ADVERTISEMENT

The Main Event; Route 5 @ King George

#2 Varina Blue Devils (10-2) @ #1 King George Foxes (12-0)

• Varina

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • King George

Votes: 34 72.3%

• Total voters

BoKnowsSports

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Sep 19, 2021
Who’s winning the GAUNTLET Region B Championship Game?

Mannnnnnnn, King George is LOADED. I told you all not to sleep on that defense either. To hold Dinwiddie to only 28 points is tough. They can score in a hurry which will give them the edge over a Varina offense that has been inconsistent to say the least. They have P5 playmakers everywhere.

My Route 5 Boyz have a damn good team too. Yes, the offense is inconsistent but guess what? We’re winning and lost to the two best teams in 6A by a combined TD and extra point. KG sent Varina home last year and Varina beat KG the previous year on their way to winning the state championship. DaMari D1 Carter is HIM. Had a 99 yard TD and the game winning TD catch on Friday. Liberty Commit Eric Smith and FCS prospects Jordan Edwards and Taevon Gilpin can take it to the house on any given plays as well. How about that Varina D? D1 prospects Darius Wilson (class of 2025) and Bull Richardson (class of 2026) form ARGUABLY the best DL in C4.

Look that’s my best @BleedingNavy impression.

Looking forward to this one! Hope to meet my guys @FoxesPride and @GoBlue2109.

Mannnnnnnn, King George is LOADED. I told you all not to sleep on that defense either. To hold Dinwiddie to only 28 points is tough. They can score in a hurry which will give them the edge over a Varina offense that has been inconsistent to say the least. They have P5 playmakers everywhere.

My Route 5 Boyz have a damn good team too. Yes, the offense is inconsistent but guess what? We’re winning and lost to the two best teams in 6A by a combined TD and extra point. KG sent Varina home last year and Varina beat KG the previous year on their way to winning the state championship. DaMari D1 Carter is HIM. Had a 99 yard TD and the game winning TD catch on Friday. Liberty Commit Eric Smith and FCS prospects Jordan Edwards and Taevon Gilpin can take it to the house on any given plays as well. How about that Varina D? D1 prospects Darius Wilson (class of 2025) and Bull Richardson (class of 2026) form ARGUABLY the best DL in C4.

Looking forward to this one! Hope to meet my guys @FoxesPride and @GoBlue21l
[/QUOTE]

Looking forward to this one! Hope to meet my guys @FoxesPride and @GoBlue2109.
I agree that Varina has a lot of talented players and with all the names above I agree 100%

I agree that Varina has a lot of talented players and with all the names above I agree 100%
I'm a die hard Varina fan only miss nine games in 30 years. with all that talent that Varina has on offense it's just not clicking. This is just my opinion the only way Varina wins this game is with good defense which they have and they start the freshman quarterback when he's in the game the offense moves the ball. I don't think Varina has the offensive line for a one-dimensional drop back quarterback.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
I'm a die hard Varina fan only miss nine games in 30 years. with all that talent that Varina has on offense it's just not clicking. This is just my opinion the only way Varina wins this game is with good defense which they have and they start the freshman quarterback when he's in the game the offense moves the ball. I don't think Varina has the offensive line for a one-dimensional drop back quarterback.
note: King George would be 10 and 2 if they played Varinas schedule

What will be the deciding factor is QB play for both teams. In the games that Varina lost this year, and even the close wins over Herm and Huguenot, the QB being able to extend plays is a big reasons those teams were able to beat/almost beat Varina. As far as QB play for Varina goes, it’s gotten a lot better. Both QBs bring strengths to the table. Wood’s father is a Huguenot coach and I believe that affected his confidence the other night and the fumble by Eric Smith after a huge gain and drop by Gilpin didn’t help. People talk about their offense but forget that every big game this year, they’ve shown up.

Reactions: CHUKNOW
I have said from the end of last season that KG would win this region so I have to stick with that pick now. Everyone knows about White and Wiggins as the 2 stud WRs for KG but #6 Gunnar Regar is a beast too! He would be most teams #1 WR but he just happens to be on the same team as the two best HS WR prospects in VA. He benefits from that as well because teams place so much focus on White and Wiggins that he is often times 1v1 against other teams 3rd or 4th best cover guys. With all that being said, KG has to be able to run the ball just enough to make the Varina LBs and DL respect the run which will open up the passing game. KG also has the advantage in kicking game JMU commit Max Lipinski will kick touchbacks every time and he's automatic on FG from 45 or shorter.

KG 24 Varina 14

It really doesn't matter who wins phebous is four TDs better than both teams. I have no dog in this fight.
If neither freedom, nor highland springs could beat Varina by four touchdowns,Phoebus damn sure ain’t doing it. Both of those teams are better than Phoebus! I don’t know much about King George other than they have three fantastic WRs, and as much as I hate Varina(east end rivalry), nobody is beating them by four touchdowns!

Varina’s schedule is far far better than KG’s and that’s not a knock on the Foxes. Varina’s opponents in their respective Regional Championships: Indian River, Highland Springs, and Freedom. All 3 teams could possibly be playing next Saturday. Though KG is very good, they won’t have anything that Varina hasn’t seen.

Varina’s schedule is far far better than KG’s and that’s not a knock on the Foxes. Varina’s opponents in their respective Regional Championships: Indian River, Highland Springs, and Freedom. All 3 teams could possibly be playing next Saturday. Though KG is very good, they won’t have anything that Varina hasn’t seen.
I respect your opinion but I think you might be wrong about the last sentence. Wiggins and White are unreal bruh. I don't know if you have seen them in person this year but I have never seen a WR like either of them in my 16 years of coaching HS, let alone 2 of them on the same team! I don't know how or if that effects the outcome of the game but I do know that no one else in the state has 2 WRs with the build and skill set that White and Wiggins has.

Reactions: Tspillman03
I think a lot of people’s feelings are hurt that they picked Dinwiddie over KG last week and were wayyy wrong. I warned you all that Dinwiddie’s secondary was very venerable if the front 7 was not able to pressure the QB. The game is won in the trenches and Dinwiddie was very small on both lines.

Varina is a totally different beast. Y’all look too much at their offense (which isn’t as bad as y’all make it seem), but their defense is arguably amongst the state’s best regardless of classification. They are nasty and will give KG’s QB fits. They have the secondary (like Huguenot) to match those great KG receivers. KG has seen nothing like that Blue Devil defense all year.

@VolNation85 Varina’s kicking game is very very good too. How do you think their lack of offensive production has been able to produce a 10-2 record with the schedule that they’ve played? When the offense clunks out, they can hit field goals from 40 and their punt team does a great job of pinning teams deep.

To @HooSprings point, Varina is an elite team who lacks an offensive identity. In the games that they were supposed to get blown out in, the offense stepped up big.

@BoKnowsSports Good stuff. I most likely will be watching from home this weekend though.

Funny enough I did have King George over Varina and Dinwiddie in my preseason rankings so I'm not surprised they are in the 4B championship again. My main reason was the WR's. Nobody in the state other than maybe Freedom and Maury has that type of firepower. And they actually have a well designed offense to get those guys open. I said Dinwiddie's defense was a concern for me coming into the season and Varina's offense was a concern to me. I think both of those things proved to be pretty true so far.

As for this matchup I think King George wins 28-14. Dinwiddie ran for over 300 yards last week and was held to 29 points and Hanover also had success running the ball. Varina doesn't run the football and that plays right into the strength of King George's defense. Varina has a boat load of talent. I think for the 1st time in years they had slightly more overall talent than HSHS. But KG Has 3 D1 guys in their defensive backfield who you can't just run past. If this turns into a "who can throw the ball better" contest, that favors King George. King George doesn't run as well as last year but they still do run good enough to keep you honest. King George has been stopped a couple of times this year so that is very possible and Varina should be the best defense they've played this year, but I just can't see Varina's offense cashing in on those opportunities when they happen.

Reactions: VolNation85
I respect your opinion but I think you might be wrong about the last sentence. Wiggins and White are unreal bruh. I don't know if you have seen them in person this year but I have never seen a WR like either of them in my 16 years of coaching HS, let alone 2 of them on the same team! I don't know how or if that affects the outcome of the game but I do know that no one else in the state has 2 WRs with the build and skill set that White and Wiggins has.
I’ve coached against them twice and saw KG play twice this year. Have you seen Varina’s secondary?! We’ve also seen Henley, Lovelace & Braxton (Springs), Dabney & Lewis (Huguenot) plus that ALL STAR team at Freedom. Those guys are good at KG but Varina will be more than ready.

Dinwiddie didn't get beat, because they had small lines. @BoKnowsSports Dinwiddie ran for 340 yards and threw for 220. That's 560 yards of offense. The only reason the Generals could not match scores is because they had no receivers left and were forced to pass.

Dinwiddie lost, because our defensive backs could not cover the talented KG receivers PERIOD. Even if at full strength not sure ifwe could have contained the KG offense; however, playing with a third team free safety (#47) and a lb at cornerback #24 against the KG receivers was disastrous.

If you watched the game the King George coaching staffed corrected the pass blocking issues by utilizing two step drops and rub routes to get their kids open. Their quarterback threw where nobody could catch, but their 6'4" beasts. Men against boys.

If Varina is able to play press coverage or a nickle and get help over the top they can beat KG. Offensively, if you can't run on the Foxes you will not win. Varina has the defense to win. The Blue Devils can put up 28 points then it's a game.

Didn't say anything earlier, because Navy Nation offers no excuses. Some of you sideline critics need to know for the record, Dinwiddie lost their third best player Wiggins (fs, wr) before the Petersburg game, Bishop ( starting de, wr) after Petersburg, Boisseau (starting wr, DB) last week, and Johnson (starting wr/db) during the game.

Extremely proud of the freshman and sophomores that stepped up and beat Matoaca and EV, and went toe to toe with KG.

I’ve coached against them twice and saw KG play twice this year. Have you seen Varina’s secondary?! We’ve also seen Henley, Lovelace & Braxton (Springs), Dabney & Lewis (Huguenot) plus that ALL STAR team at Freedom. Those guys are good at KG but Varina will be more than ready.
I have not seen Varina in person this year but I watched them online vs Freedom, HSHS, and Hermitage. I agree, they are very good in the secondary. I don't doubt one bit that Varina will be ready but I also believe that Wiggins and White will be the best WR they have faced all year. Both things can be true.

Well, Varina has the secondary to compete with those talented receivers. I’m not saying this in no way disrespect, but people can’t base what KG did to Dinwiddie to what’s going to happen on Saturday. Varina’s defense is better than a healthy Dinwiddie defense. Look at the resume for the Blue Devils is what I’ll end with. Go Route 5!

Well, Varina has the secondary to compete with those talented receivers. I’m not saying this in no way disrespect, but people can’t base what KG did to Dinwiddie to what’s going to happen on Saturday. Varina’s defense is better than a healthy Dinwiddie defense. Look at the resume for the Blue Devils is what I’ll end with. Go Route 5!
No doubt! As good as I think KG WRs are, I believe Varina's defense is equally as good. Just like I believe White, Wiggins, and Regar are the best WR trio Varina has faced, I also believe Varina will be the best defense that KG has faced. it should be a great and fun game to watch.

I wish I could see it but I'll be in Lynchburg so I plan to go watch Salem/Glass.

I agree 100%. Varina's defense is far better; however, you still have to make a decision on how to play KG. Nickle, press with help or cover 2. Zone will not work. @BoKnowsSports, does Varina have decent size at the corners? I was on the sidelines Friday night and the speed and strength of KG's three receivers is daunting. They high point everything and are tough to bring down on contact. Please explain how you think Varina will defend these guys. A pass rush is useless if the ball is gone in 2 seconds.

Dinwiddie didn't get beat, because they had small lines. @BoKnowsSports Dinwiddie ran for 340 yards and threw for 220. That's 560 yards of offense. The only reason the Generals could not match scores is because they had no receivers left and were forced to pass.

Dinwiddie lost, because our defensive backs could not cover the talented KG receivers PERIOD. Even if at full strength not sure ifwe could have contained the KG offense; however, playing with a third team free safety (#47) and a lb at cornerback #24 against the KG receivers was disastrous.

If you watched the game the King George coaching staffed corrected the pass blocking issues by utilizing two step drops and rub routes to get their kids open. Their quarterback threw where nobody could catch, but their 6'4" beasts. Men against boys.

If Varina is able to play press coverage or a nickle and get help over the top they can beat KG. Offensively, if you can't run on the Foxes you will not win. Varina has the defense to win. The Blue Devils can put up 28 points then it's a game.

Didn't say anything earlier, because Navy Nation offers no excuses. Some of you sideline critics need to know for the record, Dinwiddie lost their third best player Wiggins (fs, wr) before the Petersburg game, Bishop ( starting de, wr) after Petersburg, Boisseau (starting wr, DB) last week, and Johnson (starting wr/db) during the game.

Extremely proud of the freshman and sophomores that stepped up and beat Matoaca and EV, and went toe to toe with KG.
Our local paper stat line had Dinwiddie running 91 plays for a little over 500yds and KG running 28 plays for a little over 400yds. Crazy difference in the number of plays run.

I agree 100%. Varina's defense is far better; however, you still have to make a decision on how to play KG. Nickle, press with help or cover 2. Zone will not work. @BoKnowsSports, does Varina have decent size at the corners? I was on the sidelines Friday night and the speed and strength of KG's three receivers is daunting. They high point everything and are tough to bring down on contact. Please explain how you think Varina will defend these guys. A pass rush is useless if the ball is gone in 2 seconds.

Square up, inside shade, outside step. Help over the top. Jetstream rubs and crossing routes.

Sometimes you just get beat physically by a better team and there's not a lot you can do about it with scheme or technique...Tip your hat, say good game, see you next year.

Last edited:
Our local paper stat line had Dinwiddie running 91 plays for a little over 500yds and KG running 28 plays for a little over 400yds. Crazy difference in the number of plays run.
@FoxesPride, I would have thought y'all had 1,000 yards in offense. 😂 That first offensive pass play for KG was phenomenal. I am not sure how many HS teams could/would defend it correctly. The actual verified stats (in person and video) for Dinwiddie was 92 plays. 58 runs for 340 yards and 17/34 pass attempts for 222.

Good luck on Saturday. Both teams are special and the talent on display will be a great watch. I am a 804 guy and love Varina's defense, so I am leaning in that direction. Just need more information on the Varina db's before I can make an informed decision. Video does not do the Foxes receiving corps justice, nor does watching them from the stands. Just saying.

Again Varina's offense is the key. If they cannot keep KG honest with running the ball then it's going to beca tough get for Varina.

The other thing you can do is give different looks pre-snap. I haven't seen many QBs at the high school level (even good ones) that can make pure progression reads before things break down. They usually get lost on about the second one looking at the defense instead of just playing streetball.

But I don't know anything about King George's offense...If they can get the ball out to one of those WRs that could obviously be a problem.

Varina did lose some guys in the secondary in the games I watched, but pressure was usually getting home..

Last edited:
@FoxesPride, I would have thought y'all had 1,000 yards in offense. 😂 That first offensive pass play for KG was phenomenal. I am not sure how many HS teams could/would defend it correctly. The actual verified stats (in person and video) for Dinwiddie was 92 plays. 58 runs for 340 yards and 17/34 pass attempts for 222.

Good luck on Saturday. Both teams are special and the talent on display will be a great watch. I am a 804 guy and love Varina's defense, so I am leaning in that direction. Just need more information on the Varina db's before I can make an informed decision. Video does not do the Foxes receiving corps justice, nor does watching them from the stands. Just saying.

Again Varina's offense is the key. If they cannot keep KG honest with running the ball then it's going to beca tough get for Varina.
"
Video does not do the Foxes receiving corps justice, nor does watching them from the stands"
You hit the nail on the head with this! I coach at Brooke Point in Stafford now and we played them week 1. When #1 and #4 walked past me pre-game, I couldn't believe how muscular they were and they towered over me! I'm 6'3' 250lbs for reference.

What all will Dinwiddie bring back? Dinwiddie had a good team. Solid year imo. I feel like their schedule hurt them a little with seeding, but it's an overall positive. You probably won't see many teams with that level of talent at the skill positions very often.

Last edited:
One thing that really made a difference was yards after catch. Especially #1. Strong, agile, and shifty.

Country Club, I’m told that we are graduating four strong impact players. (Plus a few others). Sadly, one of those is #5, Tucker. What a beast he has been.

"

You hit the nail on the head with this! I coach at Brooke Point in Stafford now and we played them week 1. When #1 and #4 walked past me pre-game, I couldn't believe how muscular they were and they towered over me! I'm 6'3' 250lbs for reference.
Bro I don’t say things to come off brash, but Varina has some dogs in their secondary. Let’s run it up…..Myles Anderson, D1 Carter (8 P5 offers off of JV and will double that this offseason), Eric Smith (committed to Liberty), Kiah Moore (multiple FCS offers), Tee Jay Cheatham (multiple FCS offers) and the best rover in the C4 in Elijah Brown (multiple FCS offers, will get a P5 after the season). I expect KG’s WRs to make plays but people talk like Varina doesn’t have STUDS either. Varina is the best team KG has seen from top to bottom all year 💯. You follow me, go look at all of the athletes on my page 😂

Bro I don’t say things to come off brash, but Varina has some dogs in their secondary. Look up Myles Anderson, D1 Carter (8 P5 offers off of JV and will double that this offseason), Eric Smith (committed to Liberty), Kiah Moore (multiple FCS offers), Tee Jay Cheatham (multiple FCS offers) and the best rover in the C4 in Elijah Brown (multiple FCS offers, will get a P5 after the season). I expect KG’s WRs to make plays but people talk like Varina doesn’t have STUDS either. Varina is the best team KG has seen from top to bottom all year 💯. You follow me, go look at all of the athletes on my page 😂
I'm not questioning Varina's defense at all! I have watched them online 3 times this year! They are legit! I said earlier that I agree with you about their secondary. My respect and opinion of KG is no reflection on Varina. All I know is when Wiggins and White walked past me before the start of our game, I couldn't believe how muscular they were! None of that has anything to do with my opinion of Varina. I predicted a score of 24-14 because I expect Varina's defense to be the biggest challenge they've faced. I have nothing but respect for Marcus, his staff, and his players.

I'm not questioning Varina's defense at all! I have watched them online 3 times this year! They are legit! I said earlier that I agree with you about their secondary. My respect and opinion of KG is no reflection on Varina. All I know is when Wiggins and White walked past me before the start of our game, I couldn't believe how muscular they were! None of that has anything to do with my opinion of Varina. I predicted a score of 24-14 because I expect Varina's defense to be the biggest challenge they've faced. I have nothing but respect for Marcus, his staff, and his players.
Respect back to you Coach. It’s gonna be a dog fight for sure! Wish you could make it up. I’m thinking about coming to Glass/Salem Friday so I’ll hit you up if I do.

My apologies Navy, forgot to answer you. I’m pulling a @HooSprings number when I say, everybody but 1 player in the Varina secondary has multiple D1 offers. That’ll likely change as Myles Anderson is probably Varina’s most consistent corner and will get a lot of love this summer. He’s been lockdown.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT