ADVERTISEMENT

Times News: VHSL Commitee Recommends Reducing to 4 Classes

EPJr

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Sep 27, 2002
A VHSL ad hoc committee on Tuesday approved a recommendation that the league change its current structure from six classifications to four beginning with the 2023-24 school year, and not everyone is happy about it.

The proposal also allows for schools to appeal to play up or down in classification.

Examples given in the proposal as reasons a school might appeal to move down in classification were geography (a school is a geographic anomaly or has physical obstacles such as bridges and tunnels that make remaining in the assigned classification problematic); school location (providing challenges and hardships for miles traveled); and miscellaneous (number of participating athletes in a school).

Schools with enrollments of :
375 or below would be in Class 1;
376-751 in Class 2;
752-1199 in Class 3;
1,200 and above in Class 4.

https://www.timesnews.net/Sports/2020/06/23/VHSL-committee-recommends-going-to-4-classes-from-6.html

Last edited:
Questionable Research by the writer. Graham, it says, would fall into Level 1A. Graham has more than 375 students, so I'm not sure where the Times Writer is getting his info.

As for the ad hoc committee's proposal, I am for it. I prefer 5 classifications, but 4 is something I prefer compared to 6.

If 5 classes, something like this.
A- under 400
AA- 401-675
AAA- 676-975
AAAA-976-1500
AAAAA-1501 and up

I like the 5 classes better than the 4 classes. Mainly because Clarke County would be in competing against schools with an enrollment up to 975 and that's a whole lot better than competing against schools with an enrollment of just under 1200. Our area is not growing much at all. It's mainly a commuting, bedroom, and agricultural community. Sidewalks roll up around 9 pm around here!

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
Questionable Research by the writer. Graham, it says, would fall into Level 1A. Graham has more than 375 students, so I'm not sure where the Times Writer is getting his info.

As for the ad hoc committee's proposal, I am for it. I prefer 5 classifications, but 4 is something I prefer compared to 6.

A- under 400
AA- 401-675
AAA- 676-975
AAAA-976-1500
AAAAA-1501 and

A- under 400
AA- 401-675
AAA- 676-975
AAAA-976-1500
AAAAA-1501 and up

Classification would be based on enrollment for grades 9-11.

Why even bother with cutoffs for classes if all you have to do is whine a little bit and they'll move you.

Divide the total number of VA high schools by 4 (or 5) every 2 years and put the schools in the classifications they belong in. No appeals necessary. If your lower grades have small enrollments, you'll move in 2 years when they reclass again. Districts don't seem to matter - Martinsville played for years as a 2A in a district that had class 3, 4, 5 and 6 in there with them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT