ADVERTISEMENT

Salem vs. Tuscarora

southbottomU

VaPreps All District
Dec 5, 2004
Thoughts and comments ?

Salem is ahead of schedule in their rebuilding effort. They have steadily improved. Playing this game in Salem stadium. Tuscarora looks very good on video. First meeting of two schools. Tuscarora dropped down from 5a to 4a this season.

Thoughts and comments ?

Salem is ahead of schedule in their rebuilding effort. They have steadily improved. Playing this game in Salem stadium. Tuscarora looks very good on video. First meeting of two schools. Tuscarora dropped down from 5a to 4a this season.
I cannot say I know much about Tuscarora. I know a few guys that go to Virginia Tech with me that played football at Tuscarora just last year. I know they have had recent success in the playoffs

Got a good looking QB that likes to sling it, sophomore RB looks well built...not as big or athletic as E.C. Glass from first glance

Got a good looking QB that likes to sling it, sophomore RB looks well built...not as big or athletic as E.C. Glass from first glance
There is a stream that is still up of the Tuscarora/Broad Run game that was played yesterday afternoon. I plan to watch that some time today. That should give a good insight of what Tuscarora likes to run and who their key receivers are.

Don't know a ton about Salem this season, other than what I've read on here, and watching the Martinsburg game. Growing up in Winchester, I'm aware of how Martinsburg makes everyone look.

I said it here a few weeks ago, but IMO this Tuscarora team is better than the Woodgrove team that won 4A last year (Beating, Blacksburg on the road and Lake Taylor at Liberty). I think they're a more consistent/complete team that has difference makers in impact positions. With the win yesterday, Tuscarora avenged their only loss of the season (a two point loss in week one to BR). The only other close game all season was a win against last years champ Woodgrove, (who went down to Stonebridge in the region final yesterday). QB and RB can both kill you on the ground. WR2 would be WR1 on most teams. Defensive front is stout with Fitz leading the way on the end.

As others have said the broadcast is up for free of yesterdays game. They went out and dominated a 12-0 team who has a scalp against a 5A semi finalist just a few weeks ago. Did exactly what they wanted on both sides of the ball. Teams that commit to stopping the run (as Broad Run did in the first half yesterday) get thrown on. Teams that bring in an extra DB get gashed by Gick and Duke. They're just an extremely balanced, extremely well coached team.

I think it's quite clear what Salem will try to do. Line up, control possession and run the ball between the tackles. My question to anyone on here, is has there been anyone other than Martinsburg who has stopped that all season? Does Salem have the ability to pivot effectively, and have they been pushed to do that in a win this season? Look forward to hearing everyones thoughts on how this will play out.

Hopeful I can a stream of the game next week. I was able to be at BR yesterday but head back out of state Monday.

Tusky on film and paper are reminiscent of the broad run/briar woods teams who won back to back. Run well, throw timely and efficiently, tackle well and limit the big plays. They are well coached and don’t beat themselves much. Salem is a mirror image they do what they do and don’t go away from it. I look for this game to be battle and slug fest both teams will score and it’ll come down to a turnover late.

Don't know a ton about Salem this season, other than what I've read on here, and watching the Martinsburg game. Growing up in Winchester, I'm aware of how Martinsburg makes everyone look.

I said it here a few weeks ago, but IMO this Tuscarora team is better than the Woodgrove team that won 4A last year (Beating, Blacksburg on the road and Lake Taylor at Liberty). I think they're a more consistent/complete team that has difference makers in impact positions. With the win yesterday, Tuscarora avenged their only loss of the season (a two point loss in week one to BR). The only other close game all season was a win against last years champ Woodgrove, (who went down to Stonebridge in the region final yesterday). QB and RB can both kill you on the ground. WR2 would be WR1 on most teams. Defensive front is stout with Fitz leading the way on the end.

As others have said the broadcast is up for free of yesterdays game. They went out and dominated a 12-0 team who has a scalp against a 5A semi finalist just a few weeks ago. Did exactly what they wanted on both sides of the ball. Teams that commit to stopping the run (as Broad Run did in the first half yesterday) get thrown on. Teams that bring in an extra DB get gashed by Gick and Duke. They're just an extremely balanced, extremely well coached team.

I think it's quite clear what Salem will try to do. Line up, control possession and run the ball between the tackles. My question to anyone on here, is has there been anyone other than Martinsburg who has stopped that all season? Does Salem have the ability to pivot effectively, and have they been pushed to do that in a win this season? Look forward to hearing everyones thoughts on how this will play out.

Hopeful I can a stream of the game next week. I was able to be at BR yesterday but head back out of state Monday.
I think Salem rushed for around 200 yards against Martinsburg

Reactions: Unc1ejimmy
I think Tusky is the best team remaining and the favorite of the 4 remaining. If Salem plays a great game they can certainly do it. I saw the stream of the Salem vs Glass game last night. I must say, I was surprised at Salem’s homerun capabilities. I was thinking they were probably just methodically driving the field but they can hurt you with big plays. Salem is known to be a super-team assassin. Not sure Tusky is quite that, but certainly the favorite of the 4 remaining. Also, LT after waffling around all season has finally hit it’s stride and has obvious HR capabilities with Malik Newton running the ball. PHA has just decided you won’t have the ball if you play them. Congrats to Salem and the rest of the remaining teams. #football in December is always the goal!

I think Salem rushed for around 200 yards against Martinsburg
Yes, and Salem could not stop Martinsburg. Salem was missing some important players in that game. Martinsburg would have still won but it probably would have been a little closer.

I really don’t see Tusky being elite after watching them play Sherando. In comparison to Martinsburg, Tuscarora does not have nearly the weapon arsenal.

What I see from Tuscarora is that they play hard all 4 quarters and make few mistakes. Sherando and Liberty were both in the ballgame at halftime. Tuscarora has an energizer battery that doesn’t die in the second half. Sherando had good runs and gashed Tusky secondary deep a few times in the first half.

Salem can easily win this one by matching the energy and tempo for 48 minutes.

Reactions: SFUWO
I think about half of that happened when the game was not in question in the 2nd half.
It was 28. 14 early on the 3rd quarter. Salem did not score for the rest of the game. Most of Salems running yards were in the first 3 quarters.

I think about half of that happened when the game was not in question in the 2nd half.
Salem moved the ball on Martinsburg and most of the yardage was in first 3 quarters. The problem was Martinsburgs offense. Getting them off the field is about impossible.

It was 28. 14 early on the 3rd quarter. Salem did not score for the rest of the game. Most of Salems running yards were in the first 3 quarters.
Yeah and it was 28-7 at halftime.
I thought we’ve already discussed how Salem got whooped by Martinsburg. I just wrote a narrative about how Salem can beat Tusky and you choose to respond to this?

My point being is that Martinsburg didn’t have to play hard the whole game. They knew in the first quarter they had Salem by the balls and the rest was lax. You’ll get your shot next year, onto Tusky now?

I thought we’ve already discussed how Salem got whooped by Martinsburg. I just wrote a narrative about how Salem can beat Tusky and you choose to respond to this?

My point being is that Martinsburg didn’t have to play hard the whole game. They knew in the first quarter they had Salem by the balls and the rest was lax. You’ll get your shot next year, onto Tusky now?
You implied that Salem got most of their yard late in the game when it was completely out of reach. Actually got most of those yards in the first 3 quarters. Your implication was inaccurate. I was just giving a more accurate description of what happened according to the actual statistics. There was no ill intent. Martinsburg kicked Salems butt. No argument.

I have kept up with Tuscarora since realinement. They have been to 2 state championship games.
Losing to LC Byrd 22-19 in 2014, had a real shot at winning but Byrd showed their title experience. Highland Springs 40-27 in 2017. Big DE was a freshman in that game . I remember one play where he completely blew up HS play. Usually have a good TB and a solid defense.

Last edited:

They did play the whole game. Don't remember them pulling players. You are insinuating that Martinsburg takes plays off or eases up. That's an insult to a great team. They have no problem putting 80+ on you if they can. Yes Salem got beat by 35, still wasn't as bad as the loss to Blacksburg a few yrs ago.

They did play the whole game. Don't remember them pulling players. You are insinuating that Martinsburg takes plays off or eases up. That's an insult to a great team. They have no problem putting 80+ on you if they can. Yes Salem got beat by 35, still wasn't as bad as the loss to Blacksburg a few yrs ago.
Dude c’mon. They stopped throwing the ball to Bowie in the fourth. Maybe you didn’t notice the substitutions because they are all great athletes. They subbed in Trey Sine and Warren at RB over Kearney. Trey Sine also got time at QB. They elected to run the ball to kill clock instead of running the score up by passing to Bowie.

I LOOK FORWARD TO THIS GAME SAT BE HONEST SALEM HAS ALOT OF BANGED UP KIDS THAT ARE FIGHTING THREW INJURIES BUT I CAN SAY IN SALEM THERES A HIDDEN SINCE OF WILL TO WIN AND OVER COME MY OPINION EC GLASS WAS THE TEAM TO BEAT AND I FEEL THAT SALEM WILL RISE TO THE COMPETITION EC GLASS HAS A AWESOME TEAM AND IF WE CAN COMPETE WITH THEM NO REASON WHY WE CANT GO ALL THE WAY..
.AS FAR AS MARTINSBURG YEA THEY WHIPPED US BUT TO COMPARE US TO ONE OF AMERICA'S BEST FOOTBALL TEAMS ILL TAKE THAT WITH PRIDE......IN THE END MY FRIEND USE TO SAY WE CAN GUESS ALL WE WANT BUT THE GAME HAS TO BE PLAYED

Reactions: mbonape1
Dude c’mon. They stopped throwing the ball to Bowie in the fourth. Maybe you didn’t notice the substitutions because they are all great athletes. They subbed in Trey Sine and Warren at RB over Kearney. Trey Sine also got time at QB. They elected to run the ball to kill clock instead of running the score up by passing to Bowie.
You must not watch them much. Sine comes in at QB throughout the game. Usually he just runs the ball. Martinsburg scored every time they had the ball in second half. I've been watching Martinsburg for over 10 yrs and know them well. I'm not a casual fan just going off one game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT