ADVERTISEMENT

State Semifinals: #1 Woodgrove vs #1 Blacksburg

Who Wins?

• Woodgrove

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • Blacksburg

Votes: 46 74.2%

• Total voters
Game is at 2:00 PM at Christiansburg , Hokies at noon lol , here we go again.

Should be a great game! I am far from an expert on either team as I have only seen Woodgrove live a few times this year and know little about Blacksburg other than the little bit of film I have seen online. I am very impressed with the little I have seen of Blacksburg - the fact that they are the team that is representing the very tough Region D speaks volumes.

Just to get the discussion going on the game - I see this game being won/lost out on the perimeter - specifically in the pass game. This will be crucial for both teams and where the big plays (or lack thereof) will happen and ultimately decide the outcome. One team I believe has a distinct advantage but we will see how it plays out!

Good luck to both teams and I hope the winner comes out healthy for the state final!

Last edited:
Should be a great game! I am far from an expert on either team as I have only seen Woodgrove live a few times this year and know little about Blacksburg other than the little bit of film I have seen online. I am very impressed with the little I have seen of Blacksburg - the fact that they are the team that is representing the very tough Region D speaks volumes.

Just to get the discussion going on the game - I see this game being won/lost out on the perimeter - specifically in the pass game. This will be crucial for both teams and where the big plays (or lack thereof) will happen and ultimately decide the outcome. One team I believe has a distinct advantage but we will see how it plays out!

Good luck to both teams and I hope the winner comes out healthy for the state final!

So Woodgrove had the most diverse offensive play calling against Sherando I have ever seen from a Woodgrove team in their nine season history!

They spread the ball around to all of the receivers who caught almost every ball they could. They had a nice mix of running plays and opened up the playbook with some trick plays in big situations.

Defense bent but did not break and had some key fourth down stops.

Zero turnovers and few major penalties helped this team advance to the semis.

The lads will be spending Friday night in New River Valley and should be well rested come Saturday afternoon.

We had zero injuries against Sherando to my knowledge.

I like are chances to advance on a turf field!

Reactions: OCBoy
Blackburg plays like a track team on the field, get into space and run. They have some big bodies up front and make sound plays as is evident of their success in the past 3 seasons.

Woodgrove was almost always a figure early in the 4a classification and is returning to form, used to be a physical run first and last program but seems to be shifting to some diversity as I’ve read and seen clips.

Blacksburg by 17.

Interesting that Woodgrove coming in on Friday to play Saturday game. I know Salem never stays in hotels night before game. Travels and plays. Making no judgement, just find it interesting

Interesting that Woodgrove coming in on Friday to play Saturday game. I know Salem never stays in hotels night before game. Travels and plays. Making no judgement, just find it interesting
Lake Taylor does this as well. Traveled to North Stafford on a Friday for a Saturday 2pm game. Stayed in Charlottesville on Friday night in 2012, 2014, and 2015 for finals. Allows the kids opportunity to get away and get focused on game.

I agree with the above statements about the speed of Blacksburg - hence my comment on about big plays on the perimeter. If Woodgrove is going to have a chance at winning this game - they are going to have to play great on the outside and find a way to limit Blacksburg's play making abilities in space. On the flip side - Woodgrove is going to have to find a way to make some big plays of their own against a very good Blacksburg secondary.

Something to watch is going to be how Blacksburg does against the power run game of Woodgrove. If Blacksburg is able to shut down the power run game of Woodgrove and force them to throw consistently to pick up first downs - as accurate as the Woodgrove QB is - I think the speed/ability of the Blacksburg secondary can negate the size of those Woodgrove WRs.

It will all play out next Saturday with two very good teams doing battle. I have an opinion as to who I think has an advantage in this one and how things will play out - but since my opinion won't have any bearing on the outcome of the game - I'll keep it to myself. Good Luck to both teams!

The last two years Salem did not stay in hotel night before State Championship game in Williamsburg. I think most Non Salem fans just assumed that they did.

Lake Taylor does this as well. Traveled to North Stafford on a Friday for a Saturday 2pm game. Stayed in Charlottesville on Friday night in 2012, 2014, and 2015 for finals. Allows the kids opportunity to get away and get focused on game.
I believe that sitting on a bus for 3 hrs makes the players sluggish.

I just didn't understand how a team staying in a hotel turned into how Salem doesn't need to stay in a hotel. They just show up on game day and kick tail. If Coach Mags wants to avoid a hotel and put his team on the bus for a 4pm start time thats on him for state finals, but semifinals for a 1:30 or 2pm start is kinda pushing it. I know playing at Charlottesville in 2012 at 12pm there was no way we were leaving Norfolk in the am for that game.

I just didn't understand how a team staying in a hotel turned into how Salem doesn't need to stay in a hotel. They just show up on game day and kick tail. If Coach Mags wants to avoid a hotel and put his team on the bus for a 4pm start time thats on him for state finals, but semifinals for a 1:30 or 2pm start is kinda pushing it. I know playing at Charlottesville in 2012 at 12pm there was no way we were leaving Norfolk in the am for that game.
I have no problem with team staying in a hotel. Keeps the team more focused and unified. Some teams don’t do it due to cost.

It makes sense that they would do that. A 3.5 hour drive for a 2pm kickoff would mean they would most likely have to leave Woodgrove by 8:30am. Makes sense so that they don't have to rush the morning of.

Anyone know if this game will be streamed video or radio online? Hoping to watch/listen here in Nashville.
I don’t know about video, but ESPN Blacksburg will be doing the radio (Mountaineer Mark on here) if you want the Blacksburg announcers. Mark and Brad Epperley do a great job. Might cover the Bruins every week but not as biased as you might think. A++ team. You can get linked by searching ESPN Blacksburg or find them on the tune in ap (espn blacksburg). I’m sure Mark will chime in with more info. Mark........?

Last edited:
Don’t some teams get reimbursed for travel? Like in basketball how far southwest va teams stay in hotels near VCU
They get reimbursement for travel. Meals and bus rentals. Don’t think they cover hotels

Reactions: OCBoy
I don’t know about video, but ESPN Blacksburg will be doing the radio (Mountaineer Mark on here) if you want the Blacksburg announcers. Mark and Brad Epperley do a great job. Might cover the Bruins every week but not as biased as you might think. A++ team. You can get linked by searching ESPN Blacksburg or find them on the tune in ap (espn blacksburg). I’m sure Mark will chime in with more info. Mark........?

www.espnblacksburg.com, then click Listen Live at the top of the home page . . . or . . . download (free) the ESPN Blacksburg app from the App Store.

Reactions: Unc1ejimmy
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT