ADVERTISEMENT

Undisciplined LT

DEVILSLB99

VaPreps All District
Gold Member
Dec 19, 2005
So now I will address this comment.
Here's a secret about LT: Our defense is man to man, but one thing people don't know is the kids call the defense. In practice during the week we go over teams plays and we give the kids options on how to defend each play and on game day using trial and error from during the week the players know what to call during the games on Friday nights. On Friday the kids make every defensive call on the field. Nhyre and Shiheem was making the calls last night. On offense Shiheem had the freedom to check out of any play and run whatever play he felt was the best fit for our offense. A couple of td's were checks that he made at the LOS. That's coming from a group of kids that are undisciplined. To say we aren't well coached and could be one of the better teams ever IF we were coached up is funny too. Well we did enough to win it all, so although your source is well respected we did get the W.

.....and again! Coach obviously you insist on bantering with morons. Have at it! I'm out. See ya'll next year!
GO SALEM
GO MULES

The kids make every defensive call on the field? The coaches make no calls from the sideline? Well, sorry, but I happened to be on the sideline Saturday and that's not true. Not that it makes any difference. Your team certainly did appear to be well coached. High school quarterbacks making check calls at the line of scrimmage is also not earth shattering at all. That's pretty much a normal thing these days. It's usually comes from the reading the safety, what does the middle of the field look like. That is usually the reason for a check call. Your team played well. It has talent, obviously more than Salem. You won the state championship. Congratulations, but don't get too carried away.

Not bantering just shedding some light on something most people don't know about our team. Some great offensive minds are really going head to head with some kids on game day. God willing hopefully we're all back. Have a wonderful end to the year.

No the kids make the calls on the field. Been the way for years! Mr. I been on the sideline you must have been listening hard to the wrong things. On defense the players make the calls on offense the calls are sent in and the qb makes the check at the line if applicable. You know more about my team than me though I've only been with them for the better part of a decade. We don't signal nothing in on defense.

Funny I can't go on about my team, yet I can read about yours since August every single day right? Multiple post on a daily basis about Salem football or something Salem football related. Yes we won but I would like to tell some people some things about LT they didn't know. You all talked about me posting all year you don't have to respect me and what I stand for, but I'm not going to stop.

No they are just more athletic that's why the win. Lol. You don't have to explain to the uninformed but I understand why.

What type of defensive calls would they make? It looked like man coverage every time with no safety help. Are they calling defensive line stunts, linebacker/DB blitzes?

Based on formation they make the defensive line calls and stunt calls. That is correct thanks for making an informed post and asking the question. When you line up the kids have options they practiced all week and make the call on the field.

Originally posted by 66Spartan2001:
What type of defensive calls would they make? It looked like man coverage every time with no safety help. Are they calling defensive line stunts, linebacker/DB blitzes?
I saw them change some of their man assignments and they were definitely adjusting some slants up front.

#1 Davis had #4 unless Fox was in the game and then the assignments would change.

I wouldn't want you to stop. Everyone has a right
to spread their message. In this case very few
people are listening anymore.

I enjoy hearing about your team! I like to get a coach's perspective. How do your corners react on defense? What is their/LT philosophy on corner play? I have always said the corner position is a key position on defense. Great corners usually are a part of an exceptional defense.

This post was edited on 12/14 2:15 PM by close2salem

I will tell you that i've never been more frustrated with an opposing defense. A man near me said it looked like a "sandlot defense". While it may appear to be simple it is effective as hell. I had hoped that Salem could get a couple of key blocks and break a few more big runs but the LT guys kept making great tackles. I would have liked to seen Salem run some crossing routes and rub routes but that's not their scheme. Anyway you guys have a great team. If any of your kids want to see the blue ridge mountains I know a school that would love to have them. Haha.
wink.r191677.gif

Originally posted by 66Spartan2001:
I will tell you that i've never been more frustrated with an opposing defense. A man near me said it looked like a "sandlot defense". While it may appear to be simple it is effective as hell. I had hoped that Salem could get a couple of key blocks and break a few more big runs but the LT guys kept making great tackles. I would have liked to seen Salem run some crossing routes and rub routes but that's not their scheme. Anyway you guys have a great team. If any of your kids want to see the blue ridge mountains I know a school that would love to have them. Haha.
wink.r191677.gif
Quinerly saved 5-6 TDs by himself during the game. Ramsey was able to spin away a few times but lost his footing in the process. Johnson and Quinerly were great on both sides of the ball.

I agree. I really like Clayborne as a running back for Salem but he doesn't have the size to break tackles like Coleman. I think he is only about 160lbs. He does have great speed as we saw on that long run. Clayborne and Ramsey will be back next year which will be a great 1-2 combo running the ball. I think Salem really needs to hit the weight room hard in the offseason.

You have a right to come here and post about your team. I was impressed by them and surprised they beat Salem by that many points. Yes they do post every year about how many state championships they have won and everyone knows it but this is one they cannot add to it. They also deserve the brag that is a big accomplishment. I can't imagine what they would be posting on here if Salem would have won, no different than you. Your QB is one of the best I have seen, just can't remember him in the game against Amherst, it seems like so long ago. I was actually more impressed with their play yesterday than I was against Amherst. Amherst played them close for the first half but then it all changed in the second. I talked to some of your players before that game and they were very respectful. Salem brought a very crowd as always but feel that Magna Vista brought just as many. Anyway, enjoy your championship, they deserved it

This post was edited on 12/14 3:24 PM by wikki

This post was edited on 12/14 3:26 PM by wikki

Actually I have enjoyed your providing insight and keys to the game.Your team is one of the better teams we have seen play for a state championship at liberty.The athleticism displayed Saturday was much like The Briar Wood team of 2012.
That was a very good Salem team that had basically ran rough shod over their opponents throughout the season.The disparity between east and west teams is noted.Liberty Bealton had some huge lineman but LT's #79 and #53 were very impressive.The qb15 and wideout #9 were tremendous on both sides of the ball.The last time I saw a Qb that actually liked to come and hit was Ronald Curry of Hampton.Where do you rate Salem overall versus your other opponents?

Basically its man to man play physical and you only have to guard for a short amount of time because our DL/LB will eventually get there. We tell the corners that if they give up the pass make the tackle and so we work on open field tackling in practice a lot. We have had some good db's in our defense since Coach Sawyer has been there because he trusts them to be on an island and to make plays when presented.

LOL...My former college teammate that is the OC at Salem (VB) calls it the punt block defense. We have been running it forever and coach calls it organized chaos as its not appeasing to the eye, but its very effective. They tried a couple of pick (rub) routes earlier in the game and he missed them the most memorable one was where he missed Fox out of the backfield in the flats. In the 2nd half I don't remember them trying any such routes. Trust me when I say EVERY team tried to rub, pick, motion, double move us to death. Thanks for the kind words

Nhyre is a 4 year starter on defense and has started at CB his first 2 years, but has been a safety the last two which is what he will play in college. He went to ECU because he wanted to play safety and not CB where everyone else (UVA,VT,Wisconsin) recruited him. He is a sure tackler and our leading tackler on defense this year from the safety spot. He played LB against Dinwiddie and Monacan because of them liking to spread us out and get the ball to their RB's in space and he stepped up in the run game with some solid tackles.

Thanks for the compliments. #53 is rated the #1 OG in the nation in 2017 and #79 is a jr who has offers from UVA, ODU, Rutgers and a few others as he is a big guy. I only lose 1 starter on the OL next year in LT AJ Williams who was a 3 year starter who moved to tackle this year after being all-state at guard last season. As far as competition goes L.C. Bird was by far the hardest team we played this season. I remember some posters saying if you think Bird was physical wait until you play Salem, well my thoughts after the game were Bird is more physical and more nasty they just play with an edge that is borderline dirty but as an OL coach I like it. I think Salem's offense was harder to prepare for than Bird as with Bird its we are running the ball here come stop it and Salem was more balanced I think Ramsey runs hard, but he's a rb playing fb as he runs hard, but he loves to hit the hole and bounce it. Just looking I would give him some carries at RB next year he runs very hard!! If I had to rank our opponents:
1. Bird
2. Monacan
3.Dinwiddie
4. Salem
5. Noncom

With the gap not being that big between 3-4-5. They all presented their own unique challenges.

This post was edited on 12/14 4:39 PM by DEVILSLB99

I agree with you about Ramsey. What was your impression of the some of the younger players for Salem, both on film and from Saturday? Like #44, #41, #34, and #22 and any others you noted?

Playcalling. offense

I was very impressed with LT play calling on offense. Best I have seen this season . good balance with run and pass. good read option where QB kept ball for long gain. good option pitch on the corner on a couple plays. my favorite was throwing deep a couple times.
LT put on a clinic with play calling .

I will also add that I enjoyed watching #79 and #53, and the blocking on the punt return for the TD was excellent.

I think #41 came into a situation and gave up the td, but I will give him credit he did not bite like I thought he would on the fake bubble screen he stayed with his man #1 Davis just outran him. #22 I think he will be good (I hope) his dad Dre was a college teammate of mine I was hoping to find him after the game but I didn't. Don't really remember #44 and #34, but I plan on watching the game again today to really break it down.

I don't think #34 and #44 played much in Sat. game. They are great on defense. #44 is Fox's brother. He hits hard and can read a defense well. He's a pretty good FB too. #34 plays some DE. He's makes a good read on the play. He should probably play LB next year. You would see them more in previous playoff games. If Salem had ran a 4-4 defense these guys would be a good choice from what I have seen. #22 should play safety next year. He is a very smart young man.

#34 is a junior wouldn't put him in the younger category along with sophomores #44 and #22. #41 also a junior should be good next year. Although not seen much this year at LB #17 should look to play mike next year with #44 playing will backer. #34 should look to go to weak end or strong side end.

Originally posted by DEVILSLB99:
LOL...My former college teammate that is the OC at Salem (VB) calls it the punt block defense. We have been running it forever and coach calls it organized chaos as its not appeasing to the eye, but its very effective. They tried a couple of pick (rub) routes earlier in the game and he missed them the most memorable one was where he missed Fox out of the backfield in the flats. In the 2nd half I don't remember them trying any such routes. Trust me when I say EVERY team tried to rub, pick, motion, double move us to death. Thanks for the kind words
Salem also tried that quick underneath cross/semi-screen and it looked like it would have went for big yardage had #5 not got up and tipped the pass at the line.

Thanks for the compliments. #53 is rated the #1 OG in the nation in 2017 and #79 is a jr who has offers from UVA, ODU, Rutgers and a few others as he is a big guy. I only lose 1 starter on the OL next year in LT AJ Williams who was a 3 year starter who moved to tackle this year after being all-state at guard last season. As far as competition goes L.C. Bird was by far the hardest team we played this season. I remember some posters saying if you think Bird was physical wait until you play Salem, well my thoughts after the game were Bird is more physical and more nasty they just play with an edge that is borderline dirty but as an OL coach I like it. I think Salem's offense was harder to prepare for than Bird as with Bird its we are running the ball here come stop it and Salem was more balanced I think Ramsey runs hard, but he's a rb playing fb as he runs hard, but he loves to hit the hole and bounce it. Just looking I would give him some carries at RB next year he runs very hard!! If I had to rank our opponents:
1. Bird
2. Monacan
3.Dinwiddie
4. Salem
5. Noncom

With the gap not being that big between 3-4-5. They all presented their own unique challenges.

This post was edited on 12/14 4:39 PM by DEVILSLB99
Ramsey might move to tailback next year some with Fox's younger brother Riley playing some fullback.

I think #41 came into a situation and gave up the td, but I will give him credit he did not bite like I thought he would on the fake bubble screen he stayed with his man #1 Davis just outran him. #22 I think he will be good (I hope) his dad Dre was a college teammate of mine I was hoping to find him after the game but I didn't. Don't really remember #44 and #34, but I plan on watching the game again today to really break it down.
#41 played well all postseason when they brought him in. I think he will actually be a very good player next year. I was also surprised he didn't bite on that because you set it up very well. Too much time on the play and Davis was just too fast. Pass was a little underthrown and it gave him a chance. He had a good pass breakup later where he left his to make a hit and I could tell it was a pretty painful shot for him.

I guess I called #34/#41 younger players because the starters were dominated by the senior class this year. (Nothing wrong with that-they put in their time). I just know there were some really good underclassmen and Salem looks to be tough next year too. There are some great juniors and sophomores. From what I've seen, #34 kills it in practice at LB and gives Ramsey fits. I'd put a bigger dude at DE or I guess I could see #34 at #20's position. #17 can read well, but needs to put on some pounds to play LB. Maybe he would be a good free safety? #41 has improved every game since the beginning of the season. QB is another position I'm not sure about...I love to see a QB that could scramble too. I love a good 26 boot! Thanks for the good football conversation. That's why I post on this board. I like to see what other folks think.

Devils, what is Lake Taylor's plan for QB next year?
This post was edited on 12/14 6:18 PM by close2salem

No, I don't know more about your team than you and don't want to either, but I know exactly what I was listening to. And just in case you were wondering, you ain't Nick Saban either.

Do everybody on this board, most of all yourself, a big favor and take a little time off instead of continuing to embarrass yourself.

Enjoyed reading your posts the last couple of days. Definitely up to, if not exceeding, your normal standards in what is always a tough situation(i.e. losing the last game of the year and having to wait an entire offseason for another crack). Good luck next year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT