ADVERTISEMENT

Union vs Appo - let the talk begin

It has been your turn the last 3 years, nothing new.

I will say, I watched some of game on Facebook and looked like a good game. But I'm curious, why was there so many comments on there about cheating and playing dirty? I didn't see it from the video at all

To be fair on that FB live video they were saying the refs were cheating them since the first penalty on the first possession! lol I get it though, it's easy to only see a game one way when you only have one rooting interest. I quit watching at halftime and when I remembered to turn it back on it was 20-14 and Union had the ball.. I had no clue what was going on. Sounds like I missed a lot of action.

Lee is a feared team that I didnt want win vs Poq. They run the spread and what I do like about them is that we have faced them 2 times in last 4 years. We know a lot about their O and D. What scares me the most is that they can throw and hit the slants, cutback routes well.

Again not saying who will win, but a totally different team than last 2 years. I have seen them live twice this year and scary athletic. Just look at Riverheads past 2 years vs them. Riverheads not as good this year, especially offense but they are still extremely well coached and really good football team. From when Stuarts Draft played them, I thought Luray was beat team, Riverheads best coached, and Lee by far most athletic. They beat Luray 38-7 last week with Luray scoring last play of game, it wasn't that close.

I'll tell you what I saw for what my no knowledge knows, they looked like to me they had at least 10 kids as athletic and fast/quick as anything Richlands had last year. I would be willing to bet that a few of their linemen are close to as athletic as a lot of teams skill players. Now Appo has a lot of athleticism as well, and I'm not saying either will win, but the field is going to be full of athletes in Salem

Reactions: AdvocateOfMany434
Again not saying who will win, but a totally different team than last 2 years. I have seen them live twice this year and scary athletic. Just look at Riverheads past 2 years vs them. Riverheads not as good this year, especially offense but they are still extremely well coached and really good football team. From when Stuarts Draft played them, I thought Luray was beat team, Riverheads best coached, and Lee by far most athletic. They beat Luray 38-7 last week with Luray scoring last play of game, it wasn't that close.

I'll tell you what I saw for what my no knowledge knows, they looked like to me they had at least 10 kids as athletic and fast/quick as anything Richlands had last year. I would be willing to bet that a few of their linemen are close to as athletic as a lot of teams skill players. Now Appo has a lot of athleticism as well, and I'm not saying either will win, but the field is going to be full of athletes in Salem
RE Lee always has athletes bro! I want to say they won states in Basketball last year. Is it the same coach from last 5 years? I love that stadium they play in. I enjoyed it 2x when my son played JV and Varsity.

Met BoBob, nice to meet you, after game and congratulated the Head coach and several players. This is a well run program Appomattox has. They deserve the accolades.

Congrats to our Bears on an outstanding season. Thanks for the ride.

I told BoBob after game that, in defeat, two things happened that I wanted to see. One was James Mitchell out run Appo's defense and we didn't get beat 43-0!

Best of luck against R E Lee!

RE Lee always has athletes bro! I want to say they won states in Basketball last year. Is it the same coach from last 5 years? I love that stadium they play in. I enjoyed it 2x when my son played JV and Varsity.

Yes they always do. They have always had the most athletes in the area whether they won 10 games or 2. I think their coach is in his 3rd year. Before than the AD was a coach there for a long time. Very nice man and actually helped kids from other area schools get into college to play.

Yes they did win in basketball, but certainly wasn't their 1st time doing that. A few years ago, Sportscenter broadcast from Staunton during a LONG winning streak in basketball.

I hope you didn't have to sit on visitor side when you went there, they are SHORT. I think standing on top row like I always do, that Yao Ming may have been able to see over me lol

Good luck to both teams next week. Should extremely exciting

Yes they always do. They have always had the most athletes in the area whether they won 10 games or 2. I think their coach is in his 3rd year. Before than the AD was a coach there for a long time. Very nice man and actually helped kids from other area schools get into college to play.

Yes they did win in basketball, but certainly wasn't their 1st time doing that. A few years ago, Sportscenter broadcast from Staunton during a LONG winning streak in basketball.

I hope you didn't have to sit on visitor side when you went there, they are SHORT. I think standing on top row like I always do, that Yao Ming may have been able to see over me lol

Good luck to both teams next week. Should extremely exciting
ok, now you done told me something......We have not faced this RE LEE team then. what O do they run. last we played them was 2014.

Yes I stood up in back at JV game and we sat in middle visitor side when he played varsity. My son got hurt with collar bone injury and couldnt play QB junior year. You got to remember the BIG FAN PO1 Crew didnt start until 2015, so it was easy to find a place to sit at. just saying...

Last edited:
Our our our our our, u always have so much to do with what happens with this team dont you. Are u a player? U have been the most classless poster on this board for two years. I wonder how many times we will all see you next year??
Good post, you can tell by his post that stapler probably could not tell the difference between a football and a soccer ball.......

Reactions: FORT89
ok, now you done told me something......We have not faced this RE LEE team then. what O do they run. last we played them was 2014.

Yes I stood up in back at JV team and we set in middle visitor side when he played varsity. My son got hurt with collar bone injury and couldnt play QB junior year. You got to remember the BIG FAN PO1 Crew didnt start until 2015, so it was easy to find a place to sit at. just saying...

You can find their videos on YouTube. The visitor section is long, but not very high. I would say top is 15-20 feet high probably. They have a great QB, a few good backs and receivers, and defense has gotten better and better. They held Riverheads to 7 points. The first time they played Luray, it was 42-33 Luray, in playoffs 38-7.

I can't remember where from, but the new HC was from other part of state and was successful. His name is Scott Girolmo or something like that.

Now, only thing I will say about them somewhat negatively is that what I saw of them that either SD or Riverheads last year were just as good if not better because both had athletes. In my opinion, while they may not have won, I think either of them would have given Appomattox a better game in championship last year, especially with that kid from Richlands out. But neither of those teams had as many athletes as Lee.

I would expect next week to be very high scoring game

Met BoBob, nice to meet you, after game and congratulated the Head coach and several players. This is a well run program Appomattox has. They deserve the accolades.

Congrats to our Bears on an outstanding season. Thanks for the ride.

I told BoBob after game that, in defeat, two things happened that I wanted to see. One was James Mitchell out run Appo's defense and we didn't get beat 43-0!

Best of luck against R E Lee!

Great to meet you sir!!!!
Mitchell is a man.

What an environment!!!!!!

Thanks for the hospitality!!!!!!

Two very very good teams. If they played ten times, they'd probably go 5-5.

Unions mistakes killed them. Appo only had one sustained TD drive. 23 points, one was a PR TD and the other was a ten yard drive after a horrendous punt.

Reactions: Boathead
Union better find that “diverse” offense in the second half, so far it’s been almost entirely shut down. One pass, and it was intercepted.

Union scored 20, and could've had more if not for running out of time. That diverse offense just about knocked off Appo, how bout that?

Appo and heritage both in the finals in 2a and 3a!! Can't remember who it was when these two played early in the season but predicted both would be in the finals after watching that game !

Oh please Stabler, dont bring that guy up. He also said every week that Heritage was going to embarrass everyone. I thought Appomattox would be here from start, I didn't think Lee would be though

Singlewinger ! It's all good no hate on my part , just happy for the kids and coaches and the community of this central va team for what they have done !! Truly amazing!
And I am with you on that. That's why I don't get when Appo fans come on here and act as if people say negative things about that team. Man it's hard to win state one year, much less two or three in a row. I see nothing but respect for Appo across this board and from all posters. How can u Not? And what impresses me even more is two years I have been on the field after they beat Giles and they seem like great, humble kids with good sportsmanship. I don't like getting beat but fact is you don't have the horses every year to win state. I'll always respect a team as good as them as long as the kids are respectable and they are. I just like seeing fans follow suit.

I dont pay him no mind, he is troll!
Here I is, I go to bed early and get up early. I picked Union to win, I picked Galax to win and guess what happened?? Well they both lost. So here goes Appo will destroy who ever their playing. This game want even be close. Oh yeah, I’m to big to be a troll. LoL!!!

Last edited:
I dont pay him no mind, he is troll!
What is a troll?
Top 10 trolls on the net.
1) Insult Troll
2) The persistent debate Troll
3) The grammer Spell check Troll
4) The forever offended Troll
5) The Show-off Troll
6) The profanity Troll
7) The one line Troll
8) The exaggeration Troll
9) The off topic Troll and last but not least
10) AdvocateOFMany434 and stabler1980 TROLL!!!!

Oh gunz ! Now I remember who it was !! Wow how could I forget that guy !!!

Yea, can't put any stock into that guy. Every game they were gonna blow everyone out by 28+ points and game over by halftime. It's funny, when they lost or had close games it is because they just didn't play good. I think whether anyone thinks I have knowledge or not, I know the answer, but anyway, even the most unknowledgable person could say a team didn't play well so they didn't do well.

I expect from reading that his ultimate conclusion for Heritage will be correct, and they will win. But after that RB is gone, he will disappear. I hate to say it, and not calling someone out, but only posters I have great respect for is the ones who are here win or lose, year in and year out. Now, parents are somewhat different, but I can't stand when a team with a good team, especially ones year after year and they lose a game and get on here whining about how bad the coach is. It's never the team was just beat. Even worse is the ones whining about a coach when they WIN. But the worst is saying they could do a better job in so many words

To be fair on that FB live video they were saying the refs were cheating them since the first penalty on the first possession! lol I get it though, it's easy to only see a game one way when you only have one rooting interest. I quit watching at halftime and when I remembered to turn it back on it was 20-14 and Union had the ball.. I had no clue what was going on. Sounds like I missed a lot of action.
If any team got cheated it was us lol. The obvious hold that allowed the PR TD and the most ridiculous call ever that forced Union to punt instead of getting a first down and going into half 14-0.

Wow ! cheated really !! A hold allowed the TD on the punt return , last ichecked it is11 players on the field and that one guy did not make the play because he was held , give it up , its over and I know it is hard to except, but it's ok , union played hard and just came up a little short , stop trying to find reasons why y'all lost the game , it was a good game and that one play did not cause the lost ! Just being honest here !! But everyone has there on opinion!! Good luck in the future !!

If any team got cheated it was us lol. The obvious hold that allowed the PR TD and the most ridiculous call ever that forced Union to punt instead of getting a first down and going into half 14-0.

So....now we are onto the "refs cheated". I don't know where it ends.

Union was "cheated" at home.....

Just accept it, the best Union team ever couldn't beat the worst Appo team in the last 3 years.

Accept the defeat, lose with class, and move on. It's over.

Reactions: Stabler1980
Wow ! cheated really !! A hold allowed the TD on the punt return , last ichecked it is11 players on the field and that one guy did not make the play because he was held , give it up , its over and I know it is hard to except, but it's ok , union played hard and just came up a little short , stop trying to find reasons why y'all lost the game , it was a good game and that one play did not cause the lost ! Just being honest here !! But everyone has there on opinion!! Good luck in the future !!

Yes it did. If ref makes ibvious call, Union likely wins.

Yep advocate!! You knew it was coming . Took a whole day for it to sink in I guess !! Have to find a reason . Guess Appo could complain about the call on the 1 yard line for motion that was ridiculous and backed us up but no , accept the penalty and move on or how many points did Appo leave on the field , I saw at least 17 so I think we should have been at our average of 40 points . Really !!

Reactions: oldfool
Yes it did. If ref makes ibvious call, Union likely wins.
not sure where hold was I was sitting right in front of the punt and the block that set him free was no hold and after that noone came close to the ball. You also needed an onside kick to have won which you didn't get. Appomattox got way to conservative in the second and it almost cost them.

Reactions: oldfool
OK so my take on the game was it was fairly called both ways; everyone holds in high school and they called it pretty evenly both ways in my opinion. You can argue the motion before the punt , we can say this, you can say that . In the end it was just a close came; Appomattox dominated the first half and Union did close to the same in the second half. Appomattox held on to get a hard fought victory in the last few seconds.
I will have to say the BSG folks were all very welcoming and gracious folks who are beyond passionate over Bear Football. I think Mitchell made a great showing and I think people got a small glimpse of what Graves can do offensively on the one pass he got. Defensively nobody throws to his side so as in the Union game with minimal passing, you usually don't get to see his defensive skills unless he is challenged. This week will probably be a different story since R.E. Lee passes more than Union. Congrats to Union on another great season and a great football tradition. #Go Raiders, Beat R.E. Lee!

not sure where hold was I was sitting right in front of the punt and the block that set him free was no hold and after that noone came close to the ball. You also needed an onside kick to have won which you didn't get. Appomattox got way to conservative in the second and it almost cost them.

I will post the clip that show the obvious hold.

https:// www.hudl.com/video/2/18906/5a24c387b019640264965c96

12 seconds in. Obvious hold. Clearmas day.

Last edited:
I was wondering when this ‘refs cheated Union’ was gonna make it to this forum.
The truths the truth. Big bad Appo had ONE sustained TD drive, and was given two gifts that led to 14 points.

You gonna question Mitchell's heart after this game after he outran your boy Graves on the long TD run?

The block that set him free was an OBVIOUS hold. He had two fistfulls of jersey.

What side of the field you sit on???
That was on our side and right where I had a great look at it. He was pushing him on the inside shoulder with enough leverage to not allow him to turn his body for the tackle. Even had a bunch of SWVA folks beside me who went crazy when 82 broke his long run ( out running Graves) who never even commented about a hold. From the visitors side it was obvious it was clean.
Had it been on your side of the field I would have to defer to your better view but it was right in front of me.

Again.....the game is over. Union's best team couldn't beat a down Appo team....plus the game was in BSG.

It's over.
You lost.
Move on.

The block that set him free was an OBVIOUS hold. He had two fistfulls of jersey.
LOL wow unless you sitting on visitor side not sure what you saw. I was originally worried about block in the back but union player turned into to it right at contact. Definitely no fist of jersey but I will see it later on film if it did happen. I will say this I have been very close to refs for last 5 years seeing what they see from field level and there are often questionable calls both ways. This game was one of the better referred games that I have seen in the last 5 years. and yes Appo had a number calls against them also. My pet peeve is the way they mark spots as they usually don't do a good job.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT