ADVERTISEMENT

Shenandoah Games-Weekend of October 14-15

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
We have only played three games out of a seven-week stretch of district action, but already some things have sorted themselves out. First on the list would appear to be the race for the top spot in the district as Riverheads and Stuarts Draft will decide that on the final night of the season. Yes I know that some folks are thinking that Wilson or maybe Luray could put a damper on that game, but I just don't think so. I think the big showdown WILL happen and I just hope we will be blessed with decent weather so the teams can decide it on the field.

It is also obvious that Stonewall is going to come in dead last this year. But hopefully they were encouraged by their early-season showing against Strasburg and maybe that has kept up the morale in Quicksburg. Their day will come.

As for the ones in the middle however, a lot could still happen. The best bets might be for East Rock and Buffalo Gap to decide 3rd and 4th and maybe Luray's one-point win over Wilson has already settled 5th and 6th place, which would leave Page in 7th despite their obvious improvement this year. But there are still some close games to be played out there and that middle of the pack could still shake itself up any number of ways.

So for now, let's look at this weekend's slate of games and for the first time in three weekends, we might actually get to play all the games on schedule. Here is the line-up:

Riverheads at Page: There is nothing that makes me think that RHS' string of wins over Page will be in jeopardy. So the all-time record will be 20-0 by the final horn. The only question remains what kind of game we will see. The "average" Riverheads trip to Page turns out to be something like 49-7. But on two occasions in recent years in games played in Greenville, they let it all hang out and combined for over 100 points between them. So who knows, we could see that kind of game. I think Page will score a little here and there but they will not be able to stop the Big Red Machine. I say 55-20 RHS. Also I will not be surprised to see the Big Red experiment a little more with the passing game over these next three weeks, since they might have to use it when the playoffs come around.

Stuarts Draft at Wilson: Some folks on here are making it sound as if this will be a game. I must respectfully disagree. Despite the rivalry aspect, SD just has too much talent and too good a defense for the Hornets. I know that comparing scores is risky business, but Buffalo Gap won 41-7 at Wilson but lost 20-0 at Draft last night, a 54 point difference in results. So sorry guys, but I see a 42-13 Cougar win in this one. Maybe it will be close for a half, but the Cougars will take this one easily.

Buffalo Gap at Luray: As mentioned on another thread, the Bison may have lost their quarterback to injury last night. That makes this one tough to call, since it was already a trap game for BG. Luray has played them tough up there, and they just might pull it off. I will still go with the Gap, in keeping with my 3/4 statement above, but it will be a hard-fought win. The Black and Gold by about a 27-22 count.

East Rock vs. Stonewall at JMU: This will be part of that big high school showcase played in Bridgeforth this weekend, but the larger stage will make no difference in the final results. Name your score Eagles. Mine is 55-8.

We have only played three games out of a seven-week stretch of district action, but already some things have sorted themselves out. First on the list would appear to be the race for the top spot in the district as Riverheads and Stuarts Draft will decide that on the final night of the season. Yes I know that some folks are thinking that Wilson or maybe Luray could put a damper on that game, but I just don't think so. I think the big showdown WILL happen and I just hope we will be blessed with decent weather so the teams can decide it on the field.

It is also obvious that Stonewall is going to come in dead last this year. But hopefully they were encouraged by their early-season showing against Strasburg and maybe that has kept up the morale in Quicksburg. Their day will come.

As for the ones in the middle however, a lot could still happen. The best bets might be for East Rock and Buffalo Gap to decide 3rd and 4th and maybe Luray's one-point win over Wilson has already settled 5th and 6th place, which would leave Page in 7th despite their obvious improvement this year. But there are still some close games to be played out there and that middle of the pack could still shake itself up any number of ways.

So for now, let's look at this weekend's slate of games and for the first time in three weekends, we might actually get to play all the games on schedule. Here is the line-up:

Riverheads at Page: There is nothing that makes me think that RHS' string of wins over Page will be in jeopardy. So the all-time record will be 20-0 by the final horn. The only question remains what kind of game we will see. The "average" Riverheads trip to Page turns out to be something like 49-7. But on two occasions in recent years in games played in Greenville, they let it all hang out and combined for over 100 points between them. So who knows, we could see that kind of game. I think Page will score a little here and there but they will not be able to stop the Big Red Machine. I say 55-20 RHS. Also I will not be surprised to see the Big Red experiment a little more with the passing game over these next three weeks, since they might have to use it when the playoffs come around.

Stuarts Draft at Wilson: Some folks on here are making it sound as if this will be a game. I must respectfully disagree. Despite the rivalry aspect, SD just has too much talent and too good a defense for the Hornets. I know that comparing scores is risky business, but Buffalo Gap won 41-7 at Wilson but lost 20-0 at Draft last night, a 54 point difference in results. So sorry guys, but I see a 42-13 Cougar win in this one. Maybe it will be close for a half, but the Cougars will take this one easily.

Buffalo Gap at Luray: As mentioned on another thread, the Bison may have lost their quarterback to injury last night. That makes this one tough to call, since it was already a trap game for BG. Luray has played them tough up there, and they just might pull it off. I will still go with the Gap, in keeping with my 3/4 statement above, but it will be a hard-fought win. The Black and Gold by about a 27-22 count.

East Rock vs. Stonewall at JMU: This will be part of that big high school showcase played in Bridgeforth this weekend, but the larger stage will make no difference in the final results. Name your score Eagles. Mine is 55-8.

I am not making any kind of prediction, but as I think I said in another thread, even with SD pretty good season a year ago, they lost to the county rival AT SD, so there could be some revenge factor into it as well. There should be no reason to need that extra motivation being its Wilson, but heres hoping from this SD fan that we can start another 30 year win streak against Wilson. I know that almost impossible to happen, but a guy can dream haha

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT