ADVERTISEMENT

The greatest playoff game you ever saw or played in

woodlayer#952002

VaPreps Varsity
Oct 26, 2012
Im going with Franklin vs Sussex back in 2004 Danielle babb led Franklin to a victory and went on to win the title. Aljamont rose was a stud for Sussex the two best teams in the state met in the regional finals and it was a dog fight we knew whoever won this game would win the title that year.

Reactions: Tigerboy01
King William vs New Kent. 2000 Region A Championship . KW won 6-0 in a defensive battle for the ages on a frigid day. NK fumbled on about their 30 on their first drive, KW capitalized and the defenses took over from there. KW went onto beat Buffalo Gap, 44-0 in the state semifinal and a Heath Miller led Honaker team in the state championship.

For me, it’s the 2A State Semi Final game Essex @ Gretna. Gretna won 45-40. Essex had a chance to win with under a minute remaining in the game deep in Gretna’s territory (maybe in the red zone, can’t remember lol) but couldn’t pull it out. Chuck Samuels of Essex and Barksdale of Gretna were beasts in that game.

Last edited:
99 Sussex and Surry region a champion game the two best teams in the state that year Surry won 12-6 with two big punt returns and the 4th quarter Sussex lead 6-0 until 5 mins left in the game. It was a hard hitting day both defenses was amazing

99 Sussex and Surry region a champion game the two best teams in the state that year Surry won 12-6 with two big punt returns and the 4th quarter Sussex lead 6-0 until 5 mins left in the game. It was a hard hitting day both defenses was amazing
I forgot all about the air cougars and for Sussex joedon lankford was a beast I wasn't play single A ball in 99 I didn't move to Franklin until the 2001 season but In 1999 I played AAA ball in the southeastern district deanglo hall was running back for deep creek and joedon lankford was just as good as deanglo hall although hall was faster the veer catered to joedon skill set

Im going with Franklin vs Sussex back in 2004 Danielle babb led Franklin to a victory and went on to win the title. Aljamont rose was a stud for Sussex the two best teams in the state met in the regional finals and it was a dog fight we knew whoever won this game would win the title that year.

Im going with the game after that..the 34-0 beating they gave william campbell..the week of, all we heard were that their offense was unstoppable with peerman..no one can matchup with them..i dont think they had a 100 yards of offense

I forgot all about the air cougars and for Sussex joedon lankford was a beast I wasn't play single A ball in 99 I didn't move to Franklin until the 2001 season but In 1999 I played AAA ball in the southeastern district deanglo hall was running back for deep creek and joedon lankford was just as good as deanglo hall although hall was faster the veer catered to joedon skill set

Gosh I moved to that area in 2001 and Deep Creek was still tough at that time. Western Branch were monsters too. I remember watching WB spanking Kempsville in a playoff game in 01 or 02 at Oscar Smiths field. I wanna say Humes was at PA but cant remember now without googling it lol.

2013 2A State championship between Giles and Brunswick. A last second pass to the corner of the end zone to Dakoda Shrader tied the game. A PAT would have won it in regulation but the Spartans went on to win it in OT. The final drive in regulation was a showcase of grit, determination, and execution of the single wing. Salem stadium was rocking.

Both Essex-Gretna state semifinals. Also, The Essex-James Monroe Regional Final in 2003. That year Essex started out with losses to Mathews, KW and James Monroe. JM shut us out 34-0. We changed some things up (mainly QB) and turned things around. We beat KW in the first round of playoffs, then beat undefeated JM 16-13 on a game winning field goal by Carter Ball, then beat undefeated Manassas Park 24-7 in the state semis before losing to Gate City in the Championship. This was the first ever regional championship by Essex in football and began a pretty impressive run, with only a couple down years since then.

Our local (Staunton) paper is doing a feature on that exact topic as we speak. They asked readers to write in and suggest ideas for the 10 best games over the past ten years. Of course their focus would only be on games involving local teams.

They are now publishing them one by one, starting with ten and working toward the top. Later today we should learn which one is number 2 on the list and then next week we will find out number 1.

Some of the ones mentioned that would mean something to the rest of you would include:

Stuarts Draft's last-second loss to Richlands
Wilson's overtime win over Richlands
Wilson's overtime loss in Salem to Glenvar
Lee High's double-overtime win over Poquoson

Obviously I have wanted to see my Gladiators featured as much as possible and we have been. In fact I am just assuming that our 2010 state title win (63-49 over Eastern Montgomery) will be one of the top two because of all the records that were broken. The 7-6 loss to Galax has also made the cut already.

When I sent in my vote, I went for the Big Red's 35-31 win over Goochland. I believe the year was 2013 or 2014. Goochland was a powerhouse at that time and the Gladiators were making only their first or second playoff appearance in what would now be considered the 2-A level.

Goochland had a 31-21 lead as the game was winding down, when the Big Red scored on a rare touchdown pass with about three minutes left to cut it to a one-score game, then blocked a punt on Goochland's next possession. We then scored the winning TD with around a minute left and still had to hold off a valiant comeback by intercepting a pass in the end zone.

The amazing thing about that win was that our starting quarterback was injured late in the game and the two winning TD drives were led by his back-up. I don't have the newspaper's list in front of me but I think this one came in somewhere around number 7 or 8.

Our local (Staunton) paper is doing a feature on that exact topic as we speak. They asked readers to write in and suggest ideas for the 10 best games over the past ten years.

Stuarts Draft's last-second loss to Richlands
Wilson's overtime win over Richlands
Wilson's overtime loss in Salem to Glenvar
Lee High's double-overtime win over Poquoson
Does anyone have video for that Stuart's Draft-Richlands game?

The paper has now revealed its number two game. It was the Riverheads at Wilson playoff game in 2012, won by the Hornets 22-21. Surely the above-mentioned EM game will HAVE to be number one next week, since it has not yet appeared anywhere in the countdown.

Easy for me: 2008 Essex at Gretna. Over 1,000 combined yards. Essex trailed 33-14 but scored 4 consecutive TDs to go in front 40-33. Gretna scored twice to go ahead 45-40. Essex got inside Gretna's 5 yard line with less than 3 minutes left, but a holding penalty erased a 25-yard gain. Essex got inside Gretna's 20 but was stopped on downs at the Hawks' 12 with 9 seconds remaining. Essex set a state record with 569 yards, while Gretna amassed 469 yards.

Best playoff game ever was Gretna @ Christiansburg 2004. Can't recall all the details, but Gretna scored with 12 seconds left, to beat Christiansburg.

Reactions: gtownfencecrew
Both Essex-Gretna state semifinals. Also, The Essex-James Monroe Regional Final in 2003. That year Essex started out with losses to Mathews, KW and James Monroe. JM shut us out 34-0. We changed some things up (mainly QB) and turned things around. We beat KW in the first round of playoffs, then beat undefeated JM 16-13 on a game winning field goal by Carter Ball, then beat undefeated Manassas Park 24-7 in the state semis before losing to Gate City in the Championship. This was the first ever regional championship by Essex in football and began a pretty impressive run, with only a couple down years since then.

Someone posted in the recent best kickers thread that high school games are never decided by field goals.

I also thought of the massive Essex win in the playoffs where Carter Ball made the winning field goal at the end of the game at James Monroe in a big upset- one could easily argue that massive win (and kick) set the stage for the Essex run of dominance for some time.

Although longtimer the one you speak of (Riverheads and east mont) one of the most exciting games I’ve witnessed

Baseball 215:

That RHS/SD game has already been covered. In fact, while we wait on the newspaper's official announcement of Numero Uno, let me review the bottom nine for you.

# 10: Waynesboro's upset over Hidden Valley when they were a 16 seed and Hidden Valley was a 1 seed.

# 9: The just-mentioned 16-13 OT win by Stuarts Draft over Riverheads when each went into the game at 9-0.

# 8: Appomattox's state title win over R E Lee

# 7: My previously-discussed pick when Riverheads beat Goochland.

# 6: Wilson's overtime win over Richlands

# 5: Richlands' last-second comeback win at Stuarts Draft

# 4: Galax's state final win over Riverheads

# 3: R E Lee's double-overtime win over Poquoson

# 2: Wilson's 22-21 playoff win over Riverheads in which the Gladiators scored with .4 (notice the decimal point) left and went for two for the win.

# 1 ?????????????? We will know by this time next week.

This is the type thing you could debate until the cows come home. I think all these were classic games and I was fortunate enough to see five of them in person and see at least highlights of two others. The only placement that genuinely shocks me is the Appo/Lee game being only number 8. I cannot be convinced that some of the ones above it were really better games, but as I said it is subjective. However having said that, I will be STUNNED if the Riverheads/EM game is not number one because how could you possibly believe it is not one of the best ten games in the last ten years?

Yes Gunz that is the one I was thinking of

It was no doubt a great game, but I wouldn't put it that high.

If we are speaking of all time, I would put a 1996 SD game up there. The playoff game against Fort Defiance that ended 54-53.

Both playoff games against Union were classics, the 1st at SD with Cougars winning 17-15 and next year 28-21 at Big Stone Gap.

In 2015, one of the best/worst defensive games I have seen in playoffs at BG. Final was 7-0, with Gap scoring (or not scoring, depending what side you are on, at goal line). The reason that one sticks out is after the score, it was SO close that the officials took about 30 seconds to discuss it and didnt stop the clock in that time. So instead of about a minute to go after the score, SD had less that 30 seconds. They actually made it to BG 30 or so and had an INT at end of game.

And of course the 2 nailbiters in 2016, the aforementioned Riverheads game that was won in OT, and the loss to Richlands

I must be the odd ball here cause the all around best playoff game I witnessed was Radford/GW in ‘15. GW pulled that game out in the final 30 or so seconds with a long run that included two broken tackles from about 35 yards out. I was “scouting” if you will , having never seen them and was entertained by the game and atmosphere.

As for Riverheads, there are so many that I have enjoyed. The Goochland game was big because they had owned Wilson for a few years and most likely thought we were ripe for the picking being from the same district.

There are two more that stand out. First the Gretna game where we were man handled basically by one player, number 6. And the Giles game the week after the big Goochland game because I had never paid to be tortured like that. With wind chills in the single digits and a very good Giles team shutting down what was a pretty prolific offense that year, I came home frozen and frustrated.

A point I would make here is that in both cases of the Riverheads losses, the winning team won the chip that year. Gretna and Giles hoisted the trophy those years so it was rewarding knowing that since you lost in the playoffs, it was to the eventual champ.

Sussex vs Matthews 2001 Sussex came from behind to win 20 -19 with the help from jamar bailey who made an amazing catch over three defenders on a 4th and long play. Aljamont Rose a freshman at the time lead the ground attack to win the game with Richard Faltz leading the defense

Reactions: obguthr
Sussex vs Matthews 2001 Sussex came from behind to win 20 -19 with the help from jamar bailey who made an amazing catch over three defenders on a 4th and long play. Aljamont Rose a freshman at the time lead the ground attack to win the game with Richard Faltz leading the defense
Richard was a good player I was devastated when we lost in the first round to Sussex we had just beat yall for the district title 21-0 and then first round of the playoffs yall put 40 points on us we really overlooked yall big time that was Aljamont rose coming out party

Richard was a good player I was devastated when we lost in the first round to Sussex we had just beat yall for the district title 21-0 and then first round of the playoffs yall put 40 points on us we really overlooked yall big time that was Aljamont rose coming out party
I forgot to mention kendall Jackson i believe that hit he issue was talk about for weeks on channel 10 news. Sussex had finished the season on a two game losing streak (6-4) made it to the championship game against bath that year

I forgot to mention kendall Jackson i believe that hit he issue was talk about for weeks on channel 10 news. Sussex had finished the season on a two game losing streak (6-4) made it to the championship game against bath that year
I thought his last name was brown man we was just talking bout that hit and the one I put on yall QB in the regular season game my boy mike still mad at our qb he led him into that hit

2003 Region C Final Radford beat GW 23-22 in the last seconds on a TD pass.

2010 State Championship game Giles beat Brunswick. Unreal atmosphere

2011 State Championship Clintwood over Galax. Remember Galax having a chance to win it on the last play.

2015 State Championship Galax over Riverheads 7-6

Just a few.

A few others that I've witnessed:

1990 State Championship Game. King and Queen beat J.I. Burton, 21-20 in OT. King and Queen went for 2 in overtime and got it.

1996 Regional Semifinal Game. King William vs Essex. Coldest game that I can remember attending as a fan. KW scores on a Maurice Newbill halfback pass with 30 seconds to go and win, 24-20.

1999 State Semifinal Game. New Kent vs Madison County. Madison wins a thriller 34-33, behind the play of Raymond Kirkley, who went on to play at Pitt.

2011 Conference Finals. Goochland vs King William. I've had some heartbreaking games as a coach, but as a fan, this might be the hardest defeat to witness. Both teams came in undefeated and the game was as advertised. In the end ,Goochland stops KW on the 3 inch line as time expires and wins 16-12.

Reactions: BlackNgold2005
Coach Kendall Jackson will be leading the AAU program in Sussex this year with Andre Rose.

Easy for me: 2008 Essex at Gretna. Over 1,000 combined yards. Essex trailed 33-14 but scored 4 consecutive TDs to go in front 40-33. Gretna scored twice to go ahead 45-40. Essex got inside Gretna's 5 yard line with less than 3 minutes left, but a holding penalty erased a 25-yard gain. Essex got inside Gretna's 20 but was stopped on downs at the Hawks' 12 with 9 seconds remaining. Essex set a state record with 569 yards, while Gretna amassed 469 yards.

Probably the best game I've ever watched!!!

Best playoff game ever was Gretna @ Christiansburg 2004. Can't recall all the details, but Gretna scored with 12 seconds left, to beat Christiansburg.

And the 2nd best game I've watched. Vic Hall put that team on his back the 2nd half and willed them to a win

2006 Riverheads vs William Campbell . Red Team trailed by 10 with 3 min to go. Fans on the way out had to turn around . Tears became jubilation for some young fans . I had to retake my seat . JMO , but Coach Bradley was not satisfied with a W . He wanted to run the score up and his boys fumbled the ball . If you only could have been there ! Local paper sent no one to Campbell Co. knowing Riverheads had no chance .Paper still sucks !

XCross:

That game ranks right up there with Riverheads' all-time best games. I don't think WC knew what hit them and you are right that Bradley held a grudge and ran up the score as much as he could the next two times we played them.

Since that was a 2006 game, it did not qualify for the paper's top ten countdown (they only wanted the best games of the last ten years), but I would personally put it among RHS's top five all-time games.

XCross:

That game ranks right up there with Riverheads' all-time best games. I don't think WC knew what hit them and you are right that Bradley held a grudge and ran up the score as much as he could the next two times we played them.

Since that was a 2006 game, it did not qualify for the paper's top ten countdown (they only wanted the best games of the last ten years), but I would personally put it among RHS's top five all-time games.

What about the foot out of bounds game against Wilson? Has that one been on there? I know they had another nailbiter in playoffs that year as well I believe

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT