ADVERTISEMENT

The Main Event; Route 5 @ King George

#2 Varina Blue Devils (10-2) @ #1 King George Foxes (12-0)

• Varina

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • King George

Votes: 34 72.3%

• Total voters
My apologies Navy, forgot to answer you. I’m pulling a @HooSprings number when I say, everybody but 1 player in the Varina secondary has multiple D1 offers. That’ll likely change as Myles Anderson is probably Varina’s most consistent corner and will get a lot of love this summer. He’s been lockdown.
@BoKnowsSports, I wasn't necessarily asking about the talent I have seen Varina play. Was a bit more curious about their actual height and weight to see how they physically matched up with #1 and #4.

I also was wondering if you thought Varina would play their base defense or do something different. When Highland Springs and Freedom bit the Blue Devils it was on post, stick routes and quick possession passes. This is where I see the problem. If you lay off the big boys it's hard to tackle them and if you press them they will throw it up and out jump you. #1 runs the post better than most high school players I have seen. He gets the smaller db's on his hip and simply boxes them out.

By your description it sounds like Varina has the defensive backs to make things interesting, but if the coaching staff lets their egos take over and tries to play man it ain't going to be pretty. If Varina can pressure the quarterback they will produce some turnovers. Problem is the KG staff knows Varina's tendencies very well. Dang this is going to be one heck of a battle.

On the flip side I think the Varina offense can hit some big plays, but they cannot just rely on the home run ball. They must establish some sort of running game. If I'm KG I put the big boys on the outside and play nickel. If Varina proves they can run adapt. If not it's 50/50 balls all night.

Chambers did not have a physically imposing secondary or back seven for that matter after losing Dontrae Henderson...

Weddington --

WR Keenan Jackson 6'3" 185
TE Brooks Mauk 6'4" 215
QB Tyler Budge 6'3" 205

QB was 13/28 for 125 yards passing and 57 rushing on 16 carries...182 yards total offense. Held to season low 14 points. Those are D1 guys. Two of them will be P5. And Weddington does their homework and tries to scheme you to death. They're not just throwing the ball up.

Chambers didn't lose because of defense. Couple turnovers and missed FG in the first half was the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: BoKnowsSports
^If you have the athletes in a system, it's who can execute, and make adjustments..People tend to forget, it's not about what you see from the stands, it's what players see on the field. Big difference.

I think some of those injuries hurt Dinwiddie. It's usually not good when you're down to your third string FS, or what have you. It becomes much harder to do the things you want to do. King George also looks to be pretty good.

Last edited:
With KG's offense and Varina's defense this game could be a bit of a stalemate. Conversely, Varina's offense and KG's defense could be equally matched as well. Most every game comes down to not beating yourself so obviously limiting penalties and eliminating turnovers will be a big key for both teams. All those things being equal, this game could come down to special teams play. A big KR or PR could make a big difference. Also the kicking game could be the deciding factor. I have only seen Varina for a half, not live, so IDK their kicking situation, but that KG kicker has a leg- long FG, and a lot of Touchbacks. In a close game field position and kicking could be the deciding factor.

They did beat Varina by 17 last year. . now I don't quite think that's going to happen so what's your reasoning for that?

They have the best weapons remaining in their region. The offense when clicking or at any moment can score, defensively they just need enough stops to let the offense make you one sided. I don’t see Varina scoring enough to beat KG or consistently at all. Varina has a stout defense but there’s too many ways to spread the field and ball to 2 (3 potentially) power 5 wrs, quick game , high low game, rpos, possession catches/routes. How will they defend the foxes is the biggest question mark to me and I think that conundrum will allow for KG to win and in convincing fashion.

They have the best weapons remaining in their region. The offense when clicking or at any moment can score, defensively they just need enough stops to let the offense make you one sided. I don’t see Varina scoring enough to beat KG or consistently at all. Varina has a stout defense but there’s too many ways to spread the field and ball to 2 (3 potentially) power 5 wrs, quick game , high low game, rpos, possession catches/routes. How will they defend the foxes is the biggest question mark to me and I think that conundrum will allow for KG to win and in convincing fashion.
I agree the offensive issues will catch up eventually. I don't think KG will march up and down the field easily but if Varina can't sustain drives the defense will only be able to do but so much.

This is the best defense KG has played but this is also the best offense Varina has played other than Freedom.

I agree the offensive issues will catch up eventually. I don't think KG will march up and down the field easily but if Varina can't sustain drives the defense will only be able to do but so much.

This is the best defense KG has played but this is also the best offense Varina has played other than Freedom.
King George relies on there big play passing game. As far as Varina sustaining drives against King George Hanover moved the ball pretty well on King George and dinwiddie as well. Varina has played two great offenses teams freedom and highland springs. I think highland springs offense is a little better than freedom and most definitely better than King George they just don't rely on the passing game they can score on you many other ways.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
King George relies on there big play passing game. As far as Varina sustaining drives against King George Hanover moved the ball pretty well on King George and dinwiddie as well. Varina has played two great offenses teams freedom and highland springs. I think highland springs offense is a little better than freedom and most definitely better than King George they just don't rely on the passing game they can score on you many other ways.
Bro these people don’t watch these teams play and come on preps and play Monday morning quarterback. To say that KG is beating us by 17 is laughable. We’re not beating them by two touchdowns either! Thats a great team. Much respect to @FoxesPride.

Been watching this thread and enjoying everyone's comments. I agree this will be a great game. While King George is know for their passing attack which is quite impressive, I wouldn't say they can't run the ball. According the the areas leaders list on Frederickesburg.com, they have one RB who has carried 77 times for 775 yards at 10 TDs and another who has carried 52 times for 601 yards and 8 TDs. So they can run the ball. Some in our area think their rushing attack is better this year than last year - it's just from the RB position not the QB position. You can't just focus on stopping the two WRs that get all the press. Eastern View tried that and the other two WRs went wild on them. Also, KG is a threat to score on special teams and defense. They returned a kickoff for a TD last week and during the season had a number of pick 6s. I think, if KG is to be beat, it's most likely going to be by a team with a very good running team.

I can't say as much about Varina because I haven't seen them play except for the last few minute of the Highland Springs game on the live stream. They had every chance to win that game. Highland Spring scored a TD at the end to win. I was also very impressed with how close they played Freedom-Woodbridge. Freedom is a powerhouse that blows everyone out and Varina played them to a 1 TD point difference. Freedom and Highland Springs both have the reputation of teams that don't beat themselves. If you are going to play them close, you have to be good enough to do it.

All this said - I'm going to take King George since the game is at King George. This is why I picked them last week as well. I think the home field (especially not having to make a trip on a bus) will be the key to the game between these two great teams. Have a good one!

Wish this game was being played at Varina, I'd be there for sure. Good luck to Varina as the class 4 Richmond region representative, I'll be pulling for you!

Wish this game was being played at Varina, I'd be there for sure. Good luck to Varina as the class 4 Richmond region representative, I'll be pulling for you!
I understand. I'm in the opposite position...I'm glad it is being played at KG so I can get over to it and pulling for KG because its more local to me than Varina.

@BoKnowsSports Hope to finally catch up with you.

I understand. I'm in the opposite position...I'm glad it is being played at KG so I can get over to it and pulling for KG because its more local to me than Varina.

@BoKnowsSports Hope to finally catch up with you.
Can’t wait brother. I’m probably more excited than the kids 😂. Safe travels bro. I plan to make a post Saturday morning about a meetup in the stadium before kickoff.

All year the one constant with King George is they’ve been susceptible to a power running game. The only team that had success passing on them was EV. Hanover did a pretty good job throwing the ball with play action passes but as far as drop back passes King George plays those very well. Varina covering 2 6’4 monsters on the outside who can flat out fly is going to be interesting but those aren’t the only weapons they have on offense. IMO Varinas best chance in this game will be getting multiple turnovers, pressuring the QB and not allowing him to see his targets. He he consistently has time to throw this game could get ugly quick. I’m going with KG 35-17. At home in an electric atmosphere I think Varina keeps it close until the 4th when KG forces Varina to pass more which plays into their strengths on defense

Reactions: Kangarew113
Going back to last season into this season EV held KG scoreless for 4 consecutive quarters and lost both games. When they get going, they're tough to stop. I picked Dinwiddie last week, but going with KG in this one. I'm usually wrong though.

All year the one constant with King George is they’ve been susceptible to a power running game. The only team that had success passing on them was EV. Hanover did a pretty good job throwing the ball with play action passes but as far as drop back passes King George plays those very well. Varina covering 2 6’4 monsters on the outside who can flat out fly is going to be interesting but those aren’t the only weapons they have on offense. IMO Varinas best chance in this game will be getting multiple turnovers, pressuring the QB and not allowing him to see his targets. He he consistently has time to throw this game could get ugly quick. I’m going with KG 35-17. At home in an electric atmosphere I think Varina keeps it close until the 4th when KG forces Varina to pass more which plays into their strengths on defense
Respect you big bro.. IMO you was one of the best to do it during our time in high school (same breath as Frank Mason, Duke Green and Yahkee who are all legends in my boat), but Varina dominated Indian River (beat Green Run to advance to the state semi’s), lost to Highland Springs by 1 (Springers DOMINATED today to get to the state semi’s), and lost to the C6 state championship favorite, Freedom, by 7. No way is KG beating them by 18 points big dawg.

Reactions: General172011
It really doesn't matter who wins phebous is four TDs better than both teams. I have no dog in this fight.
What are you basing your opinion off of, Phoebus has not played anybody, Warwick and Oscar Smith were their toughest opponents, and both of them got blown out in the playoffs. If phoebus would have Varina schedule they would be 10-2 also.

Everybody thinks their team can defend these guys. It just ain't easy for a hs defensive backfield to do it and stop the run too. I am no genius, but I know a tough task when I see it. Saw it up close and personal on the sideline.

In all respect I gave @BoKnowsSports an opportunity to detail how Varina intended to defend the KG receivers. Looks like he isn't the only Blue Devil without an answer. Varina is hanging tough and can surely answer.

What’s the score? I’m trying to watch both games at once. Phoebus score has the scoreboard but this game on NFHS doesn’t even tell us the name of the school smh

A fumble & bad play calling are the only reason it’s not 21-0 rn. Varina is holding on, they need a score badly

Last edited:
Reactions: OCBoy
I see a lot of should’ve could’ve would’ve. Varina dropped a wide open touchdown and the refs gave KG a gift on 4th down when we stopped them with the phantom hold. Y’all just be talking.

@BleedingNavy you’re a smart man.. Other than that TD catch, Varina has done a great job on defense and held their own on those “unguardable” receivers. What are you watching so different?

Point blank, Varina is getting outcoached. That’s been the biggest difference. The playcalling and execution on offense is ugly. Still a half of football left.

Reactions: Kangarew113
The game is going about as expected honestly. Far from over, but Varina is just going to have to hopefully hit on some jump balls. That's the only way I see them scoring.

Reactions: mbonape1
Varina gotta run the football. KG’s best players play both ways. Gonna have to wear them down.

KG left 3 on the field when they went for it on 4th down and didn't get it. We'll see if not having that 3 comes into play.
I would’ve went for it too. KG is playing with intensity. Varina hasn’t matched that yet.

I understand why they went for it - thinking they need 7 instead of 3 in a game like this, The other train of thought is in these games. when you can get points in games like this, get them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT