ADVERTISEMENT

Sherando vs. Fort Hill (MD)

I really don't pay too much attention to these 40 times. In HS, they're not close to actuals.

Here's the deal to give you perspective. I'm sure this guy is fast. Not saying otherwise but here is a video of a HS player I've put up more than once. He did go D1 and did well. His best NFL combine time was 4.42. If you think he's faster than Stevie, you've really got something at FH.

I don't know about the FH kid, but after seeing Navy Jones earlier this year I think he's in the same category speed wise as the guy in the video. Also, Salem's Donte Clayborne has jets comparable to Jones. Jones Hudl page has 40 time listed as 4.44, Clayborne's Hudl page has 40 time listed as 4.40 for what it's worth. Don't know who puts the information in for the Hudl pages and how accurate they are, but the eye test to me says they are all close in speed.

Damn Mike. I value your input and if you say Jones and Claybourne are comparable, I believe you. Strothers holds a numbers of records ar SIU with over 1600 yards coming as a return man. Over 3200 overall yards with his WR and RB work. He wasn't the starting RB till his Senior year as he was behind a guy that went on to play for the 49'rs. Still played in every game, even as a true Freshman. 5'8" held him back from being an NFL player but their was never any question about his breakaway speed and quickness. He currently plays in the German Football League. If you guys have comparable players there's some real next level talent in that Roanoke area. GL against PH Friday.

Damn Mike. I value your input and if you say Jones and Claybourne are comparable, I believe you. Strothers holds a numbers of records ar SIU with over 1600 yards coming as a return man. Over 3200 overall yards with his WR and RB work. He wasn't the starting RB till his Senior year as he was behind a guy that went on to play for the 49'rs. Still played in every game, even as a true Freshman. 5'8" held him back from being an NFL player but their was never any question about his breakaway speed and quickness. He currently plays in the German Football League. If you guys have comparable players there's some real next level talent in that Roanoke area. GL against PH Friday.
Just comparable speed wise Shaunty. Jones has the goods to play FCS because of his skills running, receiving, and returning kicks. Clayborne doesn't have the hands like Navy so I would say Donte could be D2, definitely D3. I don't think either will play on Sundays they're only 5'6" 165.

With all these folks coming to the game tomorrow night, better tell the Warrior Club to throw some extra burgers on the grill!!
<queue the drums>

There will be a huge red following. There always is.

That's awesome! Sherando fans always show up in force for road games. We often outnumber the home fans. I love to see the visitor stands overflowing at our home games...makes for a much more exciting game for everyone. We look forward to having you all!

P.S. Get there early...seems like there is always some sort of tie-up on I81 around the Stephens City exit on Friday nights. Also, consider Rt 522 as an alternate option. Be safe!

Yes, we tend to fill both sides at away games. It has the potential for ugliness sometimes. Past two titles we dwarfed the other teams crowd and it was in their backyard.

I would park at Sherando Park by the soccer fields and go to the secondary ticket booth. The lines are not as long for tickets and you enter right beside the visitors bleachers. I have found it easier to get out at the end of the game as well.

Where did you gather that? We travel well and tend to overflow on both sides. However I did not insinuate that about the title games.

If I recall correctly, the cheeseburgers at Sherando were good. Best cheesburger, surprisingly, was at Manassas Park.

My original statement is not far fetched. Many stadiums cater to their team and we tend to fill the visitor side as well as spill over on the home side.

For what it's worth, Fort Hill would be a 3A school here in Virginia. Maryland's division breakdown is crazy: 1A is something like 0-900 if I remember correctly. And granted, there are not many schools in Maryland that are 1A size by Virginia standards.. but I think it deters the few that are from actually playing football (Crisfield, St. Michaels, Mardela to name a few).

Regardless, that is a HUGE crowd!

Reactions: otnorot
An article earlier this week said 65 more than last year. The last number I see quoted on the internet before that was 1474. So probably low 1500s.

Fort Hill is around 800ish. Maybe high 7's. Total enrollment. For classification they use 9-11 grade which I think was 630 on the MPSSAA website.

I believe that the Maryland schools that do not offer football allow students to play at a county school that does have football. At least that was the policy when I lived there. I hope that they do not see what Virginia does and try to adopt something like here. It will become a disaster with 478 different classifications and watered down playoffs. Scheduling difficulties etc.

We already have scheduling issues. That is why we are playing someone almost double our school size. The 1a West that we are in has 1 team that will play us. Yet they all are shooting for a 1a West playoff spot. Sound dysfunctional?

Is that 1a team Allegany? And are the Garrett County schools 1a? I know Southern was good at one time and Beall out of Frostburg had some very good teams.

Things have changed since I was there. There never was a Mountain Ridge. I saw some of the pics of the Homecoming games at Greenway. I remember that being just awesome. You guys do it right. I wish I could make the trip North on I-81 to see your game with Sherando but my son is playing and obviously will not miss that. I know Sherando is good but if your program is what it always has been I think you can win regardless of size.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT