ADVERTISEMENT

Teams to watch this year?

kwhs95fan

VaPreps All Region
Gold Member
Oct 17, 2006
Now that football season has finished, let's get into full basketball mode. Last year I did top 10 rankings either weekly or bi weekly and of course they were my opinion only. I'll hold off for a bit before I do one as some schools haven't even played a game yet and some have only played one or two. I will give a list of teams from each region who I think could be in the mix this year. Feel free to add any teams that I might have missed.

Region A:

Mathews- Only loss is by 9 to 5A Nansemond River. Defeated a good 2A King William team by 21 on Friday.

Northampton- The Eastern Shore teams are usually a mystery. The Jackets do own a 1 point win over Lancaster.

Colonial Beach- They have an impact player in Corvion Davis. Both of their losses are to 4A Courtland

Charles City- The Panthers are off to a solid start with a solid win over Washington and Lee. Their two losses were to CB by 6 and Mathews.

Lancaster- Devils have 3 losses but two of them have been to private schools and the other to Northampton by one. They beat Surry by 28 this week.

Region B:

Riverheads- Obviously the Gladiators haven't played a game yet, but I look for them to be the favorite in Region B after making the state tournament last year and returning just about the entire team.

Surry - While being a very young team and losing everyone from last year, the Cougars still have athletes and I'm sure will only get better.

Carver Academy- Last year's Region B champions lost some really good players, but do have some size. They own a victory over a solid Middlesex team and will play Charles City this week.

Franklin- The Broncos own a win over 3A Southampton, while losing to Surry by 18 and Colonial Beach by 1. They play in a tough district along with Surry and Sussex and might take some lumps, but will be batte tested.

Sussex - Despite being winless thus far, I'm including the Tigers because they have single digit losses to Park View, Greensville and Southhampton and a 10 point loss to Northampton. Those kind of games will only benefit them in the long run

Region C:

George Wythe- A team that is in the state mix seemingly every year. Despite losing some good players from last season, I look for them to be in the hunt for another regional and state berth

Auburn- Star player Ethan Millirons missed a few early season games for the Eagles, but with it looking like he's back now, I look for them to take off behind one of the best players in 1A.

Bland - The Bears had a solid season last year and are off to a 4-1 start this year. If either of the two teams I mentioned above them slip, the Bears could find themselves in the state tournament.

Parry McCluer - The Blues are a physical, defensive minded team and that will keep them in every game. They only lost to Auburn by 2 in the regionals last year.

Region D:

Grundy- The Golden Wave finished last season at 22-2 and return 6'7 Cade Looney, who is probably the best big man in 1A. They did however lose star point guard, Hamilton Campbell, who is now at a prep school in NC. With Campbell, they would be my preseason favorite, and even without him they will still be a force.

Eastside- Led by all state player, Ethan Powers, the Spartans look to get over the hump after being runner up the last two years. They are extremely well coached and have proven before that they can make it back to the big game after losing a lot of players.

Honaker- Honaker is led by one of the best scorers in all of 1A in Grayson Honaker. With the smooth shooting junior, the Tigers will be in just about every game and don't be surprised if they are regional champions.

Holston- The Cavaliers already own a win over Virginia High and only lost to John Battle by 3. They did lose to Honaker by 12, but they seem to be a hungry bunch and could make some noise.

Again this is just some early observations, as I haven't fully been following basketball up until this point, but will certainly be following closer now that football is behind us. Once again, feel free to add any other teams that you think might be in the hunt and please correct me if I was wrong on anything.

Now that football season has finished, let's get into full basketball mode. Last year I did top 10 rankings either weekly or bi weekly and of course they were my opinion only. I'll hold off for a bit before I do one as some schools haven't even played a game yet and some have only played one or two. I will give a list of teams from each region who I think could be in the mix this year. Feel free to add any teams that I might have missed.

Region A:

Mathews- Only loss is by 9 to 5A Nansemond River. Defeated a good 2A King William team by 21 on Friday.

Northampton- The Eastern Shore teams are usually a mystery. The Jackets do own a 1 point win over Lancaster.

Colonial Beach- They have an impact player in Corvion Davis. Both of their losses are to 4A Courtland

Charles City- The Panthers are off to a solid start with a solid win over Washington and Lee. Their two losses were to CB by 6 and Mathews.

Lancaster- Devils have 3 losses but two of them have been to private schools and the other to Northampton by one. They beat Surry by 28 this week.

Region B:

Riverheads- Obviously the Gladiators haven't played a game yet, but I look for them to be the favorite in Region B after making the state tournament last year and returning just about the entire team.

Surry - While being a very young team and losing everyone from last year, the Cougars still have athletes and I'm sure will only get better.

Carver Academy- Last year's Region B champions lost some really good players, but do have some size. They own a victory over a solid Middlesex team and will play Charles City this week.

Franklin- The Broncos own a win over 3A Southampton, while losing to Surry by 18 and Colonial Beach by 1. They play in a tough district along with Surry and Sussex and might take some lumps, but will be batte tested.

Sussex - Despite being winless thus far, I'm including the Tigers because they have single digit losses to Park View, Greensville and Southhampton and a 10 point loss to Northampton. Those kind of games will only benefit them in the long run

Region C:

George Wythe- A team that is in the state mix seemingly every year. Despite losing some good players from last season, I look for them to be in the hunt for another regional and state berth

Auburn- Star player Ethan Millirons missed a few early season games for the Eagles, but with it looking like he's back now, I look for them to take off behind one of the best players in 1A.

Bland - The Bears had a solid season last year and are off to a 4-1 start this year. If either of the two teams I mentioned above them slip, the Bears could find themselves in the state tournament.

Parry McCluer - The Blues are a physical, defensive minded team and that will keep them in every game. They only lost to Auburn by 2 in the regionals last year.

Region D:

Grundy- The Golden Wave finished last season at 22-2 and return 6'7 Cade Looney, who is probably the best big man in 1A. They did however lose star point guard, Hamilton Campbell, who is now at a prep school in NC. With Campbell, they would be my preseason favorite, and even without him they will still be a force.

Eastside- Led by all state player, Ethan Powers, the Spartans look to get over the hump after being runner up the last two years. They are extremely well coached and have proven before that they can make it back to the big game after losing a lot of players.

Honaker- Honaker is led by one of the best scorers in all of 1A in Grayson Honaker. With the smooth shooting junior, the Tigers will be in just about every game and don't be surprised if they are regional champions.

Holston- The Cavaliers already own a win over Virginia High and only lost to John Battle by 3. They did lose to Honaker by 12, but they seem to be a hungry bunch and could make some noise.

Again this is just some early observations, as I haven't fully been following basketball up until this point, but will certainly be following closer now that football is behind us. Once again, feel free to add any other teams that you think might be in the hunt and please correct me if I was wrong on anything.

How about the girls division. How do you see that shaking out

How about the girls division. How do you see that shaking out
I don't follow girls basketball enough to give an honest opinion. I will say that the Western teams are a whole lot more fundamentally sound than the teams out East. That was extremely evident in the 1A and 2A state championship games last year. The Western teams pass the ball a lot better, where as teams out East try to play too much one on one and their defensive intensity is a lot higher.

Region A:

Region B:

Region C:

Region D:

Do you see GW coming out of the west this year

My hope for Riverheads is that they win enough games to get to host when it comes to regional and state playoffs. I have lost track of the number of times and the different places we have gone in the post-season and come up short. And yes, I know before someone says it........"but what about the football team?"

Do you see GW coming out of the west this year
They will be in the mix. Having their point guard transfer, definitely hurts them though. It will be a lot of good basketball in regions C and D and it will ultimately come down to matchups and which team gets hot at the right time

My hope for Riverheads is that they win enough games to get to host when it comes to regional and state playoffs. I have lost track of the number of times and the different places we have gone in the post-season and come up short. And yes, I know before someone says it........"but what about the football team?"
Is Fulton playing basketball this season? Obviously he came back to play football for his senior season, but I haven't heard if he's doing so for basketball.

Haven't seen a roster but after tonight I will be able to tell you EXACTLY who is playing, since the Big Red opens at home against Bath. But from everything I have heard, referee is right and he is not playing basketball. But the Gladiators should have plenty of talent to make another playoff run.

Reactions: kwhs95fan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT