ADVERTISEMENT

So which outcomes surprised you this week?

Well if you don't think a Tom Hall coached team with 18 returning starters doesn't stand a chance then I suppose you just don't respect their program. You said Miramar stood no chance against you guys and that game went to the 4th quarter.

Manchester ended up winning 11 straight games last year after they lost to HSHS. So to take a page out of your book I'm sure they had "chemistry" issues that a young team would have, and your Springers took advantage.

That's not the case this year. You're playing a veteran team with playoff experience this time. The biggest concern is that this is Manchester's 1st game so your Springers will probably be in better shape.
They won 11 straight,because they didn’t face anyone the caliber of a Highland Springs or Stonebridge or Freedom, until they got their hats handed to them vs a FASTER Western branch. Were they still having chemistry issues when they faced them? teams from Richmond struggle when they face a team that is faster than they are.

Miramar looked smaller on film because I didn’t realize how big Edison was. That’s MY mistake,but once again Johnson had the answer for an identical team to his. His first half defensive Brilliance proved the difference.

I do respect Manchester,but until they ACTUALLY BEAT HSHS,there’s no reason to believe it will happen. Miramar had a game under their belt before we played them just like Chambers did last year. We were definitely out of sync in the first quarter vs BOTH teams,and came out golden in both games. Manchester won’t face a better QB this year than Martin. 4 of his linemen returned and added the all region tackle from Hermitage. That offense killed Manchester with their combined speed last year. Until Manchester actually beats them, there’s no way you pick against HS.

I’ll post this same question, (see title), next week, too. It’s neat to see that we have such similar opinions, and when we don’t, it’s eye opening.

I was looking at the games that Mike chose for the “pick-‘em”. Wow, I can’t remember a season when we had this many exciting matchups this early in the season.

I only read what Matt wrote as he did his blog on the Lake Taylor/Camden NJ game, but on the surface it looks like Lake Taylor surprised just about everybody by not just winning, but by dominating. In case you missed it, please remember LT’s Coach Hank Sawyer in your prayers. His mother passed away recently.

I didn’t know Miramar was Top 200 in the Nation, they were #60 in Florida before the game kicked off

I kinda figured it would be a defensive battle. It was humid as hell in Chesapeake last night, not an excuse but definitely plays into account of an ugly game. Big week for the East End. Freedom at Varina on Thursday and Manchester at Springs on Friday.
@BoKnowsSports I will be rooting for Varina of course but I think they are going to be in trouble against Freedom. Freedom just blasted a Coolige team from DC that was 11-2 last season 48-0 yesterday.

@DinwiddieProud maybe I missed where someone mentioned this already, if so, my apologies. How about Meadowbrook getting a victory! They play TJ this week . That game is of interest now in my book for entertainment purposes.

Regarding HSHS vs Manchester I think Springs is the favorite and my pick but Manchester some big athletic kids to compete but I think Springs might have more elite depth. I'll take Springs.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
@BoKnowsSports I will be rooting for Varina of course but I think they are going to be in trouble against Freedom. Freedom just blasted a Coolige team from DC that was 11-2 last season 48-0 yesterday.

@DinwiddieProud maybe I missed where someone mentioned this already, if so, my apologies. How about Meadowbrook getting a victory! They play TJ this week . That game is of interest now in my book for entertainment purposes.

Regarding HSHS vs Manchester I think Springs is the favorite and my pick but Manchester some big athletic kids to compete but I think Springs might have more elite depth. I'll take Springs.
Yes, happy for Meadowbrook win. Being in C6 is tough for them if I'm not mistaken. And good luck Varina against freedom, like you said they beat coolige and they were #1 in DC rankings within their division.

Varina might be in more than a bit of trouble. Freedom was scary last year and even scarier this year. I know a lot of posters here call them an all star/travel team, although I honestly don't know what they do that's any different than most other top teams. I'll eat all of the crow if I'm wrong, but I would be shocked if any team in VA stays within two scores of them.

Varina might be in more than a bit of trouble. Freedom was scary last year and even scarier this year. I know a lot of posters here call them an all star/travel team, although I honestly don't know what they do that's any different than most other top teams. I'll eat all of the crow if I'm wrong, but I would be shocked if any team in VA stays within two scores of them.
Coolidge is ranked #72 in the Washington Metro Area! They are ranked behind a pathetic AT BEST Dunbar. Public schools in DC are below average at best according to the St James Prep team’s fans that I spoke to Saturday when they got beat by Chaminade-Madonna in Florida. All the public schools refuse to play the private schools because they can’t legitimately compete. Good Coucil got taken apart by St Edwards today. The public schools refuse to play them too. Trying to compare Coolidge to Varina is ridiculous. Coolidge is more of a D2 VA program than a D4.

Btw….there is a reason why EVERY national publication ranks Highland Springs ahead of Freedom! Js 🤫

Coolidge is ranked #72 in the Washington Metro Area! They are ranked behind a pathetic AT BEST Dunbar. Public schools in DC are below average at best according to the St James Prep team’s fans that I spoke to Saturday when they got beat by Chaminade-Madonna in Florida. All the public schools refuse to play the private schools because they can’t legitimately compete. Good Coucil got taken apart by St Edwards today. The public schools refuse to play them too. Trying to compare Coolidge to Varina is ridiculous. Coolidge is more of a D2 VA program than a D4.

Btw….there is a reason why EVERY national publication ranks Highland Springs ahead of Freedom! Js 🤫
Look at Hoosprings cooking up facts 🔥🔥 I heard Coolidge was hot garbage as well.

So are you calling Varina in this game then? This wasn’t about HS? Freedom will be your biggest foe regardless of classification IMO. What is your score for the Varina vs Freedom match up?

Reactions: CavsGrad
Gotta show Pulaski some love. I know Northside is down, but Pulaski dominated them and the Cougars have a young team. They play a vicious schedule this year. Maybe they make some noise in C3 this year?

The DCIAA is split into upper and lower divisions and Coolidge plays in the lower division. Basically a league of George Wythes and John Marshalls. Annandale who went 3-7 last year played one of the teams from that league (Cardozo) last year and beat them 55-14. Even the upper division only has one or two okay teams in a given year. HD Woodson had some nice teams a while back but they have dropped off considerably.

I think you mean St. John's. They are actually playing Roosevelt next week who were the DC public school champions last year and gave a respectable showing against Gonzaga. Unfortunately Roosevelt's star QB transferred to Wise who are playing Maury. St. John's will destroy them.

Stone Bridge is playing Good Counsel this year. They will probably be overmatched.

Last edited:
So are you calling Varina in this game then? This wasn’t about HS? Freedom will be your biggest foe regardless of classification IMO. What is your score for the Varina vs Freedom match up?
Earlier this summer I said somewhere along the lines of 45-21 Freedom but after watching the Indian River game I honestly don’t know if Varina will be able to put up that many points. They have all the athletes in the world & one of the best defenses in the region but I still don’t see a clear identity for them

Just FYI Dodson left Woodside after 24 years and all their talent transferred out. And I mean all their talent. Don’t be shocked if they only win 3-4 games this year.
Where did most of their talent land?

I'm not comparing Varina to Coolidge, and wasn't making this about HS. I'm comparing Varina to Freedom. If you want to take Varina, I'll take that bet. Freedom has the players, coaching, and they don't make a lot of mistakes.

Rankings are fun to look at it, can get it right sometimes, and they change from week to week. Just about everybody had St. Frances ranked high this year too...but that hasn't helped St. Frances on the field. Js

^St Frances didn't do themselves any favors with that schedule. I could see where it might take them a few weeks to develop some chemistry and really get rolling. Buford and Chaminade Madonna were probably not ideal matchups for them starting off. And I see at least three more losses. Of course you could say the same thing about Buford with their transfers. In general, I feel like rankings are kind of hit or miss especially this early in the year.

I'm not comparing Varina to Coolidge, and wasn't making this about HS. I'm comparing Varina to Freedom. If you want to take Varina, I'll take that bet. Freedom has the players, coaching, and they don't make a lot of mistakes.

Rankings are fun to look at it, can get it right sometimes, and they change from week to week. Just about everybody had St. Frances ranked high this year too...but that hasn't helped St. Frances on the field. Js
St. Francis lost three defensive lineman in the first half of their game with Buford for the season, and now they’re down to five total defensive lineman and that showed in the heat against Chaminade-Madonna. They played three down lineman, and the one defensive tackle tried to play the entire game. every player on that team has a division one offer, but nothing could’ve made a difference in the heat to that defensive tackle. They are still one of the 15 best teams in the nation. I consider it pretty Balzy to open the season playing two of the top five teams in the nation in their house.

As far as Varina, my point is, freedom hasn’t seen a decent team since they played Stonebridge last year. Varina is loaded with speed and equal if not better talent. Do I think freedom wins? yeah,but not by two touchdowns in their own house. I expect an extremely physical game with a lot of hitting after the whistle on both sides. A couple of mental mistakes in either direction will decide this game.

We can worry about HS/Freedom toward the end of the season if they both get to each other.

Some of the better schools in NC and SC decided to take on Buford, Colquitt County, Langston Hughes, Lowndes, Benedictine and Grayson. GA will win them ALL. Comfortably. With the exception of that one between Creek and Buford. Butler will be no match for Hughes and I'd bet Grayson rolls Spartanburg and Fort Dorchester. They were too much for them last year.

I figured the GA schools would win, but expected a few of those to be more competitive..Dutch Fork vs Colquitt (CC 48-17) , Christ School vs Lowndes (Lowndes 46-21), and Chambers vs Benedictine (Benedictine 42-9). Not even close.

The DCIAA is split into upper and lower divisions and Coolidge plays in the lower division. Basically a league of George Wythes and John Marshalls. Annandale who went 3-7 last year played one of the teams from that league (Cardozo) last year and beat them 55-14. Even the upper division only has one or two okay teams in a given year. HD Woodson had some nice teams a while back but they have dropped off considerably.

I think you mean St. John's. They are actually playing Roosevelt next week who were the DC public school champions last year and gave a respectable showing against Gonzaga. Unfortunately Roosevelt's star QB transferred to Wise who are playing Maury. St. John's will destroy them.

Stone Bridge is playing Good Counsel this year. They will probably be overmatched.
That was my point! Freedom hasn’t played a good team yet, so we don’t know how truly good they are. I want to see them play a team that can match their speed and match their talent.

I watched good counsel play against Saint Edward yesterday,and I agree,it is not going to be pretty when Stonebridge faces them. good counsel and Saint James are head and shoulders above everyone in Maryland.

St. Francis lost three defensive lineman in the first half of their game with Buford for the season, and now they’re down to five total defensive lineman and that showed in the heat against Chaminade-Madonna. They played three down lineman, and the one defensive tackle tried to play the entire game. every player on that team has a division one offer, but nothing could’ve made a difference in the heat to that defensive tackle. They are still one of the 15 best teams in the nation. I consider it pretty Balzy to open the season playing two of the top five teams in the nation in their house.

As far as Varina, my point is, freedom hasn’t seen a decent team since they played Stonebridge last year. Varina is loaded with speed and equal if not better talent. Do I think freedom wins? yeah,but not by two touchdowns in their own house. I expect an extremely physical game with a lot of hitting after the whistle on both sides. A couple of mental mistakes in either direction will decide this game.

We can worry about HS/Freedom toward the end of the season if they both get to each other.
Speed? LOLOLOL? Just as much talent?!? BAHAHA?!?! Hasn’t played a decent team…..?!? Man week after week, you guys constantly fuel Freedom, and set their next opponents up to get absolutely annihilated. This week, will be NO DIFFERENT.

Speed? LOLOLOL? Just as much talent?!? BAHAHA?!?! Hasn’t played a decent team…..?!? Man week after week, you guys constantly fuel Freedom, and set their next opponents up to get absolutely annihilated. This week, will be NO DIFFERENT.
Name a good team that you played! Varina has the same speed, if not more than Freedom. Across-the-board talent ,I have to ask, who has more division 1 talent? You didn’t exactly manhandle the last good team that you played, and they were missing their starting quarterback. Varina is not one of those weak ars teams you’re playing your region.

He's right though! Lol. What was Freedom's best win last season? Stone Bridge. And that isn't a knock on Stone Bridge either. I happen to think they have a solid program. I think Freedom is pretty good as well. But you do actually have to prove it at some point. I'm looking at Massey. I'll give you credit for DeMatha even though you're probably going to lose that one. That is the only game on your schedule in the regular season against an opponent in the top 1000. Varina is class 4 right? No one else on Freedom's schedule is ranked in the top 2000. I don't really like HS, but they've earned some respect. He does have a point.

Freedom will get a dose of the 804 on Thursday. PWC football is down and most would lose by 3-4 scores to our Freeman’s, Herm’s and Dale’s with the exception of Battlefield, Freedom and maybe Gainesville. Those are our middle of the pack teams and I haven’t even named Springs, Dinwiddie, Manchester, or Varina. Freedom winning by 2 scores wouldn’t surprise me but Varina winning won’t be a surprise either.

Buford beat them 56-7 last year. But that's when they had Justice Haynes. Mallard Creek never let Raiola get comfortable. Had something like six sacks. Just couldn't score when they needed to. Both teams have pretty stout defenses.
Chambers looking rough this year. I know they played a private school but that program is on the down turn. I like Wiggins and don’t think it’s him, just thinks he needs some better coaches around him. A lot of people blamed it on Littlejohn and ran him off last year but they’re running the same plays. Definitely think Creek is better than Hough and will have the defense to take down East Forsyth and Grimsley for 4A. Athletes everywhere.

Freedom will get a dose of the 804 on Thursday. PWC football is down and most would lose by 3-4 scores to our Freeman’s, Herm’s and Dale’s with the exception of Battlefield, Freedom and maybe Gainesville. Those are our middle of the pack teams and I haven’t even named Springs, Dinwiddie, Manchester, or Varina. Freedom winning by 2 scores wouldn’t surprise me but Varina winning won’t be a surprise either.
Who in the world is Gainesville?! Are they new or who did they used to be?

Last edited:
Chambers looking rough this year. I know they played a private school but that program is on the down turn. I like Wiggins and don’t think it’s him, just thinks he needs some better coaches around him. A lot of people blamed it on Littlejohn and ran him off last year but they’re running the same plays. Definitely think Creek is better than Hough and will have the defense to take down East Forsyth and Grimsley for 4A. Athletes everywhere.
Buford has the number one quarterback in the nation(5🌟 committed to Georgia). he transferred from a high school in Arizona,and they are still having problems adjusting chemistry around him although they beat a shorthanded St. James in the first week on a blocked fg return for a touchdown when St. James was trying to seal the game. I think they are severely overrated being a top-five team.

Who won the world is Gainesville?! Are they new or who did they used to be?
They’re going to be very good in a season, maybe even this year. Their head coach came from Briar Woods and they run a college style offense. Mostly sophomores and juniors. They’d give a lot of our teams in the 804 a challenge.

Gainesville's QB from last season may be regretting his transfer to Life Christian.

I feel like Chambers would benefit from just some continuity. They've had some coaching turnover going back to their run. I think JV had trouble even finding games last year. It's hard to stay on top in Charlotte as it is and CMS doesn't make it any easier. Look at the coaches that have left: Knotts, Brand, Palmeiri.

I told you Creek might surprise some people. It's been one of those two out of the conference. The game against Benedictine should've been more competitive. They're private, but I'm pretty sure they're only 4A.

Buford has the number one quarterback in the nation(5🌟 committed to Georgia). he transferred from a high school in Arizona,and they are still having problems adjusting chemistry around him although they beat a shorthanded St. James in the first week on a blocked fg return for a touchdown when St. James was trying to seal the game. I think they are severely overrated being a top-five team.
St James? You're thinking about a different team. Buford shut out St Frances their first game 18-0. I'd agree they might be a little overrated, simply because they don't have the same run game as last year, but their defense is nasty. Overall, their roster is absolutely loaded with talent (three composite 5-stars in their '24 class). Still have time to figure things out on offense. North Cobb will be a good test for them this week.

Last edited:
St James? You're thinking about a different team. Buford shut out St Frances their first game 18-0. I'd agree they might be a little overrated, simply because they don't have the same run game as last year, but their defense is nasty. Overall, their roster is absolutely loaded with talent. Still have time to figure things out on offense. North Cobb will be a good test for them this week.
You are correct! The blocked field goal was at the end of the first half. I was actually sitting beside the kickers dad, the whole game with Chaminade Madonna. They were trying to put three points on the board at the end of the first half and the field goal was blocked he said. Saint James has a quarterback going to Oregon and the corner Going to Oregon as well. The corner guarded the number one wide receiver in the nation for Madonna the entire game, and it was one hell of a matchup. The middle of the defense for Saint James just got worn down in that heat. They play north Cobb this week, and then they travel to California to play Bosco the following week. That’s a nightmare schedule! Lol

I feel like Chambers would benefit from just some continuity. They've had some coaching turnover going back to their run. I think JV had trouble even finding games last year. It's hard to stay on top in Charlotte as it is and CMS doesn't make it any easier. Look at the coaches that have left: Knotts, Brand, Palmeiri.

I told you Creek might surprise some people. It's been one of those two out of the conference. The game against Benedictine should've been more competitive. They're private, but I'm pretty sure they're only 4A.
Their JV coach won’t develop the kids he has because he’s too concerned with the “Associate Head Coach” title. Just a lot of things against what they have going on there.

^I kinda got those vibes after they posted the job last year and I saw the titles. I think Wiggins is solid, so hopefully they can get things straightened out. It's better when those three are good. I don't think West Charlotte is in a position to compete at that level yet, but could be wrong. We'll see after this week.

Last edited:
Love my east end boys but after watching the Indian River film, I think this one is going to get out of hand.

Defense looks good no worries there.

Offensively, Varina might not score. Basic bland play-calling. Same as last year. O-line looks big but is not physical at all. No real emphasis on establishing the run. The WR 6 is awesome but you can only get away with throwing it up so many times against elite competition. At points in the game Varina lined up in a traditional I-form to run the ball. Anybody from a mile a away can see you're trying to run then when you're a spread team. I'm just disappointed in the offense not evolving at all the last 2 years. You got lucky with a bunch a of transfer athletes the state championship year and they just made plays happen. But this will look exactly like last years team if not for a serious offensive overhaul.

Last edited:
You are correct! The blocked field goal was at the end of the first half. I was actually sitting beside the kickers dad, the whole game with Chaminade Madonna. They were trying to put three points on the board at the end of the first half and the field goal was blocked he said. Saint James has a quarterback going to Oregon and the corner Going to Oregon as well. The corner guarded the number one wide receiver in the nation for Madonna the entire game, and it was one hell of a matchup. The middle of the defense for Saint James just got worn down in that heat. They play north Cobb this week, and then they travel to California to play Bosco the following week. That’s a nightmare schedule! Lol
You mean St. Francis, not St. James. The only st James that I can think of are in Murrells inlet, SC and Hagerstown MD. St Francis is in Baltimore.

^I kinda got those vibes after they posted the job last year and I saw the titles. I think Wiggins is solid, so hopefully they can get things straightened out. It's better when those three are good. I don't think West Charlotte is in a position to compete at that level yet, but could be wrong. We'll see after this week.
Yeah the guy they brought in is definitely a clout chaser and there is a lot of people in that community that know it. It sucks for those kids at JC. Chambers has a better skill group than Hough, Creek and probably Weddington but I like all those teams by a few TDs. If they couldn’t do it last year with the all star lineup they had, they certainly won’t with their losses and the other teams getting better.

Dub C is very young and that offense is atrocious. I think Crest & Weddington ate the teams to beat in the whole area.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT