ADVERTISEMENT

Valley District Boys Basketball 17-18

Oct 27, 2017
I've been away from the area but have recently moved back to the Valley and want to attend some hoops contests this winter.

Correct me if I'm wrong on these basic facts...
1. Lee is gone and it's a shame
2. Spotswood is KING until somebody else does something about it
3. Rockbridge County is back in the fold
4. Harrisonburg is a 5A school in a 3A district...but still not that great
5. Broadway and Fort are okay every now and then
6. TA is terrible
7. Waynesboro is down

What does the upcoming season look like? Predictions? What are the must see games for a guy moving back into the area?

You’re right about all those things...Spotswood and Lee still play each other, check that out. Also check out Spotswood/East Rock, that’s a fun rivalry to catch. Harrisonburg should be improved, very athletic.
Broadway/Spotswood girls has turned into a good rivalry as well, the 2 best girls basketball programs in the state over the last five years.

Lee will be good...
Harrisonburg has been back on the rise recently, Hburg-Charlottesville at Harrisonburg should be fun featuring two very athletic teams
Spotswood will be a bit down but should still win the district
Waynesboro is down as well
Broadway will be decent
Rockbridge will be decent

I'd make it a point to get to Broadway/Spotswood, if I were you. As someone already pointed out, the girls programs are 2 of the top 5 programs in the entire state. The Broadway boys are going to be pretty good this year and could give Spotswood fits. Although the Blazers are not as down as everyone seems to indicate, Broadway is up even from where they've been the last couple years. Those games would be two (@ BHS, @ SHS) I'd want on my calendar in the area because of the Girl/Boy Doubleheader. The SHS/Lee game at Rockbridge is going to be a good one- and Oak Hill plays the game prior. So I'd be making that trip as well.

Predictions, since you asked (this is a tough one, but I'll give it a whirl):
1. Spotswood- until someone can prove otherwise, I've got to put them here
2. Broadway- see note above
3. Harrisonburg- tons of athleticism, could finish as high as #1
4. Rockbridge- year in and year out, these guys play hard for Plogger
5. Fort- key returners for the Indians could allow them to finish as high as #3
6. Waynesboro- young and growing, decent athleticism though
7. TA- I just don't see the Knights moving up this season

Last edited:
Good question, Robbie. I like a lot of Broadway's parts. Harrisonburg has, at times, been inconsistent. And I think the Valley will be very competitive this year- so a random slip-up could cost a team like Harrisonburg. It wouldn't surprise me if Harrisonburg won the District but it wouldn't surprise me if they finished 3rd behind SHS and BHS, either.

Harrisonburg has much potential, they are also somewhat rusty with 2 football players starting, look to see them get much better as the season improves. Broadway will be very disciplined I think.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT