ADVERTISEMENT

State Championship: Tuscarora vs Lake Taylor

Yes I know they battle every year, but no one was scream Tusky like they are now. Also once again Stone Bridge is in the state finals. They don't get the credit they deserve also in Class 5.
Maxpreps has Tusky ranked #4 in the state of VA. That's not an accident. After beating BR 30-7 opened some peoples eyes

Maxpreps has Tusky ranked #4 in the state of VA. That's not an accident. After beating BR 30-7 opened some peoples eyes

MaxPreps? Ehh

I'm not saying Tusky isn't good. I know they are, but I just can't remember anyone saying they were so good they would steam roll through the playoffs without any issues. There are some posts saying they will have no issues at all in the state finals? Basically I'm saying we have some band wagoners around here lol.

MaxPreps rankings probably close, but worth some debates: https://www.maxpreps.com/rankings/football/1/state/virginia.htm

MaxPreps? Ehh

I'm not saying Tusky isn't good. I know they are, but I just can't remember anyone saying they were so good they would steam roll through the playoffs without any issues. There are some posts saying they will have no issues at all in the state finals? Basically I'm saying we have some band wagoners around here lol.

MaxPreps rankings probably close, but worth some debates: https://www.maxpreps.com/rankings/football/1/state/virginia.htm
Why would anyone expect them to steamroll an undefeated team that beat them earlier in the season? The fact that they handled their last three opponents on the road in the manner they did is a big reason why people think that might continue on Saturday. I'm not sure what point you are trying to make...

Reactions: SFUWO and aw19752
MaxPreps? Ehh

There might be a little jumping on the wagon lol, but probably more that people are now seeing and appreciating teams from around state. I did find it funny that one of the HS faithful now predicts Stone Bridge will beat Maury after most of them talked about the division 5 representative from the south essentially being the champ. Of course that was while HS and Varina were still alive.

Why would anyone expect them to steamroll an undefeated team that beat them earlier in the season? The fact that they handled their last three opponents on the road in the manner they did is a big reason why people think that might continue on Saturday. I'm not sure what point you are trying to make...
I'm just saying go back and read all of the posts in this thread. The proof is there with people saying this will not be close on Saturday. Not fake news going off of what I'm seeing. Even with all of that I think Tusky have a good chance to win. They have really peaked during the playoffs. I'm not against Tusky I was just stating that I believe some people are on the band wagon when this team was good all year. And yes I've seen earlier posts from "SFUWO" and "Shabutie" stating that Tusky was one of the favorites so I'm not talking about you all :)

Reactions: SFUWO
MaxPreps? Ehh

Massey ratings has it 40-21 Tuscarora
In my opinion it's a matchup of styles. LT's style of defense will have issues vs Tusky offense. You have a big line that blocks good with a good passing game. Tusky likes to throw early and then hit you with the run. NotNot mention Tusky's defense is very good as well. Great speed and swarm to the ball.

Reactions: aw19752
MaxPreps? Ehh

Yeah maxpreps is definitely debatable .I use to use VHSL reference but it has not been updated since week 7

MaxPreps? Ehh

What bandwagon? There's 2 teams left, 1 has to win and people are picking the team they think is better.

LT got absolutely demolished by the 2 best teams they played and have 5 wins by a score or less (including 2 in the POs). Tuscarora suffered one loss by two points against the consensus #1 in 4A, which they later avenged in dominating fashion just weeks ago. People are looking at how both teams have done in the POs and making the call as they see fit, quit acting like Tuscarora was some unknown, they simply shared the same region with Broad Run.

Last edited:
Lake Taylor isn’t here for no reason and what Coach Sawyer continues to do down there is special. Newton is a MAN and so it Wright. Hard ass kids who can play ball. Tuscarora might be from a different area code but they are just as hard and are just as talented. When talking about teenagers you might as well bounce a football and take bets on which way it bounces. Which ever team takes care of the football will win and nothing but love to both programs. What has happened at Tuscarora is not new. They have been open for 10 years, have 98 victories, and this will be the 3RD state final appearance. Tusky being on the radar is not new and that will continue to be the norm. Been a great ride so far and all that’s left to do is FINISH. Good luck to the Huskies and Titans!

What bandwagon? There's 2 teams left, 1 has to win and people are picking the team they think is better.

LT got absolutely demolished by the 2 best teams they played and have 5 wins by a score or less (including 2 in the POs). Tuscarora suffered one loss by two points against the consensus #1 in 4A, which they later avenged in dominating fashion just weeks ago. People are looking at how both teams have done in the POs and making the call as they see fit, quit acting like Tuscarora was some unknown, they simply shared the same region with Broad Run.
Unknown? That's my point. They are a known program so why so much buzz now and not sooner? I felt before they played Broad Run the second time they were a better team because of the route they took to get to the region final.

I don't think LT's style of defense will work on Tusky. I had BR and Tusky as my preseason favorites. I'm going to stick with it and say Tuscarora wins this one.
Style worked out fine. But after watching game I do understand your concerns with LTs defense.

Reactions: SFUWO
Sounds like Stone Bridge Lake Taylor 2012 all over again. Was told not to show up to UVA Stone Bridge had Jonathan Allen and Burns who was going to Stanford. Stone Bridge has the experience..etc, etc... LT will come out and play hard and one thing they have that Tusky doesn't have is a chip on their shoulder after how last year ended. On paper Tusky has more depth and the better resume, but games aren't played on paper. I expect a closer game than you all are expecting.
You called it just like 2012. Same pre-game hype and same result for LT. Once again this is why you play the game.

Lake Taylor's experience returning from the State Final last year was a huge factor. LT played loose and confident all game. Tuscarora was a very solid team but seemed really tight under the big lights. After LT punched them in the mouth with the first 2 scores Tusky didn't respond well. Gick is a very good quarterback. He just never seemed to get settled in with a couple of open receiver overthrows. Foster and company on the other hand were on a mission. Well done Lake Taylor.

Reactions: 757FridayNiteZ
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT