ADVERTISEMENT

So which outcomes surprised you this week?

Where did most of their talent land?
Phoebus got 3 all district players from them HB, WR, and LT. The HB and WR are both state champion track stats and the LT is 6’5 290 FBS recruit (I can tell by posts no one knows what Phoebus has forreal)

Warwick got some more all district players from them too. I know they got a HB and LB from Woodside.

Reactions: mbonape1
I honestly don’t see how Varina keeps this game within 21 points. No disrespect to Varina but watching the film from last week….. I think they keep it respectable for a half

That was my point! Freedom hasn’t played a good team yet, so we don’t know how truly good they are. I want to see them play a team that can match their speed and match their talent.

I watched good counsel play against Saint Edward yesterday,and I agree,it is not going to be pretty when Stonebridge faces them. good counsel and Saint James are head and shoulders above everyone in Maryland.
No one even came close to beating Freedom last year. They steamrolled everyone including the state championship game.
Phoebus got 3 all district players from them HB, WR, and LT. The HB and WR are both state champion track stats and the LT is 6’5 290 FBS recruit (I can tell by posts no one knows what Phoebus has forreal)

Warwick got some more all district players from them too. I know they got a HB and LB from Woodside.
yeah, not too many active poster from the 757. Thanks for keeping us informed. Everyone knows Phoebus is loaded. I’m just trying to gauge how much so compared to Dinwiddie, Varina, and King George for region B.

No one even came close to beating Freedom last year. They steamrolled everyone including the state championship game.

yeah, not too many active poster from the 757. Thanks for keeping us informed. Everyone knows Phoebus is loaded. I’m just trying to gauge how much so compared to Dinwiddie, Varina, and King George for region B.
So you’re saying they blew out Stonebridge?! I don’t think so! Oh,and SB WAS missing their starting QB. Stonebridge doesn’t have the athletes, but they have Hall of Fame coaching that knows how to neutralize the teams athletes.

All those blowouts show me is that freedom played in a weak region, and didn’t have the guts to increase their schedule. For the record, adding Coolidge doesn’t exactly help the strength of schedule either. Division six was weak last year! A region finalist was beat by 5 TDs earlier in the year is proof of that.

You get respect by beating teams that are equal or getting on the road and playing those out of state REAL powers, not by playing the dredges of the country. Do you realize that freedom fell in the rankings after beating coolidge last week? They fell four spots,because beating an undermanned team to death means nothing but fake stats!

I honestly don’t see how Varina keeps this game within 21 points. No disrespect to Varina but watching the film from last week….. I think they keep it respectable for a half
Once again, I ask people, what has freedom faced, that will be anywhere close to the athletes that Varina has? The last team they scrimmage(Dunbar) and Coolidge are both on the level with John Marshall and Tucker. I don’t know how good Indian river is but if you’re ranked in the top 10 and 757, you must be pretty good. I’m quite sure it is much better than Coolidge or Dunbar. I do still think that Varina is having trouble with an offensive identity, but the one thing you can always depend on is that nasty, fast defense. I know for a fact the freedom kicking game stinks so if it comes down to that, I do give the advantage in special teams to Varina.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
The East End is different. Looking back in the past 5 years, Varina has only been “blown out” by Springs but you have to look at the athletes they’ve had on S. Oak. Freedom may win on Thursday but East End football is much much different from the teams they’ve played in NoVA.

Reactions: HooSprings
As a Stone Bridge guy, I will say that both Freedom and Highland Springs mirror each other in more ways than you can imagine. Both teams can strike with a big play on any snap and both teams can grind you to death by a thousand paper cuts. Loren Johnson demands excellence from his teams and they usually produce that. Darryl Overton has built a record-setting championship level program in short order.

It is really hard to find a weakness to expose on either team. Stone Bridge got much better (and healthier) as the season wore on last year which contributed to the Highland Springs score being closer than the Freedom score. Both games were on the road for SB so no advantage there. The better team won both games.

But this is 2023 and I think we all anticipate (and look forward to) a Class 6 semi-final match up between those 2 teams. Gaining home field advantage in that semi final game could be the slight edge that one of them needs.

I have one simple ask of both fan bases. Let’s not rush the regular season. Watching these 2 teams this year will entertain us all for a few months. Varina and Manchester (2 very worthy opponents) are up next.

So you’re saying they blew out Stonebridge?! I don’t think so! Oh,and SB WAS missing their starting QB. Stonebridge doesn’t have the athletes, but they have Hall of Fame coaching that knows how to neutralize the teams athletes.

All those blowouts show me is that freedom played in a weak region, and didn’t have the guts to increase their schedule. For the record, adding Coolidge doesn’t exactly help the strength of schedule either. Division six was weak last year! A region finalist was beat by 5 TDs earlier in the year is proof of that.

You get respect by beating teams that are equal or getting on the road and playing those out of state REAL powers, not by playing the dredges of the country. Do you realize that freedom fell in the rankings after beating coolidge last week? They fell four spots,because beating an undermanned team to death means nothing but fake stats!
Freedom DID blowout Stonebridge 36-13. . . . . . Your Springers only won 19-14 against Stonebridge last year. Big difference in scores there.

Freedom DID blowout Stonebridge 36-13. . . . . . Your Springers only won 19-14 against Stonebridge last year. Big difference in scores there.
It’s a big difference in the score, when Stonebridge did not have the starting quarterback vs Freedom! That’s a known fact! Anyone will tell you that Stonebridge got healthier as the season went on,and was at full strength when they were beaten by Highland Springs.

Maybe one day freedom will grow a spine,and play the schedule that Highland Springs plays.

The East End is different. Looking back in the past 5 years, Varina has only been “blown out” by Springs but you have to look at the athletes they’ve had on S. Oak. Freedom may win on Thursday but East End football is much much different from the teams they’ve played in NoVA.

Bo, I love your posts and insight...but as a 757 guy, I learned the hard way to respect other regions. Don't be fooled in thinking they don't have talent north of Richmond. Hope to meet you at a game this year.

It’s a big difference in the score, when Stonebridge did not have the starting quarterback vs Freedom! That’s a known fact! Anyone will tell you that Stonebridge got healthier as the season went on,and was at full strength when they were beaten by Highland Springs.

Maybe one day freedom will grow a spine,and play the schedule that Highland Springs plays.
Can't deny that HS goes all in on scheduling, they are setting the bar high. We have to respect Stonebridge's schedule this year too, as it gives a lot of us in the DMV a chance to answer some what if scenarios. Freedom did scrimmage DeMatha year and based on the video, I'd say Freedom took that. This year DeMatha may be much better. No disrespect to Varina, but I think the Freedom vs DeMatha game will be more telling of where Freedom is than this week's game.

Reactions: rainman17
Bo, I love your posts and insight...but as a 757 guy, I learned the hard way to respect other regions. Don't be fooled in thinking they don't have talent north of Richmond. Hope to meet you at a game this year.
Appreciate you brother. Likewise!

Growing up a GW Danville fan, I saw NoVA ball every year as GW was apart of the old Northwest Region. We’d past Richmond and Fredericksburg to have to play Stonewall Jackson, Hylton, Potomac, Garfield, Woodbridge, etc. Those teams were always stout and most of the time, it GW lost to Franklin County or Glass then we’d have to play the best team there on the road. Football and basketball, it was a huge challenge. I remember reading an article/post a few years back on how most of the once prominent NoVA programs are suffering from kids transferring to the private schools. Very valid argument, especially in basketball. IMO, there is still really good ball in NoVA, but there teams tend to stay local and don’t really play teams from the 804 or 757. My sole take on Freedom is they’re very good but I don’t think they’ve seen a team to match their caliber of athletes like a Varina or Highland Springs. To your point, I do think it’s unfair to minimize the talent of NoVA ball. Madison, South County, Freedom, Woodgrove, Broad Run, Battlefield, Westfield, Broddock, Centreville, Chantilly, Stone Bridge, Robinson, and now Gainesville are all very good programs in my eyes.

Reactions: CavsGrad

I’ve seen Dinwiddie three times and Varina play Indian River. Neither team has the trenches to beat Phoebus. Just being honest.

I will see King George Thursday when they play Hampton. I’ll let you know about my opinion on them after that game.

I’ve seen Dinwiddie three times and Varina play Indian River. Neither team has the trenches to beat Phoebus. Just being honest.

I will see King George Thursday when they play Hampton. I’ll let you know about my opinion on them after that game.
Phoebus has a freshman quarterback so I can't imagine them scoring much against either of those defenses. Looks like all of the top teams has some flaws.

Nobody is saying it ain’t different I believe Freedom ain’t the lil team from NOVA y’all think they are they’re legit. They got talent and they ain’t afraid of a lil competition or rough natured football, don’t be fooled by all the suburbs and nice houses in NOVA there’s some dogs who reside out there too.

Nobody is saying it ain’t different I believe Freedom ain’t the lil team from NOVA y’all think they are they’re legit. They got talent and they ain’t afraid of a lil competition or rough natured football, don’t be fooled by all the suburbs and nice houses in NOVA there’s some dogs who reside out there too.
Freedom is actually one of the rougher schools in NoVA.

Our line play now will be different by time November comes. Will be tough but I think we’ll be able to adjust if the stars align.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
Our line play now will be different by time November comes. Will be tough but I think we’ll be able to adjust if the stars align.
Great point. The Generals are a little light in the tail and a little behind because our o line coach departed. No excuses. I agree whole heartedly @General172011. Dinwiddie always adapts and overcomes. I know you strongly desire a rematch with the Phantoms and so do I. Both of Phoebus interior lines are rock solid and as @Phoebus Fan said that's were they have the edge over Dinwiddie. One game at a time. A lot of games to be won before we can think about the Phantoms, but the thought of it will surely get the adrenaline flowing.

Reactions: General172011
Freedom is actually one of the rougher schools in NoVA.
Yeah which is why I don’t think they are intimidated by teams that many feel have more athletes or play a specific brand of football. Varina is a good team but Freedom is different, Varina gets up for the HS game because it’s a rivalry will they do the same for freedom?

Yeah which is why I don’t think they are intimidated by teams that many feel have more athletes or play a specific brand of football. Varina is a good team but Freedom is different, Varina gets up for the HS game because it’s a rivalry will they do the same for freedom?
I can see both teams getting up for this one. I don't know how well Freedom travels, but I hope its a good atmosphere. Would love to go, but I think I'm saving my football trip to Richmond for the Maury vs. Dinwiddie game.

You get respect by beating teams that are equal or getting on the road and playing those out of state REAL powers, not by playing the dredges of the country. Do you realize that freedom fell in the rankings after beating coolidge last week? They fell four spots,because beating a undermanned team to death means nothing but fake stats!
@HooSprings you make some valid points… I guess I don’t understand why you are so confident they are overrated. To be clear, you didn’t use those words, but it sounds like that is what you are saying. I agree their schedule wasn’t as hard as springs and everything else but they still blasted everyone and have a lot of player that will play at the next level. Let’s just agree we will know more after the Varina game.

As far as Salem, they are improved, maybe by season's end they'll be much improved.
LCA is a serious C3 contender with their line play, speed, and coaching.

A couple of game scores that caught my attention:

Hampton handling Woodside after being trounced last year.

Loudoun Co with a hard fought W over Woodgrove.

Tuscarora only putting up 9 against Heritage LC. Kind of makes me think Region C could come down to LC or Woodgrove?
County is the returning champs of the Dulles area. They looked big and played well in all areas just like last year. Their QB play is better than last year as well. Woodgrove disappointed on offense and defense from what I was expecting. They have a good QB and new Offensive Coordinator I believe. They started with a great well balanced long drive but let LC score on 1 run play to tie it up. LC looked a little better. They were good last year and seem to be the favorites to represent Region C, but we'll see.

So are you calling Varina in this game then? This wasn’t about HS? Freedom will be your biggest foe regardless of classification IMO. What is your score for the Varina vs Freedom match up?
Varina can match Freedom as far as skill players but I believe Freedom will be too much in the Trenches for Varina. My prediction Freedom 28-14 over Varina.

MaxPreps has Freedom ahead of Highland Springs in 6a, but national they have Highland Springs ahead of Freedom. What’s up with that?

MaxPreps has Freedom ahead of Highland Springs in 6a, but national they have Highland Springs ahead of Freedom. What’s up with that?
It was like that last year too. Different formula used for the national ranking for some reason. Every national publication has Highland Springs well ahead of Freedom. High School Football America national poll moved HS into the top 70(#69) after the Miramar win,but dropped Freedom 4 spots to 293 after their win over a less than stellar Coolidge team. The dropped Phoebus too(300).

Craig Co. blowing out Bland Co. 36 - 6. Didn't think Craig Co. was capable of blowing out a sandlot team. I guess it's because Bland Co. dropped football for couple years and are starting from scratch. Looks like it will be a long season for the Bears. Glad they able to get the football program going again.

Craig Co. blowing out Bland Co. 36 - 6. Didn't think Craig Co. was capable of blowing out a sandlot team. I guess it's because Bland Co. dropped football for couple years and are starting from scratch. Looks like it will be a long season for the Bears. Glad they able to get the football program going again.
I ALWAYS pull for the very small schools when it comes to sports.....they have so many obstacles to overcome.

Phoebus has a freshman quarterback so I can't imagine them scoring much against either of those defenses. Looks like all of the top teams has some flaws.
Reek Banks is elite and not slated to be the starting QB lol y’all really don’t know what Phoebus has…and it’s funny because he’s a freshman we won’t score much? You realize if a freshman is playing at a program like Phoebus it’s for a reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: pizzzzza
As it should be different but as of August 29th it’s a big advantage Phoebus has over Dinwiddie. It’s the same line from last year with a 6’5 290 LT all PD transfer added to the mix and on defense we have the best PROVEN DE tandem in the state with Reddick and Stephenson with studs in the inside.

Hope y’all realize Phoebus returns 8 starters from that historic defense last year.

Reactions: pizzzzza
Great point. The Generals are a little light in the tail and a little behind because our o line coach departed. No excuses. I agree whole heartedly @General172011. Dinwiddie always adapts and overcomes. I know you strongly desire a rematch with the Phantoms and so do I. Both of Phoebus interior lines are rock solid and as @Phoebus Fan said that's were they have the edge over Dinwiddie. One game at a time. A lot of games to be won before we can think about the Phantoms, but the thought of it will surely get the adrenaline flowing.
Makes sense that their offensive line coach is different. They just look different this year. Where did he go?

Reek Banks is elite and not slated to be the starting QB lol y’all really don’t know what Phoebus has…and it’s funny because he’s a freshman we won’t score much? You realize if a freshman is playing at a program like Phoebus it’s for a reason.
You guy's just got blanked by Maury. I promise you these defenses will be close to the same level as that come December. With that said all of these teams have big games this week. We will get plenty of answers and should be some good talk on Saturday.

Stonebridge has started off slow for a few years now but by the time the playoffs roll around they are a completely different team. For example SB barely beat James Madison by 1 point in the 1st game of the season on a last second field goal. SB played Colonial Forge at home 1 week after the Freedom game and barely won 20-14. HSHS played Colonial Forge away 1 week after SB and beat them 56-0. SB did not have qb situation sorted out when they played Freedom but they did by the time they played HSHS. SB lost to JM last week but I will bet they will look like a different team come playoff time. Oh yeah BTW, when SB played HSHS last year, HSHS was up 19-0 going into the 4th quarter. Coach LJ took his foot off the gas and stopped being aggressive on offense and SB stormed back. You can't take your foot off the gas with a team like SB.

Reactions: SBOEDog
Makes sense that their offensive line coach is different. They just look different this year. Where did he go?
I want to know why Phoebus does not schedule tougher games on their schedule. Maury has been stepping up their schedule the past few years but i don't see Phoebus doing the same. They play Oscar Smith but that is about it. With a team that talented it seems like they would want to challenge their players a little more than they do.

You guy's just got blanked by Maury. I promise you these defenses will be close to the same level as that come December. With that said all of these teams have big games this week. We will get plenty of answers and should be some good talk on Saturday.
Phoebus plays a weak schedule they better hope it doesn't bite them come state semis because Region B is unlike anything they saw last year or will see this year in the regular season. I don't want to hear what Phoebus has unless they are willing to challenge their players by playing better comp. Oscar Smith was weak last year and that was the best team Phoebus played. Oscar Smith appears to be the best team on Phoebus schedule this year but Oscar Smith barely beat a weak Hermitage team last week. If Phoebus wins the C4 championship this year I will give them props but if not they have no one to Blame but themselves. Dinwiddie had the guts to put Maury and Glenville on their schedule and Varina plays HSHS and they put Freedom on their schedule. Real teams don't run from the smoke they embrace it.

Reactions: wolverinedad2018
I want to know why Phoebus does not schedule tougher games on their schedule. Maury has been stepping up their schedule the past few years but i don't see Phoebus doing the same. They play Oscar Smith but that is about it. With a team that talented it seems like they would want to challenge their players a little more than they do.
They’re not allowed to! They’re only allowed 1 out of district game I believe

The national top 100 ranking on MaxPreps is a "human" ranking while the state rankings use the "computer" ratings.

You can see the national rankings according to the computer formula on calpreps:

Reactions: HooSprings
As it should be different but as of August 29th it’s a big advantage Phoebus has over Dinwiddie. It’s the same line from last year with a 6’5 290 LT all PD transfer added to the mix and on defense we have the best PROVEN DE tandem in the state with Reddick and Stephenson with studs in the inside.

Hope y’all realize Phoebus returns 8 starters from that historic defense last year.
@Phoebus Fan, you know I respect your opinion and the Phantoms program, but are you really poking your chest out over taking another teams best players (transfers) and calling them yours? Is that how the great and powerful Phoebus teams of past earned their stripes?

We get it. Phoebus is the bomb diggity and the rest of Class 4 should just stay on the bus. Lol I don't understand why you keep saying "y'all don't know what Phoebus has". The Class 4 posters are by far the most knowledgeable group on this board. Everybody knows and acknowledges the talent Phoebus has, but unfortunately you still have to prove it on the field. As @Thomasddev noted your regular season schedule and the region playoffs will offer very little challenge for the Phantoms.

I don't care what anybody says King George, Varina, Dinwiddie, or anybody who comes out of B are going to knock heads with Phantoms. In fact, I know your defense very well and the King George offense is capable of exposing your weaknesses. What I don't know is if the Foxes can stop your offense. Believe me the boys in Navy are not going to lay down if they get the chance. Remember 2010, our little one horse town team led by @General172011, who plays with what we raise, scared the piss out of the Phantoms for 3 and 3/4 quarters. Just my ten cents. Good luck to the Phantoms on Friday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT