ADVERTISEMENT

Top Offenses & Defenses in 2A

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trevor_Cash

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Aug 30, 2006
VHSL changed its format and no longer lists points for an against. That made this much harder to track! I only used the numbers for the 32 teams currently qualified for the playoffs.

Offense:
Richlands(W) 47.87
Buckingham(W)44.87
King William(E) 39.42
Union(W) 37.14
Giles(W) 35.28
Greensville(E) 34.57
Brunswick(E) 34.16
Amelia(E) 34.14
Clarke(E) 33.85
Buffalo Gap(E) 33.42

Defense:
Glenvar(W) 6.28
Appomattox(W) 6.85
Clarke(E) 10.42
Wilson Memorial(E) 11.14
Buffalo Gap(E) 12.42
James River(W) 13
Strasburg(E) 14.42
Richlands(W) 15
Union(W) 18
W&L(E) 18.57

Largest difference would definitely be for Wilson Memorial. 4th ranked defense and 31st ranked offense out of the 32 eligible teams

Reactions: kwcav4eva
It looks like there are only 4 listed in both D and O. Richlands, Union, Clark,and Buffalo Gap.
I don't know if that will have any bearing on who is expected to go deep in the playoffs, but it couldn't hurt to have a strong D along with a high scoring O.
But I guess a lot can go into that also as far as to why a particular team is not listed in both, such as schedule, but I just thought it was interesting.

Union also gave up 32 in their 3rd game and 27 in their 5th.

Richland gave up 50 combined in their 5th and 6th games.

So it's not just one game hurting their defenses.

But in the other games they have both been very stout

You're right! I even have that number wrote down, just somehow skimmed over it!

W&L just doing the math in my head has given up around 25 points a game. In their three losses they've given up 43, 41 and 48.

Reactions: Trevor_Cash
Yes sir.

All states came from MaxPreps and I checked with VHSL to make sure the number of games was correct.

Last year VHSL a points for and points against listed with the rankings so it made it much easier

W&L has given up 43-8-2-48-41-17-14 so you are right. Not sure where I messed that one up at. Knew I should have waited til the morning to go back over these lol

Reactions: kwhs95fan
Thanks Trevor for the number crunching. I will be accused of being a homer by bringing this up but of the two I think the defensive stat is more legit for predicting outcomes. Offensive stat is more likely to be skewed by lopsided wins against weak team defenses more than the def

Yes sir.

All states came from MaxPreps and I checked with VHSL to make sure the number of games was correct.

Last year VHSL a points for and points against listed with the rankings so it made it much easier

W&L has given up 43-8-2-48-41-17-14 so you are right. Not sure where I messed that one up at. Knew I should have waited til the morning to go back over these lol

@Trevor_Cash This site is great for numbers though they are sometimes a bit late getting up the most current games

http://www.vhsl-reference.com/

These are never completely accurate of course. It doesnt take in to consideration kick returns, turnovers returned for TDs, OT, and 2nd and 3rd string defenses. For example richlands has allowed 28 points directly from 3 turnovers and 1 kick return. 1 TD in OT. I believe 2nd and 3rd string has given up a couple TDs. Thats 49 points thats not against 1st string defense. But glad you took the time to do this. Gives you a good estimation anyway.

And let's face it, some teams love to play their first Team defense the who game for stats even when blowing a team out.

After recalculating, Richland's 1st team D is allowing 8.875 points per game. Im sure others will be lower as well if someone knew how many points were not scored on the 1st team D.

After recalculating, Richland's 1st team D is allowing 8.875 points per game. Im sure others will be lower as well if someone knew how many points were not scored on the 1st team D.[/QUOTE

If this is case I'm sure Richlands offensive numbers need adjusting. I'm sure 1st team offense didn't play the entire game.

Offense looks good on paper, but "Defense" wins Championships. It was evident last year when the top 2 defensive teams Wilson Memorial and Glenvar played in the State Championship. Looks like Appomattox and Glenvar will meet in Salem.

And let's face it, some teams love to play their first Team defense the who game for stats even when blowing a team out.

Thats true. Theyve had at least 2 kicks returned and a couple ints returned. I believe 2nd and 3 string has scored a couple TDs. Havent kept up with it like the defense. After that i get 42.625.

Which would mean that they are scoring that amount in about 2 1/2 qtrs per game. Mance is very good at taking out his starters as soon as he feels the game is in hand.
It really helps to give the young guys a lot of experience for the next year and also helps to keep the legs fresh on the starters. The non starters that work so hard during the week also know that they will get to see the playing field on Friday nights if at all possible, which keeps them happy and working hard.
I'm sure there are several teams that do the same, but I have also seen teams that will keep their starters in no matter what the score is and no matter what side of the blow out they are on.
Anyway, I'm sure that the numbers would be different for several of the teams if adjusted for 1st string players only.

People always said that last year too. That the stats were no good because of teams leaving starters in and such.

But in the end two of the top defensive teams from the regular season met in Salem. They were also top offensive teams as well

Reactions: Mannschild
People always said that last year too. That the stats were no good because of teams leaving starters in and such.

But in the end two of the top defensive teams from the regular season met in Salem. They were also top offensive teams as well

I never said they were no good. Just that theyre not completely accurate. Just thought i would take it a step further to represent the defense that will see most, if not all, the playoff time. You did state top DEFENSES. Not top teams for points allowed.

Which would mean that they are scoring that amount in about 2 1/2 qtrs per game. Mance is very good at taking out his starters as soon as he feels the game is in hand.
It really helps to give the young guys a lot of experience for the next year and also helps to keep the legs fresh on the starters. The non starters that work so hard during the week also know that they will get to see the playing field on Friday nights if at all possible, which keeps them happy and working hard.
I'm sure there are several teams that do the same, but I have also seen teams that will keep their starters in no matter what the score is and no matter what side of the blow out they are on.
Anyway, I'm sure that the numbers would be different for several of the teams if adjusted for 1st string players only.
I was not referring to Richlands doing this

If Appomattox and Glenvar met in Salem, that would probably be a low scoring game. I have noticed many teams get conservative on offense once they reach Salem. It's as if they play "not to lose" rather than play to win.

I unfortunately noticed that last year HR6.

Lovethisgame, the rankings I do are based off of top Defenses for points allowed. It's honestly not completely accurate because it just goes for points against(which includes special teams touchdowns, defensive touchdowns by the other team, etc) but it would be too much work to do it any other way

Reactions: lovethisgame78
I certainly hope that there is not any insinuation on your part Trevor that you are going to find WM in the State Championship again based on a "high" defensive ranking.

Secondly.....would you have posted the rankings had WM not been in either one? My gut tells me ......NO!!!

If Appomattox and Glenvar met in Salem, that would probably be a low scoring game. I have noticed many teams get conservative on offense once they reach Salem. It's as if they play "not to lose" rather than play to win.

Richlands doesn't do that lol. Against WM last year w were pulling double reverses and WR passes that hadn't been attempted all year. None of them worked. But we were definitely going for the win. I've seen us pull some gutsy onside kicks and fake punts in semi and finals games in the past.

An if you want my honest opinion a G team won't win the title this year. Unless it's Goochland. I personally think Richlands is the favorite

Reactions: kevtodd5
done-ended-finish-halt-Partys-Over-Samuel-L.-Jackson-stop-Its-over-Over-now-GIF.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT