ADVERTISEMENT

State Championship, Riverheads vs Radford. Who you got?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Riverheads is not as much trying to deceive you. It is organized mass caos at the point of attack. Plain and simple and it just works. By the time you defeat the blocks and get through all the bodies it’s 3 to 4 yards down the field at least. until someone is physical enough to distrupt the caos it wears you down.
Poq and Central did not look very physical up front from the start. Is this the same view others have? Or is the consensus Riverheads was too much up front?

Giles is different obviously, but similar in ways. Radford players have grown up scouting Giles
The one distinct difference I would suggest is more of an issue than it might seem, Giles QB is in the backfield. Which is the way modern football is played so kids today are accustomed to it. Riverheads is unique in this very basic way. Their QB is under center. It takes a bit to adjust the eye level and get used to as a defender. It's not something kids today see hardly ever.

They also run counter, my opinion man isn't the way to go but I'm also sitting on the couch.

• Haha
Reactions: Optimal62
Central played bully ball all year, one loss

At first glance, sure. Digging Deeper, there were a lot of not great teams on their schedule.

I thought Central looked the part in person last year against Graham pre game, then the game started.

All I am saying, I do not think they responded well in the riverheads game. A lot of slow moving pieces as the game went on. Give riverheads credit, though.

So now Central wasn’t physical when 3 weeks ago they had the best defensive player in 2A and were sledgehammers that would wreck every body that was in Reg A and B. And Poquoson was a team that hung with Lafayette and played a tough schedule with scrappy players that play downhill and fly to the ball. Now they were not physical teams at all. So I am not sure exactly where this is headed but Riverheads isn’t very big outside of two or three players. They aren’t very fast either. So if Radford is more physical in addition to having the speed advantage, it will be a blowout. I suppose we will all find out by around 1:30ish.

So now Central wasn’t physical when 3 weeks ago they had the best defensive player in 2A and were sledgehammers that would wreck every body that was in Reg A and B. And Poquoson was a team that hung with Lafayette and played a tough schedule with scrappy players that play downhill and fly to the ball. Now they were not physical teams at all. So I am not sure exactly where this is headed but Riverheads isn’t very big outside of two or three players. They aren’t very fast either. So if Radford is more physical in addition to having the speed advantage, it will be a blowout. I suppose we will all find out by around 1:30ish.
Chill....

For people who only watch the tape that is what it came across as. So you should either be very happy that Riverheads made great defenses look stupid or the defenses weren't that great.

From what I can tell the picks on the 1a and 2a sites are 80% Riverheads to win lol. Radford is the underdog in the overall public perception.

I guess when you have won so many state titles you have to find something to get worked up about.

Not worked up just surprised and questioning how opinions change on what constitutes a quality team. Film says that Radford should be favored as do several posters on here. I would agree based on what I have seen. I think it will be a test for both teams since the styles contrast what they play regularly.

Not worked up just surprised and questioning how opinions change on what constitutes a quality team. Film says that Radford should be favored as do several posters on here. I would agree based on what I have seen. I think it will be a test for both teams since the styles contrast what they play regularly.

Just a question from someone unfamiliar with teams on that side of the state. I watched central and poq play once this year. On NFHS against Riverheads.

I think most people assume Riverheads will win given their pedigree. Hard to bet against a team who has done it over and over again. They have an identity. Radford feels different than years past. Time will tell in less than 24 hours.

Fair enough, Central is/was one of the more physical teams I watched this year. Great size and enough speed to be effective. Riverheads was just on that game and imposed their will from the get go. Poquoson was smaller at spots but played better defense than the score reflected. The QB getting hurt probably swung their heads a little lower but I didn’t see them as overly soft.

Not sure if that is what you were looking for but I feel like neither team are completely represented on film and as they say matchups make fights.

Reactions: M11H16D18H
Fair enough, Central is/was one of the more physical teams I watched this year. Great size and enough speed to be effective. Riverheads was just on that game and imposed their will from the get go. Poquoson was smaller at spots but played better defense than the score reflected. The QB getting hurt probably swung their heads a little lower but I didn’t see them as overly soft.

Not sure if that is what you were looking for but I feel like neither team are completely represented on film and as they say matchups make fights.
What’s the closest comparison Riverheads has played that would appear somewhat similar to Radford?

Comparing Radford to EM is hilarious! Riverheads is favored but this is a different animal. They may still win, but just not a rideable animal.

comedy falling GIF by mtv
This Radford team would run that em team off the field. Christian, Wooten, Shelor, etc were ballers...this is a different animal though.

Reactions: MarlburlMan
Any score updates
32-21 Radford start of the 4th.

4 TDs for Landen Clark
3 TDs for CCC.

Big hit put on #9 from RH with 30 seconds before halftime causing a fumble. RH was trailing 19-14.
Clark throws a TD 60 yards in the air on the very next play to make it 25-14 at half.

Reactions: Optimal62
That stop on 4th basically sealed the game for Radford. Riverheads doesn’t have anyone to stop the Bobcat passing attack. Clark has three incompletions.

Reactions: obguthr
When Radford got the two score lead, Riverheads had zero answers. Couldn’t contain Clark and couldn’t get defense off field.
Radford D caught them off guard I think. They thought they could just run all day on them but nope, the Cats are excellent against the run (and the pass. Best secondary in 2A).

How about them Cats. Congrats to Riverheads on a great season.

Real talk...Region Aand B must have been down this year making RH look dominate. I highly doubt RH could beat Glenvar Union, Graham, appomattox, etc. Matter of fact, not a chance
Riverheads will not win in D2 as long as they run that old time offense and stay one dimensional.

Bobcats!!

Radford was down 7-0 after they fumbled the opening kickoff and gave RH the ball at Radfords own 35. After a few possessions Radford was able to slow down RH offense, then in the second half they pretty much shut them down after the opening drive. RH had zero answer for Radford QB or Radfords offense. It was very apparent RH hasn’t seen a team anywhere near as talented as Radford. It will be interesting to see how they fare without CCC as long as they remain in 2A. They had an incredible run and hats off to them

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT