ADVERTISEMENT

Union vs Appo - let the talk begin

I have seen the hudl clip and the block was clean with no handfuls of jersey. I have also watched the game in it's entirety twice now and will say some interference calls were not made against union which no body from union side has mentioned. Also not mentioned is a coach out on the field and not getting a flag thrown for that and taking up 2 minutes before calling a time out, how does that happen?

The moment was to big for Union. Union was close, but Appo is well coached and special teams were SOME of the difference, but the huge portion was the QB for Appo's ability to take the game over when necessary, and as I told Graham fans (no offense) this was the difference in the two QB's against Union. One QB, early in the game with 2 wide open receivers on different plays overthrows the pass and what did I tell you Graham fans would happen early on if the QB does not throw the ball accurately when he has guys open early in the game? I wrote it would get out of hand. As for Appo, I wrote the same thing and two big facets.....Union can not turn the ball over early or give up a huge special teams score, and Union has to be ready for the early long ball pass as Appo will struggle to drive consistently between the 20's. What did the Appo QB do? Ball from point A to point B on the money early in the game. The moment wasn't to big. The stage or on the road or the crowd didn't matter, and the ball was placed on the money, and it's why Appo has 2 state titles with a chance for 3. Additionally, Union turned over early. The QB for Appo is a WINNER, period. He's the kind of kid that if it's close, he's going to win. If it's ping pong and he is down 20-17, he scores 5 straight points to win 22-20. You simply DO NOT beat him in a close game and to beat Appo, you better be 10 points better or you are in trouble.

As for Union, a fantastic team and it's sad Union lost its QB early in the season because I understand he could rifle the ball and Union could throw it as well as run it. This injury might have been the difference in a state title appearance for Union. Union fans, never blame the officials. You played on your home field, not even a neutral field, not at Appo. Additionally, you shouldn't automatically assume you stop Appo EVEN IF a holding call is made on the special teams return for a score. You understand that if holding is called, that gives Appo first down and no TD of course, but that still kills 3 minutes off the clock if you hold Appo in 3-4 plays, and if they get just 1 or 2 first downs on that drive, it kills 5-6 minutes, and that limits your possessions. It wasn't the officiating. It was Appo and specifically the QB who took the game over and equally important, the moment was not to big for Appo.

As for Appo and fans, I've been reading how you describe this team as your worst or "least good" team of the 3 year run. I disagree with that some. I think this team is better than the 2015 team slightly. Remember, the 2015 team is often remembered for the great year and blow out in the title game, but they were all but done against Richlands in the state-semi's. My point is, other than Heritage who is much larger of course and not AA, Appo has really never been in a game in the last 3 years against an AA team that has been a true threat (down to the final seconds of the game) to beat them other than Richlands of 2015. I know Dan River was close that year also, but Appo had the game in control and even though Union got the late score and no doubt, this game was a battle as Appo tangled with a beast, they pretty much controlled the game other than the short 20-14 stretch that Union had until the field-goal put it away. What I'm saying is Appo fans, I disagree with you. At this point in the season, I think this team is better than 2015, even though you have a loss, the 2015 team would have lost to this year's Heritage team as well, and it might have lost (maybe) to this years Union team. It would have been close like this past game. Only my take. Union Bears, I truly believe the injury to your QB early in the year was the difference in you guys playing for a state title. The well-balanced offense with the wicked defense and ability to kill an opponent, if they put 8 in the box on you would have been tough even for Appo to deal with, but you have to play the hand you are dealt, and the QB injury was a huge factor. Good luck to both teams next year and I hope Union comes out of that very tough region out West in 2018.

Damn, lucustookis that was the most well-written post here in a while, (I'm sure someone will be along shortly and start bashing you for it.) :-/
It was good but I still think the 2015 defense is better. Yes Richlands could of and maybe should have won with the big lead in that game but they only had lead due to our big mistakes. Great teams find a way to win and I do think we were the better team.

I have seen the hudl clip and the block was clean with no handfuls of jersey. I have also watched the game in it's entirety twice now and will say some interference calls were not made against union which no body from union side has mentioned. Also not mentioned is a coach out on the field and not getting a flag thrown for that and taking up 2 minutes before calling a time out, how does that happen?

You're wrong man. The clip clearly shows a hold. And you wanna mention PI? How about the obvious PI against Mitchell on the INT?

The moment was to big for Union. Union was close, but Appo is well coached and special teams were SOME of the difference, but the huge portion was the QB for Appo's ability to take the game over when necessary, and as I told Graham fans (no offense) this was the difference in the two QB's against Union. One QB, early in the game with 2 wide open receivers on different plays overthrows the pass and what did I tell you Graham fans would happen early on if the QB does not throw the ball accurately when he has guys open early in the game? I wrote it would get out of hand. As for Appo, I wrote the same thing and two big facets.....Union can not turn the ball over early or give up a huge special teams score, and Union has to be ready for the early long ball pass as Appo will struggle to drive consistently between the 20's. What did the Appo QB do? Ball from point A to point B on the money early in the game. The moment wasn't to big. The stage or on the road or the crowd didn't matter, and the ball was placed on the money, and it's why Appo has 2 state titles with a chance for 3. Additionally, Union turned over early. The QB for Appo is a WINNER, period. He's the kind of kid that if it's close, he's going to win. If it's ping pong and he is down 20-17, he scores 5 straight points to win 22-20. You simply DO NOT beat him in a close game and to beat Appo, you better be 10 points better or you are in trouble.

As for Union, a fantastic team and it's sad Union lost its QB early in the season because I understand he could rifle the ball and Union could throw it as well as run it. This injury might have been the difference in a state title appearance for Union. Union fans, never blame the officials. You played on your home field, not even a neutral field, not at Appo. Additionally, you shouldn't automatically assume you stop Appo EVEN IF a holding call is made on the special teams return for a score. You understand that if holding is called, that gives Appo first down and no TD of course, but that still kills 3 minutes off the clock if you hold Appo in 3-4 plays, and if they get just 1 or 2 first downs on that drive, it kills 5-6 minutes, and that limits your possessions. It wasn't the officiating. It was Appo and specifically the QB who took the game over and equally important, the moment was not to big for Appo.

As for Appo and fans, I've been reading how you describe this team as your worst or "least good" team of the 3 year run. I disagree with that some. I think this team is better than the 2015 team slightly. Remember, the 2015 team is often remembered for the great year and blow out in the title game, but they were all but done against Richlands in the state-semi's. My point is, other than Heritage who is much larger of course and not AA, Appo has really never been in a game in the last 3 years against an AA team that has been a true threat (down to the final seconds of the game) to beat them other than Richlands of 2015. I know Dan River was close that year also, but Appo had the game in control and even though Union got the late score and no doubt, this game was a battle as Appo tangled with a beast, they pretty much controlled the game other than the short 20-14 stretch that Union had until the field-goal put it away. What I'm saying is Appo fans, I disagree with you. At this point in the season, I think this team is better than 2015, even though you have a loss, the 2015 team would have lost to this year's Heritage team as well, and it might have lost (maybe) to this years Union team. It would have been close like this past game. Only my take. Union Bears, I truly believe the injury to your QB early in the year was the difference in you guys playing for a state title. The well-balanced offense with the wicked defense and ability to kill an opponent, if they put 8 in the box on you would have been tough even for Appo to deal with, but you have to play the hand you are dealt, and the QB injury was a huge factor. Good luck to both teams next year and I hope Union comes out of that very tough region out West in 2018.
you weren't there. You didn't see how much the blown call affected the game.

LOL wow unless you sitting on visitor side not sure what you saw. I was originally worried about block in the back but union player turned into to it right at contact. Definitely no fist of jersey but I will see it later on film if it did happen. I will say this I have been very close to refs for last 5 years seeing what they see from field level and there are often questionable calls both ways. This game was one of the better referred games that I have seen in the last 5 years. and yes Appo had a number calls against them also. My pet peeve is the way they mark spots as they usually don't do a good job.
Watch the clip. It's an obvious hold.

I watched film and saw no hold or PI

I would like to know how their coach came on the field and no penalty or time out was called until well after he stopped the game for at least a minute.

It was good but I still think the 2015 defense is better. Yes Richlands could of and maybe should have won with the big lead in that game but they only had lead due to our big mistakes. Great teams find a way to win and I do think we were the better team.

Does @lucustookis realize that D was basically the same players from 2016? some came back after missing 1 or 2 years of playing and came back senior year....other than that....it was the same D.
NO WAY a One man show like Heritage would have beat Appo 2015 or 2016. Both Os were balanced passing and rushing with a strong OLine so there is no issues on that side of the ball. 2015 team would have beat Union same way 2016 did due to it being a one man army. I know that is a "hypothetical game" we are talking about and Im sure many Union people wont agree but I feel strongly about those two teams winning all the way up to 4A. Just my opinion, that 2015 Richlands team was better than 2016...so people need to stop shortchanging them. Plus they had Howie out in 2016 and he was big part of D and O. Howie caught two TD runs from behind by Matt Page and Phillip Fleshman...they had passed the whole D until howie chased them down. Strength of schedule was stronger in 2015 and 2016. 2015 played one of the best Buckingham teams ever and beat them in 2015? @BCKnights, what is ya thoughts?

Another thing, that was 2016 that struggled vs DR, not 2015...they got smacked 2x that year by us easily. One time, 2015 beat them so bad by halftime..they went home because "thunderstorms."

Not a chamce, Richlands was a POWERHOUSE in 15... a lot of the other teams in 15 was much better, Buckingham that went 9-1 to loose to Richlands in playoffs, 3A Rustburg, DR was much better. It was a whole different beast in 15, more stacked teams. The Heritage team this year was basically the same team in 15 just young. I would love to see the 15 team play Heritage. You gotta take all in account about what kids graduated and moved on... (My Opinon) since we are all entitled to one and I helped coach these kids since youth league.

Reactions: AdvocateOfMany434
If one thing would have went wrong in the end, as in Page not making the right pass, Busta or Deshawn missing a catch, one 1st down not happen that game was over. Them boys had HEART, they never gave up and thats what great units do. PO1 click !

I will post the clip that show the obvious hold.

https:// www.hudl.com/video/2/18906/5a24c387b019640264965c96

12 seconds in. Obvious hold. Clearmas day.
Dude if you think that is a hold and it cost them the game you must wear a thong and a dress. I just watched the video 3 times. What I see is a team that looks a little winded, jogging down the field instead of going 100%, and they guy got shoved out of the play with little effort by the blocker. His teamates didnt do much better trying to catch him and tackle him. I find it odd that you would hang your hat on this incident. Im neutral, a 1A person. You may have lost because of this return, but you didnt lose because that guy was held. Post up something with some teeth

I will post the clip that show the obvious hold.

https:// www.hudl.com/video/2/18906/5a24c387b019640264965c96

12 seconds in. Obvious hold. Clearmas day.

I'm sorry man, I dont see a hold there and I am about as impartial as you can get.

Now as for the talk about where someone was sitting to be able to see it, unless I am looking at the wrong thing, it's in middle of field, so it's not on one sideline or another to call someone out

2015 team would have beat Union same way 2016 did due to it being a one man army. I know that is a "hypothetical game" we are talking about and Im sure many Union people wont agree
2015 Union team was nothing like '16 or '17. QB that year had around 2000 passing yards and more team speed. Remember, they beat Richlands and if memory serves me, never trailed. That same QB was 21 for 22 passing against Glenvar in the 3rd round. They would have matched up really well with Appo that year.

They were ill prepared for Clarke due to injuries on the D-line sustained the previous 2 weeks and the absolutely terrible D coach we had then. Just my opinion.

Dude if you think that is a hold and it cost them the game you must wear a thong and a dress. I just watched the video 3 times. What I see is a team that looks a little winded, jogging down the field instead of going 100%, and they guy got shoved out of the play with little effort by the blocker. His teamates didnt do much better trying to catch him and tackle him. I find it odd that you would hang your hat on this incident. Im neutral, a 1A person. You may have lost because of this return, but you didnt lose because that guy was held. Post up something with some teeth

I'm living in bizarro world. Mitchell was clearly held up around the shoulder pads. It was clear as day. I'm done here. It just sucks losing to a team you should have beaten. Union out gained Appo, had several bad calls go against them, and had three sustained TD drives opposed to one for Appo. Not to mention the defensive holding on the INT in the end zone.

Appo is a very good team, no bones about it. But Union was the better team Saturday. If the refs don't botch the call on fourth down, I seriously doubt Appo wins as Union dominated second half and clearly wore Appo down at the LOS and was moving the ball at will.

Come on Hburghokie? Was that always you position on last years game? Did we not have that discussion face to face?
Nope what I said then was Mitchell had skills as he showed that on the screen pass, and I also said graves out played him that day and he did. Graves neutralized him. But I always thought that both were 2 great athletes.

I'm living in bizarro world. Mitchell was clearly held up around the shoulder pads. It was clear as day. I'm done here. It just sucks losing to a team you should have beaten. Union out gained Appo, had several bad calls go against them, and had three sustained TD drives opposed to one for Appo. Not to mention the defensive holding on the INT in the end zone.

Appo is a very good team, no bones about it. But Union was the better team Saturday. If the refs don't botch the call on fourth down, I seriously doubt Appo wins as Union dominated second half and clearly wore Appo down at the LOS and was moving the ball at will.
You havent lived very long if you think the best team always wins. You say Union dominated the second half, wore down App at LOS, moved ball at will. But the scoreboard says otherwise. Some teams play defense with a philosphy of bend but dont break. It allows teams to move the ball down the field until they get in the red zone, then the d tightens up. That is by design, because in the end, it doent matter how many yards a team has, it matters how many points they have. That is the Dallas Cowboys defense. Last year they went 13-3, other teams reguarly had 4-500 yds of offense, but did not score in the red zone. There is a little more to football than most fans realize

If we are talking about “bad” calls can i bring up the officials not measuring that 4th down play in Salem in 2014 lol!

By the way that wasn’t a hold on the punt return

You say Union dominated the second half, wore down App at LOS, moved ball at will. But the scoreboard says otherwise.
Scoreboard may not have said that, but Appo's coach did in the post game interview.

“We game-planned for Mitchell, but he is incredible,” Smith noted. “They were beginning to wear us down there in the second half.”
“We had that fire in the beginning of the game, but for some reason we didn’t have it in the second half,” Appomattox coach Doug Smith said. “Union had a good game plan.”
“We only have one guy on the offense line that came off last year’s team,” Smith said. “We weren’t able to sustain long drives today, but we made the plays when we needed them.”
“Union found a way to move the ball. If you slowly move the ball you can wear the defense down, and we had a lot of guys going both ways.”
“We’ve got several players with injuries and we don’t have as much depth as we’ve had in the past years, but yet we still keep fighting.”

And, come to think of it, the scoreboard did say it. 2nd half...Union 20 Appo 3

It was a game of 2 halves. Appo's half was just better.

6 penalties to Appo, 3 to Union....hmmm

Well if he got him inside the shoulder pads by whay YOU seen they dont call that.

They cant tell if its a clinched hand or not. U must go some 5-5 vision going on.

I looked at the clip and I think it's likely a hold and holding should have been called. Is it an obvious and overwhelming clearly over the top hold that has to be made 100% of the time because there is no discussion about it? The answer is no, it's not. I do believe it's more than likely a hold, but not by much, and I can see how an official wouldn't throw a flag in that situation.

The keypoint I continue to discuss that some from Union still don't consider is.......EVEN IF a hold is called, you can not ASSUME Appo isn't going down the field and scoring. You can not assume APPO doesn't get 2-3 first downs and punts, and limits Union's possessions or even flips the field and gets the ball back at midfield. One other thing. Watch Appo on their kicks and punts. I will bet you they had more than 1 guy around the returner to make a tackle and not having to rely on one guy to make a tackle or its a touchdown. Again, a small difference, but still a difference in the two, and its these tiny differences that make Appo a winner. Union shouldn't have been in a situation in which they had to punt that early. Union shouldn't have been in a situation in which their coverage is skewed to the point that if one guy does get held up or doesn't make the tackle, it's a touchdown. Those things are on Union, not the officials.

I looked at the clip and I think it's likely a hold and holding should have been called. Is it an obvious and overwhelming clearly over the top hold that has to be made 100% of the time because there is no discussion about it? The answer is no, it's not. I do believe it's more than likely a hold, but not by much, and I can see how an official wouldn't throw a flag in that situation.

The keypoint I continue to discuss that some from Union still don't consider is.......EVEN IF a hold is called, you can not ASSUME Appo isn't going down the field and scoring. You can not assume APPO doesn't get 2-3 first downs and punts, and limits Union's possessions or even flips the field and gets the ball back at midfield. One other thing. Watch Appo on their kicks and punts. I will bet you they had more than 1 guy around the returner to make a tackle and not having to rely on one guy to make a tackle or its a touchdown. Again, a small difference, but still a difference in the two, and its these tiny differences that make Appo a winner. Union shouldn't have been in a situation in which they had to punt that early. Union shouldn't have been in a situation in which their coverage is skewed to the point that if one guy does get held up or doesn't make the tackle, it's a touchdown. Those things are on Union, not the officials.
Exactly...somebody mentioned earlier....isnt there 11 guys vs 11 guys? So the 1st guy is the only guy that knows how to tackle, roll off a block, break down and change directions of where punt returner is going? Nobody even touched Ellis on that punt return until it was too late. He didn’t even have to juke anyone, break a tackle, or change direction. He simply ran around and up the sideline untouched....why we not talking about that.

One other thing...didnt union have one last drive close to end of game that was ended on 4th down close to endzone. Somebody remind me...i would have to go back in look.

Reactions: HolyFrog

Of course Appomattox could have went down and scored, they are a great team. But you are wrong about one assessment, saying if they had gotten a couple first downs and punted would have limited possessions. That would have on the surface made the difference in the game. Union obviously didn't score in 1st half, so less possession wouldn't have changed that. But if Appomattox doesn't score there, could have been a different game

Reactions: BigWinners
In 2014

In 2013 (Coach Smith's 2nd Year) Appo lost to Giles

My last point on the Union-Appo game. In 2013 Appo played at Giles. Late in the 4th quarter we ran the ball down to the 25 yard line. Appo received like 3-4 penalties in a row. We got moved back so far we had to punt. Giles got the ball, drove on us and got close enough for a 27 yard field goal with 5 seconds on the clock. Giles won 17-14 and went on to win the state championship that year. I just pulled up the box score off the internet and Appo had 10 penalties for 60 yards and Giles had 0-0. That was a bitter pill to swallow but at the end of the day had we stopped Giles after we punted, who knows what could have happened in overtime- we just didn't get it done; the same is true with Union. The Union Fan said it best, Appo's first half was just a little better than Union's second half. On to Salem and R. E. Lee.

Who needs a tissue ? The Championship is this week and Union is not in it so lets move on. We looking to 3peat. #BeatRELee

This game happened less than a week ago.. Appomattox played Giles 4 years ago and we still hear once a week about how the refs screwed Appomattox in that game. It's nice of you to offer a tissue since it seems like Appomattox fans have been keeping Kleenex in business since 2013!!

Last edited:
Reactions: swva_havok_fan
If you read my post with your mind open EH31, it states that we(Appo) controlled our own destiny. We did not stop Giles after we punted. The fact that Appo got 10 penalties and Giles 0 is self conclusive . Giles had 0 passes so their lineman never held once, never did anything the whole game in a total run offense to warrant a flag. Ok-once again it is self conclusive but more importantly it's history.
I was responding to poster( who was not you by the way) that was talking about the officials deciding the game by NOT throwing a flag and I my point is that teams have to overcome referees calls or no-calls.
Anyway,no Kleenex needed for me, just some Pepto as I remember the taste of some Giles home-cooking:cool:;) LOL!

If you read my post with your mind open EH31, it states that we(Appo) controlled our own destiny. We did not stop Giles after we punted. The fact that Appo got 10 penalties and Giles 0 is self conclusive . Giles had 0 passes so their lineman never held once, never did anything the whole game in a total run offense to warrant a flag. Ok-once again it is self conclusive but more importantly it's history.
I was responding to poster( who was not you by the way) that was talking about the officials deciding the game by NOT throwing a flag and I my point is that teams have to overcome referees calls or no-calls.
Anyway,no Kleenex needed for me, just some Pepto as I remember the taste of some Giles home-cooking:cool:;) LOL!

I didn't even realize you posted about that game.. I must've missed it. But my post definitely wasn't directed at you lol

Reactions: High School Sportz2
This game happened less than a week ago.. Appomattox played Giles 4 years ago and we still hear once a week about how the refs screwed Appomattox in that game. It's nice of you to offer a tissue since it seems like Appomattox fans have been keeping Kleenex in business since 2013!!
Bahaha, good one there. Nice try but noooo cigar.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT