ADVERTISEMENT

Shenandoah District Hoops Preview-Who Will it Be?

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
As I start this thread, it is the day before Thanksgiving and three of our teams are still playing football. But I assume the other five will start basketball soon, maybe as early as next week. So what better time to start discussion about who are the teams to beat this year? Before I start, my disclaimer is that I am relying just on memory and don't even have anything to refer to.....just my thoughts as I ramble.

1) I don't see how it could be anyone this year but East Rock. I think I am right that Comer, Butler and McNair (three of their top football players) are all seniors and all play basketball as well. Plus they had a nice JV team last year that should be ready to step up.

2) Page County- I am basing this mainly on tradition, since they are always in the mix. The coaching change, which I just read about in the last few minutes on another thread, may have an impact, but I think I remember a sophomore from last year that could shoot the lights out, so all things considered, the Panthers have to be contenders I would think.

I am going to lump the next three together, which I know is a cop-out, because I just don't remember enough about any of them so as to separate them. So I will put Luray, Stuarts Draft and Wilson in there in one order or another. For Luray, the key could be whether or not Leo Yates graduated (I just don't remember); for SD they will have the football layover to contend with plus I heard through the grapevine that they might go away from the Grinnell offense this year; and with Wilson I am pretty sure I remember some decent sophs who might be ready to hit the big time. But I don't see any of them as being strong enough to challenge for the top.

That leaves a similar three-team grouping of Buffalo Gap, Riverheads and Stonewall in the 6-8 positions. If I remember correctly, they were in those same spots last year, which impacts my thinking considerably. I really don't know enough about BG or SJ to say anything more, but for Riverheads,they will probably be vertically-challenged again this year, but the real key for them will be whether any of last year's great group of eighth-graders are ready to step up and play varsity as freshmen this year, and if so, how much impact can they make? They were amazing last year for a group so young, so I know we cannot expect too much growth too soon, but if they stick together and if I am still on this board 2-3 years from now, they will be good enough to be in the 1 vs 2 discussion. They beat every team on their schedule at least once last year.

Reactions: rfulton6
East Rockingham will be loaded. True.

Page loses some offensive firepower, but could be a better team than last year. All depends on how kids adapt to Coach Rodriguez's new style- and keep in mind that he has coached just about every kid on his team when he was JV coach. Don't know who the sophomore you are talking about is. Cave, McKay and Pendleton were all Juniors last year.

Luray is going to be competitive in 1A and will be a tough out in the district even with the loss of Good and Leo-who did graduate.

Don't know much about the rest of the district except that the Heads has their annual late start and that really good Wilson JV team should be coming through right now. New coach at Stonewall and word on the street is that Draft is considering scrapping the Grinnell style they've played for a while now. Don't know how true that is. Right now, they have bigger fish to fry with Richlands coming to town on Saturday.

X-factor in 2A is Lee.

As I start this thread, it is the day before Thanksgiving and three of our teams are still playing football. But I assume the other five will start basketball soon, maybe as early as next week. So what better time to start discussion about who are the teams to beat this year? Before I start, my disclaimer is that I am relying just on memory and don't even have anything to refer to.....just my thoughts as I ramble.

1) I don't see how it could be anyone this year but East Rock. I think I am right that Comer, Butler and McNair (three of their top football players) are all seniors and all play basketball as well. Plus they had a nice JV team last year that should be ready to step up.

2) Page County- I am basing this mainly on tradition, since they are always in the mix. The coaching change, which I just read about in the last few minutes on another thread, may have an impact, but I think I remember a sophomore from last year that could shoot the lights out, so all things considered, the Panthers have to be contenders I would think.

I am going to lump the next three together, which I know is a cop-out, because I just don't remember enough about any of them so as to separate them. So I will put Luray, Stuarts Draft and Wilson in there in one order or another. For Luray, the key could be whether or not Leo Yates graduated (I just don't remember); for SD they will have the football layover to contend with plus I heard through the grapevine that they might go away from the Grinnell offense this year; and with Wilson I am pretty sure I remember some decent sophs who might be ready to hit the big time. But I don't see any of them as being strong enough to challenge for the top.

That leaves a similar three-team grouping of Buffalo Gap, Riverheads and Stonewall in the 6-8 positions. If I remember correctly, they were in those same spots last year, which impacts my thinking considerably. I really don't know enough about BG or SJ to say anything more, but for Riverheads,they will probably be vertically-challenged again this year, but the real key for them will be whether any of last year's great group of eighth-graders are ready to step up and play varsity as freshmen this year, and if so, how much impact can they make? They were amazing last year for a group so young, so I know we cannot expect too much growth too soon, but if they stick together and if I am still on this board 2-3 years from now, they will be good enough to be in the 1 vs 2 discussion. They beat every team on their schedule at least once last year.

Last edited:
East Rockingham will be loaded. True.

Page loses some offensive firepower, but could be a better team than last year. All depends on how kids adapt to Coach Rodriguez's new style- and keep in mind that he has coached just about every kid on his team when he was JV coach. Don't know who the sophomore you are talking about is. Cave, McKay and Pendleton were all Juniors last year.

Luray is going to be competitive in 1A and will be a tough out in the district even with the loss of Good and Leo-who did graduate.

Don't know much about the rest of the district except that the Heads has their annual late start and that really good Wilson JV team should be coming through right now. New coach at Stonewall and word on the street is that Draft is considering scrapping the Grinnell style they've played for a while now. Don't know how true that is. Right now, they have bigger fish to fry with Richlands coming to town on Saturday.

X-factor in 2A is Lee.
Lee is going to be pretty good this year no doubt, and on paper they appear to be very strong, but I am a little worried at so many people penciling them into the final four already. Let me just say I am not one of those people-- I want them to win the championship just as any fan does but they have a lit of work to do to get there. I've seen some good chemistry considering how early it is in the year, but I want them to find that extra gear and take the next step(s) as the year goes along. The talent is there, but theres still a whole lot that needs work and improvement.

Lee is going to be pretty good this year no doubt, and on paper they appear to be very strong, but I am a little worried at so many people penciling them into the final four already. Let me just say I am not one of those people-- I want them to win the championship just as any fan does but they have a lit of work to do to get there. I've seen some good chemistry considering how early it is in the year, but I want them to find that extra gear and take the next step(s) as the year goes along. The talent is there, but theres still a whole lot that needs work and improvement.

Hey Keith - I agree with you - it's so easy to read all the hype - just need to follow through.

I read somewhere Lee is still without one of their 6'5 players - is that true?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT