ADVERTISEMENT

This one may be controversial, but here goes.

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
There was a brief discussion on another thread that mentioned fan behavior, (actually mis-behavior). LCA fan behavior at a public/private school game was mentioned. It got me to thinking about my experiences years ago with a private school.

I was a parent of a child that went to private school for 12 years. (She actually asked to go to public school for her 13th and senior year). Not only was I a parent, I was a member of the school board for a significant number of years. As such, I was heavily involved in most aspects of day to day events at the school.

Looking back, do I think private school fans are any different than public school fans, at sporting events? Yes, to the extent explained below.

I'll use the word "fans" but I'm primarily speaking of vested fans such as parents, grand parents, and other relatives.

Many of these "fans" were vested because of their financial commitment to the school. As a result, there is a strong sentiment by most that they paid for the right to express their opinions. This "investment" is a marked difference from public schools.

Additionally, there is a sentiment, sometimes suttle, sometimes loudly expressed, that their kids are different and better, than kids that attend public school. Most believe that the private schools are safer and more disciplined than the public schools. As a result, when presented with the parents and kids of public schools at events, there is a chip on their shoulder that sometimes leads to bad behavior.

There is another factor that is difficult to discuss, but we all know is real. That is the race card. Private schools are overwhelming white. And as much as no one wants to admit it, many parents choose the private school option because they don't want their kids going to school with "black" kids.

I witnessed this firsthand on many many occasions. There were parents that were, simply put, "outwardly racist". Most were not, but a significant number were. So when these fans go to a sporting event, especially if it's against a school that they feel culturally superior to, you can occasionally expect to see some rude fan behavior.

Are these factors still in play as much as they were back in the 80's and 90's when I was involved with a private school? Yes, I think there has been very little change.

To clarify my personal stance, I am a lot of things, but I am not a racist. But neither am I a bleeding heart liberal. I guess if you wanted to put a label on me, I would suggest "realist". I try to see people, all people, for what they are.

Sadly, we all encounter rude, unreasonable people from time to time. For us dedicated, diehard high school football fans, we are especially troubled when this occurs at the occasion of our favorite pastime. I wish had the answer.

(Edit)
I felt it was important to come back and add an additional statement. The "chip on the shoulder", the "resentment of the cultural difference", the "additional resentment of a perception of privalage", and the "spector of racism" works BOTH ways.

Last edited:
Most people in the world are good by nature, IMO. Unfortunately, it's also filled with a lot of idiots of all kinds.

There was a brief discussion on another thread that mentioned fan behavior, (actually mis-behavior). LCA fan behavior at a public/private school game was mentioned. It got me to thinking about my experiences years ago with a private school.

I was a parent of a child that went to private school for 12 years. (She actually asked to go to public school for her 13th and senior year). Not only was I a parent, I was a member of the school board for a significant number of years. As such, I was heavily involved in most aspects of day to day events at the school.

Looking back, do I think private school fans are any different than public school fans, at sporting events? Yes, to the extent explained below.

I'll use the word "fans" but I'm primarily speaking of vested fans such as parents, grand parents, and other relatives.

Many of these "fans" were vested because of their financial commitment to the school. As a result, there is a strong sentiment by most that they paid for the right to express their opinions. This "investment" is a marked difference from public schools.

Additionally, there is a sentiment, sometimes suttle, sometimes loudly expressed, that their kids are different and better, than kids that attend public school. Most believe that the private schools are safer and more disciplined than the public schools. As a result, when presented with the parents and kids of public schools at events, there is a chip on their shoulder that sometimes leads to bad behavior.

There is another factor that is difficult to discuss, but we all know is real. That is the race card. Private schools are overwhelming white. And as much as no one wants to admit it, many parents choose the private school option because they don't want their kids going to school with "black" kids.

I witnessed this firsthand on many many occasions. There were parents that were, simply put, "outwardly racist". Most were not, but a significant number were. So when these fans go to a sporting event, especially if it's against a school that they feel culturally superior to, you can occasionally expect to see some rude fan behavior.

Are these factors still in play as much as they were back in the 80's and 90's when I was involved with a private school? Yes, I think there has been very little change.

To clarify my personal stance, I am a lot of things, but I am not a racist. But neither am I a bleeding heart liberal. I guess if you wanted to put a label on me, I would suggest "realist". I try to see people, all people, for what they are.

Sadly, we all encounter rude, unreasonable people from time to time. For us dedicated, diehard high school football fans, we are especially troubled when this occurs at the occasion of our favorite pastime. I wish had the answer.

(Edit)
I felt it was important to come back and add an additional statement. The "chip on the shoulder", the "resentment of the cultural difference", the "additional resentment of a perception of privalage", and the "spector of racism" works BOTH ways.
Some of the private schools that a referee might think would be a good place to officiate a game are not so so good. Some of the public schools you would think are terrible places to go are pretty darn good with great fans. Dinwiddie you are spot on and things have really not changed a lot in the last few years.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Some of the private schools that a referee might think would be a good place to officiate a game are not so so good. Some of the public schools you would think are terrible places to go are pretty darn good with great fans. Dinwiddie you are spot on and things have really not changed a lot in the last few years.
Thank you.

(Edit)

OH boy, this may go south real fast! Last time I brought up the race issue on these boards, I was crucified! I was basically saying there is a different mentality in the way some schools in SWVA (majority white) treating other areas of the state that are 50/50 black/white. Not going to get into that, but most on board are in denial about it.
With that being said, I was at a LCA 7 on 7 event years ago when my son played and this WR that was known in the area called my son racial slurs throughout the game. My son was getting the best of him and he called him various names due to frustration. I called the high school coach and youth leader at LCA about it. Both said they would talk to him about his remarks. What is crazy is, his inappropriate behavior continued on the basketball court as well.

I live in the area and I dont see anything different at the games when public schools play LCA or any other private school. I see the similar behaviors. Sooooo.....I cant agree that private schools display more misbehavior in comparison to public schools.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
OH boy, this may go south real fast! Last time I brought up the race issue on these boards, I was crucified! I was basically saying there is a different mentality in the way some schools in SWVA (majority white) treating other areas of the state that are 50/50 black/white. Not going to get into that, but most on board are in denial about it.
With that being said, I was at a LCA 7 on 7 event years ago when my son played and this WR that was known in the area called my son racial slurs throughout the game. My son was getting the best of him and he called him various names due to frustration. I called the high school coach and youth leader at LCA about it. Both said they would talk to him about his remarks. What is crazy is, his inappropriate behavior continued on the basketball court as well.

I live in the area and I dont see anything different at the games when public schools play LCA or any other private school. I see the similar behaviors. Sooooo.....I cant agree that private schools display more misbehavior in comparison to public schools.
I appreciate that because this stuff does happen. No one can deny it. Not trying to expound on my boys again but this doesn't happen at Courtland. You go there, you don't play. Period. Works for them.

Reactions: gwb16
I think you make a valid point Dinwiddie and it is a mix of a variety of factors including race and elitist attitude. I think the biggest factor, and this may be a part of the elitist attitude, is just a general sense of entitlement. Pardon my generalization but, in addition to the so called well heeled attendees you generally have two other kinds of athletes at private schools. Some are really great players often courted/recruited to play for the school while the other are kids that were either not quite good enough to cut it against public school competition or they or their parents thought they were not fairly evaluated at their former school. This creates that sense of entitlement I am referring to. Please note, this generalization does not apply to ALL kids in these programs as I have seen some really good athletes at these schools that were there due to academic, religious or personal considerations that were not in any way connected to their athletic pursuits, however, these situations, in my experience, are in the minority compared to the ones previously referenced.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT