ADVERTISEMENT

Seminole Bests

lyhsports

VaPreps Honorable Mention
May 17, 2017
Lynchburg, Va
For all the Seminole heads out there(and others), just thought we'd have some fun:

Best Tradition?
Best Home Field Advantage?
Best Fanbase?
Best Seminole Rivalry?
Best chance to not win a game in the Seminole this year?
Best Chance to go Undefeated in the Seminole This Year?
Best chance to win the next State Championship in the District?

Comment with your Bests. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Best Tradition? I’d have to go with Glass or Amherst. Glass was the stuff in the 80’s and 90’s and had some big time players. I’m way more familiar with Amherst. I grew up idolizing Alonzo Poe, Derrick “Big Pipe” McCoy, Jon Rose, and my favorite high school football player ever (along with Vic Hall & David Wilson) PETER ROSE! They ruled the 2000s and had some of the best athletes I’ve seen on the high school level. Would’ve given anything to see Amherst play Gretna from 2002-2004. The Seminole has had some very good teams since I’ve started to follow sports in the early 2000s. Liberty knocked Gretna off in 02 (won the state championship) and Heritage had some very good teams around that time with Chris Cook. Guess you can make an argument for all Seminole teams since they all have a state championship.

Best Home Field Advantage? Though JF, LCA, Brookville and Amherst has a lot to say about this, I’ll go with Liberty Bedford actually. If they’re playing in the playoffs then forget about it. It’s extra cold down in between those mountains and the fans are loud and rowdy. One of the best playoff atmospheres you’ll see. Recently they haven’t been as good as they were in the 2000s but you have to think that they’re coming back.

Best Fanbase? 1. Brookville and a close 2nd Amherst. JF has great community support and LCA is definitely in there too. I’ve always had a big time respect for Glass fans. Though Danville and Glass is a huge rivalry, it’s always respect on both sides. They don’t get the support some of the other Seminole teams get, but I have to mention Glass.

Best Seminole Rivalry? In district it’s Glass/Heritage but I still believe that GW/Glass And GW/Amherst are top 10 rivalry games in the state of Virginia.

Best chance to not win a game in the Seminole this year? I’ll go with the Liberty Minutemen. Seminole will be tough on the young team.

Best Chance to go Undefeated in the Seminole This Year? Glass. Been saying since the end of last year, they’ll be the team to beat aside from Salem out west.

Best chance to win the next State Championship in the District? Heritage. Haven’t mentioned the Pioneers that much but don’t get it twisted. They have a special group this year. Jabari Blake, some very talented skill players, a physical line and I believe they return some key players on D. Beware 3a!

Good List DSH. I'm surprised that you say Liberty Bedford, but the last time i went to their stadium, it was pouring down rain two years ago.

Best Tradition? Glass. It helps that theyve been around for 100+ years. I believe that this is the 106th football team that Glass has had coming up this year. And I think 5 State Championships.
Best Home Field Advantage? Brookville. Fans are rowdy, and Brookville rarely loses at home.
Best Fanbase? Brookville, then Amherst. They both Travel well
Best Seminole Rivalry? Glass and Heritage usually have the biggest hype and turnouts, but they haven't been as compettive in the recent past. I would say them, but in terms of recent competitiveness, I would say Brookville/Rustburg. You never know going into that game, no matter how bad Rustburg is, they play Brookville very well.
Best chance to not win a game in the Seminole this year? Liberty Bedford. I think they will be MUCH improved this year though. This question is a hard one.
Best Chance to go Undefeated in the Seminole This Year? This is hard as well, But I'll say Glass.
Best chance to win the next State Championship in the District? I will also say Heritage. The road to states in Class 3 is easier than the Class 4 teams.

For all the Seminole heads out there(and others), just thought we'd have some fun:
All of these are tough....
Best Tradition? I am a big fan of the motorcycles at JF.
Best Home Field Advantage? Brookville and Amherst
Best Fanbase? Amherst
Best Seminole Rivalry? Rustburg v Brookville, Heritage v Glass
Best chance to not win a game in the Seminole this year? Liberty (their time is coming though)
Best Chance to go Undefeated in the Seminole This Year? I mean no slight, but no one. The district is just too tough to run the table
Best chance to win the next State Championship in the District? Very tough. It's a great feeling when you get to practice over the thanksgiving week. From summer heat to winter cold means you are doing something right.

Best Tradition?
Best Fanbase?
Best Seminole Rivalry?

Comment with your Bests. I'd love to hear your thoughts!
Tradition- JF motorcycles
Home field adv? Brookville or Amherst
Fanbase? Brookville or Amherst
Rivalry? In my day Rustburg/Brookville, now Amherst/Brookville or Glass/Her
Winless? Unfortunately Liberty
Undefeated? Nobody
Championship? Heritage
Stadium? City, Lancers, Stinger

Reactions: wikki and lyhsports
Tradition- JF motorcycles
Home field adv? Brookville or Amherst
Fanbase? Brookville or Amherst
Rivalry? In my day Rustburg/Brookville, now Amherst/Brookville or Glass/Her
Winless? Unfortunately Liberty
Undefeated? Nobody
Championship? Heritage
Stadium? City, Lancers, Stinger
I agree with most of your picks, but most people do not realize that Glass and JF are huge rivalries, more so than people think. I witnessed this year in soccer and basketball. Heritage not so much because they have a poor fan base. Don't care for JF's tradition with the cycles. Brookville's student section is awesome. Amherst fan base was great last year, not like years ago, but the crowd they have make plenty of noise. I think they will get back like before. Students have been awesome for the last several years. Tailgating is awesome at Amherst. Amherst is better for home field advantage though. For a visitor field, I like playing at Brookville the best, the closer the stands the better for me.

Last edited:
I agree with most of your picks, but most people do not realize that Glass and JF are huge rivalries, more so than people think. I witnessed this year in soccer and basketball. Heritage not so much because they have a poor fan base. Don't care for JF's tradition with the cycles. Brookville's student section is awesome. Amherst fan base was great last year, not like years ago, but the crowd they have make plenty of noise. I think they will get back like before. Students have been awesome for the last several years. Tailgating is awesome at Amherst. Amherst is better for home field advantage though. For a visitor field, I like playing at Brookville the best, the closer the stands the better for me. City Stadium is nice but too far away
I know JF & Glass are big rivals, especially in soccer, lacrosse, baseball, etc... Football they just haven't both been good at the same time recently. They are also big rivals because they're both C4. Black and Blue Game.

Reactions: lyhsports
I agree with most of your picks, but most people do not realize that Glass and JF are huge rivalries, more so than people think. I witnessed this year in soccer and basketball. Heritage not so much because they have a poor fan base. Don't care for JF's tradition with the cycles. Brookville's student section is awesome. Amherst fan base was great last year, not like years ago, but the crowd they have make plenty of noise. I think they will get back like before. Students have been awesome for the last several years. Tailgating is awesome at Amherst. Amherst is better for home field advantage though. For a visitor field, I like playing at Brookville the best, the closer the stands the better for me. City Stadium is nice but too far away

Good stuff wikki! Thats the truth about JF and Glass. I forgot about that rivalry. The last basketball game was a thriller, and the post game events screamed rivalry. Brookville and Amherst really do have the best fan support. Williams Stadium is even more farther away than City stadium. Its too big for regular season High school football.

Reactions: wikki
I know JF & Glass are big rivals, especially in soccer, lacrosse, baseball, etc... Football they just haven't both been good at the same time recently. They are also big rivals because they're both C4. Black and Blue Game.

I think that the JF and Glass rivalry will be bigger the next two seasons. But I do agree that it is not as big of a deal.

Best Tradition?
Best Fanbase?
Best Seminole Rivalry?

Best Tradition:Glass..The Bo Henson years was special
Home Field Advantage:Brookville
Best Fanbase:Brookville/Amherst
Best Rivalry:Hert and Glass
Winless:Liberty
Underfeated:Glass
Next State Championship:Rustburg or Amherst

Good stuff wikki! Thats the truth about JF and Glass. I forgot about that rivalry. The last basketball game was a thriller, and the post game events screamed rivalry. Brookville and Amherst really do have the best fan support. Williams Stadium is even more farther away than City stadium. Its too big for regular season High school football.
I was at that basketball game and I've been to many games and it was the loudest game I've ever attended. Both student sections were top notch. The ending was not so nice though between coaches and fans.

The football game between them two has been well attended also.

Best Tradition: Glass. I enjoy walking the halls and seeing all the pictures whenever I happen to be at the school.

Best Home Field Advantage: Brookville. Always tough at home. Beat an undefeated Amherst in the rain a couple of years ago.

Best Fanbase: Amherst and Brookville. Both travel well.

Best Rivalry: Amherst and Brookville get at it often.

Best Chance Not to Win: Liberty

Best Chance to go Undefeated: Hearing a lot of hype for Glass.

Best Chance to Win a State Title: Heritage in 3A.

I feel that City Stadium is very nice. I like the bleachers on both sides and the scoreboard sets it all off. Amherst also has a nice complex. Don't care that LCA plays at Liberty. Just too big for a high school football game.
Didn’t LCA have about 6,000 (I believe it was more) fans at a game one night? It was back in the late 2000s..Think they played Gretna or Amherst.

Glass. The JF motorcycle thing is really awesome
Brookville
Amherst
Rustburg v Brookville. Heritage v Glass
Liberty-Bedford
None. The district is a monster
I’m going to Rustburg. Definitely not this year as I see them about 2-8/3-7, but they have talent coming up.
In reference to the stadium I can see why someone answered LCA. But, in terms of traditional stadiums I’ll say Brookville or Amherst

Reactions: wikki
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT