7. Salem 20.75
8. Orange County 19.33
9. Amherst County 17.66
10. Blacksburg 17.25
11. Millbrook 17.00
12. Halifax County 12.66
13. Charlottesville 12.33
14. Liberty-Bealeton 12.00
Appreciate you Spartan. Damn shame that Mecklenburg has played the worst C4, C5, and C6 schedule and has a 4 seed right now. I know it’s early… VA should go to the North Carolina model and take W/L plus strength of schedule to determine rankings/seedings.

Appreciate you Spartan. Damn shame that Mecklenburg has played the worst C4, C5, and C6 schedule and has a 4 seed right now. I know it’s early… VA should go to the North Carolina model and take W/L plus strength of schedule to determine rankings/seedings.
I would not be opposed to that. These ratings are based on the math I’ve done. I used the formula that I found online for point ratings. I tried to get this as accurate as I can.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
Looks good to me. I appreciate you doing this for us.
Absolutely. I will say as far as the defense for the Spartans I do think the front four on the defensive line has been playing well. However, I’ve noticed that the corners and defensive backs need work. They tend to give up too many big plays on the outside as well as in the passing game. I think they will jell at the right time and I do think the final four is possible for this team. I do worry about potentially them having to go back up to Tuscarora in December. Tusky is a tough place to play. I was there last year for the state semis. The Huskies still have a great receiver in Dawson Pough. Boston College commit. He could give the Salem secondary fits.

Semis? Loooooooooooong way off for this Salem team. Coen Logan must return, defense must get tougher and my goodness, the coaches need to get the kids' heads screwed on straight. I bet there was a solid 6-8 times last week where someone was missing from a play and had to be yelled at to go off the sideline and get in. They came out of a timeout with 13 kids on the field! I've never seen a Salem team that lackadaisical and unprepared and my view count on games is in the several hundreds range. It's not like there's 80 kids on the sideline or the staff allows them to roam, there's like 20 kids on the sidelines and they're always clumped together near the staff, should never be shouting and looking for that many missing kids on that many plays.

As it stands right now, I feel like 12 games is where they're at if they get a decent seed. 13 would be a successful season, anything else would be massive overachieving. We'll see where they are in six weeks or so but right now? Yeesh.

Semis? Loooooooooooong way off for this Salem team. Coen Logan must return, defense must get tougher and my goodness, the coaches need to get the kids' heads screwed on straight. I bet there was a solid 6-8 times last week where someone was missing from a play and had to be yelled at to go off the sideline and get in. They came out of a timeout with 13 kids on the field!

I've never seen a Salem team that lackadaisical and unprepared and my view count on games is in the several hundreds range. As it stands right now, I feel like 12 games is where they're at. 13 would be a successful season, anything else would be massive overachieving. We'll see where they are in six weeks or so but right now? Yeesh.
I would agree with you there that Coen needs to return. I’m not sure what the injury is for him but if he can’t return that’s a big blow. There does seem like there is times where the kids for Salem are not sure what is going on. This needs to be cleared up. They have a lot of work to do. PH will test them. I could see them losing on Thursday to PH. After PH they should be able to do enough to win out with the remaining schedule. If they draw a team like GW or Handley in the first round they could very well lose in the first round this year. This Spartan team probably will not have enough points to be able to host a semi game if they make it that far. I think Tusky comes out of 4C. I could also see Champe or County as a dark horse winning 4C. I used to live near Loudoun County and I saw most teams in that area play. 4C has gotten stronger over the years.

How is the SOS determined?

1. Sherando 24.50
2. EC Glass 22.50
3. Jefferson Forest 22.25
4. Mecklenburg County 21.75
5. GW-Danville 21.33
6. John Handley 21.25
6. James Wood 21.25
7. Salem 20.75
8. Orange County 19.33
9. Amherst County 17.66
10. Blacksburg 17.25
11. Millbrook 17.00
12. Halifax County 12.66
13. Charlottesville 12.33
14. Liberty-Bealeton 12.00
I wonder what 4B looks like so far

How is the SOS determined?
I may have a few facts missing but they have internals within MaxPreps that calculate it. They base rankings, seedings and SOS solely through MaxPreps. @CountryClubJoesSecretAlias would probably know more. It’s definitely not perfect but you don't have any Mecklenburg’s who’ve played two Class 1 teams getting a home game in the playoffs over a Salem who’s played the #1 C3 and #2 C5 team.

I may have a few facts missing but they have internals within MaxPreps that calculate it. They base rankings, seedings and SOS solely through MaxPreps. @CountryClubJoesSecretAlias would probably know more. It’s definitely not perfect but you don't have any Mecklenburg’s who’ve played two Class 1 teams getting a home game in the playoffs over a Salem who’s played the #1 C3 and #2 C5 team.
"It’s definitely not perfect but you don't have any Mecklenburg’s who’ve played two Class 1 teams getting a home game in the playoffs over a Salem who’s played the #1 C3 and #2 C5 team."

By the end of the season this will probably work itself out, but your point is still well made. The VHSL should come up with a little better system. I think currently they leave it to each Reg to determine playoff criteria. Some would prefer an universal system for determining playoff eligibility and criteria.

"It’s definitely not perfect but you don't have any Mecklenburg’s who’ve played two Class 1 teams getting a home game in the playoffs over a Salem who’s played the #1 C3 and #2 C5 team."

By the end of the season this will probably work itself out, but your point is still well made. The VHSL should come up with a little better system. I think currently they leave it to each Reg to determine playoff criteria. Some would prefer a universal system for determining playoff eligibility and criteria.
You’re 100% right Mike. I did leave out a big part. Playoff seeding are also based on how you do in your district (they go by conferences in NC) . You don’t see a 7-3 Halifax loading up on C2 and C3 teams, losing to GW, who played three C4 teams OOD, for the District Championship, and then Halifax getting the 4 seed over GW because GW lost to Amherst and Glass. That’s just an example but it actually happened a few years ago. GW won the District Championship and had to go on the road in the playoffs to South Boston.

You’re 100% right Mike. I did leave out a big part. Playoff seeding are also based on how you do in your district (they go by conferences in NC) . You don’t see a 7-3 Halifax loading up on C2 and C3 teams, losing to GW, who played three C4 teams OOD, for the District Championship, and then Halifax getting the 4 seed over GW because GW lost to Amherst and Glass. That’s just an example but it actually happened a few years ago. GW won the District Championship and had to go on the road in the playoffs to South Boston.
The system needs tweaking at the least.

Reactions: falcettik
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT