and pound. I know they are limited at QB.

Offensively PH is a shell of the Team that spanked Brookville and Albemarle and best Glass. Chuck Web out , and with Beasley going down in a very ill-advised halfback pass that Salem turned into a pick 6, they better figure it out quick.

I wish these 2 teals had played at full strength but that is football.

Reactions: mike salem
Congrats to Salem. They hit on some big plays and played ground and pound. I know they are limited at QB.

Offensively PH is a shell of the Team that spanked Brookville and Albemarle and best Glass. Chuck Web out , and with Beasley going down in a very ill-advised halfback pass that Salem turned into a pick 6, they better figure it out quick.

I wish these 2 teals had played at full strength but that is football.
Brookville and Albemarle are not very good this yr. E.C Glass was definitely a good win. Hopefully both teams get their QB's back for the playoffs. I expect PH to make some noise in the playoffs.

Reactions: mike salem
PH would have made noise last night if they would have had there qb and starting RB.? Just saying!!

PH would have made noise last night if they would have had there qb and starting RB.? Just saying!!
I highly doubt it. PH had the perfect opportunity to beat Salem with their starting QB out. PH QB got hurt on a run up the middle and then they tried to get cute with a reverse pass that became a pick 6. PH never made Salem have to pass the ball.

Jim Carrey Ok GIF

starters being hurt during the game definitely hits a little different than being able to prepare with the backup and tailor a plan for them

Reactions: SFUWO
starters being hurt during the game definitely hits a little different than being able to prepare with the backup and tailor a plan for them
Trying to make sure I'm understanding what you are saying. Is it when the starting QB that the defense has prepared for all week goes out and the offense now uses a different game plan that the defense isn't ready for?

I will chime in. PH has a 3 yr starter at QB, who’s 6’3” and who has a very good arm. He is a proven winner at QB. As Salem knows, because he beat them last year. He threw a 67 yard TD to beat Fleming the week before the Salem. When he went down on the 1st possession, PH’s downfield passing game was gone. That meant Salem could load up on the run against PH’s backup, small RB all the more. Salem wasn’t handicapped by preparing for a good passing attack but not having to face one.

This is just an explanation. Props to Salem. Their defense wad good, their LBs were extremely good (particularly Jaelyn Allen), and their DB’s produced 2 pick 6’s against the QB Kwalei Carter who had to come in (who is a helluva receiver - he already won FFE player of the week this year).

I will chime in. PH has a 3 yr starter at QB, who’s 6’3” and who has a very good arm. He is a proven winner at QB. As Salem knows, because he beat them last year. He threw a 67 yard TD to beat Fleming the week before the Salem. When he went down on the 1st possession, PH’s downfield passing game was gone. That meant Salem could load up on the run against PH’s backup, small RB all the more. Salem wasn’t handicapped by preparing for a good passing attack but not having to face one.

This is just an explanation. Props to Salem. Their defense wad good, their LBs were extremely good (particularly Jaelyn Allen), and their DB’s produced 2 pick 6’s against the QB Kwalei Carter who had to come in (who is a helluva receiver - he already won FFE player of the week this year).
I think the first pick six was actually the play Beasley got injured on and Carter was throwing off a gadget play reverse pass. I am also not sure Salem was not actually better off with their back up QB than their injured starter. A good win for the Spartans and congrats to them. It is a shame that the Roanoke Valley did not get to see that game with both squads at full strength.

The facts, Salems offense scored 10 points on PH, the
I think the first pick six was actually the play Beasley got injured on and Carter was throwing off a gadget play reverse pass. I am also not sure Salem was not actually better off with their back up QB than their injured starter. A good win for the Spartans and congrats to them. It is a shame that the Roanoke Valley did not get to see that game with both squads at full strength.
PH qb actually got injured on the play before that, probably the reason that did the trick play. The qb didn’t return after that. I agree with you about the qb situation. Just afraid to say it loud with these Salem guys!! lol

But when Salem misses their starting QB, this is OK, of course. Oh wait, I forgot, he had that monster matchup vs Northside a week ago to get him ready, the game wasn't instantly 21-0 and he wasn't just handing the ball off repeatedly minus a bootleg and like one pass. Salem didn't have to completely retool their offense or anything, PH definitely had to plan for all that crazy downfield passing Martin is known for, PH definitely didn't have to just put 8-9 in the box and stop the run. Whew, glad to know only Salem had it easy. Tough break for PH, I guess.

Injuries happen, end of discussion.

But when Salem misses their starting QB, this is OK, of course. Oh wait, I forgot, he had that monster matchup vs Northside a week ago to get him ready, the game wasn't instantly 21-0 and he wasn't just handing the ball off repeatedly minus a bootleg and like one pass. Salem didn't have to completely retool their offense or anything, PH definitely had to plan for all that crazy downfield passing Martin is known for, PH definitely didn't have to just put 8-9 in the box and stop the run. Whew, glad to know only Salem had it easy. Tough break for PH, I guess.

Injuries happen, end of discussion.
I said nothing about it being OK that Salem was missing their starting QB or that anybody had it easy. The only thing that was said was that the Salem backup MAY have been better suited for the PH game than their starter and that it would have been nice if BOTH squads were at full strength. I think most fans like games between two good teams where they BOTH have all their pieces. Injuries happen as you say and when they occur good teams adapt and overcome.

Trying to make sure I'm understanding what you are saying. Is it when the starting QB that the defense has prepared for all week goes out and the offense now uses a different game plan that the defense isn't ready for?

When a starting player gets injured DURING the game the entire gameplan and blueprint you had drawn up generally goes out the window. In rare cases the next man up can fulfill the role of the starter just as good. The playbook shrinks some and you become limited in what you can do because your starter is gone.

If you have time to coach up and prepare the backup / second string player who was or is thrown into duty because of the injury the results generally are better. You have time to tailor a gameplan for the backup and their strengths and how to negate their weaknesses and lowlights.

I’m not saying neither team benefitted from having injuries but it’s different when the starter goes down in game than being able to prepare knowing the starter won’t be playing.

I’m not sure I agree with that approach, you get better by reps and not limiting yourself. But to each their own. Salem will be ok in the region, at the moment region D is a hot mess. But if this mess isn’t cleaned up , it’s not gonna be a pretty site in the semi final, assuming we get by JF or Glass. SMH!!
We?

I’m a Salem fan, I’m just not blinded by tradition and yesteryear!! Lining up and trying to bulldoze when all you have is a lawn mower with a blade is not smart football to me??
How much have you donated to 24153 club or SSF?

I’m a Salem fan, I’m just not blinded by tradition and yesteryear!! Lining up and trying to bulldoze when all you have is a lawn mower with a blade is not smart football to me??
You should go coach for them then. They must be doing something right to be the winningest program in the state the past 20 years.

You should go coach for them then. They must be doing something right to be the winningest program in the state the past 20 years.

Salem is always tough come playoffs. That's a given. And I guess that's ultimately what matters the most.

Let's be honest, though, that record over the last 20 years gets padded A LOT during the regular season. It wasn't until recently they put a Martinsburg on the schedule. We see what happened there.

According to the computers Salem has the 41st most difficult SOS in VA.

The 2 time NATTY winners UGA have the 43rd most difficult in NCAA.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT