ADVERTISEMENT

Union vs Appo - let the talk begin

You just went clear over my head on that????..but anyway, the Raiders will come to play.
Sorry. I just have this feeling that Union will roll in this game but I could just need a snack. Hunger pain. LoL!!! Anyway, I just ate and it’s still there.

Not to say you or @Stabler1980 are wrong, because I dont know the answer. But if they didn't have playoffs or anything, and I am assuming not in record books as such, how can you say you win state championships? Is it going by record? I am just assuming as since there were no where near as many schools back then, that others would have been undefeated. This is not meant as a shot, I am truly curious

My Dad played for Bragg and they had great football in the 50's & 60's under him. That was when Appo played Bedford (Liberty, JF, Staunton River) Martinsville, GW Danville, Brookville, Farmville , Altavista Augusta Military, Hampton etc. ,etc. I am not sure why there was no play-off format for those teams when others such as TC Williams ,etc. had playoffs...I suppose it had to do with bigger schools having the financing for more organization/administration and additional games...thus steps in the "glorious VHSL " .LOL ..While I feel they would have been tough in playoff runs with many of their teams, it is hard to truly say who would be a state champ unless you have a playoff format.

I will say that if you look at Appo over the years, they played in the same leagues with many eventual state champions who won multiple championships while representing the Seminole or Dogwood ; Altavista (3 X), Gretna (5 or 6x ), William Campbell (2 or 3 x), Rustburg(3x), Amherst (2 or 3x),JF (1 or 2x),Liberty(1 or 2x), Heritage(2x) as well as Brookville and Buckingham(with deep playoff run's). (Don't quote me on the numbers but they are pretty darn close).

So for the last 20 or so years,our conference teams beat us before beating everyone else in the state ...and we were usually competitive. No excuse we just never quite got over the hump although we have always had good athlete's. I would venture to say (as would others) , had Coach Smith and his staff been in Appo for the last 20 years...things would have been different, but you know what they say about "If''s and But's"...LOL
So no we don't have a pedigree like PV or Appalachia when it comes to football championships, but we have "been around" for a while.

Last edited:
been around long time, only school in the county. classed different back in 70 & 80's. equivalent to 3A now. always competitive and in top half of the seminole district in 70 & 80's. 83 team lost to Martinsville deep in the playoffs. back then not many made the playoffs. you could go 8-2 and not make the playoffs from what I could remember. a few down years in 90's but other than that always in top 3rd of the dogwood. Have always played seminole teams which is tough most of the time usually causing 2 to 3 losses in the year. I can think of about about 8 to 10 D1 athletes 4 of which played higher than college level. Boo Boo Trent played CFL & NFL. Kevin Ferguson played NFL, Lindsay Fleshman played arena football & there was a linebacker from the 70s I believe played NFL for the Cowboys. They have a rich history but no where near as many titles as Union. I remember the Entertainment tonight did a piece in 1983 on the them saying they were one of the top 10 winning schools.
thanks for reminding me about that 83 team. I forgot about Kevin Ferguson that went on to play with UVA at QB, right? Many people still know that game play by play...played on a wet rainy day, correct?

Lindsay was probably the best WR I ever seen in Appo (Buster Henderson was pretty dang good but not as fast). We hung out all the time back in the day. That is my dude! Last I seen him...he was working at Lowes in Madison Heights. You do know that Tevin Hurt is his son? Yep....the one in 10th grade. Did he play football this year? I know he didnt his freshman year but played basketball (dunking easily as a freshman).

And...well the 'LATE' GREAT BOO BOO Trent!!! His daughter is my wife. I enjoyed being around him the little time I knew him.

thanks for reminding me about that 83 team. I forgot about Kevin Ferguson that went on to play with UVA at QB, right? Many people still know that game play by play...played on a wet rainy day, correct?

Lindsay was probably the best WR I ever seen in Appo (Buster Henderson was pretty dang good but not as fast). We hung out all the time back in the day. That is my dude! Last I seen him...he was working at Lowes in Madison Heights. You do know that Tevin Hurt is his son? Yep....the one in 10th grade. Did he play football this year? I know he didnt his freshman year but played basketball (dunking easily as a freshman).

And...well the 'LATE' GREAT BOO BOO Trent!!! His daughter is my wife. I enjoyed being around him the little time I knew him.

I dont know who he is, but you married HIS daughter, so they question is really did he enjoy you lol

Wow, I'm gone for a few days and this place blows up. Loved reading about Coach Bragg and the Old School Raiders! I saw a stat that his record was 175-35-10 in 22 years of coaching.

BTW, I talked to Irie's wife at Walmart last week. Hadn't seen him in a few years, she said he's doing well.

Nothing new to add other than,

#ThatFGWasGood!

#GORaiders
#BeatUnion

Reactions: AdvocateOfMany434

BooBoo was a beast could also hit a softball a mile. He was guiet guy except on the field he was there to beat you.

You guys must be older than me lol I remember hearing about boo boo when i was dating my now ex wife back in 1978.

I would almost guarantee if Appo loses, there will immediately be fingers pointed to officiating.
Like the supposed missed FG ay Glenvar the camera man threw his hands up like its GOOD... then the reffs was loomed at each other forever and then said no good. First time EVER I seen coach Smith walk on the field half way and was like, uh why wasnt it good. Lol, oh and there was PLENTY of bad spots that they had to bring the chains out but guess what that still didnt work, we had it by a nose. I wont call out officiating unless it is far and beyond one sided. Just love fairness.

Like the supposed missed FG ay Glenvar the camera man threw his hands up like its GOOD... then the reffs was loomed at each other forever and then said no good. First time EVER I seen coach Smith walk on the field half way and was like, uh why wasnt it good. Lol, oh and there was PLENTY of bad spots that they had to bring the chains out but guess what that still didnt work, we had it by a nose. I wont call out officiating unless it is far and beyond one sided. Just love fairness.

I have seen a lot about this FG. What is the story? Was it really close to uprights or something?

As for spots, that isn't something one should complain about. If it's close, measure. You said by a nose, so that is something you can't see easily. Yes a fan from one side or another is sure one way or the other, but if in doubt measure

I have seen a lot about this FG. What is the story? Was it really close to uprights or something?

As for spots, that isn't something one should complain about. If it's close, measure. You said by a nose, so that is something you can't see easily. Yes a fan from one side or another is sure one way or the other, but if in doubt measure
Glenvar has short goal post and that ball was HIGH and long, it was probably hard for them to see it. It would have went for 50 more than likely

I’m excited to see the atmosphere Saturday. I’ve seen plenty of Richlands @ Union and Richlands @ PV games, but this one should be crazier, if that’s possible.

I do know it’s Appo vs. SWVA. I personally know more than 50 Richlands fans who are headed down to cheer for Union, and I’d assume there will be fans from all other SWVA communities represented.

Should be a fun one.
hw many richland fans would cheer for swva if it were graham vs appo?? i feel deep down richlands would cheer for almost anyone over appo after the last 2 yrs... i dont know that forsure, but last yr we always felt like we were on a collision course for a richlands rematch and it happened. alot of respect for that program there of the blues tbh... not real sure what richland fans truely think of appo... but there is a lvl of respect in appo for them

This game want be as close as most think. It should be considering it’s the west final. Read this and remember it, The wheels are going to fall off the Appo bus coming down the road. I hope that doesn’t literally happen but some will understand what I’m saying. Appo fans will leave saying, what the heck happened? I’ve never seen anything like that in all the years I’ve been watching football. Some times it’s better that way, than losing by 1 point. Just my opinion and I hope everyone GETS a rash.
well appo is hoping someone will make a video this yr like that guy from richlands did last yr “ we going to slap them right in the face” something like that. It however was an inaccurate prediction ... but he surely felt strong about his prediction before kickoff didn’t he.....

hw many richland fans would cheer for swva if it were graham vs appo?? i feel deep down richlands would cheer for almost anyone over appo after the last 2 yrs... i dont know that forsure, but last yr we always felt like we were on a collision course for a richlands rematch and it happened. alot of respect for that program there of the blues tbh... not real sure what richland fans truely think of appo... but there is a lvl of respect in appo for them

I'm not sure if it's like this in areas east of Roanoke but in SWVA you root for whatever team is the last SWVA team left standing. I'm no where near a Richlands fan and I give their fans hell all year, I'm sure If you ask any Richlands fan they'll vouch for that, but when they've been the last team left from SWVA I became a fan and stick up for them like I'm an alumnus.

That has a lot to do with it but Appomattox is getting the Patriots/Alabama treatment, where you've been dominant over the last 3 seasons that people that normally wouldn't have a rooting interest are lining up to see you lose. Don't take that personally.

I'm a Richlands fan and I have much respect for Appo but more respect for our SWVA teams and will pull for any team that's left in the area. And I always pull for the underdog. I know Union is rated higher this year but after last year I still feel Union is the underdog. Just hoping for a good game. This will be the last game for some special players.

Reactions: Bigrhsfan
I obviously didn't see it, but if it went directly over top upright, that is no good. Most think that is good, that's why I was asking
No the ball was more center than it was close to right up right. The ball landed on top of the cameras positioned in the middle of goal post

Honestly and I may carried off into the Pines for this, but no I don't think they will stay full. Time heals and people move on. I will predict a 7 and 3 season next year.
I didn't think Appo had as many fans at the Giles game this year as they did last year. Last year the Appo side was packed and it was hard to get to the restrooms and concession stand. There was a good crowd this year but not the number from last year or so it appeared. What was really sad was the number of fans from Mannassas Park at the 2006 championship game. Giles had the JMU side full and there prob weren't 250 people from MP. Same thing when we played Brunswick when Giles won State at Salem a few years ago except that they prob didn't have 100. A bunch of our people left early at that game thinking it was over. I remember a lady standing up with about 2 min left yelling for our fans to "sit your a--es back down, the games not over"! How prophetic that was. I think that's the year that Lee beat Appo and we played them the next week.

Reactions: oldfool
well appo is hoping someone will make a video this yr like that guy from richlands did last yr “ we going to slap them right in the face” something like that. It however was an inaccurate prediction ... but he surely felt strong about his prediction before kickoff didn’t he.....
Hell, I can’t remember yesterday, much less last year. LoL!! Best I can say, screenshot it. I’ll be back if I’m wrong.

Appo has the longest trip by far. The Raiders won't make excuses. They are a classy bunch, but I wonder if it will be a factor.

Travel distances:
Class 1
Riverheads to Middlesex 166 miles
Chilhowie to Galax 75 miles
Class 2
Poquoson to Robert E. Lee-Staunton 182 miles
Appomattox county to Union 264 miles
Class 3
James Monroe to Hopewell 80 miles
Heritage-Lynchburg to Staunton River 32 miles
Class 4
Lafayette to Louisa county 108 miles
Sherando to Salem 171 miles
Class 5
Nansemond River to Highland Springs 91 miles
Stafford to Tuscarora 72 miles
Class 6
Oscar Smith to Colonial Forge 165 miles
Woodbridge to Westfield 22 miles

Appo has the longest trip by far. The Raiders won't make excuses. They are a classy bunch, but I wonder if it will be a factor.

Travel distances:
Class 1
Riverheads to Middlesex 166 miles
Chilhowie to Galax 75 miles
Class 2
Poquoson to Robert E. Lee-Staunton 182 miles
Appomattox county to Union 264 miles
Class 3
James Monroe to Hopewell 80 miles
Heritage-Lynchburg to Staunton River 32 miles
Class 4
Lafayette to Louisa county 108 miles
Sherando to Salem 171 miles
Class 5
Nansemond River to Highland Springs 91 miles
Stafford to Tuscarora 72 miles
Class 6
Oscar Smith to Colonial Forge 165 miles
Woodbridge to Westfield 22 miles

264 miles doesn't sound much fun at all, but, 264 miles on a bus is just cruel. Those last 30-50 miles up those mountains will seem like they are taking days! :D:D

They will probably leave Friday around noon. Stop at VATech and practice, by far they will be the best team that has touched that field all year. LoL!! Stop and grab something to eat before heading to the hotel. Do they have hotels in big stone gap??? Eat again, play PlayStation all night before walking on to the field.

264 miles doesn't sound much fun at all, but, 264 miles on a bus is just cruel. Those last 30-50 miles up those mountains will seem like they are taking days! :D:D

If you make the cut through Tennessee as mentioned earlier in the thread, you won't have any mountainous roads at all.

Reactions: obguthr
Or if you want to get car sick. Haha

Hey Union Fan!

How is taking 81s about 30 miles below Bristol (looks to be 30 miles) and then catching 26 N which looks like it turns into 23 to BSG?

Thanks Sir!

Hey Union Fan!

How is taking 81s about 30 miles below Bristol (looks to be 30 miles) and then catching 26 N which looks like it turns into 23 to BSG?

Thanks Sir!
That's one of the 2 routes I would suggest. And 26 does indeed turn into 23 at the Tennessee/Virginia line.

It is basically the same amount of time as 81 to 11W(Bristol to Kingsport) to 23

That's one of the 2 routes I would suggest. And 26 does indeed turn into 23 at the Tennessee/Virginia line.

It is basically the same amount of time as 81 to 11W(Bristol to Kingsport) to 23

Thank you Sir!
Looking forward to seeing the hype I'm hearing about. Should be an awesome atmosphere!

Thank you Sir!
Looking forward to seeing the hype I'm hearing about. Should be an awesome atmosphere!
Very welcome! You need to be there when the gates open, so you can see several hundred of us making a mad dash for the stands to lay blankets down for all the lazy bums that don't like to wait in line. No offence @BigWinners ;) jk

You won't be disappointed in that or the atmosphere. Pizza is great too.

Very welcome! You need to be there when the gates open, so you can see several hundred of us making a mad dash for the stands to lay blankets down for all the lazy bums that don't like to wait in line. No offence @BigWinners ;) jk

You won't be disappointed in that or the atmosphere. Pizza is great too.

Will try. I think I'm taking food for the team so I'm at the mercy of thier schedule somewhat. Really hoping I can get seats but will probably get there around 1:00.
Told my wife that we are eating there and not stopping after feeding the team.

Plans on this end are still up in the air somewhat on the travel (at least to us parents LOL!!!)

For what it's worth. Lots of respect up here for Union, Richlands, and Giles. Some battles over the past two years with those schools!
Some kind words have been thrown Appomattox's way on here and the SWVA form and just know that the respect goes both ways.
In saying all that,......GO RAIDERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Will try. I think I'm taking food for the team so I'm at the mercy of thier schedule somewhat. Really hoping I can get seats but will probably get there around 1:00.
Told my wife that we are eating there and not stopping after feeding the team.

Plans on this end are still up in the air somewhat on the travel (at least to us parents LOL!!!)

For what it's worth. Lots of respect up here for Union, Richlands, and Giles. Some battles over the past two years with those schools!
Some kind words have been thrown Appomattox's way on here and the SWVA form and just know that the respect goes both ways.
In saying all that,......GO RAIDERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
If you get here by 1 you should be fine for the seats. I haven't confirmed, but I'm hearing they are bringing in additional stands.

Speaking of respect, we know we have a tough game on our hands Saturday and respect what Appo has put together in 2015, 16, and this year so far. We're just hoping our boys win and move on to Salem. Nothing personal. :)

Safe travels!

Reactions: Hburghokie
getting closer to game day ! Hump day and when I played the last full pad practice before light pads and helmets to do walk throughs , don't know if how things are done these days !i am looking for the raiders to handle this one! I am sure the players and coaches are so ready for this game ! Been looking a lot at the comments on here and on swva site and looks like some of the union people think this will be a cake walk ! I can assure that won't happen , this team has a lot of grit and the will to win for that , hope all of these fine young men on both teams have fun and enjoy the moment because you will always remember, this is special and something to cherish! Hope all the fans stay safe and show respect for each other , hope for the refs to be fair and honest and have a good game ! Have a great game and go raiders !!!

If you get here by 1 you should be fine for the seats. I haven't confirmed, but I'm hearing they are bringing in additional stands.

Speaking of respect, we know we have a tough game on our hands Saturday and respect what Appo has put together in 2015, 16, and this year so far. We're just hoping our boys win and move on to Salem. Nothing personal. :)

Safe travels!

From what I understand they are bringing in some aluminum bleachers to put near the flag pole and in the grass near the restrooms.

Reactions: Union_Fan
Hey Appomattox guys..

Will Graves re-open his recruitment now that it looks like Dave Doeren is going to end up at Tennessee?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT