ADVERTISEMENT

VHSL Class 4 All State

So what you are saying a kid who isnt good enough to be selected all region by the coaches who know him well should be considered for all state by three regions coaches who may not know the kid at all. Wow! That would be a disaster.
First or second team should qualify. Allow for mistakes to be corrected

Reactions: close2salem
First off, congrats to all the players who were awarded. A couple head scratchers for me are Driscoll as 2nd team DL and Fluud not making either team as QB. Losing out to a pair of Juniors QBs? Politics reign supreme.
Surprisingly, Fludd wasn't first team all region and as you know, you have to be first team all region in order to be considered for all state at all.

Reactions: one man
So what you are saying a kid who isnt good enough to be selected all region by the coaches who know him well should be considered for all state by three regions coaches who may not know the kid at all. Wow! That would be a disaster.

Sometimes local coaches aren't as objective as they should be, this would allow for the potential to correct such oversights.

Reactions: close2salem
Sometimes local coaches aren't as objective as they should be, this would allow for the potential to correct such oversights.
Those same coaches vote for all state. There are reasons players dont make these teams guys and it starts with their own coaches.

Reading other places, it seems Salem folks are very upset and feel wronged. They seem to think they were left off on purpose. Maybe So? Since I dont know the players, who do the Salem faithful think should have been there thst weren't and who do you remove to make room for them. I also saw the complaining about the all star game?

Someone said the system is broken. So the coaches selecting it isn't Good? Would it be better if it were news writers? Or should it be fans? I'm
It shouldn't be limited to first team all-region. What if one region is loaded and their 2nd team is clearly better than the first team picks in the other regions? Regions isn't the best process either. I know a kid who played on a state championship team and logged over 100 tackles at LB and didn't even get an all-region honorable mention. That's wrong.

Like I said BleedingN, this board could have done a better job. Process broken. Virtual meeting better idea. I still like appointed committee idea. You would be great on it
Virtual meetings are already an option. The VHSL allows these meetings to be held electronically IF participating coaches so choose.

Reactions: Louisadad
I would agree VolNation and for the most part the good coaches know the good players. All I have saying is some coaches dont care, nor do they do research.

Reactions: VolNation85
I think Salem fans arguing for more than they got are pushing it outside of Ramsey for POTY which seems pretty agreeable to non-Salem fans. But most of us are just arguing about the poor representation of the West, specifically the part of the West that's actually west and not "so far north and heavily populated if we counted this as east there'd be like 10 West schools".

0 from GW Danville, 0 from Blacksburg, 0 from Amherst, JF, etc. it just seems a bit more lopsided than it should be.
Lopsided indeed

It shouldn't be limited to first team all-region. What if one region is loaded and their 2nd team is clearly better than the first team picks in the other regions? Regions isn't the best process either. I know a kid who played on a state championship team and logged over 100 tackles at LB and didn't even get an all-region honorable mention. That's wrong.
Brandon Smith didn't even get Jefferson District DPOY. Thurston is a great player but his stats/performance wasn't close to getting that over Smith, but he did. Very curious as to why....

For those who continue to have concerns pick your all state team. Only first team defense, offense, kicker, punter, two utility players.

The gard part is where do you put guys like Hunter, Bell, and other players who do so much for their team.

Props go out to Bell. The kid played his butt off this year and owned some very good teams. Ramsey did the same and could have been a sound choice. Bell really doesnt have a position in the normal sense, because of the offense Louisa runs, but I am glad we dont have to face him again. Ramsey for that matter as well.

Reactions: panther308
I think Salem fans arguing for more than they got are pushing it outside of Ramsey for POTY which seems pretty agreeable to non-Salem fans. But most of us are just arguing about the poor representation of the West, specifically the part of the West that's actually west and not "so far north and heavily populated if we counted this as east there'd be like 10 West schools".

0 from GW Danville, 0 from Blacksburg, 0 from Amherst, JF, etc. it just seems a bit more lopsided than it should be.

I said reading other places as well. Saying doesn't respect Salem, etc. I dont know the kids, so I dont know who should or shouldn't be, but there was also a lot of complaining about no players in all star game.

But here is what I see. People complaining the system is broken. Coaches would know the most. If you did reporters, it would mean more towards certain papers, so that doesn't work. And this board, no offense but there is an overwhelming majority of posters from Salem. You notice what has been brought up multiple times, we beat Louisa and they get poy. Whether that is correct or not, people are making that statement because of a team win instead of state team being individual efforts for a SEASON.

Reactions: OCBoy
Reporters would be totally fine, they're far less invested than coaches.

And like one or two people here said "we beat Louisa, Ramsey should be POTY" which is still a smaller number than non-Salem fans who said they thought Ramsey should be POTY in that "4a players and Coaches" thread. Nobody's really even up in arms about it either, it's not like Bell was a horrible choice or anything. He was a do-anything for a team one win from state, that's totally fine.

Reactions: cb2018
I think people are saying the voting is political, vote for mine, I’ll vote for yours. If the system demands a HC show up to campaign for his own players, the system isn’t recognizing the best players. I also agree 100%, it is the way it is and those HCs should at least show up. I honestly couldn’t care less, I no longer have a dog in the fight, but change is needed.

I personally would have given offensive POY to Ramsey but I don't have a problem with Bell. Defensive POY should not have been Thurston. Patterson or Smith would both have been better choices.

I also agree with many others here saying Fludd should have been 1st team QB but as I understand, he wasn't 1st team all region.

Not sure about Blake Williams for Dinwiddie being a first team DL. Omar Tyson was by far the best Dinwiddie DL from everything I saw... I thought he would for sure be 1st team. Driscoll probably should have been 1st team also.

Reactions: Driscoll65
Reporters would be totally fine, they're far less invested than coaches.

And like one or two people here said "we beat Louisa, Ramsey should be POTY" which is still a smaller number than non-Salem fans who said they thought Ramsey should be POTY in that "4a players and Coaches" thread. Nobody's really even up in arms about it either, it's not like Bell was a horrible choice or anything. He was a do-anything for a team one win from state, that's totally fine.

I am not saying someone should be in over another. From what I saw Ramsey was the best player. But no reporters wouldn't be less biased, it would just be certain areas IMO. I'll use my area as an example, the paper here always has inaccurate information, so the area with the Bull Run district would be better.

I dont know what the paper situation is there, but just imagine there is a good paper in Roanoke, you could have all 3 like that, where somewhere else is lacking. I dont know what the best answer is, but coaches know a lot more than reporters or fans

For those who continue to have concerns pick your all state team. Only first team defense, offense, kicker, punter, two utility players.

The gard part is where do you put guys like Hunter, Bell, and other players who do so much for their team.

Props go out to Bell. The kid played his butt off this year and owned some very good teams. Ramsey did the same and could have been a sound choice. Bell really doesnt have a position in the normal sense, because of the offense Louisa runs, but I am glad we dont have to face him again. Ramsey for that matter as well.
Not gonna try that one Navy and open the floodgates.. lol. Still in awe that the State Champs didn’t have more on first teams though. Can’t argue much about Anspach on first team and Craft on 2nd team. Just traded spots from last year and even being 2nd team all state is a feat in itself. Anspach’s numbers were better than Craft’s this year but he was utilized way more by Coach Mills thus having more opportunities. They are both great kickers and great kids as well. Plus I believe they are good friends too so I’m sure they have talked by now.
Most interesting to me is where will all the selections be able to play at the next level? Hopefully they will all have the opportunity of a great education and football career in college. They are all deserving and it was one of the most fun seasons to watch many of them play!

Reactions: cb2018
Great points Panther. There are a lot of players on this list that will not play another down of football and some who will. I personally have enjoyed seeing a lot of them play their tails off for us fans and appreciate them.

Shabutie, I agree in my opinion Tyson was the more complete lineman for Dinwiddie, but Williams pass rushing ability and athletic plays must have caught the coaches eyes. In fact, there were a lot of defensive lineman who could have made this team.

Even though it looks lopsided I find it hard to question the coaches. They watch tons of film, attend 7-7 tournaments and various camps. They know who is good, but maybe we should hang our hats on the va preps all state teams. Just like the polls I find their opinions to be quite accurate.

Great points Panther. There are a lot of players on this list that will not play another down of football and some who will. I personally have enjoyed seeing a lot of them play their tails off for us fans and appreciate them.

Shabutie, I agree in my opinion Tyson was the more complete lineman for Dinwiddie, but Williams pass rushing ability and athletic plays must have caught the coaches eyes. In fact, there were a lot of defensive lineman who could have made this team.

Even though it looks lopsided I find it hard to question the coaches. They watch tons of film, attend 7-7 tournaments and various camps. They know who is good, but maybe we should hang our hats on the va preps all state teams. Just like the polls I find their opinions to be quite accurate.
When does the Preps list come out?

I personally would have given offensive POY to Ramsey but I don't have a problem with Bell. Defensive POY should not have been Thurston. Patterson or Smith would both have been better choices.

I also agree with many others here saying Fludd should have been 1st team QB but as I understand, he wasn't 1st team all region.

Not sure about Blake Williams for Dinwiddie being a first team DL. Omar Tyson was by far the best Dinwiddie DL from everything I saw... I thought he would for sure be 1st team. Driscoll probably should have been 1st team also.
Tyson did not make first team all region.

Just to dispel the notion that "the East' teams aren't aware of the talent in the "West", EC Glass linebacker received the most votes at LB and he finished a very close 2nd place for Defensive POY. He received more votes at LB than Pope from Dinwiddie, Smith from Louisa, Whalen from Louisa, Tyree from Dinwiddie, and Canady from Lafayette.

Ummmm this is wrong. Pope was the top vote getter at LB, then Smith, then the kid from Glass who Mags spoke highly of which helped him out. The POY was Thurston vs Erwin from Lafayette. Someone gave you some bad intel. I have all the numbers along with the person that ran the meeting since I was calculating the results.

Now as far as the virtual meeting goes or email in votes. Meeting face to face allows coaches the opportunity to fight for their kids like the coach that drove down for their one kid. The last four years the meeting has been at the VHSL headquarters and it was scheduled to be there again. I held my all state meeting at Monacan Sun am (boys volleyball) so the AD down here that's in charge had his meeting there as well. Meeting location can't be used as an excuse for who made the team which I've seen. Again coaches need to show up.

I guess the argument on who was the underdog in Salems games against Louisa and Dinwiddie is settled. Louisa 6 first team all state and the offensive and defensive players of the year to Salems four first team all state and no players of the year. Dinwiddie 9 first and second team all state to Salems six first and second team all state. Apparently Salem WAS a huge underdog to both teams this year. In addition Blacksburg must have been 5-5 again this year according to the All State awards they received.

Reactions: JOrndorff

Blacksburg has 3 and 2 from Amherst

Southbottom, this may surprise you, but I find some of the Dinwiddie selections a bit odd as well, but I am a fan. I went back and looked at the All Region B team and all I can say is Coach Mills did a good job promoting his players. I am not saying they were not deserving, but the current system clearly mandates first team region players are the ones reviewed for all state. Is it a perfect system absolutely not. Did some of the Blacksburg players get placed lower than expected? Probably, but without someone their own coach and other than other region d coaches pushing for them things did not fall into place.

I tried to do an honest all state first team list and I can tell you its almost impossible to include everyone. Imagine if five of us did it. The spilt votes for certain players/positions would skew the whole thing. I know this is what happens in the coaches meetings. Votes get split and the majority wins.

If any poster desires to make a list of first team offense, defense and special teams send it to me by private message. I will tally up the votes and give everyone the winners By doing it this way we will not have the influence of others effecting voting. I can almost promise there will be some shockers. If anyone decides to do this make it by Friday and please do your homework.

Have a safe holiday.

Reactions: OCBoy
Doesn't surprise me at all. Always thought you were an honest poster. Fair is your middle name.

Ummmm this is wrong. Pope was the top vote getter at LB, then Smith, then the kid from Glass who Mags spoke highly of which helped him out. The POY was Thurston vs Erwin from Lafayette. Someone gave you some bad intel. I have all the numbers along with the person that ran the meeting since I was calculating the results.

Now as far as the virtual meeting goes or email in votes. Meeting face to face allows coaches the opportunity to fight for their kids like the coach that drove down for their one kid. The last four years the meeting has been at the VHSL headquarters and it was scheduled to be there again. I held my all state meeting at Monacan Sun am (boys volleyball) so the AD down here that's in charge had his meeting there as well. Meeting location can't be used as an excuse for who made the team which I've seen. Again coaches need to show up.
Thanks for the correction.

Reactions: DEVILSLB99
Congratulations to all student athletes who received these honors. Thank You fans for supporting these student athletes.

Reactions: Lafayette
My thoughts on Fludd not being number 1 QB in the region or state is Pope had a tremendous year and statistically a better season. But if I was hand picking my team Fludd would be my QB.

Also, I would have hand picked Izayah Reeves as a receiver as well but the three they chose are certainly deserving. Also, A bit surprised Martiese Phipps from Monacan is not on the list at least on the 2nd team.

I am also a bit shocked Cole Beck is not on the first team offense.

Sidenote: Bridy and Fludd both just got offers from VMI yesterday

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
When it comes down to it, it's just a pride thing....feather in the cap. It means absolutely NOTHING towards recruiting or having a better chance of getting on at the next level. EVERY year there will be players that should've got on, and players that shouldn't be on. There's no system you can come up with that will be totally completely 100% on the money....not possible when people are involved.

Especially when a few of the best players in the state are not on a winning team, and are left out of consideration during picking time. It’s meaningless.

Reactions: Louisadad
this thread reminds me of when I was a kid after Halloween and we were on the playground sharing candy. when we were all done sharing there were always the kids that said they didn't get as much as another kid did. guys you all know there is no perfect way to do this but the most qualified ppl are picked for this job so let it go. whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

this thread reminds me of when I was a kid after Halloween and we were on the playground sharing candy. when we were all done sharing there were always the kids that said they didn't get as much as another kid did. guys you all know there is no perfect way to do this but the most qualified ppl are picked for this job so let it go. whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

This is by far the dumbest argument in the entire thread. "You can't have discourse on a subject or else I'm gonna call you a baby".

Grow up, kiddo, the adults can talk and discuss.

if that's adult talk I will pass thank you very much. your worse than spoiled children because you didn't get what you wanted. I have no discourse in this subject because I didn't have ANY problems with the choices.

if that's adult talk I will pass thank you very much. your worse than spoiled children because you didn't get what you wanted. I have no discourse in this subject because I didn't have ANY problems with the choices.
Ignorance is bliss

Did you actually read this thread? It has been pretty civil...

yes I read it that why I posted because grown ups are knockin the choices that were made about these kids so how do you think it makes them feel seeing this crap. its 2 pages of whining about why someone else should have been chosen.

yes I read it that why I posted because grown ups are knockin the choices that were made about these kids so how do you think it makes them feel seeing this crap. its 2 pages of whining about why someone else should have been chosen.
Whining is probably the wrong word to use. It is a discussion...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT