ADVERTISEMENT

Warhill pulls it out 27-20

Lafayette

VaPreps All District
Aug 26, 2001
Out scored Lafayette 20-3 in the second half as penalties plagued Lafayette and some strange play calling in the end. With 1:30 to go, Warhill with 1 TO and after two penalties pushing Lafayette back to their own 35, rather than run the clock out to OT (score was 20-20) the brain trust tried passing and resulted an Int leading to the winning Td with 18 seconds left by Warhill.

Good teams find a way to win. I get it @Lafayette, I felt a bit like that last week but you have a good team down there. Sometimes coaches get caught up in the moment and make mistakes. I know it sucks, but just like me, you need to reflect and be grateful for the job your coach has done through the years. Not many bad seasons for you guys.

Good teams find a way to win. I get it @Lafayette, I felt a bit like that last week but you have a good team down there. Sometimes coaches get caught up in the moment and make mistakes. I know it sucks, but just like me, you need to reflect and be grateful for the job your coach has done through the years. Not many bad seasons for you guys.
I agree sometimes the coaches get caught up in the moment. Lafayette this year hasn’t passed well and to try with a little over a minute left in a tie game from 70 yards away was a real stretch. Imo and only my opinion, the wing T offense is a relic. Warhill switched this year to a pro style offense from the wing T and it was a very good move and resulted in a dynamic and a very balanced offense.

Well you can run any offense and be successful if you have the right players. It's tough in today's game to find kids with size, speed, technique and ability to hold blocks. The wing t requires all of the above and just maybe Lafayette doesn't have the horses to run it. Defenses are a lot faster now and disrupt slow developing offenses. Now failing to acknowledge the above would be a coaching issue. Some coaches just will not adapt or change.

Well you can run any offense and be successful if you have the right players. It's tough in today's game to find kids with size, speed, technique and ability to hold blocks. The wing t requires all of the above and just maybe Lafayette doesn't have the horses to run it. Defenses are a lot faster now and disrupt slow developing offenses. Now failing to acknowledge the above would be a coaching issue. Some coaches just will not adapt or change.
Your comments are spot on. This year Lafayette on offense lacks the usual big FB and rb speed to go outside. In last two games 4 chop block penalties indicates like you said a tough time in blocking. I see defenses now crashing the line to disrupt the wing T as the passing game is minimal. Your last sentence resonates with me.

I sure remember those “discussions” with Devil. I thought I heard he went as AD to Grafton. If true that that is funny considering his comments on the bay rivers.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
I believe, he is the Athletic Director at Poquoson. So, yes it is ironic. He is such a hard worker and innovative young man. He will do good things on the Island. I know you guys had issues, but it was because you were so loyal to your given programs. LT plays any and everyone and Lafayette doesn't. It seems you have actually changed your way of thinking on the Rams scheduling as well, so maybe there is some common ground.

I believe, he is the Athletic Director at Poquoson. So, yes it is ironic. He is such a hard worker and innovative young man. He will do good things on the Island. I know you guys had issues, but it was because you were so loyal to your given programs. LT plays any and everyone and Lafayette doesn't. It seems you have actually changed your way of thinking on the Rams scheduling as well, so maybe there is some common ground.

Yes, common ground for sure. Lafayette does not schedule the toughest OOD opponents and it’s really needed. Especially in years like now where in football the Bay Rivers is particularly weak and it will show later on.

Hey, Lafayette, do you know how many penalties the Rams had? That second half was painful to watch....

Hey, Lafayette, do you know how many penalties the Rams had? That second half was painful to watch....
Unfortunately I didn’t keep count but the volume was high; offsides, pass interference, multiple procedure calls and those multiple recurring chop block penalties were really killers. I can’t remember a Lafayette team being outscored 20-3 in the 2nd half of a game when a wing T is suppose to be strongest. On defense twice I saw Warhill’s in motion back completely uncovered, I followed him all the way because I suspected he was the target and big plays resulted for Warhill. I and my football buddy both saw it. With proper strategy at the end we would be in OT. May still have lost but the right way to go. I was truly shocked when they passed twice. I don’t get shocked often. Of course my criticism on the Rams website got the comment deleted me blocked from posting. I guess my 26 years following Lafayette doesn’t mean much.

Yes, common ground for sure. Lafayette does not schedule the toughest OOD opponents and it’s really needed. Especially in years like now where in football the Bay Rivers is particularly weak and it will show later on.
Why is it ... when Lafayette isn't dominating the District, your default comment is always "BRD is weak this year"...
I'm not trying to start an argument with you, it's just something that I've noticed from you after being a member of this board for YEARS! Warhill is a VERY GOOD team this year. Exceptionally good. I understand that it bothers some Ram fans that a lot Lions are opting to stay at Warhill instead of transferring as in previous years. I suspect the switch to a prostyle offense will help Warhill's cause. I still have no issue with stating that Lafayette has most likely, the best coaching staff in the BRD. They get the best out of the young men they suit up....every year.

Why is it ... when Lafayette isn't dominating the District, your default comment is always "BRD is weak this year"...
I'm not trying to start an argument with you, it's just something that I've noticed from you after being a member of this board for YEARS! Warhill is a VERY GOOD team this year. Exceptionally good. I understand that it bothers some Ram fans that a lot Lions are opting to stay at Warhill instead of transferring as in previous years. I suspect the switch to a prostyle offense will help Warhill's cause. I still have no issue with stating that Lafayette has most likely, the best coaching staff in the BRD. They get the best out of the young men they suit up....every year.
Other AD in the BRD have mentioned this year in the Brd is unusually weak. York a top club is really struggling with a large senior class graduating, New Kent usually very good just won their first game (against Jamestown), Jamestown won their first game and hadn’t been close since, Smithfield looked poor against Churchland and Lafayette, Grafton which was suppose to be the surprise team this year is a mediocre 3-3 so far. As far a Warhill they have a great club and at this point better than Lafayette. 19 of 22 positions at Warhill are Seniors and it shows. I really like their pro offense much more than the wing T. As far as dominating the BRD, excluding the 7 point loss to Warhill, the three other BRD games Lafayette has played (3-0) they outscored them 107-14 so I haven’t clue what your talking about. Have a nice day.

Reactions: gwb16
Other AD in the BRD have mentioned this year in the Brd is unusually weak. York a top club is really struggling with a large senior class graduating, New Kent usually very good just won their first game (against Jamestown), Jamestown won their first game and hadn’t been close since, Smithfield looked poor against Churchland and Lafayette, Grafton which was suppose to be the surprise team this year is a mediocre 3-3 so far. As far a Warhill they have a great club and at this point better than Lafayette. 19 of 22 positions at Warhill are Seniors and it shows. I really like their pro offense much more than the wing T. As far as dominating the BRD, excluding the 7 point loss to Warhill, the three other BRD games Lafayette has played (3-0) they outscored them 107-14 so I haven’t clue what your talking about. Have a nice day.
New Kent hasn't been significant in YEARS. Grafton is still rebuilding. York is definitely struggling (shocking to me). Tabb is by far one of the most improved teams in the 757. Poquoson, has been extremely competitive since Coach Duty's first season 0-10...and I wrote here on VAPREPS that they were the BEST winless team in the state of Virginia that year. Bruton is finally looking better. Smithfield is very young, a bevy of sophomores on both sides of the ball. I think we would agree that 99% of everyone expected Warhill and Lafayette to be near the top of the standings and fighting for the top spot. I'm not surprised.
I thought my point was pretty clear, if Lafayette isn't pitching shutouts or winning by 60, you belittle the rest of the district. Without fail. It's all good though. I'm not asking you to own it. You never do. I don't expect that to change.

757Teamz last week had Warhill 6th in their 757 rankings. Lafayette 9th. That poll includes Southside/Beach.....SOMEONE other than you or unnamed AD's think differently.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
New Kent hasn't been significant in YEARS. Grafton is still rebuilding. York is definitely struggling (shocking to me). Tabb is by far one of the most improved teams in the 757. Poquoson, has been extremely competitive since Coach Duty's first season 0-10...and I wrote here on VAPREPS that they were the BEST winless team in the state of Virginia that year. Bruton is finally looking better. Smithfield is very young, a bevy of sophomores on both sides of the ball. I think we would agree that 99% of everyone expected Warhill and Lafayette to be near the top of the standings and fighting for the top spot. I'm not surprised.
I thought my point was pretty clear, if Lafayette isn't pitching shutouts or winning by 60, you belittle the rest of the district. Without fail. It's all good though. I'm not asking you to own it. You never do. I don't expect that to change.

757Teamz last week had Warhill 6th in their 757 rankings. Lafayette 9th. That poll includes Southside/Beach.....SOMEONE other than you or unnamed AD's think differently.
Your comment on me I find humorous (winning by 60 or pitching shutouts). On your Tabb comment you do realize that 4 of their 5 wins were against teams that are 1-5 right now? That qualifies as most improved in all 757? Let’s wait a little. Warhill proved their mettle and deserved ranking by dominating a very good Matoaca team from Richmond that surprised the people up there.

Your comment on me I find humorous (winning by 60 or pitching shutouts). On your Tabb comment you do realize that 4 of their 5 wins were against teams that are 1-5 right now? That qualifies as most improved in all 757? Let’s wait a little. Warhill proved their mettle and deserved ranking by dominating a very good Matoaca team from Richmond that surprised the people up there.
Last year, Tabb would have had 1 win against this opening stretch for them. They're scoring points and closing it out. They may not win another game the rest of season, but they're looking better right now. Oh wait....acknowledging that would contradict yourself. Never mind.
My comment isn't humorous Dwight. It's precisely what I've come to expect. I KNEW that your comments on the game were going to be something very close to what you stated....before I ever clicked on the link. Apparently you don't realize you do it and maybe that's because your Rams are always leading the charge in the BRD....that's a good place to be. Enjoy it, as you should.

Last year, Tabb would have had 1 win against this opening stretch for them. They're scoring points and closing it out. They may not win another game the rest of season, but they're looking better right now. Oh wait....acknowledging that would contradict yourself. Never mind.
My comment isn't humorous Dwight. It's precisely what I've come to expect. I KNEW that your comments on the game were going to be something very close to what you stated....before I ever clicked on the link. Apparently you don't realize you do it and maybe that's because your Rams are always leading the charge in the BRD....that's a good place to be. Enjoy it, as you should.

My last comment on all this. Comparing one year to another is a very difficult task as schedules change as does the level of the teams themselves. Tabb’s opening 6 games last year included Warhill, Lafayette, a 7-3 York team and a 6-5 Heritage team. Imo that makes a year to year comparison at this stage premature .

My last comment on all this. Comparing one year to another is a very difficult task as schedules change as does the level of the teams themselves. Tabb’s opening 6 games last year included Warhill, Lafayette, a 7-3 York team and a 6-5 Heritage team. Imo that makes a year to year comparison at this stage premature .
As is comparing the total wins of their opponents to date. Teams matchup differently.
I didn't think Smithfield had a chance against Grafton last week....but here we are.
I also thought that Lafayette would prevail last week because of the "history". That does matter to some degree even with the high turnover of players at the high school level and the consistency of Lafayette speaks for itself.
I don't want you to think I was taking a "shot" at you. I was just making an observation. You're the only Lafayette fan that has been here for the long haul, I applaud that. It was just a casual observation, from another Bay Rivers fan...

Reactions: Lafayette
Wow, 19 of 22 slots filled by seniors. Warhill better make some waves this year. Next year might be a little tough.

Reactions: Lafayette

I have been watching high school football for so long that I watched New York Giants Super Bowl RB Joe Morris play in high school. I have only heard Bill Belichick mention Lafayette's Lawrence Taylor when talking about the art of playing defense. He didn't want to talk about anyone else. So if Lafayette is anyone's gold standard for the Bay Rivers District they are not talking nonsense. Lafayette has produced game changing NFL football players. Cowboys, Lions and Giants. (Oh My!) If Warhill has finally arrived this year they still need to get it done deep in the playoffs multiple years. Have they? The commenter has every right to use Lafayette as his ruler for measurement each year. I would and evidently so does Bill.

I have been watching high school football for so long that I watched New York Giants Super Bowl RB Joe Morris play in high school. I have only heard Bill Belichick mention Lafayette's Lawrence Taylor when talking about the art of playing defense. He didn't want to talk about anyone else. So if Lafayette is anyone's gold standard for the Bay Rivers District they are not talking nonsense. Lafayette has produced game changing NFL football players. Cowboys, Lions and Giants. (Oh My!) If Warhill has finally arrived this year they still need to get it done deep in the playoffs multiple years. Have they? The commenter has every right to use Lafayette as his ruler for measurement each year. I would and evidently so does Bill.
I agree.

With the exception of those years when Lafayette was the PD doormat...I agree.
Lafayette has definitely been the standard for the BRD/York River District, and there was Grafton and Tabb for a few years....but one cannot overlook the Rams as a legitimate contender EVERY year.....for district dominance.

I agree.

With the exception of those years when Lafayette was the PD doormat...I agree.
Lafayette has definitely been the standard for the BRD/York River District, and there was Grafton and Tabb for a few years....but one cannot overlook the Rams as a legitimate contender EVERY year.....for district dominance.
Something I wanted to ask. Do you think people have forgotten that Tabb used to be the best team between the PD and BRD when they had Kirby and Slade?

Something I wanted to ask. Do you think people have forgotten that Tabb used to be the best team between the PD and BRD when they had Kirby and Slade?
I haven't forgotten. LOL...Mike Smith hasn't forgotten either...
Those Tabb teams were devastating. They weren't just Kirby and Slade...they were loaded all over the field. Chris and Terry got all of the press.... with good reason but those teams were devastating.

• Haha
Reactions: Kenneth Harris
I haven't forgotten. LOL...Mike Smith hasn't forgotten either...
Those Tabb teams were devastating. They weren't just Kirby and Slade...they were loaded all over the field. Chris and Terry got all of the press.... with good reason but those teams were devastating.
No he never will. Those Tabb teams were dominant. Having multiple future pro football players for the Tigers was a magical time.

Reactions: gwb16 and mbonape1
No he never will. Those Tabb teams were dominant. Having multiple future pro football players for the Tigers was a magical time.
I remember going to Bailey Field to watch Gloucester and Tabb play in the first round of the playoffs. Terry Kirby touched the ball 4 times in the first quarter, had 4 TDs and I don't believe a single Duke laid a finger on him. It was so unfair 😂😂😂

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT