ADVERTISEMENT

Shenandoah Teams Ready to Rumble!

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
So far the eight Shenandoah District teams have been rocking it this season! After four weeks of non-district games, with each team taking one week off somewhere along the line, there are four teams still unbeaten (Riverheads, Luray, Buffalo Gap and Stuarts Draft); a fifth one, East Rock, would be as well if not for a last-second field goal kicked by Madison; Page County is off to its best start in years and is now 2-1; and Wilson is a respectable 1-2 against an all-Valley-District pre-season.That leaves Stonewall as the only winless team in the district but even they have been competitive. The district as a whole owns 8 wins by my count over the supposedly higher caliber Valley District teams.

Understandably we are all more than ready to knock heads and determine this year's district champs. So for the next seven weeks, there will be four district games each Friday night. Here is the line-up for this Friday night's four openers:

Stuarts Draft at East Rock: This one probably deserves to be considered the headliner of this first week of district play. It will be a huge contrast of styles with East Rock taking to the air more often than not whereas SD will rely on its ground game, led by Izzy Johnson. They had a wild shootout last year as I recall, and this one could be more of the same. I will go with the home team by a 42-34 count but it could go either way.

Luray at Riverheads: Somebody will get their first loss of the year in this one. Although it is early in the season, this is Homecoming weekend already for RHS, and that can sometimes be a distraction. But the Gladiators put together a truly complete game against Waynesboro Friday and should be focused and recognize the importance of this one. The Dogs actually took the Big Red into overtime in one of their recent trips to Greenville, but I don't see it as being that close this time. I will go with RHS 42-20.

Buffalo Gap at Wilson: As a general rule you can throw the records out the window when any two Augusta County teams get together, but in this case, I just see too much of a talent difference. Wilson might keep it close for a quarter or so, but when all is said and done, look for a 42-7 ish win for the Bison.

Page at Stonewall: Considering the start they have had, the Panthers are probably the most anxious team in the district to keep the action going and find out if they are for real. For the past several years, this game has had the dubious distinction of deciding who finishes in 7th place and who finishes in the basement. Maybe this will be the year that will change for one of these teams. I have to go with Page in this one, but not sure if it will be a shootout or a defensive struggle. Let's go with something in the middle........Page 26-12.

The Valley District (same general neighborhood) has only seven members, so the most games they can have on any given Friday is three. So this week, I would see Spotswood rolling easily over Waynesboro, Turner Ashby squeezing out a tight one at Lee, and Broadway knocking off Fort Defiance in a battle of winless teams.

Should be a great night weather-wise, so come on out and support the team of your choice!

So far the eight Shenandoah District teams have been rocking it this season! After four weeks of non-district games, with each team taking one week off somewhere along the line, there are four teams still unbeaten (Riverheads, Luray, Buffalo Gap and Stuarts Draft); a fifth one, East Rock, would be as well if not for a last-second field goal kicked by Madison; Page County is off to its best start in years and is now 2-1; and Wilson is a respectable 1-2 against an all-Valley-District pre-season.That leaves Stonewall as the only winless team in the district but even they have been competitive. The district as a whole owns 8 wins by my count over the supposedly higher caliber Valley District teams.

Understandably we are all more than ready to knock heads and determine this year's district champs. So for the next seven weeks, there will be four district games each Friday night. Here is the line-up for this Friday night's four openers:

Stuarts Draft at East Rock: This one probably deserves to be considered the headliner of this first week of district play. It will be a huge contrast of styles with East Rock taking to the air more often than not whereas SD will rely on its ground game, led by Izzy Johnson. They had a wild shootout last year as I recall, and this one could be more of the same. I will go with the home team by a 42-34 count but it could go either way.

Luray at Riverheads: Somebody will get their first loss of the year in this one. Although it is early in the season, this is Homecoming weekend already for RHS, and that can sometimes be a distraction. But the Gladiators put together a truly complete game against Waynesboro Friday and should be focused and recognize the importance of this one. The Dogs actually took the Big Red into overtime in one of their recent trips to Greenville, but I don't see it as being that close this time. I will go with RHS 42-20.

Buffalo Gap at Wilson: As a general rule you can throw the records out the window when any two Augusta County teams get together, but in this case, I just see too much of a talent difference. Wilson might keep it close for a quarter or so, but when all is said and done, look for a 42-7 ish win for the Bison.

Page at Stonewall: Considering the start they have had, the Panthers are probably the most anxious team in the district to keep the action going and find out if they are for real. For the past several years, this game has had the dubious distinction of deciding who finishes in 7th place and who finishes in the basement. Maybe this will be the year that will change for one of these teams. I have to go with Page in this one, but not sure if it will be a shootout or a defensive struggle. Let's go with something in the middle........Page 26-12.

The Valley District (same general neighborhood) has only seven members, so the most games they can have on any given Friday is three. So this week, I would see Spotswood rolling easily over Waynesboro, Turner Ashby squeezing out a tight one at Lee, and Broadway knocking off Fort Defiance in a battle of winless teams.

Should be a great night weather-wise, so come on out and support the team of your choice!

I actually like SD over ER this week, as I can see this one being similar to last year. From what I've seen of SD, you don't want to run side to side on their defense as they have the speed to get you, you better try to run at them. Their D has been pretty impressive thus far, but this will be their biggest test defensively. They seem like the dark horse of the Shenandoah right now, but a win this week may get them some attention.

Riverheads over Luray. I thought last year was the year Luray would pull it out against Riverheads, and while Luray may make it competitive for a quarter or so, I am not picking against Casto on homecoming.

BG over Wilson: I know this year's Wilson team is not like the teams we've gotten used to seeing over the past few years, but this is a pretty big game for the Bison, as they were off last Friday and didn't play a competitive opponent the week before, so their starters haven't really played in two weeks. I look for BG to come out a little slow, but to pull away in the second half. I'll go with the Bison by 3 tds over the Hornets

Page over Stonewall: not totally familiar with these two but I wouldn't mind going to this one as it sounds like both teams are much improved this year.

Spotswood over Waynesboro: I will be surprised if Waynesboro keeps this one close, and have Spotswood winning big.

TA over Lee (by a few TDs): This game tends to have a surprising outcome each year. Just when you think TA or Lee has the team to crush the other, they lose or make it really tough game. I think TA is a little better than Lee right now, so I'll go with TA this go round.

Fort Defiance breaking the streak, over Broadway this week!

I was thinking that JV team was only two years ago, which would make them sophomores and juniors this year. Luray doesn't get a whole lot of ink around the Staunton area so year in and year out, we cannot really figure them out until the district schedule starts and everybody starts playing everybody else.

I did check back through my records and found that the 17-14 overtime game at Riverheads (which Luray came VERY close to winning) was only two seasons ago, or in other words the last time they came to Riverheads. At first I thought it had been longer ago than that. That game, however, was the season finale, as opposed to an early season game, for what that is worth.

The only thing I have read about the Dawgs is that they have a good running back who is doing most of their scoring. I think the name begins with an L, but I am not sure. Also not sure what class he is in.

Don't be surprised to see Fort win by 2-3 TD's
This is true. Fort is as dreadful as always, but Broadway is having a particularly bad season. I heard the Gobblers had trouble getting kids to play this year over parents' concerns about head injuries. Last year's game was close. I'm picking Fort for the first time ever.

This is true. Fort is as dreadful as always, but Broadway is having a particularly bad season. I heard the Gobblers had trouble getting kids to play this year over parents' concerns about head injuries. Last year's game was close. I'm picking Fort for the first time ever.

If this is first time you are picking Fort ever, you must not have been along that long, Fort used to be good year in and year out. It has just not been that way last few years

Reactions: Keith_Stone33
East Rock rarely ran the ball v. MC a few weeks ago. Their passing game is solid but if they are a little off, they do not really have a running game to fall back on...unless the QB (Butler?) runs. He is very athletic. If their game v. SD comes down to a shoot out, I like ER's chances.

If Luray is going to beat Riverheads anytime soon, I think this year's team may be the one to do it. By all accounts, they are physical and have just enough balance on offense to keep the opposing "O" off balance. There were quite a few Luray players/parents at the MC/ER game. Great bunch of folks to talk with! Really enjoyed the friendly "give and take" we did during the game.

East Rock rarely ran the ball v. MC a few weeks ago. Their passing game is solid but if they are a little off, they do not really have a running game to fall back on...unless the QB (Butler?) runs. He is very athletic. If their game v. SD comes down to a shoot out, I like ER's chances.

If Luray is going to beat Riverheads anytime soon, I think this year's team may be the one to do it. By all accounts, they are physical and have just enough balance on offense to keep the opposing "O" off balance. There were quite a few Luray players/parents at the MC/ER game. Great bunch of folks to talk with! Really enjoyed the friendly "give and take" we did during the game.
That QB is very impressive for east rock.. I saw him a couple times last year, one time in particular, he and his slot receiver torched the state semi finalist buffalo gap defense

If this is first time you are picking Fort ever, you must not have been along that long, Fort used to be good year in and year out. It has just not been that way last few years
Those Fort teams of the 90s and early 2000s were tough and they used to have a great football community at the fort

I saw Buffalo Gap take it to Parry McClure 3 weeks ago, and I must say they might be the toughest and best coached team I've seen in Virginia since I moved here from Georgia three years ago. Wouldn't mind getting up there and seeing them play again before season's end. Until then, good luck to the Bison.

I saw Buffalo Gap take it to Parry McClure 3 weeks ago, and I must say they might be the toughest and best coached team I've seen in Virginia since I moved here from Georgia three years ago. Wouldn't mind getting up there and seeing them play again before season's end. Until then, good luck to the Bison.
Not sure if you have seen Riverheads in action, but they are another team that is tough and well coached. This week they play Gap and that was a very big rivalry for a number of years (it died down a little during the 5ish year period when Gap went through a rebuilding mode) as they were both fielding very competitive teams, much like this year. Buffalo Gap and Riverheads go to middle school together, so that adds a little to the rivalry. You are right that Gap is tough and well coached. You can tell they are very detail oriented. They need to play sharper this week than they did against the hornets to keep it close with RHS, but based on potential they may have enough size, speed, and toughness to rumble with the crew from Greenville. They also need to cut out the personal fouls as those will kill them in close games.

PM can run the table the rest of the way and still end up a 5 seed. I look forward to seeing them next week against Auburn.

Yea, the same thing pretty much happened a couple years back. Oh well, it is what it is. We'll always be stuck playing Craig and no need to cut Rockbridge off the schedule. It was not that long ago that SJ had some solid squads. Nelson...well poor Nelson is heading for an historically atrocious season.

I'd love to make it down for a game this season but anything short of a 3rd round or deeper game (aka Saturday games, LOL!) and I will be SOL. NoVa traffic is such a pain in the behind.

PM can run the table the rest of the way and still end up a 5 seed. I look forward to seeing them next week against Auburn.
Because the Pioneer District is so weak, the game with BG was a blessing in disguise, even if it was a behind kicking. It steels the Blues a little bit for the rest of the season and the playoffs. They will probably go a round or two into the playoffs before they play anybody as good as BG. By then they will be a much improved football team.

Reactions: mmqp
Not sure if you have seen Riverheads in action, but they are another team that is tough and well coached. This week they play Gap and that was a very big rivalry for a number of years (it died down a little during the 5ish year period when Gap went through a rebuilding mode) as they were both fielding very competitive teams, much like this year. Buffalo Gap and Riverheads go to middle school together, so that adds a little to the rivalry. You are right that Gap is tough and well coached. You can tell they are very detail oriented. They need to play sharper this week than they did against the hornets to keep it close with RHS, but based on potential they may have enough size, speed, and toughness to rumble with the crew from Greenville. They also need to cut out the personal fouls as those will kill them in close games.
I was planning on attending the championship game last year, but my high school in Georgia was playing that night in the semi finals, so I stayed home and watched them on line. I live in Natural Bridge and it's a pretty easy drive up 81 to Staunton, so I will get up there to see Riverheads sometime this season if the creek don't rise.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT