ADVERTISEMENT

Way too early top 8...

It's not tuition to play football. It's to go to the school. I don't think you can play right away either. You have to sit out a semester. Their are plenty of students that don't live in Salem and come there for school. Many don't even play sports.
Semester? Usually a 365 rule without a corresponding change in parents' address.

Last edited:
Reactions: SFUWO
Lol, No, I read the post(s), correctly. I asked why a players (Glenvar QB) parents would move twice and two of you said they could pay tuition. One of you said "$250.00 which is a ridiculously low price. The initial statement was "would he come back to Salem". I know the VHSL transfer rule well and neither of you even mentioned a waiting period.. That's the reason I sarcastically said I would put an All Star team together. Now why would the kid transfer to Glenvar and then come back to Salem and only to lose a year. On another note your initial post mentioned something different as well (you have since thought better and edited a few things out). I love the heck out of you brother and enjoy the heck out of reading your stuff. I think you forgot what WE both do for a living. I said several post before my intent was not to insinuate. I have often made fun of others posters saying Salem took liberties or recruited. In the beginning I was going to joke and say now we know how Salem gets all of it's studs, but I didn't want the school or this board to implode. Again I was poking fun. I have mad respect for Salem's program and wish it well.

Lol, No, I read the post(s), correctly. I asked why a players (Glenvar QB) parents would move twice and two of you said they could pay tuition. One of you said "$250.00 which is a ridiculously low price. The initial statement was "would he come back to Salem". I know the VHSL transfer rule well and neither of you even mentioned a waiting period.. That's the reason I sarcastically said I would put an All Star team together. Now why would the kid transfer to Glenvar and then come back to Salem and only to lose a year. On another note your initial post mentioned something different as well (you have since thought better and edited a few things out). I love the heck out of you brother and enjoy the heck out of reading your stuff. I think you forgot what WE both do for a living. I said several post before my intent was not to insinuate. I have often made fun of others posters saying Salem took liberties or recruited. In the beginning I was going to joke and say now we know how Salem gets all of it's studs, but I didn't want the school or this board to implode. Again I was poking fun. I have mad respect for Salem's program and wish it well.
No worries. I didn't take the time to post it correctly. Do to a busy day. I went back to clear it up some. We have had plenty of student athletes go from Salem to Glenvar and from Glenvar to Salem over the yrs. Not one has returned that I can think of It is a 365 waiting period unless your in 8th or 9th grade when you enroll at the beginning of the year. I initially put one semester in a response but was corrected. Now im 100% sure that he will stay at Glenvar. I believe I've stated this on the C2 board to squash any rumors. I know a few of the coaches at Glenvar and they are excited to see how he grows. They can pay tuition if they wanted him to go back to Salem. They would have to apply and be accepted but I think they are happy were they are at.

Last edited:
It's not tuition to play football. It's to go to the school. I don't think you can play right away either. You have to sit out (365). Most of the students that pay tuition were former students that moved out of Salem.
That is correct. If you pay tuition to attend a school outside of your zone then you may not participate in sports for 365 days.

@wolverinedad2018, you pestered the mess out of us last week about Region C not getting any respect, so its time to crow. Tell us about the Woodgrove team returning to Class 4. Will they be a contender or pretender?
@wolverinedad2018, you pestered the mess out of us last week about Region C not getting any respect, so its time to crow. Tell us about the Woodgrove team returning to Class 4. Will they be a contender or pretender?
Woodgrove was supposed to have a break out season this past season and challenge Stone Bridge. One of the dads told me this was the most talent they ever had on both sides of the ball, I took that with a grain of salt. By the second game of the season I knew they were the same as they’ve always been since moving up to Class 5. 7-3 team that puts up a fight in round 1 but loses. They’ve lost size since 2018. Their defense is small and gets pushed around. They had tremendous potential on the offense side but run the single wing which I believe limits them tremendously. Stone Bridge has perfected it. They lose the 3 best players on their team (RB, WR/DB, OL/DL). The senior class went undefeated as freshman and they return 3/4 of their roster so there’s hope. I’ll do my research as the season gets closer.

Reactions: mike salem
Woodgrove was supposed to have a break out season this past season and challenge Stone Bridge. One of the dads told me this was the most talent they ever had on both sides of the ball, I took that with a grain of salt. By the second game of the season I knew they were the same as they’ve always been since moving up to Class 5. 7-3 team that puts up a fight in round 1 but loses. They’ve lost size since 2018. Their defense is small and gets pushed around. They had tremendous potential on the offense side but run the single wing which I believe limits them tremendously. Stone Bridge has perfected it. They lose the 3 best players on their team (RB, WR/DB, OL/DL). The senior class went undefeated as freshman and they return 3/4 of their roster so there’s hope. I’ll do my research as the season gets closer.
Mike Skinner was a heck of a coach. This is probably the biggest reason for some of the struggles. Don't know anything about the current coach but sometimes it's hard to replace a coach like Skinner. He won a AAA title at Centreville in 2000 and was in the staff at Stone Bridge for 2 runner ups. Not to mention he win C4 his last yr

Last edited:
Adding Woodgrove and John Champe to C4 should really make Reg C much stronger. I enjoyed the games with both teams in the playoffs a few years back before they moved up. Hopefully they will consistently compete with Tuscarora and Broad Run for the Reg.

Mike Skinner is still on staff at Woodgrove serving as DC. The Wolverines gave up 23 PPG and scored 30 PPG this past season running everything from Single Wing to Quads Empty.

Reactions: SFUWO
Mike Skinner is still on staff at Woodgrove serving as DC. The Wolverines gave up 23 PPG and scored 30 PPG this past season running everything from Single Wing to Quads Empty.
Coach Skinner is the Defensive coach. Against good offensive teams they let up big points (Stone Bridge 49, Champe 34, Briar Woods 34, Forest Park 40). I don't think it's Coach Skinner's scheme. They were very undersized for 5A and let up a lot of rushing yards. Champe had a stud at QB and were much better than Woodgrove by the middle of the season after dropping the opener to Woodgrove. If Broad Run and Tuscarora can get back to where they were, Loudoun County staying strong and Woodgrove/Champe returning, this could be a strong Region (very competitive). Thats a big "If" there.

A lot of people have talked about the loss of our senior class and admittedly those kids will be missed. Especially on the defensive side of the ball.

Earlier this season I incorrectly stated we were a year away and honestly I thought the Generals were. First, Harry was only 15 and had not started a varsity game at QB. Due to injury he only played in six games at rb last year. His running mates Tucker and Wiggins had very little if any varsity experience as well.

Next year Dalton and company will have most of the lineman and support cast they have played with since he was 7 years old. They won a minors super bowl, juniors super bowl, and middle school championship during their time together.

@MaroonDude, always asks about JV teams and for those who have seen us it was not pretty (3-5). The good thing is most of these young men were on the varsity roster getting valuable reps and working on the scout teams.

Coach Mills touched on this in his press conference after the championship game. He said the "Generals practices/scrimmages we're tougher than most of our games." The following is a list of our up and coming interior lineman including class and weight. As you will see the cupboard is not as bare as people keep saying. Our Middle School team won their championship again and had 60 players on the roster. Four of their five offensive lineman were over 245. I worked out at the gym with two of the 7th graders this past summer. Both were very big and strong.

C-Tyrus Sampson, Soph, 200
G-Kenneth Boys, Soph, 220
T -Tristen Graves, Soph, 6'2"335
DT- Dylan Harris, Soph, 235
G - Steven Boyd, Fr., 245
T/DT- Lamont Lewis Fr., 225
T- Jacobi Jordan, Fr. 280
? - Will Lewis, 8th grade, 245

My good friend and barber in RVA (he’s a Springer) keeps up with youth league in Henrico and Chesterfield. He told me that Dinwiddie’s youth league is tops in the area in terms of community support and development. 500-600 people at those ball games and the kids play the right way. They spent millions on a community stadium off of 460 a few years back and the facilities are top notch. The future looks bright in Dinwiddie.

GW will have the largest increase in wins 2023 over 2022 in 4D.
Mori Dixon will be huge next year and will be the best player in the region. A poster posted that he’d be out for the year and a player on the team told me he’d be back last season.. He’ll be back for spring practice and I look forward to watching him play the defending state champs in Danville during week 1. GW has a chance to be special next year. The running game will be good and it’s some JV guys that’ll take big steps on varsity.

My good friend and barber in RVA (he’s a Springer) keeps up with youth league in Henrico and Chesterfield. He told me that Dinwiddie’s youth league is tops in the area in terms of community support and development. 500-600 people at those ball games and the kids play the right way. They spent millions on a community stadium off of 460 a few years back and the facilities are top notch. The future looks bright in Dinwiddie.
I was dead set against the Dinwiddie Sports Complex. I thought it was mistake.

I am glad to say that I was wrong for several reasons. Not the least of which is how many kids have been drawn into organized youth sports. And most kids in organized youth sports stay out of serious trouble.

Not just OL, Defense has a lot to improve on as well. Weight room & conditioning
Salem will have at least 3 power 5 D1 players. Their back 7 on defense should be special. For Salem it will come down to can they come up with two defensive tackles that can stand up to the best competition in 4a , and can they come up with an offensive line that can do the same. The third big question is at qb. If they move 3 to qb that will make them an even more explosive running team considering Lewis and Jones are returning also. However, may take away from play action passing game. .

I was dead set against the Dinwiddie Sports Complex. I thought it was mistake.

I am glad to say that I was wrong for several reasons. Not the least of which is how many kids have been drawn into organized youth sports. And most kids in organized youth sports stay out of serious trouble.
What made you think it was a mistake (at the time)?

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Salem will have at least 3 power 5 D1 players. Their back 7 on defense should be special. For Salem it will come down to can they come up with two defensive tackles that can stand up to the best competition in 4a , and can they come up with an offensive line that can do the same. The third big question is at qb. If they move 3 to qb that will make them an even more explosive running team considering Lewis and Jones are returning also. However, may take away from play action passing game. .
Wonder if any thought about putting Allen back at FB 3 7 and 2 in the backfield.

Wonder if any thought about putting Allen back at FB 3 7 and 2 in the backfield.
Wouldn't think so. Jones really runs hard. If 3 goes to qb that would put 3 dynamic runners in the backfield together. Just put in a few more designed qb runs and maybe run more of a wild cat when we go spread..
The big need is interior lineman on both sides of ball.

I gave the cost. I don’t know what it is now but the cost was $250 a semester. We looked into it when our son was in elementary school and we lived in Roanoke City. Grades are a definite factor and they will only accept so many. If you child is getting ready to start school you can apply and they look at the current enrollment at each of the 4 elementary schools and your child is placed in the school with the lowest enrollment if they are accepted. Same with Roanoke City and Roanoke Co. it’s $3k for one and $3.5k a year for the other.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
What made you think it was a mistake (at the time)?
I did not agree that the county should be spending that amount of money on a recreational facility. We have a very strong network of privately maintained athletic facilities across the county. Ruitan and other civic clubs, churches, even individually owned facilities, that have met the needs for county recreation for many years. However, in hindsight, the fact that the county built a first class facility that has attracted everything from T-ball and flag football, to college softball tournaments is a good thing. Dinwiddie High School even played a football game or two there during the pandemic.

Another reason I was opposed was that the people in charge of developing the facility were very egotistical, and basically they were building a facility in their own honor. My belief about this has not changed. However, the end result was a facility that is impressive, functional, and highly utilized.

So I guess it’s a good thing that I wasn’t the one making the decision.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
Yeah, county government sure does like to make sure they memorialize themselves when building stuff like that. People pretending to be “aw shucks, me?” in public while propping themselves up as much as possible behind closed doors. I get that. Glad Dinwiddie invested in the facility though!

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
A lot of people have talked about the loss of our senior class and admittedly those kids will be missed. Especially on the defensive side of the ball.

Earlier this season I incorrectly stated we were a year away and honestly I thought the Generals were. First, Harry was only 15 and had not started a varsity game at QB. Due to injury he only played in six games at rb last year. His running mates Tucker and Wiggins had very little if any varsity experience as well.

Next year Dalton and company will have most of the lineman and support cast they have played with since he was 7 years old. They won a minors super bowl, juniors super bowl, and middle school championship during their time together.

@MaroonDude, always asks about JV teams and for those who have seen us it was not pretty (3-5). The good thing is most of these young men were on the varsity roster getting valuable reps and working on the scout teams.

Coach Mills touched on this in his press conference after the championship game. He said the "Generals practices/scrimmages we're tougher than most of our games." The following is a list of our up and coming interior lineman including class and weight. As you will see the cupboard is not as bare as people keep saying. Our Middle School team won their championship again and had 60 players on the roster. Four of their five offensive lineman were over 245. I worked out at the gym with two of the 7th graders this past summer. Both were very big and strong.

C-Tyrus Sampson, Soph, 200
G-Kenneth Boys, Soph, 220
T -Tristen Graves, Soph, 6'2"335
DT- Dylan Harris, Soph, 235
G - Steven Boyd, Fr., 245
T/DT- Lamont Lewis Fr., 225
T- Jacobi Jordan, Fr. 280
? - Will Lewis, 8th grade, 245
I've always wondered why Dinwiddie seemed so much better on Varsity when they weren't very good on Jv. Well now it makes sense. If most of the better sophomores were on varsity all year getting valuable practice reps, that explains a lot.

Coach Skinner is the Defensive coach. Against good offensive teams they let up big points (Stone Bridge 49, Champe 34, Briar Woods 34, Forest Park 40). I don't think it's Coach Skinner's scheme. They were very undersized for 5A and let up a lot of rushing yards. Champe had a stud at QB and were much better than Woodgrove by the middle of the season after dropping the opener to Woodgrove. If Broad Run and Tuscarora can get back to where they were, Loudoun County staying strong and Woodgrove/Champe returning, this could be a strong Region (very competitive). Thats a big "If" there.
You said it here. With Woodgrove and Champe coming down, Broad Run returning some key pieces (including RB Aslin Shipe), and County/Valley/Tusky all building on recent success, this should be a VERY competitive region. It will also be interesting that with a Region consisting of ONLY in-county schools, the top teams will have to play, and potentially beat, the other schools twice. As we all know, it is always difficult to beat a good team twice. I would keep that in mind after the regular season as we head into Region play in the fall of 2023!

ps... local rumor is former BR head coach, Matt Griffis, is going to be involved in the Woodgrove offense. If true, this will be an offense that moves away from a single-wing scheme to a much more open, quick hitting, spread power look that was extremely successful in Ashburn.

You said it here. With Woodgrove and Champe coming down, Broad Run returning some key pieces (including RB Aslin Shipe), and County/Valley/Tusky all building on recent success, this should be a VERY competitive region. It will also be interesting that with a Region consisting of ONLY in-county schools, the top teams will have to play, and potentially beat, the other schools twice. As we all know, it is always difficult to beat a good team twice. I would keep that in mind after the regular season as we head into Region play in the fall of 2023!

ps... local rumor is former BR head coach, Matt Griffis, is going to be involved in the Woodgrove offense. If true, this will be an offense that moves away from a single-wing scheme to a much more open, quick hitting, spread power look that was extremely successful in Ashburn.
Griffis? That would be great news. I thought he was done now that the kids are in college. My son coached for Woodgrove in 2019, I'll see if he could get an update from Coach Barlow.

The glass defense will do it for them. I mean they’re just out of this world. Best defense in the state hands down. Their DC must just be an absolute genius

• Haha
Reactions: CVAfootballfan

Heard from a parent, Broad Run former HC Griffis is taking over the Offense and HC Barlow is taking over the defense for Woodgrove. Both are positive moves as the defense was not very good this year. I also heard there is a QB transferring in from a Top program in the DC area. Looking forward to being back in 4A and hopefully a stronger Region C.

Heard from a parent, Broad Run former HC Griffis is taking over the Offense and HC Barlow is taking over the defense for Woodgrove. Both are positive moves as the defense was not very good this year. I also heard there is a QB transferring in from a Top program in the DC area. Looking forward to being back in 4A and hopefully a stronger Region C.
Thank you for confirming! Interested to hear who the transfer coming in is. They have a young, very talented, rising freshman QB (a 2027) who was recruited by the private schools, in their program playing JV football this past fall (the Trace McSorley route). I would imagine the transfer coming in will be a 2024 or 2025 to bridge that gap between the two.

Thank you for confirming! Interested to hear who the transfer coming in is. They have a young, very talented, rising freshman QB (a 2027) who was recruited by the private schools, in their program playing JV football this past fall (the Trace McSorley route). I would imagine the transfer coming in will be a 2024 or 2025 to bridge that gap between the two.
They need to pay more attention to special teams (they've gotten better since 2018). They also need to start stripping the ball. Every advantage helps. I heard DeMatha, but it came from a JV parent.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT