ADVERTISEMENT

Stone Bridge....

One of those games, some call it a "funk". Couldn't get it going... HSHS better put there foot on the gas now. Blow everything out the water, leave no doubt.
Well, HSHS was at Atlee (6-1) tonight, for their homecoming! Highland Springs left no doubt tonight! Highland Springs was dominant in every aspect of the game. Atlee could not stop our run game, couldn't even slow it down. They had no answer for our air assault! The Springer defense played lights out! There was a running clock with 2nd and 3rd strings playing midway thru the 3rd qtr.
The Springers are showing no weakness!
HSHS 44 ATLEE 0. Say no more.

None of that matters (THS/SB) because in the Potomac you have to do it twice. North Stafford, Broad Run, Tuscarora, Massapponax, and Stone Bridge. Anyone of those teams could be in the final with HSHS. Total crap shoot. Damn good teams in 5A.

None of that matters (THS/SB) because in the Potomac you have to do it twice. North Stafford, Broad Run, Tuscarora, Massapponax, and Stone Bridge. Anyone of those teams could be in the final with HSHS. Total crap shoot. Damn good teams in 5A.
I hear 'ya!...and I believe 'ya! It's the same here too. We have damn good teams in Richmond too, Henrico, Varina, Bird, Atlee and Highland Springs, the last 6 Class 5(or D5) State Champions out of this group! We have to do it twice too. Then there is Indian River or whoever might come out of the East. Highland Springs will have to get past that gauntlet to get to the Final! I know the Springers are the favorite (with good reason), but we still have to stay focused, play hard and play Springer ball!!! Last night, against 6-2 Atlee, HSHS looked as strong as I have seen. HS's starting RB went down with a minor injury in the first qtr. and sat out the rest of the game last night, but it didn't affect the running game one bit. They just kept dominating.... It's going to take a very special team to this Springer team down. So far this year HS has shut down quarterbacks Jalon Jones (Florida commit) and Tyler Warren (Va Tech commit). Two strong and very capable QBs that can get it done! Both of these guys were pressed to the brink and committed turnovers and had to run for their lives against this Springer defense. They are tough!

Last edited:
Reactions: mbonape1
Maury has become a surprising 5A team with a 6-1 record & only loss being at Lake Taylor. They've had quite a few transfers (not as much as I. River) and along with Salem VB & Nansemond River, will be the top teams from the 757. As last year proved, anything can happen in the playoffs down here, but the Braves should be the opponent vs HS.

Reactions: CavsGrad
Would it be fair to say that Indian River has the most impressive win this season? Blowing out Smith is not done, ever, but I don't know much of anything outside of the 757.

I agree, somebody from up there will show up to play Highland Springs. There are very good teams up there and I am surprised no one had pulled off a title in the last five seasons. That being said. Springers are better than ever this year. Good luck to whoever has to play them.

I agree, somebody from up there will show up to play Highland Springs. There are very good teams up there and I am surprised no one had pulled off a title in the last five seasons. That being said. Springers are better than ever this year. Good luck to whoever has to play them.
I think HSHS is courting a team from the Tidewater area to play next 2 years. I do think this was the best win for Indian River in a long, long time!! At the same time, Smith's QB, starting RB and the top LB all went down and didn't play a good part of the game. I read something to that effect.... So, was Oscar Smith playing handicapped? Is IR's defense that tough to have injured those 3? In any event, it's still a big time win for the Indians. Congrats Indian River!

I think HSHS is courting a team from the Tidewater area to play next 2 years. I do think this was the best win for Indian River in a long, long time!! At the same time, Smith's QB, starting RB and the top LB all went down and didn't play a good part of the game. I read something to that effect.... So, was Oscar Smith playing handicapped? Is IR's defense that tough to have injured those 3? In any event, it's still a big time win for the Indians. Congrats Indian River!

I don't see how anyone cheering for Smith felt confident after the first quarter.

Truthfully, I believe even if those guys stay healthy it turns out in a similar fashion. River had that game circled since August, probably closer to the end of last season.

Admittedly, I left after River took a 28-10 lead in the third. I did see there was a sequence of penalties though I find interesting.

Hatfield reported so I'd be interested in his input.

Smith had their biggest play in the second half and for into River territory. On 3rd and 5 Ben Smiley sacks Cam'ron Kelly and he fumbles. River picks it up and takes it to the Smith 39.

Apparently, it was roughing the passer. If Kelly still had the ball when Smiley sacked him how was it roughing?

What is more interesting is a personal foul on Smith. So a live ball foul of 15 yards and automatic first down, then a dead ball foul to put the ball back at the original line of scrimmage.

When I originally read that sequence my first thought was that the refs weren't going to let Smith lose like that. I wasn't there though. Just seems odd to have a roughing the passer called if the psser still had the ball...

Reactions: springer76
Smiley was head hunting. Earlier in the game he came in at #6 as he was slowed at the line by tacklers and ripped at his head hard enough to have swept the kid off his feet, into the air that caused him to land flat on his shoulders & neck. The ref only called a face mask & it was a clear targeting call & ejection. Coach Johnson had discussions with the refs but nothing improved afterwards. #22 had already been knocked out of the game at that point. So, Smith was left with their 4th RB which put more pressure on Kelley. To which, he was next on the hit list. Sure, the OL should have protected him better but once I. River didn't have to worry about a running game, they just teed off with the pressure.

For the double personal foul, again Smiley had gone after Kelley's head. But only got the roughing the passer called. I believe it was an automatic first down. I'm not sure how the offsetting penalty affects that call though.

I'd be curious to hear how KF lost their QB vs Indian River last week? From my biased side of the field, it looks like I. River is willing to take the risk of getting the personal fouls to go after their opponents' top players.

The Tigers are being gracious losers & wishing I. River well into their playoff run. Yesterday, the Braves defensive tenacity gave Smith some of our own medicine & they took out 20 years of frustration out on us.

Smiley was head hunting. Earlier in the game he came in at #6 as he was slowed at the line by tacklers and ripped at his head hard enough to have swept the kid off his feet, into the air that caused him to land flat on his shoulders & neck. The ref only called a face mask & it was a clear targeting call & ejection. Coach Johnson had discussions with the refs but nothing improved afterwards. #22 had already been knocked out of the game at that point. So, Smith was left with their 4th RB which put more pressure on Kelley. To which, he was next on the hit list. Sure, the OL should have protected him better but once I. River didn't have to worry about a running game, they just teed off with the pressure.

For the double personal foul, again Smiley had gone after Kelley's head. But only got the roughing the passer called. I believe it was an automatic first down. I'm not sure how the offsetting penalty affects that call though.

I'd be curious to hear how KF lost their QB vs Indian River last week? From my biased side of the field, it looks like I. River is willing to take the risk of getting the personal fouls to go after their opponents' top players.

The Tigers are being gracious losers & wishing I. River well into their playoff run. Yesterday, the Braves defensive tenacity gave Smith some of our own medicine & they took out 20 years of frustration out on us.
Sounds like IR is playing a bit dirty.

That's always debatable, intensity vs dirty play. But there's no denying the result from Saturday. After #22 then #6 went down that Smith's running game was ineffective. I was hoping that #2, Joe Bray would have been back for this game to help wear down the Braves. But as long as the team's healthy for the playoffs, they should be OK.

As far as rough play, The Tigers could have been accused of the same thing over the years. It really depends on which side of the field your rooting for, right?

Last edited:
Sounds like IR is playing a bit dirty.
Nooooo, not dirty at all. The nose for IR #56 was a dawg(as the kids say now). All over the field making plays, he did get a PF for a brutal facemask but he was making a play, no intent. I really liked the OL/DL for IR. If they make it, I can't say HS will win for sure.

I don't see how anyone cheering for Smith felt confident after the first quarter.

Truthfully, I believe even if those guys stay healthy it turns out in a similar fashion. River had that game circled since August, probably closer to the end of last season.

Admittedly, I left after River took a 28-10 lead in the third. I did see there was a sequence of penalties though I find interesting.

Hatfield reported so I'd be interested in his input.

Smith had their biggest play in the second half and for into River territory. On 3rd and 5 Ben Smiley sacks Cam'ron Kelly and he fumbles. River picks it up and takes it to the Smith 39.

Apparently, it was roughing the passer. If Kelly still had the ball when Smiley sacked him how was it roughing?

What is more interesting is a personal foul on Smith. So a live ball foul of 15 yards and automatic first down, then a dead ball foul to put the ball back at the original line of scrimmage.

When I originally read that sequence my first thought was that the refs weren't going to let Smith lose like that. I wasn't there though. Just seems odd to have a roughing the passer called if the psser still had the ball...
Smith would have to go through Ocean Lakes, Colonial Forge or Manchester just to get back to the championship. I personally think It will be Manchester vs Westfield for the championship with Manchester pulling it out.

Smith would have to go through Ocean Lakes, Colonial Forge or Manchester just to get back to the championship. I personally think It will be Manchester vs Westfield for the championship with Manchester pulling it out.
This is the best Manchester team I've ever seen. They are the real deal. I think it's going to be Manchester vs Westfield too.

Reactions: OCBoy
This is the best Manchester team I've ever seen. They are the real deal. I think it's going to be Manchester vs Westfield too.
....and springer76, the Lancers are moving to 5B next year!

In my Lee Corso voice" not so fast my friend" crowing Manchester to automatically get to the championship game is disrespectful to both Smith and Colonial Forge. They are the most talented but, they have been the previous 2 years as well. Besides they haven't been able to get past Colonial Forge to get to the state semifinal with the same talent. Same goes for Colonial Forge when it comes Smith but, those games have been really good at that stage. Let's see if they get to the state semifinal first. There's levels to this ,teams are better as the rounds go further. And let's just say Manchester makes it to the semifinal and Smith just luckily makes it as well and they play at Manchester. The pressure would be on Manchester which none of them have experienced with this much at stake. Smith would thrive being huge underdogs to Manchester and everyone picking against them. The brand of football that was played against river can only be duplicated by Smith and River. Manchester hasn't had to play against that style of football ? They will when they play Highland Springs next year. Oh yea only thing about regular season Smith care about is making sure they make the playoffs.

Reactions: CavsGrad and OCBoy
In my Lee Corso voice" not so fast my friend" crowing Manchester to automatically get to the championship game is disrespectful to both Smith and Colonial Forge. They are the most talented but, they have been the previous 2 years as well. Besides they haven't been able to get past Colonial Forge to get to the state semifinal with the same talent. Same goes for Colonial Forge when it comes Smith but, those games have been really good at that stage. Let's see if they get to the state semifinal first. There's levels to this ,teams are better as the rounds go further. And let's just say Manchester makes it to the semifinal and Smith just luckily makes it as well and they play at Manchester. The pressure would be on Manchester which none of them have experienced with this much at stake. Smith would thrive being huge underdogs to Manchester and everyone picking against them. The brand of football that was played against river can only be duplicated by Smith and River. Manchester hasn't had to play against that style of football ? They will when they play Highland Springs next year. Oh yea only thing about regular season Smith care about is making sure they make the playoffs.

You're right. In 6a, it's a gauntlet to make it to Westfield. Colonial Forge and Oscar Smith will be two big time wins if Manchester can get by them both. With that being said, this is not, I repeat this is not the same Manchester team of the past. They are loaded all across the board and will be hard to beat this season. They are senior heavy so they are battled tested. It's going to interesting to see the race to the states once we get to the Quarterfinal round.

And let's just say Manchester makes it to the semifinal and Smith just luckily makes it as well and they play at Manchester. The pressure would be on Manchester which none of them have experienced with this much at stake. Smith would thrive being huge underdogs to Manchester and everyone picking against them. The brand of football that was played against river can only be duplicated by Smith and River. Manchester hasn't had to play against that style of football ? .

Haven't seen much of the 757 teams this year, but I know what you mean about brand of football. That is what I said about Bird several years ago before their match up with Tuscarora. Tusky was good and that RB they had was fun to watch, but he didn't get hit much during the season. He did against Bird and came out of the locker room after half with some new bandaging. He didn't have look the same in the second half and some of that was due to Bird getting to him in the backfield before he could get started.

What I love about Highland Springs is that they have so much speed and agility, but they are physical as well

I wouldn't say that Manchester has had a cake schedule so I think they will be tough enough. If Brendan Clark is good enough, then I think the Lancers can hang with anybody. As he goes so goes Manchester.

Haven't seen much of the 757 teams this year, but I know what you mean about brand of football. That is what I said about Bird several years ago before their match up with Tuscarora. Tusky was good and that RB they had was fun to watch, but he didn't get hit much during the season. He did against Bird and came out of the locker room after half with some new bandaging. He didn't have look the same in the second half and some of that was due to Bird getting to him in the backfield before he could get started.

What I love about Highland Springs is that they have so much speed and agility, but they are physical as well

I wouldn't say that Manchester has had a cake schedule so I think they will be tough enough. If Brendan Clark is good enough, then I think the Lancers can hang with anybody. As he goes so goes Manchester.

I can tell you that Manchester has enormous size on their team. Not just big gewy kids but 300lbs of muscle kids. Beamon, Pritchard, the list goes onand on. They have good size on all layers of their Defense as well. If they put in their power package good luck. They could potentially win the state championship without throwing a pass. I don't know that they will win it all for certain, but if they don't then I don't think they ever will.

Reactions: springer76
I can tell you that Manchester has enormous size on their team. Not just big gewy kids but 300lbs of muscle kids. Beamon, Pritchard, the list goes onand on. They have good size on all layers of their Defense as well. If they put in their power package good luck. They could potentially win the state championship without throwing a pass. I don't know that they will win it all for certain, but if they don't then I don't think they ever will.
I would venture to say, this is Manchester's year! Really! There are no weaknesses on that team!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT