ADVERTISEMENT

Top 2A Basketball teams for 2019/2020

I think the question that needs to be asked, especially ones thinking some teams will just go to 2a and dominate, is how low realistically would they have matched up recently?

I certainly don't follow basketball in high school like I do football, but I certainly remember the talk of same thing with Phoebus in football. And that didn't pan out.

That isn't to say that these teams won't win. I think the pushback from others is saying they will just come in and dominate.

I think the question that needs to be asked, especially ones thinking some teams will just go to 2a and dominate, is how low realistically would they have matched up recently?

I certainly don't follow basketball in high school like I do football, but I certainly remember the talk of same thing with Phoebus in football. And that didn't pan out.

That isn't to say that these teams won't win. I think the pushback from others is saying they will just come in and dominate.
I love the push back - that is what hoops fans and players do.
Everybody think they are the best and don't mind sayin' so.
Hoops is 24-7; 365 days (thank God).

BTW: both schools have been 2A for awhile and were just allowed to play up to maintain their money games in football. Since they will be staying in the same district they actually now have the best of both worlds.

I love the push back - that is what hoops fans and players do.
Everybody think they are the best and don't mind sayin' so.
Hoops is 24-7; 365 days (thank God).

BTW: both schools have been 2A for awhile and were just allowed to play up to maintain their money games in football. Since they will be staying in the same district they actually now have the best of both worlds.

I just like reading it, but I do see the argument for both sides. And it certainly isn't wrong or uncommon for people to have higher expectations for their area and rooting interest.

I will say, that with all of the talk from Phoebus about their dominance going forward, it opened them up to a lot of scrutiny and lofty expectations. And the inevitable every year talk of "this is our year, nobody can touch us" stuff.

Its been quite a while since I seen a high school basketball game. And I know its different than football, but unless it's my alma mater I don't care who plays who or who wins.

Lee moved down to 2A after Paul Hatcher was coach. Lee's program has dropped off since he retired before the 2011-12 season. In the last eleven seasons Hatcher coached (2000-2011), Lee went 251-42 (86%), advanced to 11 regional tournaments and five state tournaments. All at the AA level, and won two state titles with another state runner-up.

Since the 2011-12 season, Lee has a overall record of 134-76 (64%), advanced to only five region tournaments, and won one state title with another state runner-up. Lee is a little smaller in enrollment numbers, but not much since the 2000-01 season. Lee was one of the smaller Valley district schools during the 2000-2010 decade. Paul Hatcher would have got more out of the talent Lee had over the last eight seasons.

I just like reading it, but I do see the argument for both sides. And it certainly isn't wrong or uncommon for people to have higher expectations for their area and rooting interest.

I will say, that with all of the talk from Phoebus about their dominance going forward, it opened them up to a lot of scrutiny and lofty expectations. And the inevitable every year talk of "this is our year, nobody can touch us" stuff.

Its been quite a while since I seen a high school basketball game. And I know its different than football, but unless it's my alma mater I don't care who plays who or who wins.
You think they bad online try talking to them in person. They are a piece of work. There is nothing like 40 year olds living and dying by the actions of 17 year olds.

2A basketball is very, very good. Expecting to just show up and dominate these schools is naive. Like I mentioned, ask Northside (3A champs) or GW (4A) about playing 2A schools.[/QUOTE]

School numbers don't determine talent and coaching, so I agree. Martinsville and GW have a pretty tough and long rivalry. Ask 2A schools about playing 4A schools too. Goes both ways. Competition is competition, and the games need to be played on the floor.

Reactions: AntGZee
JM played and beat top teams in the USA down in Florida and Georgia. Held there own(missed free throws with no time on clock twice down 1). Beat top prep schools and VA state champions/contenders. BUT lost A TON of talent in McRae and Allen. They need another piece to go with the Big Roos and lefty Seward to run away with it. Them two alone won't cut it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT