ADVERTISEMENT

Salem vs PH!! At Salem!!

Just a thought. but doesn't every public high school in the state of Virginia play just about the same teams every year? They play their district schedule:
( Pulaski, Hidden Valley, Cave Spring, Christiansburg, Blacksburg, Patrick Henry),
,then a few geographically close rivals (Northside, William Byrd, William Fleming, Franklin County) ?
Salem is one of just a few programs that usually go out of their way to add a very challenging game to their schedule (Martinsburg, Dinwiddie, LCA).
To criticize their schedule and by association their win totals, is really going out of your way to be critical and doing so in a trivial and illogical manner.
Salem is not a private school that travels all over the state or region.

Salem is the only team I've followed in VA over that many years. To me, if you're going to lay claim to that winningest program title, it's only natural to ask who'd you beat, right? We're not talking any run-of-the-mill team. The expectations should be a bit higher.

Salem's schedule imo has been remarkably consistent throughout the years. Even through realignment/redistricting. I think out of those teams in their district now (I could be wrong here; this is going back a ways), only two of them were in their district years ago (Blacksburg and Christiansburg). But it'd be hard to tell looking at their schedule. Some of those teams that were district they started playing non-district and vice versa. They held onto some of those rivalries, like Northside, even though it's lopsided. Martinsburg, Dinwiddie and LCA...That's six (?) games over 20 years. And none of those were wins.

I don't think there's anything illogical or trivial about it. That's an honest assessment over the last 20 years. It's not like I'm biased against them or picking on them (Ok, maybe I pick on you a little bit, but it's good natured!). That's just who Salem is. Ultimately, postseason is what matters the most, they've been pretty consistent there too.

Salem is the only team I've followed in VA over that many years. To me, if you're going to lay claim to that winningest program title, it's only natural to ask who'd you beat, right? We're not talking any run-of-the-mill team. The expectations should be a bit higher.

Salem's schedule imo has been remarkably consistent throughout the years. Even through realignment/redistricting. I think out of those teams in their district now (I could be wrong here; this is going back a ways), only two of them were in their district years ago (Blacksburg and Christiansburg). But it'd be hard to tell looking at their schedule. Some of those teams that were district they started playing non-district and vice versa. They held onto some of those rivalries, like Northside, even though it's lopsided. Martinsburg, Dinwiddie and LCA...That's six (?) games over 20 years. And none of those were wins.

I don't think there's anything illogical or trivial about it. That's an honest assessment over the last 20 years. It's not like I'm biased against them or picking on them (Ok, maybe I pick on you a little bit, but it's good natured!). That's just who Salem is. Ultimately, postseason is what matters the most, they've been pretty consistent there too.
Ok then, you make a schedule that you think would be appropriate. This ought to be good.

An allstar team from Cave, Hidden Valley, Northside, Pulaski, C Burg and BBurg would not beat Sparty

Ok then, you make a schedule that you think would be appropriate. This ought to be good.

It's not about what's appropriate man 😂! It's like someone said earlier..Salem has their own way of doing things and it works. That is about as clear cut as it gets.

Part of it, in addition to the history in that region, is also your geographic location, and maybe I do lose sight of that sometimes. Roanoke isn't like the Charlotte metropolitan area where they're building a new high school every four or five years (a problem in of itself, but something for another day). Upstate SC is a different animal in football. There are some pretty good teams at every classification. Spartanburg County (Spartanburg, Byrnes, Dorman), Cherokee County (Gaffney), Rock Hill Northwestern, Southe Pointe, etc. There's a lot of them. And some of them like Spartanburg are crazy 😂. They'll play anyone good. Georgia, Charlotte, doesn't really matter.

Southwest Virginia is different. Not Salem's fault. I'm not saying there aren't good teams there. I know for a fact there are. So, it's not even a bad thing. It just is what it is. Salem is going to be head-and-shoulders better than a lot of their neighbors most years. I feel like that's even more reason to play a Martinsburg, Dinwiddie, LCA. I get it. Scheduling is a pain. But let's face it, six games over 20 years is not a lot. Not when it's zero suck 30 for a lot of teams around you when you play them.

So, that'd probably be the thing I'd change. Need to win some more of those games. Wouldn't you agree? Now, if it comes down to Lord Botetourt or one of those other teams, I have a feeling which way that one would go. And that's fine. There's a good argument for going either way. Which is why it isn't necessarily about what's appropriate.

Mike Salem's signature line says it all for me:

"Salem Spartans: 1996, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2004, 2005, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2020 C4 State Champions. 1986 C6 Runner-Up. 1991, 2014 C4 Runner-Up."

Not too many teams that can compete with those numbers.

Mike Salem's signature line says it all for me:

"Salem Spartans: 1996, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2004, 2005, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2020 C4 State Champions. 1986 C6 Runner-Up. 1991, 2014 C4 Runner-Up."

Not too many teams that can compete with those numbers.

I'll say it again. I agree. I've said as much. Championships are really what matters👍

We're talking about the winningest program in the state over the last 20 years. Most of those wins haven't come in the playoffs. Those are rung up in the regular season.

I'll say it again. I agree. I've said as much. Championships are really what matters👍

We're talking about the winningest program in the state over the last 20 years. Most of those wins haven't come in the playoffs. Those are rung up in the regular season.
Salem played great teams in the State quarter finals, semis , and finals. They have a great record against those teams. That's the measuring stick, not the contrived bs you have manufactured.

Salem played great teams in the State quarter finals, semis , and finals. They have a great record against those teams. That's the measuring stick, not the contrived bs you have manufactured.

GIF by Giphy QA

I'll just say this, whatever Salem is doing, they have it figured out.

Winning % Reg season- 77%
Winning % Playoffs- 76%
Winning % Championship games 77%

I know you're not @mike salem. I've been complimentary of Salem over the years, even in this very thread. Again, they're the only team in VA that I've tried to keep up with on a consistent basis.

It's like I said, their fans just crack me up sometimes. Trust me, I know exactly how they are! They can be a little delicate when it comes to football.

That's OK. They can get wound up. At the end of the day, regardless of whether or not they want to admit it, they know I'm right! I don't take it personal and they shouldn't either.

Last edited:
I know you're not @mike salem. I've been complimentary of Salem over the years, even in this very thread. Again, they're the only team in VA that I've tried to keep up with on a consistent basis.

It's like I said, their fans just crack me up sometimes. Trust me, I know exactly how they are! They can be a little delicate when it comes to football.

That's OK. They can get wound up. At the end of the day, regardless of whether or not they want to admit it, they know I'm right! I don't take it personal and they shouldn't either.
I don't think you're right. In fact I think you're full of it, just looking to spew some manufactured bs that's not logical at best and down right incoherent at worst.

Last point and the only point that matters. Since 1996 Salem has been in 11 State Championship games. They have won 10.
I'm out, no more wasting of my time.

I don't think you're right. In fact I think you're full of it, just looking to spew some manufactured bs that's not logical at best and down right incoherent at worst.

Beating a team like Martinsburg, at least once, in 20 years is not setting the bar too high, especially if you're going to sit around and talk about being the winningest program in the state.

If there's anything incoherent about that it's probably because you just don't like hearing it. But it's 100% true. Simple solution is put'em on the schedule and beat'em. Other schools have done it 🤷🏻‍♂️

I know some Salem fans. They're not the sensitive types. They laugh about it just like I do. We all agree they're still bringing home the hardware at a pretty good clip.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kilroy25
Beating a team like Martinsburg, at least once, in 20 years is not setting the bar too high, especially if you're going to sit around and talk about being the winningest program in the state.

If there's anything incoherent about that it's probably because you just don't like hearing it. But it's 100% true. Simple solution is put'em on the schedule and beat'em. Other schools have done it 🤷🏻‍♂️

I know some Salem fans. They're not the sensitive types. They laugh about it just like I do. We all agree they're still bringing home the hardware at a pretty good clip.
Beating teams like Lake Taylor and Dinwiddie Co is way better than ever beating Martinsburg.
You play who's on your schedule and try to pick up good OOD games. I have already started most teams did not want to schedule Salem. That's why Salem played Martinsburg in the first place.
You sound like you want them to play teams in NC and SC. That's not going to happen unless someone raises a lot of money every other yr.

You can play the softest schedule in the country for 30 yrs. If you win your games your one of the winningest programs. Even if you lost to a national power once every yr, you would still be one of the winningest programs. Then you throw in the playoffs were it really matters and your still one of the winningest programs.

Beating teams like Lake Taylor and Dinwiddie Co is way better than ever beating Martinsburg.
You play who's on your schedule and try to pick up good OOD games. I have already started most teams did not want to schedule Salem. That's why Salem played Martinsburg in the first place.
You sound like you want them to play teams in NC and SC. That's not going to happen unless someone raises a lot of money every other yr.

You can play the softest schedule in the country for 30 yrs. If you win your games your one of the winningest programs. Even if you lost to a national power once every yr, you would still be one of the winningest programs. Then you throw in the playoffs were it really matters and your still one of the winningest programs.

I hear ya. I wasn't thinking NC/SC in particular. I mean, they could, it's not too bad of a drive. But there's plenty others they could play if they can't get a game in Roanoke or NRV. Like I said, other schools have done it.

I'm just looking at the district. It looks pretty weak to me. I don't know what's happened there. Then you have Northside. We all agree that one's not going anywhere. LCA that's a good game. There just haven't been many of those over the years is all I'm saying. Been a lot more of the Franklin Co, Fleming, Byrd variety.

But you're right. You can play that schedule and still be the winningest program. Do they have any jackpots going this year

Last edited:
Bro- you play 10 regular season games and at best 5 post season games. Of course
more wins will com in the regular season. WTF are you talking about?

Reactions: SFUWO
I hear ya. I wasn't thinking NC/SC in particular. I mean, they could, it's not too bad of a drive. But there's plenty others they could play if they can't get a game in Roanoke or NRV. Like I said, other schools have done it.

I'm just looking at the district. It looks pretty weak to me. I don't know what's happened there. Then you have Northside. We all agree that one's not going anywhere. LCA that's a good game. There just haven't been many of those over the years is all I'm saying. Been a lot more of the Franklin Co, Fleming, Byrd variety.

But you're right. You can play that schedule and still be the winningest program. Do they have any jackpots going this year
The district is weak. You have no control over that. This is why they have played teams from the Seminole dist every yr. The Seminole district is one of the best districts in the state. Brookville was a state contender and Salem played them every year. They have played Amherst who at one time was one of the top teams In the state. Blacksburg has had their moments winning 2 state titles, Northside has been one of the top teams winning 2 state titles. William Fleming has played for a AAA state title. Christiansburg played for a state title. Pulaski Co played in 2 state titles winning 1. Botetourt is good now but Salem leads that series 25-1.

As you can see. These teams might not be world beaters now but they have had their moments

Take Hampton for another ex. They are the winningest program in Virginia history. They play pretty much the same teams every year. Phoebus is the only consistent team they play and that didn't start until about 2000 and have won 9 titles I believe. Bethel has had a couple good yrs. Outside of that I don't see Hampton playing anybody in the regular season.

Why do Salem fans feel the need to continue in this back and forth? The program record speaks for itself quite well and quite ably and, at least in my opinion, provides more than enough security for the program as to its standing.

Why do Salem fans feel the need to continue in this back and forth? The program record speaks for itself quite well and quite ably and, at least in my opinion, provides more than enough security for the program as to its standing.

It's like they're digging in their pockets looking for change. Seeing what they can come up with 😂

I'm not the one struggling with it lol!
You are the one struggling with it. We have given you more than enough reasons why scheduling games is difficult and yet you say the district is not good like we don't already know that. Those games your required to play unless your 3 classifications lower. So your implying the only reason Salem has won games in the regular season is because they play avg to below avg high school teams.

At the end of the day you are struggling with the fact someone said Salem is the winningest program for the last 20 yrs. I pointed out that Salem could play a national powerhouse and lose to them every yr and still be the winningest program in C4. I think Stone Bridge actually has won more games in the last 20 yrs but they are C5. So your point is mute. It would not matter.

I'm just trying to figure out if this person really doesn't understand or is just being a troll. I like to inform if they don't understand

You are the one struggling with it. We have given you more than enough reasons why scheduling games is difficult and yet you say the district is not good like we don't already know that. Those games your required to play unless your 3 classifications lower. So your implying the only reason Salem has won games in the regular season is because they play avg to below avg high school teams.

At the end of the day you are struggling with the fact someone said Salem is the winningest program for the last 20 yrs. I pointed out that Salem could play a national powerhouse and lose to them every yr and still be the winningest program in C4. I think Stone Bridge actually has won more games in the last 20 yrs but they are C5. So your point is mute. It would not matter.

Let me stop you right there. Dinwiddie just went all the way to Cleveland, OH. It's a shame they won't get any points for it. Highland Springs. Maury. Off the top of my head. Don't act like other schools haven't done it. In the last 20 years. Again, I'm not the one struggling with it. I just get a kick out of it.

Let me stop you right there. Dinwiddie just went all the way to Cleveland, OH. It's a shame they won't get any points for it. Highland Springs. Maury. Off the top of my head. Don't act like other schools haven't done it. In the last 20 years. Again, I'm not the one struggling with it. I just get a kick out of it.
As a follower of the Dinwiddie program, I applaud them for playing in OH

First off I'm not your bro. I don't know you. Only people I know and respect get that distinction. No I don't have any jackpots

Gotcha. But you're going to get all bent out of shape over some random person on the Internet giving you a little bit of a hard time over your high school football program👍

I hope ya'll never change 😂

Gotcha. But you're going to get all bent out of shape over some random person on the Internet giving you a little bit of a hard time over your high school football program👍

I hope ya'll never change 😂
Actually I'm fine. Its just high school football. It's about the kids. Not us old guys on the Internet. The program speaks for itself and there's no garrentee that it will continue winning games in the future.

You are incorrect, sir. Dinwiddie gets the same points as if it was an in-state opponent. As does any school playing an out of state team. Points are earned the same way as in-state opponent depending on the Class level of the out of state team as determined by VHSL rules.

How power points are calculated still confuses the hell out of me sometimes. For example, Salem gets points for playing those schools every year.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT