ADVERTISEMENT

State Finals: Lake Taylor vs Woodgrove

Who wins?

• Woodgrove

Votes: 30 39.5%
  • Lake Taylor

Votes: 46 60.5%

• Total voters
Let’s not paint the 757 with broad brush. It’s not a 757 thing - it’s a LT thing. Norcom doesn’t do it, Churchalnd doesn’t do it, nobody we’ve ever played in the 757 has ever done it like that. Agree, they come across poorly and dudes that can really play - don’t act like that. Watch 3, he won’t say a word.

Interestingly enough, It seemed to fire up the Lafayette players rather than have the LT desired intimidation effect. We ran the ball down their throats 1st Drive of the game and the half. That was right after LT players ran their mouths.

If we could have only fixed the other parts....
Maybe not a Bay Rivers District thing. You know a lot of people don’t consider y’all the 757? And let’s not act like Lafayette can’t get chirpy coaches included. Watched the coach in the white jacket being very vocal and jesturing towards the sidelines and everything. But it’s all in fun. Lol... Churchland can’t do it because we can’t. No one would take us serious right now. We were coming off back to back 1-9 seasons.

Maybe it fired Lafayette up but some timely PI calls helped with that drive as well.

Last edited:
No team in the Bay Rivers baits like LT. Just not accepted around here. I could care less if up the Peninsula here we are considered “757” or not. Wish we were not so we didn’t have that extra sales tax for 757 transportation. I always looked to Richmond not VB for my news anyway. As far as the PI calls, that many called just meant LT can’t cover. EV again proved that. Maybe Woodgrove can do it also and pull out the win. I will agree it’s a shame a few days before the finals all the talk is on LTs behavior rather than the strategy of the game itself but it’s all self inflicted.

Just because it happens , doesn’t mean it is right thing to do. And any coach or team administrators that allows this to happen is second or third class in my book ! What ever happened to integrity and respect for your opponent ? Prove it on the field ! Talk and intimidation is nothing and classless.

Never made the argument that it is okay because it is common. I reject your strawman argument.

Devils - That is a typical south side garbage comment. Calls us whatever area code you want. We’ll continue to play hard and right way. Neither Norcom or Churchland are in the Bay Rivers - the examples I cited. Beach teams don’t act like that. PD teams don’t act like that. Lake Taylor acts like that. I’m proud of being a life-time 757 dude. But I’m not proud of calling that stuff 757. Again, don’t paint us all that way.

Given you were on the LT staff, you know that crap goes on. If you tolerated, you are part of the problem. Coaches and administrators shouldn’t allow it, plain and simple. To cite hardness or toughness or 757 with that behavior is garbage. We have enough of our young men that get treated like thugs, often because they act like thugs.

I guess if we see the Truckers doing the same, we’ll know what’s up.

Devils - That is a typical south side garbage comment. Calls us whatever area code you want. We’ll continue to play hard and right way. Neither Norcom or Churchland are in the Bay Rivers - the examples I cited. Beach teams don’t act like that. PD teams don’t act like that. Lake Taylor acts like that. I’m proud of being a life-time 757 dude. But I’m not proud of calling that stuff 757. Again, don’t paint us all that way.

Given you were on the LT staff, you know that crap goes on. If you tolerated, you are part of the problem. Coaches and administrators shouldn’t allow it, plain and simple. To cite hardness or toughness or 757 with that behavior is garbage. We have enough of our young men that get treated like thugs, often because they act like thugs.

I think this thing is getting way to blown up, he talks, you talk, I talk, WHO CARES, go win and talk some more, if you don't like the talk, do something about it on the field, and if you cant, expect more talk. Everyone has has a voice, and yes not everyones voice needs to be heard. but if you hear it and don't like it, no need to tattle tail, DO SOMETHING TO STOP IT ON THE FIELD!!

Again ya'll are blowing something up that isn't a big deal, but you said NOTHING after the Lafayette game yet here you are so I can't take you serious when you piling on.

Reactions: Rev_Real
Fellas,
I’m not blowing anything up. I just don’t like being associated with it. I also think adults in a leadership and educational role should step in. That’s it.

Agree, we should talk about the kids and teams playing. I’m done on this topic.

Best of luck to both LT and Woodgrove. It takes a lot to get to this point and both programs should be very proud. I’m pulling for the Titans to bring another state championship back to the 757.

#3 is a man. Enjoy watching him play!

When I watched Woodgrove on film I noted how their physicality, going for it on 4th down, and willingness to run the QB reminded me of Stone Bridge which Lake Taylor defeated in the 2012 finals. I read a bio on Coach Skinner Sunday and where did he come from before Woodgrove SB. Should be a physical game like the 2012 finals where LT won 20-14.

Woodgrove has done pretty well especially as they just opened in 2010. When I lived in Loudoun Co from 1986- 1994 Purcellville was pretty deserted.

I'm most impressed with the discipline on both sides. I know it's stating the obvious - but a huge reason both of these teams are here is because they have offensive systems they believe in and are very disciplined in executing their gameplans which to me is a sign of great leadership. I have watched a lot of football and have seen many very talented teams underachieve due to a lack of discipline.

I also think a big factor in this game is going to be who can CREATE a turnover or two. Both teams are disciplined and I don't see either offense shooting themselves in the foot. Both teams run ball control offenses, both defenses load the box and play cover 0. I do think Lake Taylor has a better chance at hitting the home run plays in the passing game but I also think Woodgrove has an advantage on 3rd & 8 in being able make plays in the passing game in those situations to keep the chains moving.

I believe the key to this game for Woodgrove is simple: can they limit the big plays in the passing game and can they establish the line of scrimmage and move the chains consistently with their power run game on offense? The failure to do these things will lead to a big win for Lake Taylor. If they are able to do those two things it will be a whale of a game.

Sidenote: Devil's - I read an article on you taking over at Churchland and I wish you nothing but the best. You have the program trending in the right direction - keep it going!

Also - I saw earlier in the thread where Devil's stated that you can't play zone and stop the veer - which is dead on accurate. You can't play zone and consistently shut down Woodgrove 's power run game either because doing so gives woodgrove a numbers advantage at the point of attack bc the QB runs the ball for Woodgrove a lot. Both styles require the defense to load the box and play man coverage behind it. Fortunately for both of these teams that's exactly what they do and who they are defensively week in and week out so they will not have to do anything defensively that is foreign or uncomfortable to them. It'll be just tweaking their scheme to take away what the other team does best.

When I watched Woodgrove on film I noted how their physicality, going for it on 4th down, and willingness to run the QB reminded me of Stone Bridge which Lake Taylor defeated in the 2012 finals. I read a bio on Coach Skinner Sunday and where did he come from before Woodgrove SB. Should be a physical game like the 2012 finals where LT won 20-14.

We have been running the QB all year, which Woodgrove has been doing a lot the last four seasons. Scares the hell outta me but that QB is tough as nails. He'd just as soon run over defenders than try to avoid them! He knocked one DB out cold for 30 seconds late in the season. He was running so hard last week he blew out both of his beginning year cleats! QB had to borrow my sons cleat for a few plays on first blowout but it was too big. Ended up using my son's friends cleats to finish the game!

Size wise ; this isn't biggest Woodgrove team we have fielded but it is the quickest Defense we have ever had and they will be tested tomorrow for sure.

I like our chances if we can control the ball/clock, avoid turnovers and stupid penalties and finally avoid getting into a track meet!

When it comes to games like this there are a few vital things that must happen. 1. I totally agree about playing assignment football against the veer. Do your job or suffer the consequences. Regardless of the offense, play fast, play physical, and get off the field. 2. Play lights out on special teams. Get a punt blocked? Not a good result. Limit big plays in this phase, secure the tackle or kick, and maintain possession 100% of the time. And 3. Limit your penalties with focus and discipline! Nothing is more frustrating than playing solid defense and giving the other team a chance to move the sticks! Offense and defense are predicated on advantages through matchups and execution. Get it done, and you earn the right to raise the trophy! Good luck to those teams today and I hope they all walk away injury free and with their heads held high.

Reactions: Tom Potter
Reactions: OCBoy
Sidenote: Devil's - I read an article on you taking over at Churchland and I wish you nothing but the best. You have the program trending in the right direction - keep it going!
Appreciate it...Thanks just trying to get the right people in place and so far it’s happening. Track won region title in Spring and we have state aspirations!!

Reactions: OCBoy
LT as I mentioned before does not cover well and they didn’t. But that huge Woodgrove O line also dominated. In the end LT could score but their defense couldn’t handle almost anything Woodgrove ran at them .

LT had way too many turnovers. Woodgrove came out and set the tone fast. Once Harvey went down you could tell from the fans it would be a struggle

Woodgrove leaves class 4 in a blaze of glory... LT was still super young and probably was a year ahead of schedule. For the next 2 years LT should be leading discussion or at least in the top 5. They have a lot coming back and will now have an axe to grind.

Woodgrove leaves class 4 in a blaze of glory... LT was still super young and probably was a year ahead of schedule. For the next 2 years LT should be leading discussion or at least in the top 5. They have a lot coming back and will now have an axe to grind.
We also get to discuss the new kids to Div 4. Hampton and Tuscarora.

Sounds like LT had lots of penalties at the wrong time. More disciplined team won.
That’s their style of play. They’re generally an undisciplined team. They just usually score more than you regardless of that. Their’s definitely a blueprint to beat them. You just have to have the talent that can execute the plan.

Reactions: freeatlast2013
Sounds like LT had lots of penalties at the wrong time. More disciplined team won.
That’s their style of play. They’re generally an undisciplined team. They just usually score more than you regardless of that. Their’s definitely a blueprint to beat them. You just have to have the talent that can execute the plan.
Who do you coach for

Their QB and big RB come back for 2 years. They will dominate Region A. Lafayette is off to 3A now and say goodbye to LT, KF, DC and the others and hello to Phoebus, Hopewell and Norcom among others and I will be off to the 3A board giving Devils a rest.

Lafayette, if this year was any indication, you may be doing a lot of talking to yourself, as the 3A board was awfully quiet during the regular season especially.

Right. There’s more talk about 3a teams on the 4a board
I was afraid of that. With Bruton probably a no go we will have 2 non conference games. HC Andy Linn should schedule 2 4A teams. How about Dinwiddie and LT??

I was afraid of that. With Bruton probably a no go we will have 2 non conference games. HC Andy Linn should schedule 2 4A teams. How about Dinwiddie and LT??
Sorry Lafeyette, Dinwiddie already has GW Danville, North Stafford and Massaponax lined up for the next 2 years. You guys should have a great shot to win it all in class 3 next year, so playing somebody really good ood would be extremely helpful for the Rams. The Bay Rivers District (too bad) will offer no challenge for Lafayette (too good) next year and thats a fact. Lafayette, has lost in the semis twice and regional finals in the past 3 years which demonstrates quality talent and coaching. The Rams just need to mix in a challenge and some adversity to get them ready for the finals. @Lafayette, did your Rams trail at all in the regular season?

Sorry Lafeyette, Dinwiddie already has GW Danville, North Stafford and Massaponax lined up for the next 2 years. You guys should have a great shot to win it all in class 3 next year, so playing somebody really good ood would be extremely helpful for the Rams. The Bay Rivers District (too bad) will offer no challenge for Lafayette (too good) next year and thats a fact. Lafayette, has lost in the semis twice and regional finals in the past 3 years which demonstrates quality talent and coaching. The Rams just need to mix in a challenge and some adversity to get them ready for the finals. @Lafayette, did your Rams trail at all in the regular season?
Yes, we trailed in our regular season game with Warhill, 3-0 at the half before we won 29-3. All the others we were always ahead and in 7 there was a running clock in the 2nd half. This year the Bay Rivers was pretty good. Warhill twice beat Heritage NN, Poquoson, York and New Kent played Phoebus pretty well in the playoffs. But the coming year looks more like a down year in the Bay Rivers I agree. Most of the notable players graduate. In 2019 the Bay Rivers will not be a steep challenge so the 2 non conference games should be. We will need to face Hopewell and Phoebus in Region A. Norcom now with a new coach will be an unknown quantity.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT