Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Stone Bridge

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters

OCBoy

VaPreps All Region
Nov 12, 2001
Rematch of last years high scoring come from behind win for stone bridge

I see the same type of game this year as well. Both teams have trouble stopping the others offense. I think SB has a little more balance which gives them a slight edge.

Reactions: OCBoy
Is Ponax better this year than last? This SB team is the most complete one I have seen in a long time.

Massaponax gave up 50 points to Chancellor, but other than that, I heard they're better than last year. I might be coming to this game and see for myself.

Ponax is better than last year. Their QB play isn't as dynamic as last year, but still quite good. They have faced SB a total of 5 times with SB winning 4 of them. With the exception of 2002, when SB won 38-14, the average scoring difference is 4 points. Ponax was up 3 scores last year heading to the 4th quarter, until they forgot how to recover onside kicks. I expect another tight battle Friday night.

I live right down the road from Massaponax. Might roll over Friday night. Looks like a killer matchup.

Reactions: springer76
Yeah, pretty crazy game last year watching these two teams go up and down the field. Probably going to catch this one again as well.

Great game, but IMO the more talented team lost. Ponax's defense bent but didn't break for the majority of the game, and they moved the ball well, but then they started turning it over. I thought Ponax was the real deal until that point, but their QB was the weakness in the end. Ponax's in-game coaching also left a little to be desired. I see why they can't get over the hump now. If HS wins tomorrow, I think they'll have no problem with SB again. Ponax would've been a very, very interesting matchup.

Great game, but IMO the more talented team lost. Ponax's defense bent but didn't break for the majority of the game, and they moved the ball well, but then they started turning it over. I thought Ponax was the real deal until that point, but their QB was the weakness in the end. Ponax's in-game coaching also left a little to be desired. I see why they can't get over the hump now. If HS wins tomorrow, I think they'll have no problem with SB again. Ponax would've been a very, very interesting matchup.

You went out there?

Yeah I was there with some current/former area coaches. OCBoy didn't make it. Skynard1 and some other posters were there too. I forgot all about linking with springer76.

I bought the video pack but the video wasnt working only audio... sounded like stone bridge got in the redzone alot.

I bought the video pack but the video wasnt working only audio... sounded like stone bridge got in the redzone alot.
Yeah they threw a pick on their opening drive from the 1 yard line, then were stopped the next couple of drives after entering the redzone.

Great game, but IMO the more talented team lost.

I agree, great game.

Stone Bridge was obviously able to come back and win the game, but I thought that the failed two-point conversion attempts on their first two scoring drives had put them in a tough spot after Massaponax went up 21-12. Just made the difference between it being a one or two-score game at that point in the game. And with these two teams running the ball and chewing up a lot of clock sometimes you only have so many opportunities with the ball, but I guess that's where the turnovers can come into play. I still like seeing teams take chances like that with two-point conversion attempts, onside kicks, fake punts, etc. when they're not exactly needed.

Yeah they threw a pick on their opening drive from the 1 yard line, then were stopped the next couple of drives after entering the redzone.

You still think Massoponax was the better team given the above? I don't know if you have seen HS yet, they have to take care of business today first. Assuming they do, what do you think SB's odds are against the Springers?

I can tell you I was at the Bird game last week. HS is going to be very very tough to beat.

Yeah I was there with some current/former area coaches. OCBoy didn't make it. Skynard1 and some other posters were there too. I forgot all about linking with springer76.
I was going to go but, instead I bought the gameday pass. Didn't work me either. I listened to the end of it on audio too.

I was going to go but, instead I bought the gameday pass. Didn't work me either. I listened to the end of it on audio too.

They are giving those of us who bought a game pass last night a free one today... Not that you are going to need it today! :)

Reactions: springer76
You still think Massoponax was the better team given the above? I don't know if you have seen HS yet, they have to take care of business today first. Assuming they do, what do you think SB's odds are against the Springers?

I can tell you I was at the Bird game last week. HS is going to be very very tough to beat.
I thought Ponax was the more talented team. For example, I'd take Ponax's runners and linebackers on my team over SB's. #55 Trajan Anderson was a beast, but frankly should've made more plays than he did. SB was the better team because they capitalized on Ponax's mistakes and made the plays and coaching adjustments to win. You would've had to see the game to see what I meant. SB was in the redzone a lot, but Ponax defense stepped up more than SB's offense choked, if you know what I mean. SB also attempted a fake punt around midfield, which Ponax stuffed.

I haven't seen HS this year besides their Dale scrimmage, but if they're better this year as some have stated, they should have no problem with SB if they meet. They'll be too fast and athletic.

Reactions: mbonape1
They are giving those of us who bought a game pass last night a free one today... Not that you are going to need it today! :)
I know, I talked to the guy that owns the company last night. Evidentally, one of the broadcast cables was cut accidentally, after the repairs, it never worked .. Nice guy, to give a pass or refund.

This just seems to me another case where Massaponax snatched defeat from the jaws of victory....again. Massaponax always has a very talented and physical team, but they always seem to have the same outcome when they get to this point in the playoffs. Makes me wonder if the teams they meet at this point are just a tad more fundamentally sound than the Panthers when it gets to crunch time. Stone Bridge has proven themselves to be a very strong team recently...so there is really no shame in losing to them, as they did the last 2 years, or losing to the Tuscarora team they lost to a few years back ...but at some point you wonder if the Panthers will ever get over the hump. HS is a special team, and they should easily be the favorites today, and the next game if they get there...but i would never take for granted that you will get a victory over the Bulldogs. At this point, you have to show up with your A game...if you don't, your opponent will always have a chance to knock you off.

I thought Ponax was the more talented team. For example, I'd take Ponax's runners and linebackers on my team over SB's. #55 Trajan Anderson was a beast, but frankly should've made more plays than he did. SB was the better team because they capitalized on Ponax's mistakes and made the plays and coaching adjustments to win. You would've had to see the game to see what I meant. SB was in the redzone a lot, but Ponax defense stepped up more than SB's offense choked, if you know what I mean. SB also attempted a fake punt around midfield, which Ponax stuffed.

I haven't seen HS this year besides their Dale scrimmage, but if they're better this year as some have stated, they should have no problem with SB if they meet. They'll be too fast and athletic.

Yeah thanks for that synopsis... With the video not working I was just going off of the audio so I didn't really get to see it like those of you that were there.
I took Stone bridge in my pics just bc like rawmeat said... Ponax seems to always fall a little short and SB is usually the team that make the plays or lands on the fumble when its on the ground historically. They'll rebound though... lots of athletes over there.

I think some redistributing in Spotsy is about to take place sending a lot of kids to Spotsy high

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT