Points scored 569 40.6 average
Points given up 392 28 average
Opponents record 102-71

Tuscarora Huskies 13-1
Points scored 491 35 average
Points given up 147 11.3 average
Oppone6 record 102-64

Reactions: VolNation85
Lake Taylor has won 114 games in the last ten years including two state championships.
Tuscarora has won 98 games in the last ten years and lost two state championships.

Good luck to both teams!

We all know the saying, defense wins championships. I'm interested to see how the Tusky defense does against Malik Newton and the LT run game. I'm also interested in seeing if the LT defense can contain the Tusky passing game. It's no secret that Coach Sawyer likes to crowd the box and run straight lock man defense on the back end to make you throw the ball so the Tusky will have to be efficient throwing the ball.

I always say, "if they can't score, they can't win." For that reason I like Tusky to get the win. I'm not saying LT will be shutout by any means but I think Tusky will find a way to get more stops than LT.

LT offense is averaging 40.6 PPG while Tusky is only giving up 11.3...something has to give tomorrow.

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
We all know the saying, defense wins championships. I'm interested to see how the Tusky defense does against Malik Newton and the LT run game. I'm also interested in seeing if the LT defense can contain the Tusky passing game. It's no secret that Coach Sawyer likes to crowd the box and run straight lock man defense on the back end to make you throw the ball so the Tusky will have to be efficient throwing the ball.

I always say, "if they can't score, they can't win." For that reason I like Tusky to get the win. I'm not saying LT will be shutout by any means but I think Tusky will find a way to get more stops than LT.

LT offense is averaging 40.6 PPG while Tusky is only giving up 11.3...something has to give tomorrow.

Given Tusky's prolific offense and LT's PPG on D, I feel Tusky scoring 40 is not out of the question, therefore, to me this game comes down to exactly your point above... It's the unstoppable force of LT offense vs the unmovable object of Tusky D. Whichever gives determines the game.

Reactions: VolNation85
I have not seen Lake Taylor play, however, I have, and I think others will agree, seen a patchy Tuscarora secondary. Several teams have been able to get a few steps for big plays against that defensive backfield.

Without a doubt Tusky is going to score some points. If LT has some speed, which historically they have, then it will be up to them to keep in stride offensively. Key to this is, IMO, is LT challenging that Tusky secondary deep. Make them respect the speed and deep ball forcing them to play off the ball. If this proves effective it should open up a few quick slants later in the game.

Adjustments in the playoffs and especially the championship is key to winning. Whoever makes the right adjustments with least mistakes will win this one.

I have not seen Lake Taylor play, however, I have, and I think others will agree, seen a patchy Tuscarora secondary. Several teams have been able to get a few steps for big plays against that defensive backfield.

Without a doubt Tusky is going to score some points. If LT has some speed, which historically they have, then it will be up to them to keep in stride offensively. Key to this is, IMO, is LT challenging that Tusky secondary deep. Make them respect the speed and deep ball forcing them to play off the ball. If this proves effective it should open up a few quick slants later in the game.

Adjustments in the playoffs and especially the championship is key to winning. Whoever makes the right adjustments with least mistakes will win this one.
I agree. Only thing is that LT wants to run the ball, run the ball, run the ball, and then run some more. As I would too if I had a grown man like Malik Newton in my backfield. He is only a junior and already has offers from Clemson, Penn St., Texas A&M, VT, etc.

I guess if by “patchy” you mean that you can score by throwing the ball against Tusky you might be mistaken. They have given up 12 TD’s through the air (4 by Mitch Griffis) in 14 games and have 15 INTS. Have really good wide receivers been able to get behind them and really good QB’s been able to make the throws.....yes but name a secondary that is better. There is not a team they have played that has had a better secondary and if Tusky’s pass defense is “patchy” some other really good programs have bigger issues. I think Tusky would prefer to deal with LT chucking the ball up as opposed to letting Newton get another 15 touches. Pretty lame game plan to take the ball out of your bell cows hands.

Tuscarora's defense is stingy. Fitz has the perfect name because he gives offenses Fitz. The first time saw him was against Highland Springs in the C5 title game. He was blowing up the left side of the offense as a freshman. LT should run away from him as much as possible. I can't wait to watch this one. I exspect Tuscarora to pass the ball more in this game than they did last week. Especially in the first half. #3 has great speed and height. We will not see many ounts in this game .

EV held newton to 40 some yards and under 100 total rushing - 2 screens too # 1 -one blown coverage and EV O unable to score in the red zone 2 times is the difference -tusky has better overall defense and DBs than EV and Woodgrove last year —- #1 for LT doesn’t go out in championship woodgrove has trouble winning - the LT running game wont be the difference -LT loses this one by a wide margin- JMO worth as much as any other which ain’t much -

I guess if by “patchy” you mean that you can score by throwing the ball against Tusky you might be mistaken. They have given up 12 TD’s through the air (4 by Mitch Griffis) in 14 games and have 15 INTS. Have really good wide receivers been able to get behind them and really good QB’s been able to make the throws.....yes but name a secondary that is better. There is not a team they have played that has had a better secondary and if Tusky’s pass defense is “patchy” some other really good programs have bigger issues. I think Tusky would prefer to deal with LT chucking the ball up as opposed to letting Newton get another 15 touches. Pretty lame game plan to take the ball out of your bell cows hands.

What I mean by patchy is that Sherando tosses for 160 yards against them not including a 50 yard pass a receiver dropped where he had a least 3 steps on the defender.

Liberty threw for 247 yards against them in the second round of the playoffs. Salem also through for 160 yards against them last Saturday.

I don’t have any stats from the Broad Run game.

Probably just a lame game plan to test out the secondary...

What I mean by patchy is that Sherando tosses for 160 yards against them not including a 50 yard pass a receiver dropped where he had a least 3 steps on the defender.

Liberty threw for 247 yards against them in the second round of the playoffs. Salem also through for 160 yards against them last Saturday.

I don’t have any stats from the Broad Run game.

Probably just a lame game plan to test out the secondary...

If you want to include the overthrown ball on Sherando's first offensive snap, don't you have to also point out that 97 yards came on a play where an interception went through the corners hands?

If you want to include the overthrown ball on Sherando's first offensive snap, don't you have to also point out that 97 yards came on a play where an interception went through the corners hands?

That 97 yard pass was vs Liberty, but nonetheless I was thinking the same thing. In this case, take away Hayes' 63 yard catch and Sherando throws for under 100 yards.

Regardless, @VAtuffTurf I can tell by your past posts you're not a big fan of Tuscarora, but I think it's hard to deny that a team with the toughest strength of schedule in class 4 (per MaxPreps) while still giving up the fewest PPG is a very good defense, including a very good secondary with more picks than TDs.

It’s about points (11.3 PPG) not yards my man. Liberty threw for two touchdowns. Sherando threw for one. Salem threw for two. Broad Run threw for four in two games. Loudoun County threw for one. Potomac Falls threw for two. Any of the above teams do better than that? Good luck to Tuscarora and Lake Taylor.

I really don’t have a dog in the fight. It’s not that I’m anti-Tuscarora, I just tend to root for the underdog. It was just my opinion on what I think could be exploited. I gave similar insight when Salem played them.

Don’t get me wrong fellas, I believe Tuscarora will be all business on Saturday. As many people on here are not giving credit to LT saying this won’t be close and yada. Just playing the opposite card here. Every team has a weakness, is Tuscarora’s secondary an actual weakness? Hell no, I just don’t see much penetration against the line for a run game.

BCEagle, youre right about the points part. It was my thinking that even if LT doesn’t cross the goal line much that they could eat up some clock and sustain some long drives and play the “best defense is a good offense”. Or in this case a good enough offense to keep Tuscarora sidelined more than usual.

It's all good @VAtuffTurf!

Off to Liberty. Good luck to both teams. All this talk will be settled on the field today, and what's most important is these kids stay healthy and enjoy the experience. Win or lose, this is an experience they will remember for a lifetime.

Reactions: CavsGrad
I know it doesn't mean much but the team on the visitors side has won every game since 2013

Last edited:
Only stats I'm seeing so far is LT is up 14-0 and their speed is the difference so far. Especially on offense.

Only stats I'm seeing so far is LT is up 14-0 and their speed is the difference so far. Especially on offense.
Both TDs were completely blown coverages... had nothing to do with speed.

Newton has made two of the most ridiculous catches you will ever see. One for a pick and now one for a TD.

Reactions: 757FridayNiteZ
Blown or can't stop run and in a bind?
Completely blown. One was on fourth and long with a safe defense. The corner and safety had a miscommunication on the first two TDs where they both took the short route. The third one was a great throw and an amazing catch... wish they showed replays on the broadcast to see that one again.

Reactions: aw19752
Completely blown. One was on fourth and long with a safe defense. The corner and safety had a miscommunication on the first two TDs where they both took the short route. The third one was a great throw and an amazing catch... wish they showed replays on the broadcast to see that one again.
I'm live not broadcast lol

Reactions: VAtuffTurf
4A is down heavily this year. I’m just hoping LT finishes these guys off. Can’t say anything about posters hyping teams up, this Tusky team is the o word.

Whoever called the Tuscarora DBs out was dead on. Blown coverages or just getting beat, that's a lot of hair splitting when a team has 4 passing TDs on you in 2.5 quarters of play.

Another amazing throw and catch for LT. Foster put the ball in a perfect place against great defense and Speight high-pointed the ball perfectly for a big TD catch on fourth-and-long.

Whoever called the Tuscarora DBs out was dead on. Blown coverages or just getting beat, that's a lot of hair splitting when a team has 4 passing TDs on you in 2.5 quarters of play.
I appreciate it. Although I was told it would be a "lame" gameplan. Maybe i'll get some credit from BCEagle at the end of the game?

Are the same refs from the 3A game doing the 4A, is that how it works? Because the 3A game had every bit of like 20+ penalties (they had 14 at half) and 4A doesn't seem to be much different. Wonder if it's the same crew.

Are the same refs from the 3A game doing the 4A, is that how it works? Because the 3A game had every bit of like 20+ penalties (they had 14 at half) and 4A doesn't seem to be much different. Wonder if it's the same crew.
Definitely seems like it... they really don't let them play. Just called a soft PI on LT as I'm typing this.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT