ADVERTISEMENT

State semis

Sep 2, 2017
Looks like the cream rose to the top. The four teams in boys 2A with the best records, three with only 3 losses, and one unbeaten, are in the final four. I'm still sticking with East Rockingham vs Radford in the final. Should be two great games because Goochland and Gate City are top notch too.

Agreed. I have Radford beating GC, ER beating Goochland and the Bobcats bring home a state title.

These two matchups would be great to see! Have to move the final four back to a central location so that both games can be seen.

Goochland won't be easy but after East Rock brought their A game to last night's win over Greensville Co. I'll take them by 2. I wouldn't be surprised if Goochland pulled the upset if you can call it that.

Radford is my slight favorite over Gate City but...I think it will come down to the wire. I'll take Radford by 2. Again...wouldn't surprise me to see Gate City win that one.

Overall I think Radford is the favorite but if any of the other three won it I wouldn't be surprised. Bottom line....Great Final Four!

Reactions: Hampton Roads 6
I think it will be Radford vs East Rock in the Championship game. However, if it ends up being a Goochland vs. GC state final I wouldnt be surprised at all.

If both Bradley and Zac show up shooting the ball well against Radford that game will be a barn burner. Brad didnt bring his "A game" last night against MHS (which alot was due to the Dogs defense) and Zac put the team on his back. That cant happen against Radford. Brad and Zac must both be on for the Devils to keep it close. If GC comes out cold from deep I could see them getting in a big hole early and then fighting an uphill battle the rest of the way which would spell big time trouble. With the players Radford has.....they will hit timely shots and end any chances of mounting big comebacks. Cant get down by double digits against that bunch.

Good luck to everyone and safe travels! Should be 2 really good games to watch.

Does anyone know the definitive answer as to whether they will clear out the Siegel Center on Saturday after the 1-A games and then charge a new admission for the 2-A games? Knowing the answer to that might very well make the difference for me as to whether I go at all this year.

They have really figured out how to maximize their money and screw sports fans of what used to be a fun weekend.

I don’t think $10 for any single session is unreasonable. But we used to be able to catch at least 4 games (and the Super 6 on Saturday) for that price, and that was pretty awesome.

Reactions: Hokies57
Yes, one has to pay for each session. I guess we all should have seen this coming. So if you want to watch 4 games in a day, it'll be $20.00. I can see in the near future, the ticket prices going up.

Thanks for this input. I know it appears that our suspicions are correct and that it will in fact cost $20 if you want to see all four games on Saturday. So I am not doubting either my own interpretation or anything that any of you are saying, but still I wish it came right out and SAID that someplace.

Say for example, and this could really happen, that both the 1-A games go into overtime or drag on, so that it is 4:00 before the boys' awards ceremony is over. We have seen the way people stand around and talk and take pictures, get something to eat, etc. So would they really hope to get the people all cleared out before they would let the new crowd in?

Someone who really wants to see the 2-A girls game might arrive an hour or so early so they can get a prime seat, and I just can't believe they would make that person stand outside for any length of time. So I would love to believe that they are just quoting that second price for people who only want to see those two games and that they won't REALLY chase people out if they come at 11 and want to stay the rest of the day.

Like I said I imagine that we all are reading it the same way, but I just wish it spelled it out in plain English somewhere.

Reactions: AntGZee
Hopefully someday, the VHSL will become smart enough to put on a basketball tournament. Step 1 should be get tournament out of Richmond.

Hopefully someday, the VHSL will become smart enough to put on a basketball tournament. Step 1 should be get tournament out of Richmond.
I would not want to be head of VHSL and have to do what they do with what they probably have as a staff. Just think about how the enrollments are changing. Schools in some areas are combining because of declining enrollments while some areas [ Loudon County } can't build new high schools fast enough because of expanding enrollments. I heard that Loudon will open Independance high next year with Right Ridge ? maybe the year after ! Anybody want to step up to the plate and run playoffs? Not me.

I would not want to be head of VHSL and have to do what they do with what they probably have as a staff. Just think about how the enrollments are changing. Schools in some areas are combining because of declining enrollments while some areas [ Loudon County } can't build new high schools fast enough because of expanding enrollments. I heard that Loudon will open Independance high next year with Right Ridge ? maybe the year after ! Anybody want to step up to the plate and run playoffs? Not me.

I would love to be head of VHSL, with the power to run the league as it should be, and no executive committee to over rule me. And I would use common sense, without being politically correct.

The first thing I would do would be ban year round practice. Second would be:

Every state championship in every sport, will be played in Lynchburg or Salem, for 1A thru 4A. Charlottesville and/or Hampton would probably be venue for 5A/6A.

Every state championship in every sport, will be played in Lynchburg or Salem, for 1A thru 4A. Charlottesville and/or Hampton would probably be venue for 5A/6A.
So far I agree with you HR6. Probably need to increase your staff to help things run smoothly. I definitely agree with banning of year round practice. Having these huge matchups played in small gyms is a definite issue. Would have been nice to have Gate City play Radford at Radford U or Va Tech.

So far I agree with you HR6. Probably need to increase your staff to help things run smoothly. I definitely agree with banning of year round practice. Having these huge matchups played in small gyms is a definite issue. Would have been nice to have Gate City play Radford at Radford U or Va Tech.

The East Rock vs. Goochland game was played at Mills Godwin high school. Not only was this gym floor 84ft but the seating was very limited and the lighting wasn't very good at all. During a timeout they asked everyone to squeeze together so those standing could find seats and also mentioned they stopped selling tickets and turned everyone else away.

I questioned our principal, Eric Baylor about the choice of venues as he is on the executive committee for VHSL. He said the AD at Goochland called every school anywhere close looking for a large capacity school and nobody else would take the game. Several mentioned theatrical conflicts as the reason. I asked why no Siegel center, JMU convo or something similar for the quarters and semis but I didn't quite understand the answer. My take is that VHSL doesn't want to cut into their profit margin by booking these larger, pay venues. I really enjoyed watching so many teams play at JMU a couple years ago. At $10 per person there should be plenty of cash around to cover the rent but I guess plenty isn't enough when you can get it for nothing and pocket everything.

Reactions: Marshall-Dillon

Those seem legitimate. I figured there would be some kind of HR6 rule in there somewhere which would be crazy, but I can get behind them

When it was a week-long event and featured semi-finals and finals at VCU with about six games a day, it was not broke (contrary to HR 6's caterwauling) and therefore it did not need fixing.

Reactions: kwhs95fan
I definitely agree with a more clear plan for where games are to be played, especially centralizing at least the finals. With that said, I thought that Radford/GC would sell out and showed up “accordingly”, 3 hours ahead. It did not sell out. Radford University or VT would have actually lessened the atmosphere this time around. At times, it was almost as electric as last year when McClung brought about 1500 more people out.

I have noticed that a lot of high schools refuse to let others play at their school now. this is very poor sportsmanship on part of the schools. I heard it even happen with the Gretna girls team when looking for a venue for conference tournament game. Supposely all of the Campbell County schools said no.
Schools today need more Principals like former Rustburg Principal, Hugh Pendleton. He always made Rustburg available for other schools. (sometimes even before being contacted. He would volunteer Rustburg ahead of time).

Independence High in 2019-2020 and Lightridge High in 2020-2021.

1 and 2 in Salem
3 an 4 in Lynchburg
5 and 6 in Hampton

Then where would you move the games to? I have helped run AAU tournaments (56 and 72 teams) in the past and they are logistically a pain in the butt. No matter where you put the games, somebody in the other regions has to travel. Winning the rights is but a small part. Running the States needs alot of staff and volunteers. Big task and alot of pain.

In football, I think all 1A-4A schools should play at Salem and
1 and 2 in Salem
3 an 4 in Lynchburg
5 and 6 in Hampton

I feel your locations are solid. The only thing I would do different is the Class 5A and 6A rotate between 3 spots. NOVA, Richmond, and Hampton/Norfolk. 90% or more of the 5A and 6A schools are close to Richmond and if there is going to be one spot only, it should be Richmond as its easy for the NOVA schools and Tidewater to get there as kind of a half way point or close to it. Having it only in the Hampton Roads isn't fair to NOVA Schools, but at the same time, if it's only in Richmond, then it's kind of a bit to fair for the Richmond schools. I think they should rotate the 5 and 6 schools between those 3 areas.

In football, I think all 1A-4A schools should play at Salem and

I feel your locations are solid. The only thing I would do different is the Class 5A and 6A rotate between 3 spots. NOVA, Richmond, and Hampton/Norfolk. 90% or more of the 5A and 6A schools are close to Richmond and if there is going to be one spot only, it should be Richmond as its easy for the NOVA schools and Tidewater to get there as kind of a half way point or close to it. Having it only in the Hampton Roads isn't fair to NOVA Schools, but at the same time, if it's only in Richmond, then it's kind of a bit to fair for the Richmond schools. I think they should rotate the 5 and 6 schools between those 3 areas.

Well, to play devil's advocate, there are certainly schools that would benefit more than others (some greatly benefit) with being at Salem. And there is NO way that 4a should have option to be at Salem, that is a home game.

I have no issue with 1a/2a at Salem, even if some of the teams are very close. But when its brought up being close for 5 and 6, you have to factor that in too.

1 and 2 in Salem
3 an 4 in Lynchburg
5 and 6 in Hampton

They should do Richmond and Lynchburg. Play 2 games Friday night and 4 on Saturday at each venue. Choose where the games will be played based on the team involved or rotate each year.

In all honestly though, the VHSL needs to go to 4 classes with the exception of football.

I recall back in late 90s, VHSL put basketball state tournament at the Scope in Norfolk, thinking Hampton with Ronald Curry would be in finals. They got beat and never made it to Norfolk.

Truth be known, VHSL should have cut some kind of deal with the John Paul Jones building in Charlottesville with whatever management company is running the place. This should have been done before the place was built. This would be excellent venue for state tournament, like University Hall was back in the day.
VCU is not a good venue.

Reactions: southerntester
Yes they did. Cliff Hawkins and Potomac beat Curry's Crabbers in the semis that year.

I recall back in late 90s, VHSL put basketball state tournament at the Scope in Norfolk, thinking Hampton with Ronald Curry would be in finals. They got beat and never made it to Norfolk.

Truth be known, VHSL should have cut some kind of deal with the John Paul Jones building in Charlottesville with whatever management company is running the place. This should have been done before the place was built. This would be excellent venue for state tournament, like University Hall was back in the day.
VCU is not a good venue.
Too much to rent JPJ now.

Reactions: Marshall-Dillon
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT