ADVERTISEMENT

Spotswood Vs R.E. Lee-Staunton...Friday night.

leemen

VaPreps All District
Feb 12, 2004
Two state powers will meet in Staunton on Friday night. 3A Spotswood is 7-3 and have played a brutal schedule. The Blazers rolled over Waynesboro last night 73-35 and have won their last few games in blowout fashion. Their losses were to Handley, Huguenot, and Colonial Forge...all games they could have easily won. They also have big wins over Handley and East Rock.

Lee is 11-0 and is coming off of a somewhat lackluster game against Fort Defiance. The Leemen pulled away late for a 61-51 win. The Leemen have blowout wins over Sherando, Amelia County, and wins over Alleghany(who beat 3A power Northside) and Harrisonburg. Lee is led by Darius George and Jarvis Vaughan. The duo at 6'7 and 6'8 have been a wrecking force for the Leemen this year.

The Blazers have a long Valley District winning streak dating back several years...not exactly sure how long it is. So....something will give between these two rivals on Friday. The Blazers winning streak or Lee's unbeaten record. Regardless of the outcome...both have the chance of reaching the final four and competing for a state title.

My opinion is...a good game. I think Lee at home in front of a big crowd should be ready to go. I think last night is not an indication of the focus Lee will have Friday. With that being said...Spotswood is well coached and very good. They run a system and it's based on defense. The key will be Lee staying out of foul trouble, not turning the ball over, rebounding, and playing good defense. That combination will lead to a Lee win. I honestly see this going either direction but....I am going to go out on a bit of a limb and say Lee by 2.

Thoughts on this one?

If you're looking for a good game on Friday this is one that you should check out!

Last edited:
All I can say is wow. I went to the Lee/Fort game Tuesday. It was the first Lee game I have been to this year. I came away with 1 thought. There is no way Lee doesn't win the state championship this year. I know things can happen, but they have all the pieces. They have outstanding athleticism, height, shooting, and the most important thing, resilience. I saw a game where other teams would have folded but in this game I saw the players get themselves together, and go out and win. I have been thinking all day about what could keep them from winning the title, and the only thing I can come up with is if they can't adjust to what another team throws at them. Mark it down!!! Lee high state champs 2017.

I'm not sure how much of a crowd edge Lee will have. Spotswood fans will show up strong. Playing on the home court helps. Lee's advantage is inside (George and Vaughan) while Spotswood's guards plus forward Irvine are better then Lee's supporting cast. Defense edge goes to Spotswood while Lee might be better rebounding. So it could come down to foul trouble with George or Vaughan. I expect one or both to deal with it. I'll predict Spotswood by 10-15 points, pulling away down the stretch with free throws.

All I can say is wow. I went to the Lee/Fort game Tuesday. It was the first Lee game I have been to this year. I came away with 1 thought. There is no way Lee doesn't win the state championship this year.

Didn't Lee trail at half? Isn't Fort a sub .500 team? You may very well end up being right, but that result doesn't scream lock for the title to me. But, then again, it's only one game.

Didn't Lee trail at half? Isn't Fort a sub .500 team? You may very well end up being right, but that result doesn't scream lock for the title to me. But, then again, it's only one game.

They did indeed Mayberryite. I am not sure if they were looking ahead or just playing flat. Fort has been up and down this year as well. Lee after halftime went on a 22-6 run right out of the gate and put it away. So...I am hoping it was one game.

I am not ready to give them a title yet...and that will have to be earned. They are certainly a favorite to be in Richmond but...it only takes one bad night to wreck a season come tourney time. There are some really solid teams in 2A and it could be a wide open race come tourney time. I agree though. As much as I love the Leemen I am not willing to give them the trophy. Overconfidence can beat you quicker than an opponent.

The Spotswood game will be a great test for both. In the next 2 weeks Lee will see Spotswood, Waynesboro, Harrisonburg and Martinsville. So...a pretty good stretch of tests for the Leemen.

Waynesboro is worst team they have had in 15 years. Easy Leemen .. don't go over hypingo_O

Valley Man...I was wondering about Waynesboro. Are they as bad as they were against Spotswood? I haven't seen them yet. I listed them as a win for Spotswood and key game for Lee....because of their recent program success. Plus Waynesboro is a key rival of Lee's.

How do you see the game tomorrow?

Here is my 2 cents on the matchup:

Defense: the edge goes to Spotswood, they play much better team defense than Lee does
Offense: Lee has a slight edge because they have 2 players capable of going for big numbers that are hard to contain
Coaching: edge to Spotswood. They will be better prepared and have a much better game plan for the game.
Personnel: Spotswood is missing Morris due to injury and Sullivan may or may not be back for this game

Lee has all the tools to beat Spotswood this year but I think Spotswood still wins this one with or without Sullivan playing.

I will match 1referee

D edge to Spotswood
Offense is a draw both teams will play to their strength
Coaching Spotswood .. although Hatcher is doing better
Personell Morris is huge for Wood. They are better with him

I think Spotswood wins if Sullivan plays cause he allows Wood to do more things. If Sullivan doesnt play, I say it is a toss up.

Spotswood's strength is Lee's weakness right now (guard play). Ouderkirk will be fine rebounding with George and Vaughn but who will he guard hmmm? Look for Spotswood to run and jump like the Lee of old and hide the big man.

Reactions: Lvehoops
I will match 1referee

D edge to Spotswood
Offense is a draw both teams will play to their strength
Coaching Spotswood .. although Hatcher is doing better
Personell Morris is huge for Wood. They are better with him

I think Spotswood wins if Sullivan plays cause he allows Wood to do more things. If Sullivan doesnt play, I say it is a toss up.

Spotswood's strength is Lee's weakness right now (guard play). Ouderkirk will be fine rebounding with George and Vaughn but who will he guard hmmm? Look for Spotswood to run and jump like the Lee of old and hide the big man.
I agree, it's a toss up if Sullivan is out. My prediction is based on him playing at least 15-20 minutes. He can score, rebound, pass, and defend. Like you said allows Spotswood to do more things.

The Lee vs Martinsville matchup will be an interesting game. I've heard alot about Lee and by the sounds of things they are the real deal.....But MHS will have plenty to say about whether RE Lee is championship ready or not. I wouldn't put any money on the game one way or another....I think it will be a good one. You can surely bet MHS will be ready come post season time and won't be an easy out. There's 6 or 7 teams when firing on all cylinders that could possibly win it all this year. I don't really think there's alot of separation in the Top 6 or 7....Could very well be wrong with that statement though. We will see soon enough.

Reactions: AntGZee
There's a reason Spotswood hasn't lost a valley game in something years. And their schedule has been a heck of a lot tougher then Lee's. Let's look at the common opponents:
Turner Ashby: Lee won 78-36, Spotswood won 61-44
Fort Defiance: Lee won 61-51, Spotswood won 62-29
Amelia County: Lee 77-55, Spotswood 85-46
Sherando: Lee 67-54, Spotswood 66-42

So it looks like Spotswood has the edge there.

Spotswood's schedule is also something to look at. They beat Jonh Handley (and also lost to them) who is 12-1 on the year and #3 on my poll in 4A. They have also played Huguenot, Colonial Forge (both losses by a combined 3 points) and beat East Rock. The hardest team Lee has played this year is either 7-5 Harrisonburg, who isn't ranked, or 8-4 Alleghany. Lee beat these teams by 10 and 11 respectively.

To me, the truth is, Lee has not been tested this year by a team on the same level as Spotswood. And it's not even close. So I'm not saying Spotswood is going to blow them out, but it might show, especially at the beginning of the game, that Lee is in a new world here.

I say Spotswood by 6-10 points.

Good luck to both teams!

Reactions: AntGZee
I may have to retract my game preparation edge to Spotswood-just heard the brilliant central office admins in Rockingham County have cancelled everything-including practices for today! Lee I would think would be able to practice today but who knows with the world we live in today. I know that 40% chance of a 1/2 inch later tonight is incredibly frightening to us all!

I guess the only thing that Spotswood has going preparation wise for tomorrow is that they know Lee. Edwards and Hatcher know each other's systems and Spotswood will be ready I'm sure. The decisions made by the school administrators are terrible to say the least. It used to be that games and activities happened unless it was really bad. I remember as a kid watching a Lee game while the snow was falling outside. Afterwards everyone on a covered parking lot made it out fine. I obviously don't think if there is a winter storm that safety should be risked. These days the word snow shuts everything down. I am pretty sure the coaches are capable of making sure they get the kids home if the weather starts to turn bad. Lets hope a snow shower doesn't ruin a good match up tomorrow. Hopefully we will have a game tomorrow night. I wonder how many games and activities in recent years have been lost for no reason but...a forecast?

There's a reason Spotswood hasn't lost a valley game in something years. And their schedule has been a heck of a lot tougher then Lee's. Let's look at the common opponents:
Turner Ashby: Lee won 78-36, Spotswood won 61-44
Fort Defiance: Lee won 61-51, Spotswood won 62-29
Amelia County: Lee 77-55, Spotswood 85-46
Sherando: Lee 67-54, Spotswood 66-42

So it looks like Spotswood has the edge there.

Spotswood's schedule is also something to look at. They beat Jonh Handley (and also lost to them) who is 12-1 on the year and #3 on my poll in 4A. They have also played Huguenot, Colonial Forge (both losses by a combined 3 points) and beat East Rock. The hardest team Lee has played this year is either 7-5 Harrisonburg, who isn't ranked, or 8-4 Alleghany. Lee beat these teams by 10 and 11 respectively.

To me, the truth is, Lee has not been tested this year by a team on the same

level as Spotswood. And it's not even close. So I'm not saying Spotswood is going to blow them out, but it might show, especially at the beginning of the game, that Lee is in a new world here.

I say Spotswood by 6-10 points.

Good luck to both teams!

I agree that Spotswood has played a very tough schedule and is certainly more tested. The one thing I would point out about Lee's schedule is the win over Alleghany. That is an Alleghany team that knocked off a good Northside squad. Lee and Spotswood will both learn a lot about where they are tomorrow night...and that will hope both moving forward.

Reactions: blackknight_pride
Lee wins going away. Why are we playing the season? Lee has already won the state havent they?

HAHA .. JK

Wood by 10-15 and it wont be that close

I guess everyone is having fun with my prediction but it will happen. This the best group of Lee players I have seen since the streak ended in the state championship game when 'the dawgs' held the ball and Lee didn't adjust.

The Lee vs Martinsville matchup will be an interesting game. I've heard alot about Lee and by the sounds of things they are the real deal.....But MHS will have plenty to say about whether RE Lee is championship ready or not. I wouldn't put any money on the game one way or another....I think it will be a good one. You can surely bet MHS will be ready come post season time and won't be an easy out. There's 6 or 7 teams when firing on all cylinders that could possibly win it all this year. I don't really think there's alot of separation in the Top 6 or 7....Could very well be wrong with that statement though. We will see soon enough.

I don't agree. There's really only 3-4 teams that can win 2A this year. Mavahi, Lee, GC and maybe Dan River or another East team.

I don't agree. There's really only 3-4 teams that can win 2A this year. Mavahi, Lee, GC and maybe Dan River or another East team.

Well having not seen the East teams it's hard for me to say there's only 3-4 teams that can win it all. Seems to be several teams that could make a run at it.

At this point in the season, East Rock is better than Lee. If they can contain George, which they will, ER will win.

HA I said 10-15 and it wont be that close .. sounds like I got it
and you are right remember I said ERHS earlier this year

At this point in the season, East Rock is better than Lee. If they can contain George, which they will, ER will win.
I agree but I am still hopeful Lee can show some improvement between now and the playoffs, because as you said, ER is better right now

Best believe the Martinsville Bulldawgs will give R. E. Lee a test. Martinsville will already be battle tested. Playing Radford twice, Halifax and GW Danville are more tests than some teams face in a year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT