ADVERTISEMENT

State Finals: Lake Taylor vs Woodgrove

Who wins?

• Woodgrove

Votes: 30 39.5%
  • Lake Taylor

Votes: 46 60.5%

• Total voters
Jeff Foster is a good qb that has led the titans to comebacks against Phoebus and Eastern View. Two quality teams. Foster is not a weak link at all and I don't understand the logic behind that statement.
Ok...wrong choice of words then. How about lesser of many evils? #3 is a man playing with boys. You pretty much have to stack the box to stop/limit the run. WR’s can take a 5 yd slant and go for 6 in a blink. Your best shot IMO is to try and make them throw deep, meaning 20yds or more, and that’s if you have DB’s who can hang. If you allow the 5yd slant you better tackle immediately or you’re in trouble. #3 is a sophomore? Wow. Can’t imagine kids having to tackle that for 2 more years.

I'm with Tom on this one... Penalties have to be limited! I think Woodgrove was flagged something like 10 times in the semi-final game and that can't happen on Saturday. LT is not a team you want to give away field position to or get behind the sticks on because that would spell disaster. I have only seen a limited amount of film on LT, but I've seen enough to know they certainly have the ability to go on long drives and chew up the clock. As with any game, preventing the big play will also be a key for both teams. I honestly think LT has a few more weapons and can strike quickly or perhaps much easier than Woodgrove. That is not to say that Woodgrove can't hurt you, they can, but just not a quickly as LT. I hadn't thought about it much before, but this game could come down to special teams. I don't know about LT's kicking game, but Woodgrove is not a particularly good punting team. Look out if LT gets a clean catch!

Ok...It's one of these things where in your eyes its all bad, but down here its nothing. I'm sure you would never understand it. That's commonplace in this part of the state, but you don't know that. No one is sitting quiet around here counting stretches off. There's a gamemanship quality and certain swagger that teams down here have. Everything from the warmups to the entrance is for a reason. If they were 0-10 I doubt any of this happens, but they are there every year. Been all over the state and you don't have to like what you see or hear, but its happening.

Now with all this being said...I'm finished with this topic and want to focus on the real reason for the thread. Two quality teams battling for a state title.
See I disagree with taunting pre- game is common place . Of Course you are done with the topic.

I'm with Tom on this one... Penalties have to be limited! I think Woodgrove was flagged something like 10 times in the semi-final game and that can't happen on Saturday. LT is not a team you want to give away field position to or get behind the sticks on because that would spell disaster. I have only seen a limited amount of film on LT, but I've seen enough to know they certainly have the ability to go on long drives and chew up the clock. As with any game, preventing the big play will also be a key for both teams. I honestly think LT has a few more weapons and can strike quickly or perhaps much easier than Woodgrove. That is not to say that Woodgrove can't hurt you, they can, but just not a quickly as LT. I hadn't thought about it much before, but this game could come down to special teams. I don't know about LT's kicking game, but Woodgrove is not a particularly good punting team. Look out if LT gets a clean catch!
LT doesn’t have much of a kicking game. Almost every punt to EV gave them excellent field position

See I disagree with taunting pre- game is common place . Of Course you are done with the topic.

I don't know if "taunting" is commonplace, but loud pre-games antics are common in this area.

Heck, just this year, we've had one school try to scratch out our midfield logo with their cleats during pregame and a second plant their flag on the middle of our field coming out of warmups.

Nothing Lake Taylor does raises an eyebrow down here

LT doesn’t have much of a kicking game. Almost every punt to EV gave them excellent field position

I don't know how bad that can or will hurt LT, but Woodgrove doesn't have a great punt team either. It's efficient, just not a "field flipper" and giving another team, like LT a chance on special teams can be a rabbit hole no one wants to go down, especially in the finals.

Reactions: OCBoy
I don't know how bad that can or will hurt LT, but Woodgrove doesn't have a great punt team either. It's efficient, just not a "field flipper" and giving another team, like LT a chance on special teams can be a rabbit hole no one wants to go down, especially in the finals.
Best thing to do is punt it out of bounds.

I don't know if "taunting" is commonplace, but loud pre-games antics are common in this area.

Heck, just this year, we've had one school try to scratch out our midfield logo with their cleats during pregame and a second plant their flag on the middle of our field coming out of warmups.

Maybe it should.

Reactions: FoxesPride
Yeah. I guess the notion that someone needs to be the adult doesn’t apply. Kids will do whatever you let them get away with.
What they did seemed arrogant IMO. Some of the coaches even joined in on some of it. I also believe they thought they would have an easy win. In the 757 this is what teams do every Friday night. Lake Taylor isn’t the only team to taunt in pregame warmups.

How many guys go both ways for LT?

Woodgrove excels at wearing teams with limited starters out!

Wow, it's Rod! I haven't seen you post for at least a couple of years. Welcome back.

Wow, it's Rod! I haven't seen you post for at least a couple of years. Welcome back.
Just because it happens , doesn’t mean it is right thing to do. And any coach or team administrators that allows this to happen is second or third class in my book ! What ever happened to integrity and respect for your opponent ? Prove it on the field ! Talk and intimidation is nothing and classless.

Taunting before the game during warmups should be flagged. It's a recipe for disaster. Coaches should not allow it. Saying everyone does it around here says more about poor adult supervision than anything else.
Seems pretty simple.

Man its football. I've been out of school 13 years now. It's nothing new. In playoff games against William Fleming it was the same way. In my opinion it gets both teams hype. If you aren't throwing up the middle finger, grabbing your crotch or mooning anyone who cares! Play ball. All that hooping and hollering that Fleming did we still won. If your team lost because of the "unsportsmanlike antics" of the other team that's on the coaches and the players for not being prepared. Great teams aren't distracted by chaos. Homecoming and senior night are prime examples.

How many guys go both ways for LT?

Woodgrove excels at wearing teams with limited starters out!

I would say that at least 5 or 6 guys rotate both ways. It may be different depending on what they are doing defensively as in coverage and down and distance. I think they may rotate guys up front for conditioning sake. Regardless, their defense is predicated on matching receivers and getting pressure. Woodgrove's QB will be pressured for sure if he hangs onto the ball, but generally he's quick to get rid of it to his tall receivers. Not sure how to view LT's secondary. Athletic is certainly one advantage, so they can match speed, I haven't seen enough film to know their true cover skills.

What they did seemed arrogant IMO. Some of the coaches even joined in on some of it. I also believe they thought they would have an easy win. In the 757 this is what teams do every Friday night. Lake Taylor isn’t the only team to taunt in pregame warmups.
I agree it is arrogant and I also realize that it is something that happens. I will add that just because it is commonplace with certain teams still does not make that sort of behavior Ok. It is disrespectful and inflammatory.

Man its football. I've been out of school 13 years now. It's nothing new. In playoff games against William Fleming it was the same way. In my opinion it gets both teams hype. If you aren't throwing up the middle finger, grabbing your crotch or mooning anyone who cares! Play ball. All that hooping and hollering that Fleming did we still won. If your team lost because of the "unsportsmanlike antics" of the other team that's on the coaches and the players for not being prepared. Great teams aren't distracted by chaos. Homecoming and senior night are prime examples.
Taking smack during the game and "hooping and hollering" before the game is fine. Standing at mid-field and dropping n-word/f-bombs while your coaches are looking on isn't "hype", and it isn't intimidating. It makes you look like an idiot.

Taking smack during the game and "hooping and hollering" before the game is fine. Standing at mid-field and dropping n-word/f-bombs while your coaches are looking on isn't "hype", and it isn't intimidating. It makes you look like an idiot.
Yeah 100% agree. I love a little smack talk and stare down but what your describing is too much.

Exactly, play ball. The inappropriate actions before the game is not playing ball. It's dangerous. Fights can break. Stop running your mouth and show me what you got between the lines during the game. The rest is BS and should be flagged.

Depends on where you are at like Devils said. I lived in the 757 and it is commonplace to see players of opposing teams sharing words pre-game. Most officiating crews out there monitor to make sure things don't escalate but it's apart of the culture out there. If you aren't used to it, it can bother you. I'm sure LT loves doing it to out of area teams, because it can mess with them mentally. Just another edge they may be able to gain. Fleming used to do a lot of pregame talking, Gretna in their hayday had a lot of pre game talkers.

I personally have no issue with the pre-game jawing between players because they have to respond with their play soon after. The talking is irrelevant once the ball is kicked off. If LT had been doing this stuff after the game, then it would be a valid issue. They clearly had respect for EV following the game.

I agree it is arrogant and I also realize that it is something that happens. I will add that just because it is commonplace with certain teams still does not make that sort of behavior Ok. It is disrespectful and inflammatory.

We don't teach our kids to jaw before or during games but I don't find it to be disrespectful or inflammatory as long as it's talk confined to the game; "I'm better than you, I'm going to shut you down, You cant block me, you can't tackle me, your going to get comfy on the ground tonight etc etc." Sometimes with more color/cursing than I've given you there. It's a ploy to gain a mental advantage. Fans/Student sections do the same thing in football/basketball at the HS level. Often on a more personal level than between opposing players and you don't hear people complaining about them.

So none of you guys talk trash before you and your buddies tee it up at the country club? Or before you start your corn hole games? I'm just trying to make sure the pot isn't calling the kettle black here. I guess those contest are usually between friends so maybe it's not the same. It's a cultural thing IMO. In some cultures it is popular and in other's its unacceptable. To each their own.

We don't teach our kids to jaw before or during games but I don't find it to be disrespectful or inflammatory as long as it's talk confined to the game; "I'm better than you, I'm going to shut you down, You cant block me, you can't tackle me, your going to get comfy on the ground tonight etc etc." Sometimes with more color/cursing than I've given you there. It's a ploy to gain a mental advantage. Fans/Student sections do the same thing in football/basketball at the HS level. Often on a more personal level than between opposing players and you don't hear people complaining about them.

So none of you guys talk trash before you and your buddies tee it up at the country club? Or before you start your corn hole games? I'm just trying to make sure the pot isn't calling the kettle black here. I guess those contest are usually between friends so maybe it's not the same. It's a cultural thing IMO. In some cultures it is popular and in other's its unacceptable. To each their own.
The phrases you use above are nothing. That's your basic smack. Something like that would never have been mentioned.

Just bec

Just because it happens doesn’t make it right , and how does that teach class and integrity to our young athletes ? I believe in getting your team pumped up and ready to play . however , in my opinion it is not acceptable for one team or Both to stand at the 50 yard line pointing out and calling players out . That is taunting to me . At the high school level , I don’t agree with that. And after a team spent money to have there logo painted on the of the center of the field , the other team should be sent the bill! Wtvr happened to showing class? Respecting your opponent and letting your play on the field do the talking ?

Depends on where you are at like Devils said. I lived in the 757 and it is commonplace to see players of opposing teams sharing words pre-game. Most officiating crews out there monitor to make sure things don't escalate but it's apart of the culture out there. If you aren't used to it, it can bother you. I'm sure LT loves doing it to out of area teams, because it can mess with them mentally. Just another edge they may be able to gain. Fleming used to do a lot of pregame talking, Gretna in their hayday had a lot of pre game talkers.

I personally have no issue with the pre-game jawing between players because they have to respond with their play soon after. The talking is irrelevant once the ball is kicked off. If LT had been doing this stuff after the game, then it would be a valid issue. They clearly had respect for EV following the game.
It was all respect at the end of the game because they knew EV almost stole that game

And word to Lake Taylor the vhsl will be watching very closely come Saturday

And word to Lake Taylor the vhsl will be watching very closely come Saturday
Lake Taylor has played in 3 previous state title games and did the same thing before the game. No complaints...VHSL will be watching closely because someone tipped them off. Tom Dolan has stood on the 50 yard line the previous 3 times and I doubt he won't be there this week either. Again this whole thing has taken away from the game that has been played Saturday to try and tarnish the LT program. Now all of a sudden they are a bunch of goons and classless.

Lake Taylor has played in 3 previous state title games and did the same thing before the game. No complaints...VHSL will be watching closely because someone tipped them off. Tom Dolan has stood on the 50 yard line the previous 3 times and I doubt he won't be there this week either. Again this whole thing has taken away from the game that has been played Saturday to try and tarnish the LT program. Now all of a sudden they are a bunch of goons and classless.
Wasn’t even Eastern View who tipped them off. But come on man the cursing and name calling of EV coaches and players was uncalled for

Wasn’t even Eastern View who tipped them off. But come on man the cursing and name calling of EV coaches and players was uncalled for
Why are we still talking about this? What does this have to do with the game? If you want to complain about the Eastern View game take it to that thread. I'm trying to get some talk about the finals going.

Reactions: Rev_Real
Why are we still talking about this? What does this have to do with the game? If you want to complain about the Eastern View game take it to that thread. I'm trying to get some talk about the finals going.
I have nothing else to say about the EV game. They had their chances and didn’t take advantage of them therefor they lost. As far as getting anyone to speak on Woodgrove, good luck with that because your not going to get anyone to talk from Woodgrove on what to expect game time. I’ve posted about the game but they only have one poster on this board that I’m aware of.
I think many would stop responding if it didn’t sound like your defending their actions. I’m fine with getting hype and the 757 mindset in these games but the cursing and name calling at the coaches and players is uncalled for. Devils you know that’s unsportsmanlike and it’s unnecessary.

I have nothing else to say about the EV game. They had their chances and didn’t take advantage of them therefor they lost. As far as getting anyone to speak on Woodgrove, good luck with that because your not going to get anyone to talk from Woodgrove on what to expect game time. I’ve posted about the game but they only have one poster on this board that I’m aware of.
I think many would stop responding if it didn’t sound like your defending their actions. I’m fine with getting hype and the 757 mindset in these games but the cursing and name calling at the coaches and players is uncalled for. Devils you know that’s unsportsmanlike and it’s unnecessary.
CD Hylton
Battlefield
GW Danville
North Stafford
Stone Bridge
Hanover
Dinwiddie
Monacan
Salem
Courtland
Monticello
LC Bird
Amherst
Northeastern (NC)
Freedom (Woodbridge)

All teams that LT have played outside the 757 and Eastern View is the first one to say something. Again if you feel so strongly about what was said as I wasn’t on the field and heard anything by all means report it to the proper people.

Reactions: MrSir#5
Who really cares whether or not class or classless was considered?? What are you or anyone else on this forum going to do about it? Go tell the VHSL: 'Mr. official you need to watch for those foul mouthed young men from LT, they are being mean to the other boys." Ok, that sounds about right... NOT! If all the other coaches heard it and did nothing, then that's on them, and they should just play the game and deal with the results. If LT has a reputation, their coaches condone it and it's expected, let them keep talking... What the hell? Are they invincible because of what they do or say? Let's be serious here fellas, as soon as they start changing the scoreboard by adding points before the game, for all the horses*^#t that can be said, then teams should start worrying about it!! So until then, we sound like old hens in a "he said, he said" argument.

All it's going to take is one fight to break out before the game and then people will take action. But it shouldn't take that. Everyone knows that allowing this to go on is courting disaster.
Show class before the game, during the game, and after the game. Adults should be teaching this thru words and their actions. Adults that justify this by saying " this is the way we do it down here" shouldn't be in positions of leadership in their school or community.

All it's going to take is one fight to break out before the game and then people will take action. But it shouldn't take that. Everyone knows that allowing this to go on is courting disaster.
Show class before the game, during the game, and after the game. Adults should be teaching this thru words and their actions. Adults that justify this by saying " this is the way we do it down here" shouldn't be in positions of leadership in their school or community.

Not a single fight has broken out. Again call it whatever you want maybe you should see some of these Pop Warner teams especially in Florida. The days of being quiet and doing calisthenics in pregame are long gone in some parts of the state and country. Just sending word out to you all that have yet to see it.

Let’s not paint the 757 with broad brush. It’s not a 757 thing - it’s a LT thing. Norcom doesn’t do it, Churchalnd doesn’t do it, nobody we’ve ever played in the 757 has ever done it like that. Agree, they come across poorly and dudes that can really play - don’t act like that. Watch 3, he won’t say a word.

Interestingly enough, It seemed to fire up the Lafayette players rather than have the LT desired intimidation effect. We ran the ball down their throats 1st Drive of the game and the half. That was right after LT players ran their mouths.

If we could have only fixed the other parts....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT