ADVERTISEMENT

Union vs Appo - let the talk begin

If you read my post with your mind open EH31, it states that we(Appo) controlled our own destiny. We did not stop Giles after we punted. The fact that Appo got 10 penalties and Giles 0 is self conclusive . Giles had 0 passes so their lineman never held once, never did anything the whole game in a total run offense to warrant a flag. Ok-once again it is self conclusive but more importantly it's history.
I was responding to poster( who was not you by the way) that was talking about the officials deciding the game by NOT throwing a flag and I my point is that teams have to overcome referees calls or no-calls.
Anyway,no Kleenex needed for me, just some Pepto as I remember the taste of some Giles home-cooking:cool:;) LOL!
Just FYI, the officials are assigned by the Commissioner of the officials assn in Roanoke for those games. For the semis and finals VHSL assigns them and they will be from a crew that doesn't work either team's games. There are some HS officials that live in Giles and I've yet to see one call a Giles game. We played JJ Kelly in the state baseball semis about 10 years ago and the umps came from Charlotte County. Last year VHSL wanted to assign a Roanoke crew to the 5A game in Hampton and they turned it down because it was a noon game and they would have had to leave around 4 AM to be sure to be there in time. VHSL would not pay for a hotel room. Don't know about playoffs but go to WV and each school hires the officials. Lot of home cooking going on over there.

KY officials are horrible too, any time a team from VA goes over there and plays you know you have to beat the opposing team and the officials.

I may have been a little rough after the game, it was such a disappointing game. Appo has a great team and played very well, I just hate the game ended up being close enough that one incorrect call or a no call could have so much impact. The Appo posters are cocky, no debating that, but they've earned that right. They have a wonderful program. Although I think the better team lost Saturday, I mean no disrespect to Appo. They took advantage of Union miscues and a questionable to say the least call and capitalized to hang on and win. Graves gets all the publicity but Scruggs and the nose guard were the best players on field that day. Scruggs made huge plays when it mattered most.
I do feel some Appo fans disrespected Union and felt they'd steamroll. Comments about a one dimensonal offense, how they weren't impressed, etc... I guarantee they've changed their minds now, barely escaping the park with a three point win while being outgained and Union averaging more yards per play. Appo had zero TD drives over 50 yards, Union had three, including one where "no heart" James Mitchell outran the entire Appo defense. But congrats on the win, Appo made the plays when it counted and got the W. That's all that matters. I firmly believe those are the two best teams in the state this year, no disrespect to RE Lee. I also believe if Union and Appo played ten times, each team would win five.

But congrats to Appo, good luck.

RE Lee is better than Union, no doubt about that.

We will see. Lee has better QB play, Union is better on defense and at the LOS. To act like it's forgone conclusion is stupid. If Appo wins by a couple TDs, how was Lee better? If Lee wins you're right. If not, you're wrong. Simple as that.

We will see. Lee has better QB play, Union is better on defense and at the LOS. To act like it's forgone conclusion is stupid. If Appo wins by a couple TDs, how was Lee better? If Lee wins you're right. If not, you're wrong. Simple as that.

I disagree with you on one point and kind of agree on another BigWinners. Union is better on the offensive line of scrimmage and run blocking, but Lee is better on the Defensive Line of Scrimmage. Defensively, overall, Union is slightly better in my opinion, but Lee is much, much better offensively than Union. With that written, they are better offensively right now and what I'm getting at is.......the loss of the Union QB early in the season took Union to a largely run oriented, one or two man offensive show, and this in my opinion, cost Union a state title appearance. But, Lee is versatile and has more weapons than Union offensively at the 5 or so skilled positions, and the ability to run and pass is a big plus for Lee.

Reactions: AdvocateOfMany434

Anytime someone uses the transitive property I automatically disqualify them from discussion.

I've seen both Union and RE Lee play and here's what I believe....

1). Union has the best overall player in Mitchell.

2). Lee is by FAR more athletic...overall. I don't think this is close.

3). RE Lee is lightyears ahead in QB play. Whether that be because of injury or what, right now, Lee is way ahead of Union in QB play which as everyone knows is very vital in winning close games later on in the year.

4). Defensively, I would say they are about even, but given the overall athleticism of Lee, I would favor them.

5). Offense....I don't think this is a discussion. Union's offense circles around 2 players, probably because that's all they have. Lee can beat you with not only running and passing, but they can beat you with 5-6 guys.

I always use the eyeball test and think if I was a coach who would I want to play. I believe it would be WAY tougher to game plan for Lee than Union. Lee has a very good offense, weapons on the offensive side of the ball and a ton of athletes on D. That's tough to game plan for.

*Disclaimer: I am not trying to offend anyone, this is just my opinion on seeing both teams play.*

Anytime someone uses the transitive property I automatically disqualify them from discussion.

I've seen both Union and RE Lee play and here's what I believe....

1). Union has the best overall player in Mitchell.

2). Lee is by FAR more athletic...overall. I don't think this is close.

3). RE Lee is lightyears ahead in QB play. Whether that be because of injury or what, right now, Lee is way ahead of Union in QB play which as everyone knows is very vital in winning close games later on in the year.

4). Defensively, I would say they are about even, but given the overall athleticism of Lee, I would favor them.

5). Offense....I don't think this is a discussion. Union's offense circles around 2 players, probably because that's all they have. Lee can beat you with not only running and passing, but they can beat you with 5-6 guys.

I always use the eyeball test and think if I was a coach who would I want to play. I believe it would be WAY tougher to game plan for Lee than Union. Lee has a very good offense, weapons on the offensive side of the ball and a ton of athletes on D. That's tough to game plan for.

*Disclaimer: I am not trying to offend anyone, this is just my opinion on seeing both teams play.*

Spot on. I agree with every bit of what you wrote, with the very slight-slight disagreement with #4. I very, very slightly give the nod to Union, but again, splitting hairs here. I think 99% (only my guess) of folks having seen them both would agree on point 1, point 2, point 3, and point 5. Point 4.....small differences but it doesn't matter. The to are at least, pretty close on defense in similar quality.

Reactions: GatorBait1988
The block that set him free was an OBVIOUS hold. He had two fistfulls of jersey.
You can cherry pick plays in any game and find questionable calls that don't go your way and blame the refs for the loss. Part of fball is learning that calls sometimes go your way and sometimes don't. You lose the game because you don't play well enough and true championship teams....Leave no doubt!

I see everyone pretty much talking about the no call on the holding. I was sitting on the top row of the home side about midfield. It's a great view of the entire field. Not only was there the no call on the holding of Union's # 82, but also two no calls on two blocks in the back during special teams. These three no calls were right smack dab in front of the back judge. All three were on separate occasions which highly contributed to Appos three TD's in the first half. He also did not call a push off from an Appo WR on Unions # 10 DB at Unions goal line. The back judge was just horrible. The ref was also very confused. Very unsure of himself. He needs to be re-educated on what an illegal shift is and what's not. I've seen several articles in regards to this game stating that special teams made the difference for Appo. Well, I guess I would have to agree with that since special teams is where the no calls took place. Union was a two TD better team than Appo. It's just that they had to play the officials the first half.

I see everyone pretty much talking about the no call on the holding. I was sitting on the top row of the home side about midfield. It's a great view of the entire field. Not only was there the no call on the holding of Union's # 82, but also two no calls on two blocks in the back during special teams. These three no calls were right smack dab in front of the back judge. All three were on separate occasions which highly contributed to Appos three TD's in the first half. He also did not call a push off from an Appo WR on Unions # 10 DB at Unions goal line. The back judge was just horrible. The ref was also very confused. Very unsure of himself. He needs to be re-educated on what an illegal shift is and what's not. I've seen several articles in regards to this game stating that special teams made the difference for Appo. Well, I guess I would have to agree with that since special teams is where the no calls took place. Union was a two TD better team than Appo. It's just that they had to play the officials the first half.
Bullcrap. you lost so just eat it.

Just let them whine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 PEAT BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
14-1

44-1 over the last three seasons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just let them whine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 PEAT BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
14-1

44-1 over the last three seasons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Your right Bo but sometimes i just cant controll myself lol. Now i'll shut up before i say something else i might enjoy saying too much lol.

Seriously????? Yall still crying over a holding call that was great blocking? Last time I checked there are 11 players on the field. Why dont yall go ask 82 was he held? I bet he says NO!

Reactions: oldfool
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT