ADVERTISEMENT

Spotswood on top again

Sep 23, 2011
For the fifth straight year, a valley team has won the state title. This also marks the ninth year in a row that a valley team has played in the girls state final. Spotswood wins their third in the last 4 years and their fourth title overall.

Junior Addisen DeLucas hit a free throw with 0.4 secs left to give Spotswood a one point lead. Neither team got into an offensive groove but SHS did just enough to pull off the win over Magna Vista.

Side note- was very disappointed to see the MV fans all booing the Spotswood ladies as they went through the line and the booing continued through the trophy presentation. Bad call or not, boo the officials, not the team that beat you.

Congrats to Coach Dodson and his powerhouse that he and his staff have built. Only one senior (JMU signee Kendyl Brooks) look for the Blazers again next year.

Reactions: AntGZee
In response to your post the officiating was absolutely terrible from the tip off and I have never seen a set of officials who set the tone of a high school basketball game. And in reference to your comment about the MV fans booing during the Spotswood trophy presentation as a Magna Vista fan, I was too upset to care about a trophy presentation so I wasn't involved in any booing. And if any fans "booed" I'm sure it was because they had just witness their daughter, niece, cousin, granddaughter, or sister be ripped from an opportunity to be named state champs. Does it make it right? No, but there is no way you and anyone else can be proud of how this game was set by the officiating. MV could have won and the MV fans would still be upset at how the officiating was. So it's not that we can't lose because we have loss before so that's not the point or principal. But the point and principal is that officiating has to change in high school sports because adults for their selfish reasons chose to set the tone for games which causes hurt feelings and broken hearts.

And MV will be back because we are only losing one starter too and we don't rebuild we reload. So look out because we will back stronger than we were.
I wasn't at the game but I can agree that officials are horrible. If I'm not mistaken, Tom Izzo or one of the big name college coaches even said that today's officials make it about them...Its all about the kids. Unless blood is shed of the foul is extremely blatant, no way should an official dictate the outcome of a game the way that those officials did to Magna Vista...End of story!!!

I wasn't at the game but I can agree that officials are horrible. If I'm not mistaken, Tom Izzo or one of the big name college coaches even said that today's officials make it about them...Its all about the kids. Unless blood is shed of the foul is extremely blatant, no way should an official dictate the outcome of a game the way that those officials did to Magna Vista...End of story!!!
How can you say the officials were terrible if you were not at the game? If you really want to change the officiating of high school sports, grab your striped shirt and whistle and give the officiating a try. You will soon find out that officiating is a lot easier from the stands than on the floor.

How can you say the officials were terrible if you were not at the game? If you really want to change the officiating of high school sports, grab your striped shirt and whistle and give the officiating a try. You will soon find out that officiating is a lot easier from the stands than on the floor.
As a whole around the state..As I observed from a spectator (As I stated)....A bunch of guys who never even played the sport that they're officiating..I have friends who are officials and they even said certain associations are horrendous...Nobody wants to pay $5-$10 to see the officials make the games about them...Its about the kids!!! And I wouldn't have it..I'm grateful for good officials like the ones who let the kids play and compete without whistling every 4 seconds...Not all officials are bad but stuff like this Spotswood/MV game??? (IVE SEEN THE TAPE) is a no call man!!

One of the problems with the VHSL basketball state games and the officiating is unlike football, baseball and softball the officials do not come from the same organization. The three guys probably meet for the first time an hour before the game. Each one works for different commissioner that will stress different rules. Where if the three officials came from the same area they would have worked games together and work together better as a group to call a better game. If you work with a person a few times a year, it really helps. I will never understand the VHSL logic on that deal.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Agree bowlingref. Makes zero sense. However, if from the video I saw of the game the one lady official is who I think it is .. she has a history of making games about herself and the officials.

One of the problems with the VHSL basketball state games and the officiating is unlike football, baseball and softball the officials do not come from the same organization. The three guys probably meet for the first time an hour before the game. Each one works for different commissioner that will stress different rules. Where if the three officials came from the same area they would have worked games together and work together better as a group to call a better game. If you work with a person a few times a year, it really helps. I will never understand the VHSL logic on that deal.
Yes sir I agree. I personally like refs from the Richmond area. I'm from Southside Virginia and games in RVA and the 757 areas have a "flow" to them whereas in the Danville, Lynchburg, Roanoke games have absolutely no flow to them. I've observed it for years and it gets worse and worse. You look at teams like IC Norcom, Henrico,Woodside, Bird, all tend to have more aggressive styles due to the officials in their areas letting them play, whereas you get a team like GW Danville or Northside, they play a lot less aggressive and tend to look for bailouts that would be a ticky tat foul called out in SWVA, that's not getting called here in Richmond. NOT ALL REFS ARE BAD!!! I think consistency and making it more about the student athletes would make all sports better..Just not here in VA, but on the college and professional level.

@ danvillesportshead, G. W. Danville does not look for bailouts from the officials. As coaches you just want the game called consistly. If you going let the play be physical then let both teams play physical. If you are going to call touch fouls then call touch fouls on both teams. We go back and watch the tapes after the games and you see guys hand checking and pulling on our guys, but when the other team has the ball they call hand check and does not allow physical play. Such as in the Monocan game and do not get me wrong they won the game but how the contact was call was very inconsistent. These are young men beginning to learn the game its really hard for them to adjust to officials when they call that way. You can watch the NCAA tournament and you can see that even the college players are having a hard time adjusting to the inconsistencies of the officals as well and these are more experienced players.

@ danvillesportshead, G. W. Danville does not look for bailouts from the officials. As coaches you just want the game called consistly. If you going let the play be physical then let both teams play physical. If you are going to call touch fouls then call touch fouls on both teams. We go back and watch the tapes after the games and you see guys hand checking and pulling on our guys, but when the other team has the ball they call hand check and does not allow physical play. Such as in the Monocan game and do not get me wrong they won the game but how the contact was call was very inconsistent. These are young men beginning to learn the game its really hard for them to adjust to officials when they call that way. You can watch the NCAA tournament and you can see that even the college players are having a hard time adjusting to the inconsistencies of the officals as well and these are more experienced players.
You won't find a bigger GW supporter than me and I have to say that this GW team was probably the best they've had since Ridge and JC played. Not as much size but those kids had heart and no they didn't look for bailouts this year...I have to say that Pat Robinson is probably the most tough/fearless player I've seen GW have in a long time. GW was dealt with bad calls throughout the playoffs but that should be fire for Amardius, Pat, Cayman, Cam, AJ, and Grasty to come out next year with vengeance. The reason I made that statement was because in the past, I've seen players that don't even make basketball moves that just expects the refs to make the call..Not just GW but Martinsville, Tunstall, Halifax,etc..Teams in our area..In fact I thought that GW was given raw deals all year long..Loudoun Valley game was atrocious, Carlisle, Martinsville game, and there were bad calls against Monacan. I hated to see Isaiah and Daquan go out like that, but I just feel like the refs we're VERY inconsistent and then factor in that we missed a couple gimme layups..It's really unfortunate for the guys.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT