ADVERTISEMENT

So which outcomes surprised you this week?

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
For me, I don’t guess I was shocked, but Salem losing to LCA surprised me. Probably because I had heard that Salem was much improved, and LCA was about like they were last season. I saw LCA twice last year and the they kind of impressed me as a one trick pony. If they could be successful with their three or four key offensive plays, then they were hard to stop. But otherwise, they could be controlled.

Central ain’t no slouch, but anytime Riverheads gets beat it’s news.

Admittedly, I don’t know what changes or improvements have been made at Jamestown, but to see them win a game, and against a usually scrappy Nottoway team caught my eye.

Lord Botetourt losing, albeit in a rain shortened game, was a surprise to me. I guess Glass is for real?

Radford sure smacked a normally tough George Wythe

Louisa beating PH the way they did surprised me. PH is always good, and I kept hearing scuttlebutt that Louisa was struggling. Obviously not.

last thing, what’s the story on Charles City forfeiting 50-0? Did they just run out of players and couldn’t continue?

For me, I don’t guess I was shocked, but Salem losing to LCA surprised me. Probably because I had heard that Salem was much improved, and LCA was about like they were last season. I saw LCA twice last year and the they kind of impressed me as a one trick pony. If they could be successful with their three or four key offensive plays, then they were hard to stop. But otherwise, they could be controlled.

Admittedly, I don’t know what changes or improvements have been made at Jamestown, but to see them win a game, and against a usually scrappy Nottoway team caught my eye.

Lord Botetourt losing, albeit in a rain shortened game, was a surprise to me. I guess Glass is for real?

Louisa beating PH the way they did surprised me. PH is always good, and I kept hearing scuttlebutt that Louisa was struggling. Obviously not.

last thing, what’s the story on Charles City forfeiting 50-0? Did they just run out of players and couldn’t continue?
As far as Salem, they are improved, maybe by season's end they'll be much improved.
LCA is a serious C3 contender with their line play, speed, and coaching.

A couple of game scores that caught my attention:

Hampton handling Woodside after being trounced last year.

Loudoun Co with a hard fought W over Woodgrove.

Tuscarora only putting up 9 against Heritage LC. Kind of makes me think Region C could come down to LC or Woodgrove?

LCA losing to Salem and Dinwiddies stomping of GW

Reactions: MaroonDude
Varina only winning 13-0 against Indian River. The offense still looks like it has no identity after getting hyped up all off-season.
I kinda figured it would be a defensive battle. It was humid as hell in Chesapeake last night, not an excuse but definitely plays into account of an ugly game. Big week for the East End. Freedom at Varina on Thursday and Manchester at Springs on Friday.

I kinda figured it would be a defensive battle. It was humid as hell in Chesapeake last night, not an excuse but definitely plays into account of an ugly game. Big week for the East End. Freedom at Varina on Thursday and Manchester at Springs on Friday.
I am very interested in Manchester vs HSHS. Think Manchester might got something special this year.

LCA over Salem and Brookville getting crushed by PH. Does Brookville have no defense or have they just gone up against two insane offenses? I'm hoping it's the first one.

Reactions: wikki
LCA over Salem and Brookville getting crushed by PH. Does Brookville have no defense or have they just gone up against two insane offenses? I'm hoping it's the first one.
Brookville has a couple of good D linemen but not much behind them. Linebackers and secondary weak

Coach Meeks said they would probably be starting 11 Sophomores this year. They're just young and they faced 2 good teams. Whitelaw and Pennix are good players, Sr leaders

You guys are correct you could tell those kids were done by halftime last night. They will have to grow up in a hurry to avoid a possible 1-9 season and I hate that for the few talented seniors that are playing but it is what it is this year. But don't sleep on PH guys, they are stout. Should be a good one with Glass next week.

I agree, this brutal humidly definitely is a factor. I don’t care how good a shape the kids are in, when you are playing for real instead of scrimmage or practice, the extra effort is sucking it out of you. And if the coaches and kids are not aggressive with the hydration, some players can get out of sorts in a hurry.

And if anyone thinks that all 11 players are not important on every play, then just start putting 10 kids on the field against 11 and see how that works out.

Thank God that it looks like the weather is finally beginning to moderate. Temperature wise, it doesn’t look too bad starting with games next Thursday. One concern though is the tropical system forming in the gulf. Most of the models are swinging it east out to sea by the time it gets to NC. But, if you have comple faith in weather forecasters, I have some beautiful oceanfront property for sale in Omaha.

One last comment on a personal note. Most of you have heard that I‘m struggling with some fairly serious health issues. I’m still struggling to get better, but they still have not found a verifiable cause for my symptoms. The good news so far is that there has been no evidence of cancer of any type, so that is encouraging. I bring this up simply to say thank you again to all of you that have kept me in your prayers. Many of you have reached out to me through social media and/or called to check on me. I can’t even begin to tell you how humbled and appreciative I am. Thank you each and every one.

Charles city only has 13 players, that's rough for a team to play with that few players.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud

I think I heard the Charles City game was called at halftime because of lightning. CC is very low on numbers though. I believe only 16 players.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Brookville's defense is pretty bad but PH probably has the best OL they have had in a long time this year and a big physical RB that runs hard every snap. They also have some decent weapons outside... not like last year but this team should be pretty solid, just a diff style.

First win in two years for Jamestown. The coach is in his second year now. I went to the game snd was pretty surprised that Jamestown dominated Nottoway. Their running game looked good and QB a cut above. The play a good Essex team on Thursday snd that will be the confirmation. I was happier over the Jamestown win than Lafayette’s win over Spotsy.

I am very interested in Manchester vs HSHS. Think Manchester might got something special this year.
What makes you think that? They return a lot of starters they took a massive beat down to Highland Springs last year. 16 of the starters from that Highland Springs team returned. It will be the first game for Manchester. Highland Springs just faced and beat one of the nation’s best teams(top 200 NATIONALLY) in their own backyard. Miramar was loaded with Division I SIGNED talent. They were a mirror image of Highland Springs. Big, tall, division, one quarterback, two big division one wide receivers on the outside, two power five signed, defensive ends, a power five middle linebacker, 4 Division 1 (fbs and fcs)Defense backs. A small fast powerful running back, running behind a massive offensive line. If you check,that is exactly like Highland Springs. Both teams are extremely fast!! That team finished 10-2,and lost in the state semifinals in one of the toughest states in the country. Say what you want, but I watched team after team wilt in the Florida heat all weekend while I’m down here watching the games. I saw national powers realizing they weren’t ready. Every team down here is extremely fast. Every team down here has a huge offensive and defensive line. Defensive backs down here are no shorter than 5’ 11. I watched Coach Johnson out coach there nationally ranked team. We’ll see what happens Friday night, but there’s no way in hell I would bet against this team they just traveled over 1000 miles and got a win over a top 200 team.

Well if you don't think a Tom Hall coached team with 18 returning starters doesn't stand a chance then I suppose you just don't respect their program. You said Miramar stood no chance against you guys and that game went to the 4th quarter.

Manchester ended up winning 11 straight games last year after they lost to HSHS. So to take a page out of your book I'm sure they had "chemistry" issues that a young team would have, and your Springers took advantage.

That's not the case this year. You're playing a veteran team with playoff experience this time. The biggest concern is that this is Manchester's 1st game so your Springers will probably be in better shape.

What makes you think that? They return a lot of starters they took a massive beat down to Highland Springs last year. 16 of the starters from that Highland Springs team returned. It will be the first game for Manchester. Highland Springs just faced and beat one of the nation’s best teams(top 200 NATIONALLY) in their own backyard. Miramar was loaded with Division I SIGNED talent. They were a mirror image of Highland Springs. Big, tall, division, one quarterback, two big division one wide receivers on the outside, two power five signed, defensive ends, a power five middle linebacker, 4 Division 1 (fbs and fcs)Defense backs. A small fast powerful running back, running behind a massive offensive line. If you check,that is exactly like Highland Springs. Both teams are extremely fast!! That team finished 10-2,and lost in the state semifinals in one of the toughest states in the country. Say what you want, but I watched team after team wilt in the Florida heat all weekend while I’m down here watching the games. I saw national powers realizing they weren’t ready. Every team down here is extremely fast. Every team down here has a huge offensive and defensive line. Defensive backs down here are no shorter than 5’ 11. I watched Coach Johnson out coach there nationally ranked team. We’ll see what happens Friday night, but there’s no way in hell I would bet against this team they just traveled over 1000 miles and got a win over a top 200 team.
None of their guys are signed, they may be committed but you can't send in your NLI until December 20th for early signing day.

I'll say that after 1 week of football for most teams 1 win or 1 lost doesn't make or break your season, I would say for me by the 5th game we'll pretty much know who are the contenders or the pretenders for most team. But in the mean time keep playing hard.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT