ADVERTISEMENT

Union vs Appo - let the talk begin

getting closer to game day ! Hump day and when I played the last full pad practice before light pads and helmets to do walk throughs , don't know if how things are done these days !i am looking for the raiders to handle this one! I am sure the players and coaches are so ready for this game ! Been looking a lot at the comments on here and on swva site and looks like some of the union people think this will be a cake walk ! I can assure that won't happen , this team has a lot of grit and the will to win for that , hope all of these fine young men on both teams have fun and enjoy the moment because you will always remember, this is special and something to cherish! Hope all the fans stay safe and show respect for each other , hope for the refs to be fair and honest and have a good game ! Have a great game and go raiders !!!
Can you point me to any post by a Union person that said this game would be a cake walk for the Bears?

HUGE difference in "I believe we can win" versus "we are going to win".

But definitely hope for a good, injury free game. Don't worry about the fans, you'll be treated well.
Safe travels!

Thanks ! Ok we have been on here for awhile now so you can get on me for doing some trolling !! Guess I was surprised at some of the comments on another site , not here but you are right you get that from some that don't think there is any other way to be !

Reactions: Union_Fan
hw many richland fans would cheer for swva if it were graham vs appo?? i feel deep down richlands would cheer for almost anyone over appo after the last 2 yrs... i dont know that forsure, but last yr we always felt like we were on a collision course for a richlands rematch and it happened. alot of respect for that program there of the blues tbh... not real sure what richland fans truely think of appo... but there is a lvl of respect in appo for them

As others have already said, Richlands fans ( at least the ones I know ) have a LOT of respect for the Appo program, as well as Union and yes.......even Graham. I have a lot of respect for any program that can win back to back state championships with a chance to win a 3rd. The coaches and players have done a fantastic job up there and I know sometimes they may not get enough respect because some say they should be as good as they are because of how great their athletes are, but I have seen teams over the years that had great athletes that still did not dominate like Appo has done. It takes the athletes and coaches believing in each other and the system to make the run they have had !
But that being said, we do pull for each other pretty hard on this end of the state and we can be pretty tribal here.
I am no fan of Graham, just like EH31 has stated about us. Both fan bases give each other a hard time during the regular season, but if Graham is the one that makes a deep run in the playoffs, I would be in the Graham stands pulling hard for them, and as a matter of fact I have done just that in the past. Union and Richlands have earned respect for each other because of the close hard fought games they have played over the last several years. A lot of mutual respect between the teams and fans because of that.
I will be pulling for Union this week and next week "IF" they are blessed enough to win this week, but I still have all the respect in the world for what Appo has been able to do the last few years !
Good luck to both teams and hope everyone that is traveling to and from the game has a safe trip !!

Not to say you or @Stabler1980 are wrong, because I dont know the answer. But if they didn't have playoffs or anything, and I am assuming not in record books as such, how can you say you win state championships? Is it going by record? I am just assuming as since there were no where near as many schools back then, that others would have been undefeated. This is not meant as a shot, I am truly curious
I graduated Rustburg 1970. That was the last year of the old Group 2 District 4 that Appomattox was a part of. There were no football playoffs for that group..Everybody played 10 games and put their pads away. The only playoff for VHSL schools then was the highest class that EC. Glass was part of. The playoffs for all divisions started in the fall of 1970.

Personally I can't stand to hear somebody that a kid is overrated or doesn't live up to the hype. It's a kid for Pete's sake. What kind of darn hype should they be living up to? Also, you can't judge a kid by one performance. I recall Ahmad Bradshaw being held to negative yardage by Blacksburg I year. It's because Blacksburg had multiple athletes and Graham has the one great athlete. Some folks can't spot talent if it jumped up and bit them.

Personally I can't stand to hear somebody that a kid is overrated or doesn't live up to the hype. It's a kid for Pete's sake. What kind of darn hype should they be living up to? Also, you can't judge a kid by one performance. I recall Ahmad Bradshaw being held to negative yardage by Blacksburg I year. It's because Blacksburg had multiple athletes and Graham has the one great athlete. Some folks can't spot talent if it jumped up and bit them.
Exactly. And there's also the kids that aren't putting up great stats and the naysayers say they will never make it at the next level. The kid works hard, walks on at a college program and becomes a star. These young men need support and encouragement, not criticism from the fans. Leave the teaching and correcting to the coaches.

They will probably leave Friday around noon. Stop at VATech and practice, by far they will be the best team that has touched that field all year. LoL!! Stop and grab something to eat before heading to the hotel. Do they have hotels in big stone gap??? Eat again, play PlayStation all night before walking on to the field.
I would think that would be the smart move. Leave Friday !

Getting close to game day. I am looking for a good game, guessing 30 something to 20 something. Raiders on top. Union was a class act last year in Appo and I look forward to seeing their home field. Also, hope this is not the last time I see Mitchell play as I hope he is a Hokie to be.

Last edited:
Exactly. And there's also the kids that aren't putting up great stats and the naysayers say they will never make it at the next level. The kid works hard, walks on at a college program and becomes a star. These young men need support and encouragement, not criticism from the fans. Leave the teaching and correcting to the coaches.
Appo respects the whole Union team and knows what Mitchell means to the Union team. He will be a great player at the next level. Some folks just get carried away on here sometimes.

So Union fans, I have heard several times on here that the pizza is good at the stadium. Is there more than one type and what makes it good? Just curious-lol.

So Union fans, I have heard several times on here that the pizza is good at the stadium. Is there more than one type and what makes it good? Just curious-lol.
Pepperoni or cheese. It's from a local chain, 3 locations. Hand tossed crust, unique sauce and cheese blend. Doesn't really compare to any national chain. If you like pizza, it's worth a try.

I dont know about Union, but 99% of pizza is good :). And at every game I have went to in past few years I haven't gotten one slice lol

But if anyone is ever up this way, the best concession stand food is at Stonewall Jackson. AMAZING!!!!!!

Maybe questioning Mitchells heart was the wrong way of saying it...I apologize for who I offended. But....i know last year was not a good showing for him after hearing all the D1 offers that some of you came on here boasting about. Cant remember who it was after we won last year... they was stating how much better Mitchell was over Graves... they pointed at scholly offers and “stars” to prove it. I think the kid is good.. i just know i didnt see the kid that was advertised last year. Hope he goes to Tech so I can root for him on right side of the bleachers. Again i have mad respect for Richlands, Union, and Giles as well.

Thank you, AdvocateOfMany434, we tend to gravitate to our own and I appreciate your enthusiasm. James has been asked a lot this year for the betterment of the team and he has done it graciously. Our record even surprises me sometimes when I think of our schedule, but we have a determined group of young men who believe in each other. Like I have said many times, "Strap on your chinstrap and get ready to hit someone."

Safe travels to all the Appo fans today and/or tomorrow and we will see ya in The Gap!

Reactions: AdvocateOfMany434
How is it offensive to someone when one player is just better than another?

Anyone who isn't biased towards a particular team could see that Graves was head and shoulders better than Mitchell. It's not even a debate. That's not to say Mitchell won't be better at the next level, but we aren't talking about that. Mitchell showed up last year and Graves was there to answer the call. He outplayed him. Plain and simple. Mitchell has a shot this year to answer the call and show what he can do against another D1 talent.

Get over your feelings.

Appo will key on Mitchell and Union’s run game, the O line is physical enough to grind out a few yards per carry, but union will face many 4th and shorts, and will go for it most of the time. The clock will be Union’s worst enemy, and they’ll be forced to play catch up in the second half trying to grind out 3-4 yards a carry. Union will score twice, but Appo gets in 5 times..... Appo 35 Union 14

Anyone who isn't biased towards a particular team could see that Graves was head and shoulders better than Mitchell. It's not even a debate. That's not to say Mitchell won't be better at the next level, but we aren't talking about that. Mitchell showed up last year and Graves was there to answer the call. He outplayed him. Plain and simple. Mitchell has a shot this year to answer the call and show what he can do against another D1 talent.

Get over your feelings.

I guess you missed Mitchell burning Graves early and having a 80yd TD called back for a block in the back that didn't occur.

Appo will key on Mitchell and Union’s run game, the O line is physical enough to grind out a few yards per carry, but union will face many 4th and shorts, and will go for it most of the time. The clock will be Union’s worst enemy, and they’ll be forced to play catch up in the second half trying to grind out 3-4 yards a carry. Union will score twice, but Appo gets in 5 times..... Appo 35 Union 14

I believe you underestimate Unions offensive attack. It's very diverse and breaks off a lot of big plays. Owens had runs of 50 and 75 yards last week against a vert fast Graham team. Union isn't three yards and a cloud of dust.

I guess you missed Mitchell burning Graves early and having a 80yd TD called back for a block in the back that didn't occur.

Definitely remember that play, but....there was a penalty....so.....it means absolutely nothing.

I did however see Union accumulate less than 200 yards of offense, 75 yards came on one drive, so for 3.5 quarters Union had 100-120 yards with a Division 1 athlete on their team.....Do you remember that?

Hopefully Union and Mitchell will be able to answer the call this year, I think they can. But, last year, Graves, Scruggs, Fleshman were BY FAR the best players on the field. Mitchell was a non-factor, Graves locked it up.

Most top end athletes (Mitchell included) know when they were outperformed, instead of trying to find the silver lining (there isn't one) they gear up for the next time they get a chance, and come to play! I'm guessing Mitchell can't wait to get another opportunity to show what he has against another D1 prospect.

Good luck to both teams!

80yrd TD ? Uhh I think u mistaken I believe it was like a 30 to 40 yrd pass and it wasnt gonna go for a TD Graves would have tackled him. But lime Gator said, there was a block in the back so that play goes out the window. Grave was the better player that day. Hope he can do it again.

Get over your feelings.
I was talking about me saying he didn’t play with heart. If someone got offended, I apologize. Maybe i chose wrong words to convey my point.

I agree with ya assessment of the game though.

I believe you underestimate Unions offensive attack. It's very diverse and breaks off a lot of big plays. Owens had runs of 50 and 75 yards last week against a vert fast Graham team. Union isn't three yards and a cloud of dust.

I was impressed with Union’s offense. I just think they’re gonna be in a heap of trouble if someone shuts down there run game. They dominated graham at the LOS, just like I said they would... several folks didn’t wanna hear it but there were plenty of believers after the first quarter. I hope union wins, but this Appo team is no comparison to Graham.

Sorry Jefferson forest and liberty !! Buckingham moved into the James river
Up until 96-97 the Seminol District was Appomattox, Buckingham, Jefferson Forest, Amherst, Nelson, Staunton River, Rustburg,Brookville, Altavista, and William Campbell. We left in 96 my senior season but we never stopped playing Appomattox.

80yrd TD ? Uhh I think u mistaken I believe it was like a 30 to 40 yrd pass and it wasnt gonna go for a TD Graves would have tackled him. But lime Gator said, there was a block in the back so that play goes out the window. Grave was the better player that day. Hope he can do it again.

Mitchell did score a TD that was negated by a penalty. That's a fact.

How is Union's defense this year? Can they hold Appo to 21 points or less?
Very good. Best that Unions ever had and healthy. Last year, Unions best defensive player did not play v Appo, he is healthy this week.

They held a dynamic Graham offense to 0 points.

Reactions: FORT89
Correction graves was not guarding him on that play but he did catch him from behind. Also note he broke loose due to block in the back as it was brought back.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigWinners
Yeah....and I hit a homerun that went 500 foot.....but it was foul. That's a fact.

Grow up.[/QUOTE
His highlight film of that play was shown on techsideline and it ended up being talked about who was guy that caught him from behind. Mitchell does have serious speed and believe me he had Appo's attention after that.

Reactions: BigWinners
Correction graves was not guarding him on that play but he catch him from behind. Also note 'e broke loose due to block in the back as it was brought back.

The block in the back was a very iffy call but you're right.

Mitchell isn't fastest Bear tho.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT