ADVERTISEMENT

VHSL Clarification

DEVILSLB99

VaPreps All District
Gold Member
Dec 19, 2005
Hello all looks like you all are still going strong. Here's some insight from the "inside"
In our March meetings last year at state basketball we were offered up a couple of different ideas:
Option 1: A vs. B and C vs. D and that always be the setup no rotating

Option 2: A vs. B and C vs. D, then a rotation to A vs. C and B vs. D, but never rotating to A vs. D.
Ex. Yr 1 A vs. B Yr. 2 A vs. C Yr 3 A vs. B

Option 3: A vs. B and C vs. D, A vs. C and B vs. D, A vs. D and B vs. C, which is basically the old old system that we were used to before realignment

Now with all these letters and that being said the schools out West at TOTALLY against A vs. D. Now I'm not going to say because of competitive reasons because Salem has proved they are a good program, but under the guise of travel and missed class time. The VHSL admits the old setup and the tweaks made in the last couple of years didn't work. The A and B schools are all for option 3 region C is like whatever and region D is for option 1. From sitting in the room and taking a look at the responses that's what I came up with. I think while Option 3 gives us a TRUE state champion and equitable representation I look for Option 1 to maybe pass. The VHSL just said lets make it through this year and then we will see what we have.

Couple of big changes happened that I believe went relatively unnoticed and I've been trying to tell people and the York coach was one on Saturday that didn't know this. When we had our membership meeting back in October the change about highest rating not region hosting was first brought up. So no predetermined sites for state semifinals. Also there is no more "cross-bracketing" because that's what he was thinking. But to me the biggest change is the fact there there are no more "pre-determined" state final sites. Team will not know where they are playing for the finals until they know who all is playing in the finals. The VHSL pointed out the 3A final from last year and how they could have moved either the 1A or 2A game to W&M and played the 3A game in Salem and made a killing. Each of the three sites are guaranteed two games they just don't know which two until the matchups are set.

But to me the biggest change is the fact there there are no more "pre-determined" state final sites. Team will not know where they are playing for the finals until they know who all is playing in the finals. The VHSL pointed out the 3A final from last year and how they could have moved either the 1A or 2A game to W&M and played the 3A game in Salem and made a killing. Each of the three sites are guaranteed two games they just don't know which two until the matchups are set.

I like this. Better yet, I love this. This may be the best decision the VHSL has made in my recent memory. We hound the VHSL when they make mistakes or poor decisions, but they deserve praise when they make a change that is better for everyone. Cheers to them.

Reactions: gwb16
Thanks devilsLB99- the point on the finals is huge and no one I knew had an idea about this. Makes sense to try to the finals game as close those fans home base as possible.

Reactions: gwb16 and OCBoy
Hello all looks like you all are still going strong. Here's some insight from the "inside"
In our March meetings last year at state basketball we were offered up a couple of different ideas:
Option 1: A vs. B and C vs. D and that always be the setup no rotating

Option 2: A vs. B and C vs. D, then a rotation to A vs. C and B vs. D, but never rotating to A vs. D.
Ex. Yr 1 A vs. B Yr. 2 A vs. C Yr 3 A vs. B

Option 3: A vs. B and C vs. D, A vs. C and B vs. D, A vs. D and B vs. C, which is basically the old old system that we were used to before realignment

Now with all these letters and that being said the schools out West at TOTALLY against A vs. D. Now I'm not going to say because of competitive reasons because Salem has proved they are a good program, but under the guise of travel and missed class time. The VHSL admits the old setup and the tweaks made in the last couple of years didn't work. The A and B schools are all for option 3 region C is like whatever and region D is for option 1. From sitting in the room and taking a look at the responses that's what I came up with. I think while Option 3 gives us a TRUE state champion and equitable representation I look for Option 1 to maybe pass. The VHSL just said lets make it through this year and then we will see what we have.

Couple of big changes happened that I believe went relatively unnoticed and I've been trying to tell people and the York coach was one on Saturday that didn't know this. When we had our membership meeting back in October the change about highest rating not region hosting was first brought up. So no predetermined sites for state semifinals. Also there is no more "cross-bracketing" because that's what he was thinking. But to me the biggest change is the fact there there are no more "pre-determined" state final sites. Team will not know where they are playing for the finals until they know who all is playing in the finals. The VHSL pointed out the 3A final from last year and how they could have moved either the 1A or 2A game to W&M and played the 3A game in Salem and made a killing. Each of the three sites are guaranteed two games they just don't know which two until the matchups are set.
So let’s say Hylton Westfield Colonial Forge and Oscar Smith are in the final four. Say Oscar Smith is beat by Forge. I wonder where that state championship will be played with the others all being in northern va. Are they really going to send two teams beside each other to Hampton to play? That’s why I think James Madison or UVA should always be some kind of site because the Nova ($$$) teams have nothing close to them

Last edited:
Reactions: gwb16
So let’s say Hylton Westfield Colonial Forge and Oscar Smith are in the final four. Say Oscar Smith is beat by Forge. I wonder where that state championship will be played with the others all being in northern va. Are they really going to send two teams beside each other to Hampton to play? That’s why I think James Madison or UVA should always be some kind of site because the Nova ($$$) teams have nothing close to them

As far as I know, they still have contracts with the 3 areas that host. I could be wrong though

As far as I know, they still have contracts with the 3 areas that host. I could be wrong though
That’s correct like devils said there will be 2 games at each location regardless. My question was in reference to what if the 6A game is two schools within 15 miles of each other would you have them go all the way to Hampton and lose money.

That’s correct like devils said there will be 2 games at each location regardless. My question was in reference to what if the 6A game is two schools within 15 miles of each other would you have them go all the way to Hampton and lose money.

I would assume that only game that couldn't be a specific place is Salem?

It sure would. But the bigger question is if they still have contracts with the 3 schools. If they do, then not a big difference
I think the contract is up for review for next year and beyond, but I'm not positive about that.

Yeah they would never let Salem play a home game for the 4A championship. That wouldn't be fair, but it would be a good crowd.

It would make for an amusing time though if that scenario came around and the points ended up dictating that Salem would be the visitors in their own stadium, especially for the fans. Wouldn't happen of course, but fun to think about.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT