ADVERTISEMENT

State Championship Region B Dinwiddie vs. Region C Kettle Run

Who wins and why?

• Dinwiddie 14-0

Votes: 46 82.1%
  • Kettle Run 14-0

Votes: 10 17.9%

• Total voters
The irony of this game is noteworthy. In 2013, we played Sherando, a NOVA team. The forecast then, as well as this time, is/was for snow. Sherando came a day early so that they wouldn’t have to be as concerned about travel conditions. Though the forecast seems to change about every hour, I think there is a reasonable chance that they will have snow up there on Friday. All we need is for it to be raining and sleeting at Liberty on Saturday, and it will be like old times.

Here we go again under rating Region C. Has the smell of Lake Taylor vs Woodgrove in 2018 all over it.
You with all this underated overated talk. You obviously don't understand that some teams match up better with others. Woodgrove was a solid team those yrs. Lake Taylor was nowhere near as good as they were in 2014. If anything it was a small upset. I personally thought Tuscarora would win the next yr but They lost. I told Tuscaroras coach after the semifinal I thought they should win. Dinwiddie will probably be favored next week but since 2013 the team on the visitors side has won. Overated or not

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
Here we go again under rating Region C. Has the smell of Lake Taylor vs Woodgrove in 2018 all over it.

Kettle Run:

13 point win over 4-7 Heritage-Leesburg
7 point win over 4-6 Liberty-Bealeton
11 point win over 7-4 Handley
31 point win over 11-2 Brentsville
1 point win 12-1 LoCo
16 point win over 12-2 EC Glass

Dinwiddie:

42 point win over 12-2 Heritage-Lynchburg (C3 finalist)
40 point win over 10-2 Thomas Dale
37 point win over 9-3 Hanover
6 point win over 12-1 King George
28 point win over 12-2 Warwick

KR isn't being underrated. They're clearly a quality team and deserve to be in the finals with good wins over LoCo and Glass but it's not difficult to look at Dinwiddie dismantling state finalists and other quality programs as well as having their only close win being over an undefeated team (who'd very likely be facing KR if Dinwiddie had lost the game) and see why people will take Dinwiddie by a large margin.

Look, the reality is every state finals is looking like its going to be a lopsided mess because this year in particular the favorites have stood out essentially from the start (maybe C6 people underestimated Freedom initially idk). Riverheads, Graham, Phoebus, Dinwiddie, Highland Springs, and Freedom are enormous favorites, probably 2 scores minimum, in every game next week because that's just how the season has gone. It has absolutely nothing to do with where the other team is geographically located, that's nonsense.

@wolverinedad2018 pay close attention to who is allegedly under rating Region C teams. It's not Region B or more importantly Dinwiddie fans. Every team who makes it this far is a solid team and I can promise you our coaching staff have already started working on a game plan. Our players and coaches will prepare like they are playing the Dallas Cowboys and will not disrespect Kettle Run period. If you don't believe me ask Sherando posters. Their team earned our respect in 2013 which still last to this day.

Even though posters have begged for people to talk about Region C teams no one ever does. Maybe we just don't know enough about those teams. It's hard to put a team on a pedestal when Region C fans are all crickets.

State finalist have no reason to carry a victims mentality and just for the record everybody knew how good Woodgrove was in 2018. Did most of us think you would beat LT no, but just like Salem, LT was a proven commodity in Class 4. Nice to see new teams crash the party.

Let's talk football. What does Kettle Run bring to the table? Tell us how they intend to prove their metal against another proven commodity in Class 4.

@wolverinedad2018 pay close attention to who is allegedly under rating Region C teams. It's not Region B or more importantly Dinwiddie fans. Every team who makes it this far is a solid team and I can promise you our coaching staff have already started working on a game plan. Our players and coaches will prepare like they are playing the Dallas Cowboys and will not disrespect Kettle Run period. If you don't believe me ask Sherando posters. Their team earned our respect in 2013 which still last to this day.

Even though posters have begged for people to talk about Region C teams no one ever does. Maybe we just don't know enough about those teams. It's hard to put a team on a pedestal when Region C fans are all crickets.

State finalist have no reason to carry a victims mentality and just for the record everybody knew how good Woodgrove was in 2018. Did most of us think you would beat LT no, but just like Salem, LT was a proven commodity in Class 4. Nice to see new teams crash the party.

Let's talk football. What does Kettle Run bring to the table? Tell us how they intend to prove their metal against another proven commodity in Class 4.
That's the thing. He is the only one bringing up being underated and Overated and hadn't posted on the boards since Woodgrove won. I believe we usually say a team is favored to win. We all know the team we think is going to win loses. Happens all the time. Just look at our pick'ems on any given day one team can beat the other. We are talking about 15-18 yr old young men

@wolverinedad2018 Let's talk football. What does Kettle Run bring to the table? Tell us how they intend to prove their metal against another proven commodity in Class 4.

Kettle Run is a team with great Balance and high level of football intelligence. This team is calm and methodical on how they play. They do not make a lot of mistakes.

They can play boring with ground and pound off tackle with RB Colton Quaker. Then when the DBs come up to play the run, QB Chumley can throw a 60 yard over the top for TD to WR Tapscott.

The Offensive line is solid and mobile. Not a huge size but good enough. Pass blocking is probably the best in Northern VA. I think they might play better than most 6A teams in our local area.

The Defense is disciplined and play smart. I don’t think EC Glass crossed Mid field until late in the 2nd quarter. They like to blitz and pressure.

Strength: Coaching staff and scheme to fit the skills of the kids on the field.
QB and WRs can be deadly with the quick strike and big play. They also don’t get rattled with 3rd and Long.

Weakness: not a lot of speed. DBs can in trouble on deep balls.

I remember the realignment banter in 2013. It was Dinwiddie - east against the traditional power Sherando-west. Well the East won the first two years and everybody was saying the west couldn't compete against athletes of the East. Well we all know how Salem dispatched that theory. The reality is rather simple. Since realignment in 2013 many of the finalist have been repeats thus posters don't always jump on the one hit wonders. It's not disrespect it's just the way it is.
Class 4 finalist and winner:

2013: Dinwiddie def. Sherando
2014: Lake Taylor def. Salem
2015: Salem def. Lake Taylor
2016: Salem def. Dinwiddie ugh!
2017: Salem def. Louisa
2018: Woodgrove def. Lake Taylor
2019: Lake Taylor def. Tuscarora
2021 Spring: Salem def. Lake Taylor
2021 Fall: Varina def. Broad Run
2022: Dinwiddie vs. Kettle Run????

Appearances by Region:
A - 5
B - 5 (Louisa was in b in 2017)
C - 5
D - 5

Wins by region:
A - 2
B - 2
C - 1
D - 4

Region record in finals
A - 2-3
B - 2-3
C - 1-4
D - 4-5

Team Appearances:
Salem 5, 4-1
Lake Taylor 5, 2-3
Dinwiddie 3, 1-1
Woodgrove 1, 1-0
Varina 1, 1-0
Sherando 1, 0-1
Broad Run 1, 0-1
Tuscarora 1, 0-1
Louisa 1, 0-1
Kettle Run 0-0

Last edited:
Kettle Run is a team with great Balance and high level of football intelligence. This team is calm and methodical on how they play. They do not make a lot of mistakes.

They can play boring with ground and pound off tackle with RB Colton Quaker. Then when the DBs come up to play the run, QB Chumley can throw a 60 yard over the top for TD to WR Tapscott.

The Offensive line is solid and mobile. Not a huge size but good enough. Pass blocking is probably the best in Northern VA. I think they might play better than most 6A teams in our local area.

The Defense is disciplined and play smart. I don’t think EC Glass crossed Mid field until late in the 2nd quarter. They like to blitz and pressure.

Strength: Coaching staff and scheme to fit the skills of the kids on the field.
QB and WRs can be deadly with the quick strike and big play. They also don’t get rattled with 3rd and Long.

Weakness: not a lot of speed. DBs can in trouble on deep balls.
Thank you sir. Now that's what I'm talking about. Well done.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
Here is a small snap shot of Dinwiddie's offensive statistics. This does not include every player just the top two or three in each category. Our opponents overall totals and averages are also listed.

2022 DINWIDDIE FOOTBALL​
Individual and Team Statistics

Passing:

Quarterback​
Games​
Completions​
Attempts​
Pct.​
Int’s​
Yards​
TD’s​
Avg/g​
Team Dinwiddie​

14​

107​

192​

55.72​

10​

1,816​

25​

129.71​
Harry Dalton​

14​

106​

190​

55.78​

10​

1,789​

25​

127.78​
Opponents​
14​
151​
355​
42.53​
1,621​
12​
115.78​

Rushing:

Player​
Games​
Attempts​
Net Gain​
Per carry​
TD’s​
Avg/g​
Team Dinwiddie​

14​

444​

3,631​

8.18​

66​

279.30​
Harry
Dalton​

14​

180​

1,809​

10.05​

29​

129.21​
Raphael Tucker​

14​

198​

1,357​

6.85​

24​

96.92​
Zalen Wiggins
(Din)​

13​

36​

330​

9.16​

7​

25.38​
Opponents​
14​
334​
1,326​
3.97​
7​
94.71​
Receiving:

Player​
Games​
Catches​
Yards​
Per catch​
TD’s​
Avg/g​
Team Dinwiddie​

14​

107​

1,816​

16.97​

25​

129.71​
Christopher Drumgoole​

14​

29​

625​

21.55​

9​

44.64​
Marquis Smith​

13​

26​

406​

15.61​

7​

31.23​
Zalen Wiggins​

13​

27​

393​

14.55​

3​

30.23​
Opponents​
14​
151​
1,557​
10.31​
12​

You with all this underated overated talk. You obviously don't understand that some teams match up better with others. Woodgrove was a solid team those yrs. Lake Taylor was nowhere near as good as they were in 2014. If anything it was a small upset. I personally thought Tuscarora would win the next yr but They lost. I told Tuscaroras coach after the semifinal I thought they should win. Dinwiddie will probably be favored next week but since 2013 the team on the visitors side has won. Overated or not
It doesn’t suprise me you playing down the 2018 Lake Taylor team . You sung a different tune in 2018 telling Woodgrove fans good luck, they were going to need it . Now it’s a mild upset. You’re all over the place to try and prove my point wrong. That Lake Taylor team was dominant beating Maury, Freedom, Lafayette and Eastern View. They had one bad game all year against Norcom. Here’s some news, it wasn’t an upset, you like most on this forum didn’t know anything about Woodgrove that year, how good the offense was. We only threw the ball if we had to (Tuscarora/Sherando/Lake Taylor games) which wasn’t often. Region C just crushed Region D and now you’ll play down how good Glass was instead of realizing how good Kettle Run is. That’s fine it is what it is.

Kettle Run:

13 point win over 4-7 Heritage-Leesburg
7 point win over 4-6 Liberty-Bealeton
11 point win over 7-4 Handley
31 point win over 11-2 Brentsville
1 point win 12-1 LoCo
16 point win over 12-2 EC Glass

Dinwiddie:

42 point win over 12-2 Heritage-Lynchburg (C3 finalist)
40 point win over 10-2 Thomas Dale
37 point win over 9-3 Hanover
6 point win over 12-1 King George
28 point win over 12-2 Warwick

KR isn't being underrated. They're clearly a quality team and deserve to be in the finals with good wins over LoCo and Glass but it's not difficult to look at Dinwiddie dismantling state finalists and other quality programs as well as having their only close win being over an undefeated team (who'd very likely be facing KR if Dinwiddie had lost the game) and see why people will take Dinwiddie by a large margin.

Look, the reality is every state finals is looking like its going to be a lopsided mess because this year in particular the favorites have stood out essentially from the start (maybe C6 people underestimated Freedom initially idk). Riverheads, Graham, Phoebus, Dinwiddie, Highland Springs, and Freedom are enormous favorites, probably 2 scores minimum, in every game next week because that's just how the season has gone. It has absolutely nothing to do with where the other team is geographically located, that's nonsense.
Dinwiddie does appear to be a juggernaut. Kettle run is not a juggernaut but better than most think. They have some real players and the important tangibles (team chemistry, no fear and a strong will to win) needed to win it all. Hoping for an entertaining game and of course a Kettle Run upset.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Dinwiddie does appear to be a juggernaut. Kettle run is not a juggernaut but better than most think. They have some real players and the important tangibles (team chemistry, no fear and a strong will to win) needed to win it all. Hoping for an entertaining game and of course a Kettle Run upset.
I agree with most of what you said!😉😉😉

Reactions: wolverinedad2018
It doesn’t suprise me you playing down the 2018 Lake Taylor team . You sung a different tune in 2018 telling Woodgrove fans good luck, they were going to need it . Now it’s a mild upset. You’re all over the place to try and prove my point wrong. That Lake Taylor team was dominant beating Maury, Freedom, Lafayette and Eastern View. They had one bad game all year against Norcom. Here’s some news, it wasn’t an upset, you like most on this forum didn’t know anything about Woodgrove that year, how good the offense was. We only threw the ball if we had to (Tuscarora/Sherando/Lake Taylor games) which wasn’t often. Region C just crushed Region D and now you’ll play down how good Glass was instead of realizing how good Kettle Run is. That’s fine it is what it is.
See here you go again. I knew exactly how good Woodgrove was especially after they beat Blacksburg in OT. I had been following Woodgrove since all the changes were made in 2013. I probably did say good luck. I was definitely pulling for Woodgrove to win because of all the West can't beat the East talk that use to be on the forum and I congratulated them after they did. Lake Taylor was good that year but I'm 100 percent correct when I say they were nowhere near as good as the 2014 team that beat LC Byrd (won C5 title) at their place. LT had a slew of players from their 2012 championship team. 2015 Salem beat LT and I can tell you that LT wasn't anywhere near as good as the yr before and they were undefeated. I've enjoyed the banter but you are really making something out of nothing. 4C's biggest problem on here is they have no posters. 4D has a lot of posters and the are going to pick their teams to win. Simple logic. Then you come in years later and bring up underated. No one rates the schools in this forum except when VAPreps does their top 10. I take that back. I think someone puts their top 10 on here sometimes. Good luck to KR next Saturday. In my opinion they are going to need it but you never know.

Everyone knows how good the Tuscarora and Broad Run programs are. Outside of that posters don't know much about the other teams because you have no posters. This is the first yr that one of these two teams didn't win the region as well and most picked one of these teams to win the region or go to State in our preseason picks.

Glass made some huge mental mistakes in the secondary. If you go back and check some post leading up to the game I mentioned how Glass had struggled with this. Gave the Halifax Co game as an example. So no I was not surprised at all when KR hit the two deep passes up the seam. The biggest surprise to me was how fast Glass ditched the run game after the first couple series. To be honest I don't know what to think about Glass. I figured they would do more ground and pound then mix the pass in. Congratulations to KR. They are the best team from 4C and they beat 4D. Now we sit back and see if they can win next week

Last edited:
Reactions: wolverinedad2018
I remember the realignment banter in 2013. It was Dinwiddie - east against the traditional power Sherando-west. Well the East won the first two years and everybody was saying the west couldn't compete against athletes of the East. Well we all know how Salem dispatched that theory. The reality is rather simple. Since realignment in 2013 many of the finalist have been repeats thus posters don't always jump on the one hit wonders. It's not disrespect it's just the way it is.
Class 4 finalist and winner:

2013: Dinwiddie def. Sherando
2014: Lake Taylor def. Salem
2015: Salem def. Lake Taylor
2016: Salem def. Dinwiddie ugh!
2017: Salem def. Louisa
2018: Woodgrove def. Lake Taylor
2019: Lake Taylor def. Tuscarora
2021 Spring: Salem def. Lake Taylor
2021 Fall: Varina def. Broad Run
2022: Dinwiddie vs. Kettle Run????

Appearances by Region:
A - 5
B - 5 (Louisa was in b in 2017)
C - 5
D - 5

Wins by region:
A - 2
B - 2
C - 1
D - 4

Region record in finals
A - 2-3
B - 2-3
C - 1-4
D - 4-5

Team Appearances:
Salem 5, 4-1
Lake Taylor 5, 2-3
Dinwiddie 3, 1-1
Woodgrove 1, 1-0
Varina 1, 1-0
Sherando 1, 0-1
Broad Run 1, 0-1
Tuscarora 1, 0-1
Louisa 1, 0-1
Kettle Run 0-0
Great breakdown!!

Region representative since realignment:

2013 LT, Dinwiddie, Sherando, Salem

2014 LT, Monacan, Liberty, Salem

2015 LT, Courtland, Jefferson Forest, Salem

2016 LT, Dinwiddie, Dominion, Salem

2017 Lafayette, Louisa, Sherando, Salem

2018 LT, Eastern View, Woodgrove, Blacksburg

2019 LT, Patrick Henry, Tuscarora, Salem

2020 LT, King George, Tuscarora, Salem

2021 King's Fork, Varina, Broad Run, Salem

---‐------------------------------------------------------------------

2022 Warwick, Dinwiddie, Kettle Run, EC Glass

# of different representatives

A- 4 (LT representative 7x)
B- 8 (Dinwiddie representative 3x, incl this yr)
C- 7 (Sher, Tusc. 2x, didn't have a rep in 2015)
D- 3 (Salem representative 8x)

# of State championships

A- 2
B- 2
C- 1
D- 4

I don't think it's over/under rated, it's who the posters are familiar with seeing in the Semifinals and Finals, & Who's winning the championships.

You have to take into account that Reg C has the most change in enrollments yr to yr, therefore teams don't stay in C4 for very long. New schools have come in that most people are unfamiliar with.

Less posters from Reg C and high turnover each cycle, will mean Reg C is always "underrated." A more accurate description would be Reg C is under-represented on this board.

Good luck to Kettle Run. They had very good fan support, and the team looked very balanced. They also played solid defense, that made Glass get away from the game plan that was successful the previous week.

Dinwiddie plays solid defense and they can be very balanced. They like to run, move the chains, and limit opponent's possessions. They can also throw it and do well in a shootout. Should be a good matchup.

Reactions: 1Gensfan
For next year, I think I saw where Woodgrove and John Champe will be back in C4. It should make Reg C tougher.

Yeah, it very interesting how the Dulles and Northwestern District Schools enrollments oddly drop when alignment is being reviewed then suddenly shoot up once alignment is approved. Spend two-three years up them come down. Like a revolving door. There is no need to argue this point. Just look at the enrollment numbers at the beginning of next year. They will be well over the cap for class 4. It's just bs. There should be rule that would disqualify a team from playoff eligibility if their enrollments exceed the cap within the same year of realignment. This would stop this crap. Schools want the numbers for funding, but want to play down. Single school counties/cities like Salem, King George, Dinwiddie and Louisa's numbers rarely fluctuate. I guess if you can't beat us??????

# of State championships

A- 2
B- 2
C- 1
D- 4

I don't think it's over/under rated, it's who the posters are familiar with seeing in the Semifinals and Finals, & Who's winning the championships.

You have to take into account that Reg C has the most change in enrollments yr to yr, therefore teams don't stay in C4 for very long. New schools have come in that most people are unfamiliar with.

Less posters from Reg C and high turnover each cycle, will mean Reg C is always "underrated." A more accurate description would be Reg C is under-represented on this board.
💯

# of State championships

A- 2
B- 2
C- 1
D- 4

Since realignment either Dinwiddie LT or Salem has been in the State Semis every year. Also Region 4B (8) with the most parity amongst the Regions

I’d argue Region 4B against any other Region in the State. Since 2016 4B has been impossible to pick & next year it might be as loaded as it’s ever been

Reactions: 1Gensfan and SFUWO
Yeah, it very interesting how the Dulles and Northwestern District Schools enrollments oddly drop when alignment is being reviewed then suddenly shoot up once alignment is approved. Spend two-three years up them come down. Like a revolving door. There is no need to argue this point. Just look at the enrollment numbers at the beginning of next year. They will be well over the cap for class 4. It's just bs. There should be rule that would disqualify a team from playoff eligibility if their enrollments exceed the cap within the same year of realignment. This would stop this crap. Schools want the numbers for funding, but want to play down. Single school counties/cities like Salem, King George, Dinwiddie and Louisa's numbers rarely fluctuate. I guess if you can't beat us??????
Some of the enrollment volitility is due to new schools opening. (Especially LoCo)

I think the best way to handle it would be to see if there is a pattern of it happening.

Sometimes its as simple as lines being redrawn, which wouldn't effect schools like Dinwiddie, Salem, etc. like you mentioned.

If there is a pattern (schools that always seem to be just under), then yes something needs to be done.

A lot of these things can be looked at as small for football but are certainly magnified with other sports and other activities.

Even if being close is legitimate, there needs to be a spotlight and such on a school if it continues every cycle.

Sherando and others have played the system for a few cycles and until the vhsl gets a hold on it more schools will do the same.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
I was not pointing my finger at Sherando. I reviewed their appeal and it appeared very legitimate. Heck in RVA we have teams wanting to play up and these NOVA schools always want to play down. I get the redistricting thing, but pay close to the teams numbers who have moved down. Most of the will be borderline or over the max. Trust me I have been watching this trend for years.

Nova runs Virginia government and usually get what they want regarding VHSL rules because they have the most votes. A perfect example is their fear of cross bracketing. They can travel all over God's creation next year in the region, but will not cross bracket. Pure BS!

Loudoun schools can have wide fluctuations in numbers due to prodigious growth and opening of multiple new schools on a regular basis with the usual boundary changes. They open a new school with 900 in grades 9-11 and in two years it will have 1900 plus. It doesn’t help that there is literally 18 months difference between the 31 March 2021 ADM numbers used for reclassification and the 1 September 2023 date it takes effect. Age old approach, nothing new there. In their case, I don’t think they are doing anything underhanded. I think the Loudoun situation has been unique in Virginia. This is not to say that others don’t do it.

I didn't notice that. IDK how many Srs are on this year's team, but they would be a very good C3 team for next year if they don’t lose too many.
They have a very young team with a small senior class. The seniors that play for them are big impact kids like Tapscott, Chumley, and Mehaffey but they return around 15 starters and had a strong JV team that I think went undefeated.

That's the thing. He is the only one bringing up being underated and Overated and hadn't posted on the boards since Woodgrove won. I believe we usually say a team is favored to win. We all know the team we think is going to win loses. Happens all the time. Just look at our pick'ems on any given day one team can beat the other. We are talking about 15-18 yr old young men
In 2007 Amherst and Sherando were both undefeated in that State game. Amherst won 56-10 not even close. Interesting to see how these two undefeated teams will turn out

Reactions: 1Gensfan
Glass made some huge mental mistakes in the secondary. If you go back and check some post leading up to the game I mentioned how Glass had struggled with this. Gave the Halifax Co game as an example. So no I was not surprised at all when KR hit the two deep passes up the seam. The biggest surprise to me was how fast Glass ditched the run game after the first couple series. To be honest I don't know what to think about Glass. I figured they would do more ground and pound then mix the pass in. Congratulations to KR. They are the best team from 4C and they beat 4D. Now we sit back and see if they can win next week
Is there somewhere I can view the Kettle Run vs Glass game? I couldn’t watch it live.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT