ADVERTISEMENT

This week in the Seminole #6

Aug 12, 2016
Seminole/Dogwood
For some, it’s time for a miracle, for others it’s holding onto the high seed for the coveted home field advantage. The two Lynchburg city schools are attempting to make the road to the finals come through the Hill City.

Amherst (5-3, 4-1) at Heritage (7-1, 4-1)

This game features the two best running backs in the district in Frank Ross for Amherst and Elijah Davis for Heritage. Amherst won a shootout last week, and kept their playoff hopes alive. Now they travel to City Stadium two weeks in a row and take on two of the best Seminole teams back to back. Heritage is currently ranked second in Region 3C power points, but they have two Class 4 teams remaining and could vault back to the number one seed with a victory.

Glass (7-1, 4-1) at LCA (3-5, 2-3)

Rylan Stamm and Eddie Ogle put up some eye popping numbers last week in Amherst. The LCA offense has been explosive this season averaging almost 35 points per game. Williams Stadium will play host to the final home game of the season for the Bulldogs, who will be tested by a Hilltopper squad on a mission. EC Glass is currently ranked #1 in region 4D, and have been led by Matthew MacCullom and Thomas Patterson.

Rustburg (2-6, 0-5) at Jefferson Forest (4-4, 3-2)

Both teams have been riddled with injuries, and are turning the reigns over to their third string quarterbacks. However, this game features two of the best offensive linemen in the Seminole. LG Orville “O.P. “ Peterson for Jefferson Forest, and RG Logan Reusser for Rustburg are first team all-district players at their positions and will lead the way in the trenches. Rustburg is on the outside looking into the playoffs and desperately need a win to make the post season.

Brookville (6-2, 3-2) at Liberty (2-6, 0-5)

Brookville is currently holding the #1 seed in region 3C, and Tanner Bernard has lead the offense to an average of 31 points a game. The Bees will travel to a place that has been an Achilles heel in the past. In 2015, they were upset 40-34 in Bedford. Liberty has been riddled with injuries, but they continue to give maximum effort. Senior night in Bedford will feature a Minutemen squad looking for an upset.

Hert +21
ECG +14
JF + 21
Bees +14

Are you serious that Rustburg can make it into the playoffs??

Hert +21
ECG +14
JF + 21
Bees +14

Are you serious that Rustburg can make it into the playoffs??
Yes, technically they can. They are currently in 9th place by about .3 points. If they beat JF and Liberty then they will probably be in. Region 3C isn't very strong after the top 4 teams (Brookville, Heritage, Monticello, Spotswood).

Last edited:
Yes, technically they can. They are currently in 9th place by about .3 points. If they beat JF and Liberty then they will probably be in. Region 3C isn't very strong after the top 4 teams (Brookville, Heritage, Monticello, Spotswood).
This system is messed up

The current power point system is the fairest manner into which account for the compendium of schools across the Commonwealth. Certain geographic areas have a disparity in the enrollment numbers. To account for travel the points are designed so no team gets punished or rewarded for playing teams within their district/area. No mass system will ever be perfect.
Within the regions you will see an additional disparity. For example, a team may need 19 pts to qualify in one region, while a school in a different region may only need 17pts. In football terms, remember back to 2010 NFL season when the 7-9 Seattle Seahawks hosted the 11-5 New Orleans Saints in the playoffs. The system rewarded Seattle for winning their division.
Rustburg and Liberty have the same record at 2-6, but the Minutemen have a victory over C6 Franklin County. That earns them more points than the Devils victory over C4 Bassett. With two games remaining a win(s) by either Rustburg or Liberty can move them up in points. In addition, either team can achieve additional points from the teams they have beaten (L-Franklin Co. 3 wins, Christiansburg 0,R- Bassett 0, AltaVista 1). Ironically, Liberty travels to Rustburg next week.

The current power point system is the fairest manner into which account for the compendium of schools across the Commonwealth. Certain geographic areas have a disparity in the enrollment numbers. To account for travel the points are designed so no team gets punished or rewarded for playing teams within their district/area. No mass system will ever be perfect.
Within the regions you will see an additional disparity. For example, a team may need 19 pts to qualify in one region, while a school in a different region may only need 17pts. In football terms, remember back to 2010 NFL season when the 7-9 Seattle Seahawks hosted the 11-5 New Orleans Saints in the playoffs. The system rewarded Seattle for winning their division.
Rustburg and Liberty have the same record at 2-6, but the Minutemen have a victory over C6 Franklin County. That earns them more points than the Devils victory over C4 Bassett. With two games remaining a win(s) by either Rustburg or Liberty can move them up in points. In addition, either team can achieve additional points from the teams they have beaten (L-Franklin Co. 3 wins, Christiansburg 0,R- Bassett 0, AltaVista 1). Ironically, Liberty travels to Rustburg next week.
I understand but no one with a losing record deserves to make the playoffs. Just my opinion

I understand but no one with a losing record deserves to make the playoffs. Just my opinion
I value your opinion, but I respectfully disagree. I know a lot of kids that would give anything to play one more game even if the odds are totally stacked against them. For the seniors of these two schools and several others I am sure they would beg to have one more chance. For most players the journey ends after high school, so let them try for the miracle upset.

I value your opinion, but I respectfully disagree. I know a lot of kids that would give anything to play one more game even if the odds are totally stacked against them. For the seniors of these two schools and several others I am sure they would beg to have one more chance. For most players the journey ends after high school, so let them try for the miracle upset.
An upset would be nice for a school that was not expected to make playoffs. The system still needs to be looked at. On the side of this, is it fair for a team to go an 9-1 and not make playoffs?

This isn’t cupcake league sir,
An upset would be nice for a school that was not expected to make playoffs. The system still needs to be looked at. On the side of this, is it fair for a team to go an 9-1 and not make playoffs?
where has 9-1 not made the playoffs? Also , wikki I am with you , this isn’t middle school where every player gets a trophy. If you have a losing record , no way you should be in the playoffs.

Reactions: ClarkeFan83
Haha. Funny with the witty participation trophy comment Classic. By the way do you remember who won the game between the 7-9 Seahawks and the 11-5 Saints. I’ll give you a hint it wasn’t the Saints. Every year several teams get in with a sub 500 mark and every year someone says they shouldn’t. At the end of the day what does it really hurt? Cinderella stories make sports exciting. I.e March madness. In the end, the best team will win

Haha. Funny with the witty participation trophy comment Classic. By the way do you remember who won the game between the 7-9 Seahawks and the 11-5 Saints. I’ll give you a hint it wasn’t the Saints. Every year several teams get in with a sub 500 mark and every year someone says they shouldn’t. At the end of the day what does it really hurt? Cinderella stories make sports exciting. I.e March madness. In the end, the best team will win
100% agree.

This system is messed up
I would have to agree.

I don't think teams with losing records should make playoffs. "Hey guys, we are 2-7 but if we win tonight we make playoffs!!"
I thought playoffs meant you earned your spot to be there.

where has 9-1 not made the playoffs? Also , wikki I am with you , this isn’t middle school where every player gets a trophy. If you have a losing record , no way you should be in the playoffs.
Just using as example to make a point. I know and 8-2 didn’t make it before

Reactions: iskolinbckers
I’m with you. Let em go. The team with the bad record has nothing to lose so I say let them play. I like the way it is now.

GW Danville went 9-1 in 1993 only losing to a stout EC Glass team by 1 point, and missed the playoffs. GW sued the VHSL to try to get in, but didn’t. Much better for losing teams to get in than for winning teams not to.

I rather have a team with a 4-6 record that plays a tough schedule in playoffs than a 8-2 record that plays a soft schedule.
True so I guess there really is no perfect system. 4-6 record team should be rewarded if they played a tough schedule. Possibly beat a good 8-2 team. Blacksburg is a good example from last year I guess. 5-5 and ended up winning the State

I just don't like the idea of teams with losing records don't deserve to make playoffs.Maybe this a bad example but I would take a potential 3-7 LCA over some of the teams that make the playoffs this year.All potential 7 losses could come against playoff teams.Maybe they could've took the easy road and not played Martinsburg or GW but I would like to give them more credit for playing them with a tough district schedule.Im not a LCA fan but lets give them credit.

Last edited:
I just don't like the idea of teams with losing records don't deserve to make playoffs.Maybe this a bad example but I would take a potential 3-7 LCA over some of the teams that make the playoffs this year.All potential 7 losses could come against playoff teams.Maybe they could've took the easy road and not played Martinsburg or GW but I would like to give them more credit for playing them with a tough district schedule.Im not a LCA fan but lets give them credit.
LCA could have taken the easy road and definitely played basset or Carroll county for easy points or played Halifax or franklin county like they have in the past. And picked up easy points and be 5-3 right now instead of 3-5 but it is what it is. Even with the schedule they were in games early in the Seminole and let games slide bc of depth issues

LCA could have taken the easy road and definitely played basset or Carroll county for easy points or played Halifax or franklin county like they have in the past. And picked up easy points and be 5-3 right now instead of 3-5 but it is what it is. Even with the schedule they were in games early in the Seminole and let games slide bc of depth issues
Maybe but it doesn’t bother me with them at all

Last edited:
Reactions: hamspear
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT