ADVERTISEMENT

VHSL gives good ahead for sports but.......

Lafayette

VaPreps All District
Aug 26, 2001
They left the ridiculous attendance limit at 250! And that includes the players, coaches assistants. The goal was to lift that to 1,000. So in a normal football game with about a 100-125 players, coaches and assistants that leaves room for parents but little for any other fans. Why is everything in Virginia so difficult to do? First, most states are already playing - avoiding the virus run up this winter which was a smart move by them and now at an outside venue limiting attendance like Virginia is one of the worst states for cases, which it is not.

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
Yeah 250 is ridiculous and utterly stupid, especially for an outdoor game. Also no jump ball to start a basketball game? Don’t know how that’s going to solve anything guess kids will play defense 6 feet back? Was hoping the 757 was going to open The Scope up and play it’s marque basketball games there but I guess not with this stupid 250 cap. Could’ve definitely distanced in there and even the Arthur Ashe/Siegel Center (804), Dedmon Center, Roanoke and Salem Civic Center (Roanoke/NRV), Vines Center (Lynchburg) and GMU (NoVA).

Reactions: 38SuperPower
How are schools going to make money from sports when the capacity is 250? I am sorry but I am not sold there Is enough interest to stream a football or basketball game to make money. Plus reading the restrictions for lacrosse by not allowing cross checking but allowing full out contact in football is a head scratcher. I am wondering how many schools will opt out of playing or opt out of the VHSL.

No idea why you guys think an order given in October will stay the same for something in March, not when time moves ten times slower right now (it's only been about 8 months since we first started to somewhat lockdown in VA). As with everything concerning the pandemic, things will change up to and including the start date. The attendance rules were clearly being written with the winter schedule in mind and the "field" rules were clearly done just to have something on paper for the time being. They'll play it by ear and make a more informed decision down the road. Imagine the vitriol people would spew if they set the limit at 1,000+ now and Virginians made poor life decisions regarding the virus and they had to cut the limit down. It's a lot better to lowball this and be able to raise it down the road than the reverse.

How are schools going to make money from sports when the capacity is 250? I am sorry but I am not sold there Is enough interest to stream a football or basketball game to make money. Plus reading the restrictions for lacrosse by not allowing cross checking but allowing full out contact in football is a head scratcher. I am wondering how many schools will opt out of playing or opt out of the VHSL.

They won't and everyone will have to deal with it. Nobody's making money right now, especially in sports. LSU stands to lose 80 million. This pandemic is a crap sandwich and there's no skipping the lunch line, everyone has to line up and chow down and adjust to things as we go. I say that as a fan of a program who stands to lose far more revenue (90+%) if that 250 figure stays true. There are plenty of programs across the state where 250 isn't going to be that indistinguishable from a typical game anyway but a place like Salem, 250 in that stadium is closer to what middle-school teams get for fans. But Salem citizens always rally for the kids (recently just took a nice property tax boost so we can give the school a well-deserved update) and we'll do what we have to do to make things work out in the end, I'm sure many other localities will do the same.

Last edited:
Even without Covid, Feb and March weather will limit outdoor attendance. Attendance always drops off from late Oct on even for most playoff games. Three home games in cool/cold weather will be tough on the bottom line.

This pandemic is a crap sandwich and there's no skipping the lunch line
That is funny stuff right there. Made me smile!

Everybody should consider playing at 1:00 on Saturdays. It will be a little warmer and there isn't much to do on a late Feb/early March Saturday anyway. I don't care if they don't let any fans in as long as the kids get to play. But I do hope the parents can at least get in, even if it's just the senior parents.

Last edited:
I believe the jump ball rule is for the ref safety. The bigger problem will be all the loose balls due to hand sanitizer.
I heard the strategy for sanitizer is 2 game balls. And that way the sanitizer can dry and then repeat process.

Sanitizer leaves a residue. I’m sure they’ve got something they think won’t, but I bet there’s some issues with ball-handling this year.

Someone please explain to me why we are where we are with high-school sports, but yet our local Fredericksburg field house is bustling everyday/night with a packed house playing multiple mask less sports. Fredericksburg Christian and St. Michaels private schools are holding thier home high school football games here. I went by the other day to watch some private high school football, which was pretty good. If they allow all this action at one condensed location, then why in the heck cant our public schools get back to normal and also play sports?? One other thing, so our area schools are back to conditioning in person, agian lets get the kids back to full time school, they, teachers(not all) teacher unions, school boards and our Governor are truly hurting our children!!

Someone please explain to me why we are where we are with high-school sports, but yet our local Fredericksburg field house is bustling everyday/night with a packed house playing multiple mask less sports. Fredericksburg Christian and St. Michaels private schools are holding thier home high school football games here. I went by the other day to watch some private high school football, which was pretty good. If they allow all this action at one condensed location, then why in the heck cant our public schools get back to normal and also play sports?? One other thing, so our area schools are back to conditioning in person, agian lets get the kids back to full time school, they, teachers(not all) teacher unions, school boards and our Governor are truly hurting our children!!
I think you already know the answer to your question. Politics. Plain and simple.

Teacher’s unions are powerless in VA. Literally no power at all. They’re not making ANY decisions.

Reactions: schoolboard
I’m a VCU basketball season ticket holder and we received confirmation that 1,000 fans will be permitted in the stands. I just wonder why this isn’t the case for high schools and they’re only allowing 250?

In regards to the teacher unions I have to disagree, the Fairfax County union is pretty powerful and dictating most every move. However, the board has issued a return to work or go elsewhere ultimatum. The union has a wish list of wants that has nothing to do with COVID.

In regards to the teacher unions I have to disagree, the Fairfax County union is pretty powerful and dictating most every move. However, the board has issued a return to work or go elsewhere ultimatum. The union has a wish list of wants that has nothing to do with COVID.

Just saying, the unions have no contract bargaining power. The board may be bowing to the teachers, but that’s more a reflection of the school board’s take on the county’s overall constituent attitude. Down in the Richmond area, there are some divisions that are operating differently. Same union parent organization. What’s the difference? Local leaders blaming teacher unions for their decisions is bogus.

Reactions: schoolboard
250 at GW is almost 25% for BB. l guess it is 10% at Halifax. Conversely GW probably has over 3 times as much football capacity.

Remember that 250 includes players, coaches, managers, cheerleaders, and staff running the event.
I believe this will hold water for winter sports but I doubt it’ll stay that way for outdoor sports. I believe that Covid will be gone and a horrible memory by the time football season starts, but if it’s not, I can see them allowing 1000 spectators at outdoor events.

Yeah 250 is ridiculous and utterly stupid, especially for an outdoor game. Also no jump ball to start a basketball game? Don’t know how that’s going to solve anything guess kids will play defense 6 feet back? Was hoping the 757 was going to open The Scope up and play it’s marque basketball games there but I guess not with this stupid 250 cap. Could’ve definitely distanced in there and even the Arthur Ashe/Siegel Center (804), Dedmon Center, Roanoke and Salem Civic Center (Roanoke/NRV), Vines Center (Lynchburg) and GMU (NoVA).
The Vines Center is longer a basketball arena. Been redone. LU has built a 4,000 seat arena right beside the Vines Center.

250 people at an outside game is really a low number. When NASCAR raced at Martinsville last month, only 1,000 fans were allowed in an arena that holds 70,000 fans.

I believe this will hold water for winter sports but I doubt it’ll stay that way for outdoor sports. I believe that Covid will be gone and a horrible memory by the time football season starts, but if it’s not, I can see them allowing 1000 spectators at outdoor events.

It definitely won't but we've gotten exceedingly good news from the Pfizer vaccine today and I could see Q1 or so being around the time when a lot (but not remotely close to all) of people have the chance to start getting their shots. The vaccine isn't an instant fix either, and we'll need a booster a month later (like many vaccines) just at the get go but it's going to take people not believing idiot conspiracy theories and actually lining up and getting their shots so we can get things back on track. It's going to take time to inoculate hundreds of millions of Americans so be aware that you can't just get your shots personally and expect everything to just open back up overnight but once the process starts we will have a guaranteed destination and it shouldn't take too terribly long to get there. We're really close to being able to see the light at the end of the tunnel on this thing, we just need to stay vigilant (unlike right now, for example, where the US is setting new all-time records).

I will, however, bet you a shiny nickel that by the true 2021 season's start we will be back to normal.

It definitely won't but we've gotten exceedingly good news from the Pfizer vaccine today and I could see Q1 or so being around the time when a lot (but not remotely close to all) of people have the chance to start getting their shots. The vaccine isn't an instant fix either, and we'll need a booster a month later (like many vaccines) just at the get go but it's going to take people not believing idiot conspiracy theories and actually lining up and getting their shots so we can get things back on track. It's going to take time to inoculate hundreds of millions of Americans so be aware that you can't just get your shots personally and expect everything to just open back up overnight but once the process starts we will have a guaranteed destination and it shouldn't take too terribly long to get there. We're really close to being able to see the light at the end of the tunnel on this thing, we just need to stay vigilant (unlike right now, for example, where the US is setting new all-time records).

I will, however, bet you a shiny nickel that by the true 2021 season's start we will be back to normal.
Sadly, I have seen some polls (unscientific) that say about 65% of the group polled would not get a vaccine since they feel it isn't "safe". This is far higher than the normal anti-vax crowd and is worrisome. When a vaccine is released, it will be safe but we are still going to have the deniers among us - and that will trickle down to affect things like HS sports.

Sadly, I have seen some polls (unscientific) that say about 65% of the group polled would not get a vaccine since they feel it isn't "safe". This is far higher than the normal anti-vax crowd and is worrisome. When a vaccine is released, it will be safe but we are still going to have the deniers among us - and that will trickle down to affect things like HS sports.

Those polls are relatively meaningless right now because the vaccine isn't a reality for people yet, I'm not worried. I'd also expect state governments to mandate the vaccine for kids (with zero non-medical excuses) which would help shut down a huge vector for the virus. Frontline workers and the elderly won't believe any of those foolish theories either because they're primarily the ones dying and then I'd also expect a lot of businesses to mandate the vaccine as well. Everyone else will fall in line once they see their fears were completely unfounded (primarily due to staggeringly poor education in this country, it's sad how many people don't know how vaccines work).

The good news is if that 90% efficacy rate continues to hold true, and it likely will, then a lot of these ignorant fools can be carried by the rest of us as herd immunity numbers will only need to be about 60%. The original hope with the vaccine was efficacy in the 55%-60% range which would have meant a far higher number for herd immunity but since the vaccine seems to be doing a bangup job we don't need to worry about convincing all these idiots who only get their news from Facebook.

I live in Campbell County, Close to Rustburg. I heard today open gyms are being allowed. You have to bring your own ball and no one else can use your ball. Doubtful Rustburg has any "B" teams.
Football is holding a sorta practice. The Quarterback throws the ball up in the air to simulate a snap and cannot pass or hand the ball off to anyone.
With the number of Covid cases going up everyday, I am doubtful of any high school sports being played in Virginia. Northram doesn't like anyone having a good time expect him at Virginia Beach with no mask on.

Reactions: ClarkeFan83
In the 757, at the VABeach SportsPlex, they've been hosting FridayNightLights 7 on 7 games for about 8 weeks. A couple of games reached full Covid-19 capacity (Not Every Seat), closer to 1000 fans. At least a couple hundred players on the field at a time with 4 teams playing 4 teams prepping to play every hour!!!

Zero reasons to limit stadium capacity except for the Governor's power grab via the VHSL....Heck schools are allowing students to attend classes with increases in the Covid-19 cases!!! Makes no sense at all except if you admit the political motives.

I'm from Indiana, they played a full season, are in week three of their playoffs. Each school gets to sell 500 tickets. They have separate fan entrances for each team, etc.

The science from the VERY beginning proved that only the sickest are at risk. Get them the vaccine & let's start living!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT